PDA

View Full Version : Legendary military columnist, author Bob Dorr dies at 76

Rainmaker
06-15-2016, 04:03 PM
http://www.airforcetimes.com/story/military/2016/06/14/legendary-military-columnist-author-bob-dorr-dies-76/85869288/

RIP Mr. Dorr.

Mjölnir
06-15-2016, 06:21 PM
Sad to read that ...

Fair winds and following seas Mr. Dorr.

sandsjames
06-15-2016, 06:39 PM
Sad to hear. Robert F. Dorr did a lot for the Air Force. I recommend to everyone who isn't familiar with him to look up some of the History Channel stuff he's done. I really enjoyed when he came around here. Some great conversations. Most importantly, he taught me that two spaces after a period is incorrect and has been since computers took over for typewriters. I still use the two spaces because of bad habits. RIP Mr. Dorr.

Mjölnir
06-15-2016, 08:50 PM
Moved this over to the Air Force section. RFD probably would have wanted it there ... organization be damned :)

Rainmaker
06-15-2016, 09:15 PM
. Some great conversations. Most importantly, he taught me that two spaces after a period is incorrect and has been since computers took over for typewriters. I still use the two spaces because of bad habits. RIP Mr. Dorr.

and who could forget..."There is a rat in separate".
But, I'm still not sure if the period goes before or after the quotation marks?

sandsjames
06-15-2016, 09:15 PM
Moved this over to the Air Force section. RFD probably would have wanted it there ... organization be damned :)

And he'd definitely be pissed that the name in the thread reads "Bob" instead of "Robert".

Mjölnir
06-15-2016, 09:18 PM
And he'd definitely be pissed that the name in the thread reads "Bob" instead of "Robert".

Definitely ...

Mjölnir
06-15-2016, 09:18 PM

Definitely ...

giggawatt
09-19-2016, 02:01 PM
I was saddened by this news as well. I enjoyed his commentary here and in AFT.

sandsjames
09-19-2016, 03:38 PM
I was saddened by this news as well. I enjoyed his commentary here and in AFT.

I'm waiting for an RFD marathon on The History Channel. He was on there quite a few times.

Thomas
03-25-2017, 09:31 AM
I don't post much, but wanted to point out Robert F. Dorr and his work are getting another round of attention thanks to his investigation by the FBI as a kid-which is awesome. Count me as another one who was glad he came by here
http://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/us-diplomat-was-investigated-for-spying-as-a-kid-becaus-1793554752

Steve-OK
03-27-2017, 09:48 PM
I don't post much, but wanted to point out Robert F. Dorr and his work are getting another round of attention thanks to his investigation by the FBI as a kid-which is awesome. Count me as another one who was glad he came by here
http://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/us-diplomat-was-investigated-for-spying-as-a-kid-becaus-1793554752

Wow, that was a great story, RIP Robert F. Dorr.

crwchf16
03-28-2017, 05:13 PM
It was an honor and privilege to have had the chance to speak with Mr. Door. He will be missed

VCO
07-16-2017, 02:31 AM
RIP Robert Dorr

Bos Mutus
10-29-2018, 08:05 PM
I enjoyed having Mr. Dorr here in the forum. I remember his Times articles for many years.

A few months ago, I finally got around to reading his book, "Mission to Berlin", which he sent me for free following some kind of contest here in the forum that I don't recall. I think he was looking for article topics or something.

Anyway, the book was pretty good. It had some good stories on Airmen participating in the mission and was more of a human story than a war story. He'd arranged it topically rather than chronologically, so it was a little repetitive as he covered the same events several times and he gets a little lost going on and on about range, payload, specs of the various aircraft, but I think that sort of thing interests him....nevertheless, you could tell from his tone the love and admiration he had for the Airmen. It was great that he got this story published.