PDA

View Full Version : For reals?

sandsjames
06-05-2016, 01:41 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/03/entertainment/x-men-apocalypse-jennifer-lawrence-strangled-fox-apologizes/index.html

I fucking hate people. I mean, really really hate them.

A freakin' superhero movie has a "strong, female" lead getting choked by the main villain and people find the poster offensive?

So annoying for so many different reasons.

garhkal
06-05-2016, 07:28 PM
So a female lead can beat up guys all over the place (in all movies mystique has been in) but heaven forbid a BAD GUY chokes her...

Rusty Jones
06-06-2016, 03:15 AM
So a female lead can beat up guys all over the place (in all movies mystique has been in) but heaven forbid a BAD GUY chokes her...

LOL, you act like this is new.

I never got into Xena back in the 90's, but the only episodes I saw where she ever took any real punishment was when she was fighting female villians. She ate male villians for breakfast. Hell, even her fights against Hercules were stalemates.

I first started noticing this with Saved By the Bell. Whenever Zach and the gang went four-wheeling, surfing, or engaged in any other competitive activity, a girl always won.

Whatever, though. It's only fiction. As a man, take comfort in knowing what would happen in REAL life.

WILDJOKER5
06-06-2016, 06:23 PM
LOL, you act like this is new.

I never got into Xena back in the 90's, but the only episodes I saw where she ever took any real punishment was when she was fighting female villians. She ate male villians for breakfast. Hell, even her fights against Hercules were stalemates.

I first started noticing this with Saved By the Bell. Whenever Zach and the gang went four-wheeling, surfing, or engaged in any other competitive activity, a girl always won.

Whatever, though. It's only fiction. As a man, take comfort in knowing what would happen in REAL life.
That's like any "white" sitcom like full house or Save by the bell or anything always had a token black person that would show up from time to time and would always be well educated and be an upstanding person with high moral fiber. When it was reversed like in black sitcoms like Family Matters, the token white person was an idiot duffus. All the women are great in sitcoms, all minorities are perfect angels, and all white male fathers have been reduced to the imbecilic goof ball that no one should respect.

PC has been around for a long time, mostly started in the 70s. If you have Netflix, they have a great series on there about the changing in TV shows that moved from leave it to beaver esq shows to all in the family. Its about that time when liberals were bashing the conservative family structure and trying to make the male patriarch be feeble of immoral.

Rusty Jones
06-06-2016, 08:32 PM
You know... back in the 70's and 80's, there was a reason for that. Notice how on GI Joe, you had Roadblock and Stalker, but there were no black Cobra characters. When Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles debuted as a cartoon in 1987, Baxter Stockman - who was black in the comments - was white all of a sudden. They didn't make him black again until the 2002 cartoon.

Why weren't there any black bad guys back then? This was the 1980's. They don't want little kids cheering on the good guys, saying shit like "Yeah! Get that n***er!"

Shit, it happened with the first three Rocky movies.

There's a bit more leeway no than there was back then.

Mjölnir
06-06-2016, 08:50 PM
Yeah ... Seems like some folks got their panties in a bunch about nothing.

Ya know who didn't get her panties in a bunch??? Mystique ... She's naked a lot.

sandsjames
06-06-2016, 08:53 PM
Yeah ... Seems like some folks got their panties in a bunch about nothing.

Ya know who didn't get her panties in a bunch??? Mystique ... She's naked a lot.

I think what pisses me off more is that Fox gave in and took the billboards down. I've got no problem with people "protesting". My issue is with those who cave in so easily.

Mjölnir
06-06-2016, 09:02 PM
I think what pisses me off more is that Fox gave in and took the billboards down. I've got no problem with people "protesting". My issue is with those who cave in so easily.

Yeah. But they aren't in the business of dealing with protestors and bad press (warranted or not); they want butts in seats, parents buying kids toys etc. they likely feel the cost of removing the billboards is less than the money they may lose because of small vocal group.

Either way I am going to watch the movie.

sandsjames
06-06-2016, 09:47 PM
Yeah. But they aren't in the business of dealing with protestors and bad press (warranted or not); they want butts in seats, parents buying kids toys etc. they likely feel the cost of removing the billboards is less than the money they may lose because of small vocal group.

Either way I am going to watch the movie.

I don't think the people bitching about the billboard are the ones who watch the movies anyway, so they aren't going to lose money/viewers.

Either way...really good movie, IMO. Critics didn't love it but critics don't love anything that's not the MCU.

garhkal
06-06-2016, 09:58 PM

Same here. Fox should have told those protestors to go take a hike.

WILDJOKER5
06-07-2016, 11:50 AM
Saw a great meme this morning, just cant pull it up on google. Showed Colossus being choked in Deadpool, "No one bats an eye". Then Apocalypse is choking mystique, "Every feminist loses their shit" (They already lost their minds when they became feminists).

Mjölnir
06-07-2016, 01:24 PM
Either way...really good movie, IMO. Critics didn't love it but critics don't love anything that's not the MCU.

Yeah ... I liked Batman v Superman but many critics didn't. I am sure I will like XMen ...

Rusty Jones
06-07-2016, 01:52 PM
Yeah ... I liked Batman v Superman but many critics didn't. I am sure I will like XMen ...

I liked Batman v Superman too, but I hate the fact that they killed Superman at the end. Killing him in the comics is one thing, because you can do a long drawn-out process to bring him back.

Now I feel like there's going to be a Justice League movie with a story line that bears a striking resemblence Star Trek III, where they bring Spock back. While ST3 wasn't THE worst movie in the series (I'd rank it the third worst after ST1, and the worst being ST5); it was still a horrible movie, and we don't need the DC movies going that route.

sparks82
06-07-2016, 05:57 PM
I posted this elsewhere and the majority of comments were the same as on here. "Wtf?" One person dissented and said that the poster glorifies the history of violence against women or some shit. I don't know where she got that from.

First off, it's not real people is what I even told her. Secondly, Mystique is a shape shifter. She can be anyone or anything. So technically you could say she's female and male honestly.

I also pointed out how she kicks the shit out of and kills men and women throughout all the movies. But in this scene she's going up against the most powerful mutant it seems. Of course she gets attacked.

I asked this person did she get upset at the fight scenes in Mr. and Mrs. Smith? Or that spy movie Angelina Jolie replaced Tom Cruise in? Or Tomb Raider? She fights men in all those and they fight her right back.

This is a big difference from a movie where the theme is domestic violence or something. Like just about any Lifetime movie. I think most people and most women have absolutely no issue with that poster. It sounded like it was mostly Rose McGowan or whatever her name is trying to be relevant and making a fuss.

Rusty Jones
06-07-2016, 06:07 PM
I posted this elsewhere and the majority of comments were the same as on here. "Wtf?" One person dissented and said that the poster glorifies the history of violence against women or some shit. I don't know where she got that from.

First off, it's not real people is what I even told her. Secondly, Mystique is a shape shifter. She can be anyone or anything. So technically you could say she's female and male honestly.

I also pointed out how she kicks the shit out of and kills men and women throughout all the movies. But in this scene she's going up against the most powerful mutant it seems. Of course she gets attacked.

I asked this person did she get upset at the fight scenes in Mr. and Mrs. Smith? Or that spy movie Angelina Jolie replaced Tom Cruise in? Or Tomb Raider? She fights men in all those and they fight her right back.

This is a big difference from a movie where the theme is domestic violence or something. Like just about any Lifetime movie. I think most people and most women have absolutely no issue with that poster. It sounded like it was mostly Rose McGowan or whatever her name is trying to be relevant and making a fuss.

This is similar to people responding to Civil War by bitching about Captain America being a rugged alpha male. Yes, it happened. Everybody wants men to be women these days, and nobody wants men to be men.

garhkal
06-07-2016, 06:31 PM
Saw a great meme this morning, just cant pull it up on google. Showed Colossus being choked in Deadpool, "No one bats an eye". Then Apocalypse is choking mystique, "Every feminist loses their shit" (They already lost their minds when they became feminists).

I remember that, the strong blond gal choked Colossus, and no one got their panties in a bunch. BUT an evil baddie does it to Mistique, and people go ape shit crazy.
BUT if you watch the film that happens JUST after she tries cutting his HEAD OFF....

Rusty Jones
06-07-2016, 06:43 PM
I don't remember any outrage when Anakin force-choked Padme in Episode III.

Really, what's acceptable and what's not is one big roller coaster ride. Anyone remember a video game called "Final Fight" from the early 90's? It was a classic side-scrolling beat 'em up (most popular genre of video game at the time), and but there was controversy because all three playable characters were male, and there were female enemies (though Final Fight wasn't the first to have this. The first two installments of Double Dragon had female enemies).

So what did they do in response to the backlash? They said that the "female" enemies on Final Fight were transvestites. Probablem solved. Of course, this was 25 years ago. That explanation wouldn't fly today.

garhkal
06-08-2016, 06:52 AM

Really, what's acceptable and what's not is one big roller coaster ride. Anyone remember a video game called "Final Fight" from the early 90's? It was a classic side-scrolling beat 'em up (most popular genre of video game at the time), and but there was controversy because all three playable characters were male, and there were female enemies (though Final Fight wasn't the first to have this. The first two installments of Double Dragon had female enemies).

So what did they do in response to the backlash? They said that the "female" enemies on Final Fight were transvestites. Probablem solved. Of course, this was 25 years ago. That explanation wouldn't fly today.

I used to love playing Final fight.
And i agree, there was No outrage at Anakin force choking Padme in EP 3. BUT maybe the difference was it was a force choke, not a hand around throat choke..

sparks82
06-08-2016, 04:41 PM

True no outrage publicly like this but I'm sure most people watching were like "Wtf dude?" I would think THAT would be more outrage than Mystique getting choked. I mean that's technically domestic violence if it were in this world- they were married. Some people...that's all that can be said.