PDA

View Full Version : First Sergeant requests to retire by telling CSM to “die a painful death”

Rusty Jones
06-07-2016, 02:51 PM
http://popularmilitary.com/combat-infantry-1sg-requests-retire-telling-csm-die-painful-death/

First Sergeant Dennis Carter apparently hated his job as the Operations NCO of the Army National Guard’s Regimental Troops Squadron 278th Armored Cavalry Regiment. Last month he submitted a request for retirement to his commander, LTC Hebel, that seemed to be inspired by a pure hatred for his unit and his Command Sergeant Major.

His recently released retirement request has been redacted to cover the name of the Command Sergeant Major, but a publicized change of command ceremony (three days before Carter’s retirement request) lists the outgoing CSM as Command Sergeant Major Vincent Roach and the incoming as CSM Mcdow.

“Here’s a copy of my request for retirement. My dumbass AO was so excited at the prospect of me leaving, he didn’t even read it. He line endorsed it and sent it straight to Regiment,” Carter told U.S Army WTF moments.

The retirement request:

http://popularmilitary.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Retirement-request.jpg

The CSM, who Carter says is a “nutless sack of shit” responded via Facebook:

http://popularmilitary.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/CSM-responds.jpg
-------------------

garhkal
06-07-2016, 06:21 PM
Got to give the guy props for having the gonads to send that letter up. BUT man what a dumb move.. Knowing all who would be seeing it, if they really wanted to dick him over, i am sure they could find something to ding him on so they boot him out, NO retirement...

Rusty Jones
06-07-2016, 06:32 PM
Got to give the guy props for having the gonads to send that letter up. BUT man what a dumb move.. Knowing all who would be seeing it, if they really wanted to dick him over, i am sure they could find something to ding him on so they boot him out, NO retirement...

Yeah, I don't think this is over yet. It probably would've been, had it not gone viral. Now the Army is in a visible position to have to do something about this.

sandsjames
06-07-2016, 07:52 PM
Yeah, I don't think this is over yet. It probably would've been, had it not gone viral. Now the Army is in a visible position to have to do something about this.

I doubt anything will come of it. I've heard far worse at retirement ceremonies when the retiree, for whatever reason, decides to take his 20 years of pent up anger out on the leadership.

I say let the dude retire and be done with it. Hell, if he was an officer and banged a subordinate they'd be okay with letting him just retire, and that's much worse.

Rusty Jones
06-07-2016, 10:02 PM
I doubt anything will come of it. I've heard far worse at retirement ceremonies when the retiree, for whatever reason, decides to take his 20 years of pent up anger out on the leadership.

I say let the dude retire and be done with it. Hell, if he was an officer and banged a subordinate they'd be okay with letting him just retire, and that's much worse.

The big difference is that what you saw probably never left the squadron.

sandsjames
06-07-2016, 10:27 PM
The big difference is that what you saw probably never left the squadron.True...I guess that makes a difference. Plus the CSM is gonna have to save face so he may want to make an example.

Bos Mutus
08-01-2016, 08:43 PM
True...I guess that makes a difference. Plus the CSM is gonna have to save face so he may want to make an example.

Seeing as how the letter is over a year old...sounds like he was free and clear before he posted it online.

A little update here:

http://www.wsmv.com/story/32296052/retired-first-sgt-says-curse-filled-resignation-letters-stems-from-toxic-leadership

The letter was returned to him for a re-write, which he did...with just the basic info, name, position, etc.

I don't know if National Guard retirement is the same as active duty....active duty you are supposed to do it 4 months out, at a minimum (waiverable)...but, this sounds like he basically just said, "I quit" and was eligible for retirement...don't know how the points and all that works on their side.

Rusty Jones
08-01-2016, 08:56 PM
Seeing as how the letter is over a year old...sounds like he was free and clear before he posted it online.

A little update here:

http://www.wsmv.com/story/32296052/retired-first-sgt-says-curse-filled-resignation-letters-stems-from-toxic-leadership

The letter was returned to him for a re-write, which he did...with just the basic info, name, position, etc.

I don't know if National Guard retirement is the same as active duty....active duty you are supposed to do it 4 months out, at a minimum (waiverable)...but, this sounds like he basically just said, "I quit" and was eligible for retirement...don't know how the points and all that works on their side.

For the Army in general, they treat SNCO enlistments like commissions. Instead of having an ETS, they're "indefinite" and have to resign instead of separating at an ETS. I think the Army started doing this back in 2000.

Mjölnir
08-01-2016, 10:58 PM
For the Army in general, they treat SNCO enlistments like commissions. Instead of having an ETS, they're "indefinite" and have to resign instead of separating at an ETS. I think the Army started doing this back in 2000.

I am not positive about that. I reenlisted an Army SFC (E7) last year.

Rusty Jones
08-01-2016, 11:02 PM

I only heard about this, because when I was stationed at PSD New London as a PN3, I had CT ARNG SNCOs try to argue about there being an ETS date on their ID cards whenever they came to get issued a new one.

Bos Mutus
08-01-2016, 11:07 PM

Once I became a SNCO...my favorite way to reenlist was to find the youngest, greenest officer I could find and ask him/her to reenlist me...my desired location was at the squadron or group staff meeting and no note cards could be used for the oath.

They always did great. Think I reenlisted 3 times as a SNCO, maybe?

Bos Mutus
08-01-2016, 11:12 PM

I haven't heard of that, but it would make a lot of sense...I mean by the time a guy is a SNCO, let's just assume they are going the distance...not sure what the point is of reenlisting them every 4-6 years.

Rusty Jones
08-01-2016, 11:33 PM
I haven't heard of that, but it would make a lot of sense...I mean by the time a guy is a SNCO, let's just assume they are going the distance...not sure what the point is of reenlisting them every 4-6 years.

Yeah, I've only seen two instances (and heard of a third) where this didn't happen. The first was a Senior Chief who got out at 19 years and 2 months when he found out that his wife was leaving him. Because he knew that his wife was going after his retirement, he decided to cut off his nose to spite his face. The second was a guy who made Chief in nine years, but was still frocked when he got out (so he was still an E6 at the time). However, he went directly into the Navy Reserve. The third case that I heard of was before I got to the Stout, my LPO (who was a PN1 filling a PNC billet at the time) actually got there about two months before I did. Apparently, the PNC that he replaced was incompetent and getting eaten alive in his position; so he got out and came back in, order to go to another command.

Mjölnir
08-01-2016, 11:48 PM

I did a quick Google and found this:

Staff sergeants and above with 10 or more years of service generally are required to take an indefinite enlistment to remain in service.

However, soldiers should contact their local retention noncommissioned officer or career counselor to determine specific options that are available at the time they want to re-enlist.

The article is from 2014, so maybe it changed which is why I was reenlisting an E7 with about 14 years. Don't really know for sure.

Mjölnir
08-01-2016, 11:48 PM

I did a quick Google and found this:

Staff sergeants and above with 10 or more years of service generally are required to take an indefinite enlistment to remain in service.

However, soldiers should contact their local retention noncommissioned officer or career counselor to determine specific options that are available at the time they want to re-enlist.

The article is from 2014, so maybe it changed which is why I was reenlisting an E7 with about 14 years. Don't really know for sure.

Mjölnir
08-01-2016, 11:49 PM
Once I became a SNCO...my favorite way to reenlist was to find the youngest, greenest officer I could find and ask him/her to reenlist me...my desired location was at the squadron or group staff meeting and no note cards could be used for the oath.

Probably what it was.