PDA

View Full Version : Captain America sexuality

sandsjames
05-25-2016, 11:10 AM
http://abc13.com/entertainment/-givecaptainamericaaboyfriend-twitter-campaign/1354395/

I realize this isn't something Marvel is looking at, but if they were even going to entertain this idea, I'd give up. I don't understand the obsession. Especially since there are already several gay characters in the comic universe.

Marvel has treated the "Iceman" sexuality issue just fine. He came out in one story and, other than that, they haven't dwelled on it.

DC has "Midnighter". I started reading the story and really liked it, except that the entire focus of the book was about him being gay. He wasn't just a character who is gay...every issue had to get the point across.

I think Marvel is smarter than to do this. They've already lost a ton of readers by having Sam Wilson (Falcon) be the new Captain America and have brought back Steve Rogers (after less than a year. You want "diverse" characters? Create them. Don't change current ones.

Rusty Jones
05-25-2016, 12:38 PM
http://abc13.com/entertainment/-givecaptainamericaaboyfriend-twitter-campaign/1354395/

I realize this isn't something Marvel is looking at, but if they were even going to entertain this idea, I'd give up. I don't understand the obsession. Especially since there are already several gay characters in the comic universe.

Marvel has treated the "Iceman" sexuality issue just fine. He came out in one story and, other than that, they haven't dwelled on it.

DC has "Midnighter". I started reading the story and really liked it, except that the entire focus of the book was about him being gay. He wasn't just a character who is gay...every issue had to get the point across.

I think Marvel is smarter than to do this. They've already lost a ton of readers by having Sam Wilson (Falcon) be the new Captain America and have brought back Steve Rogers (after less than a year. You want "diverse" characters? Create them. Don't change current ones.

I never really strayed too far out of Earth-616, but I hear that Ultimate Colossus is gay.

In any case, Steve Rogers has already been shown to be all about the poon in every form of media - comics, cartoons, movies, you name it.

Also, why do they want HIM to be gay? Why not Bruce Banner? Or, fuck, in the next movie... the can bring in Simon Williams and make HIM gay. Not that I WANT that, but we all know fully well that the ONLY reason they want Steve Rogers to be gay is because he's the rugged alpha male of the group, and they want nothing more than to fuck that up.

sandsjames
05-25-2016, 01:32 PM
I never really strayed too far out of Earth-616, but I hear that Ultimate Colossus is gay.

In any case, Steve Rogers has already been shown to be all about the poon in every form of media - comics, cartoons, movies, you name it.

Also, why do they want HIM to be gay? Why not Bruce Banner? Or, fuck, in the next movie... the can bring in Simon Williams and make HIM gay. Not that I WANT that, but we all know fully well that the ONLY reason they want Steve Rogers to be gay is because he's the rugged alpha male of the group, and they want nothing more than to fuck that up.

There's a lot of stuff in the Ultimate Universe that I wasn't aware of until recently. Spider-woman is pretty much a tranny clone of Peter Parker...

DarkHeart
05-25-2016, 02:00 PM
Yeah, Ultimate Colossus is gay. He commented on Angel to Nightcrawler and Kurt had moral hissy fit. It was a pretty well done plot line, for the time.

I agree. I'd like to see a more prominent character, who happens to be gay, but PLEASE don't retcon established characters for the purpose. It's pandering and the LGBT comic geeks don't need it, thank you very much.

sandsjames
05-25-2016, 02:05 PM
Yeah, Ultimate Colossus is gay. He commented on Angel to Nightcrawler and Kurt had moral hissy fit. It was a pretty well done plot line, for the time.

I agree. I'd like to see a more prominent character, who happens to be gay, but PLEASE don't retcon established characters for the purpose. It's pandering and the LGBT comic geeks don't need it, thank you very much.

Have you read "Midnighter"? He's an awesome character with interesting powers. For me, the focus was to much on his sexuality but if there is going to be gay characters, he's the way to do it, with it being his back story from the beginning.

DarkHeart
05-25-2016, 02:14 PM
I'll have to find some TPBs. I really got out of comic books when I enlisted and after the whole new DCU thing I just lost all patients for them. I'll still read some indy stuff from time to time but Midnighter sounds like it might be up my ally. Thanks.

sandsjames
05-25-2016, 02:17 PM
I'll have to find some TPBs. I really got out of comic books when I enlisted and after the whole new DCU thing I just lost all patients for them. I'll still read some indy stuff from time to time but Midnighter sounds like it might be up my ally. Thanks.

It's a DC book...the most recent issues came out last year but he's been a part of the DCU for quite awhile. I think he started in Batman stories.

Oh...and the DCU is starting anew once more...today...going away from the New 52. They are very adamant that it's not another reboot...it's a "continuation with roots to the original".

DarkHeart
05-25-2016, 02:24 PM
Because of course they did.

Rusty Jones
05-25-2016, 02:29 PM
It's a DC book...the most recent issues came out last year but he's been a part of the DCU for quite awhile. I think he started in Batman stories.

Oh...and the DCU is starting anew once more...today...going away from the New 52. They are very adamant that it's not another reboot...it's a "continuation with roots to the original".

I hope Supes gets to keep his current suit.

sandsjames
05-25-2016, 02:33 PM
I hope Supes gets to keep his current suit.

It's going to be the Superman who's married to Lois with Superboy already born. So a continuation from the recent Lois and Clark series.

They're also bring back Nightwing (getting away from the Grayson spy book) which I'm looking forward to.

sandsjames
05-25-2016, 02:35 PM
Because of course they did.

I'm actually looking really forward to it. Great potential for this reboot. I think the best thing is that all of their books are going to be $2.99. The 80 page "Rebirth" comes out today, which I think is kind of a "preview" type thing...next week they start over with #1s again. Very hopeful about this one. I think they are on the right track with it this time.

DarkHeart
05-25-2016, 02:48 PM
I'm actually looking really forward to it. Great potential for this reboot. I think the best thing is that all of their books are going to be $2.99. The 80 page "Rebirth" comes out today, which I think is kind of a "preview" type thing...next week they start over with #1s again. Very hopeful about this one. I think they are on the right track with it this time.

I might give it a look-see then.

Rusty Jones
05-25-2016, 03:04 PM
Oh, and in other news... there's a push for a female James Bond. And I don't mean a separate female character taking up the mantle of 007, either. They actually want to make James Bond a woman.

sandsjames
05-25-2016, 03:09 PM
Oh, and in other news... there's a push for a female James Bond. And I don't mean a separate female character taking up the mantle of 007, either. They actually want to make James Bond a woman.

It's stupid. It seems like it would be patronizing to the people taking the role. "We know you won't be successful, because you're a (insert diversity group here) so we're going to give you an already successful and popular character to play."

Make her the next double-0...that's fine. But don't make her James Bond.

sparks82
05-25-2016, 03:30 PM

I saw some mention of that - that's pretty stupid. Just make a new character that is similar.

sparks82
05-25-2016, 03:32 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/news/marvel-editor-explains-captain-america-120025758.html

Speaking of Captain America - I'm not an avid comic book reader but I saw this article today.

"Sure, he wears red white and blue on the outside, but on the inside? It turns out Steve Rogers, a.k.a. Captain America, supports the evil, former Nazi organization, Hydra."

Mjölnir
05-25-2016, 03:39 PM

I read an interesting proposal that James Bond was a pseudonym passed to the next agent to assume the role/billet within the 00 branch of British Intelligence. Doing so would account for the changes in actors etc. and allow for the series to not be rebooted after 10 or so years when it didn't make sense that it was the same person. If they did that ... having a female would not be too crazy, but a definite break from the pattern.

Mjölnir
05-25-2016, 03:41 PM

Yeah ... my subscription box at Third Eye Comics is getting a big increase for the next two months to see if I like the new continuity.

sandsjames
05-25-2016, 03:42 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/news/marvel-editor-explains-captain-america-120025758.html

Speaking of Captain America - I'm not an avid comic book reader but I saw this article today.

"Sure, he wears red white and blue on the outside, but on the inside? It turns out Steve Rogers, a.k.a. Captain America, supports the evil, former Nazi organization, Hydra."

There's no chance this holds out to be anything meaningful. At first I thought I was reading an "Onion" article...

If Marvel takes this route (which, again, I'm highly doubting it's anything more than a stunt) then they are going to lose readers.

I've never been a Captain America fan, but he is what he is. He's the boy scout who always does the right thing. A change to that is basically wiping 75 years of his character away.

sandsjames
05-25-2016, 03:43 PM
I read an interesting proposal that James Bond was a pseudonym passed to the next agent to assume the role/billet within the 00 branch of British Intelligence. Doing so would account for the changes in actors etc. and allow for the series to not be rebooted after 10 or so years when it didn't make sense that it was the same person. If they did that ... having a female would not be too crazy, but a definite break from the pattern.

I saw that somewhere, too. It was used to explain how there were two Bond movies out in the 80's at the same time with different actors. I guess I'd be ok with that theory if they stuck to it...every different actor actually being different James Bond...but I don't think they'll take an easy cop out like that.

sandsjames
05-25-2016, 03:45 PM
Yeah ... my subscription box at Third Eye Comics is getting a big increase for the next two months to see if I like the new continuity.

I'm looking forward to all of the different Batman stuff...especially "All-Star Batman". Sounds like a cool premise.

I don't think I'll do Green Arrow or either of the Green Lantern books.

sandsjames
05-25-2016, 03:47 PM

I wish I lived in an area with a big comic book store. We have a couple small ones here that serve a purpose, but small town stores don't get the variants as often because they don't have big enough orders. I use Midtown when necessary, but it would be nice to have a big brick and mortar store.

Mjölnir
05-25-2016, 04:17 PM
I'm looking forward to all of the different Batman stuff...especially "All-Star Batman". Sounds like a cool premise.

I don't think I'll do Green Arrow or either of the Green Lantern books.

Did you read Batman Year One?

Mjölnir
05-25-2016, 04:18 PM
I wish I lived in an area with a big comic book store. We have a couple small ones here that serve a purpose, but small town stores don't get the variants as often because they don't have big enough orders. I use Midtown when necessary, but it would be nice to have a big brick and mortar store.

My store supports guys all over (they ship subscriptions etc) ... if you want their info let me know.

sandsjames
05-25-2016, 05:33 PM
Did you read Batman Year One?

Yep...and I know they did the animated movie but I'd love them to do the next Batfleck movie on that storyline.

sandsjames
05-25-2016, 05:34 PM
My store supports guys all over (they ship subscriptions etc) ... if you want their info let me know.Nah...that's alright. I've got sites I order from when necessary. Thanks, though.

Oh...and just picked up Rebirth at lunch...getting ready to read it now.

sandsjames
05-25-2016, 05:40 PM

"Sure, he wears red white and blue on the outside, but on the inside? It turns out Steve Rogers, a.k.a. Captain America, supports the evil, former Nazi organization, Hydra."Well...looks like this is a real thing. I'm honestly shocked...I don't know if I'll take a look at it or not.

Mjölnir
05-25-2016, 05:42 PM
Nah...that's alright. I've got sites I order from when necessary. Thanks, though.

Oh...and just picked up Rebirth at lunch...getting ready to read it now.

I am getting it tomorrow ... no spoilers

sandsjames
05-25-2016, 06:16 PM
I am getting it tomorrow ... no spoilersDon't worry. I won't. I'm really impressed with how DC is finishing off this New 52 series. If they'd taken this much time with it from the beginning it would have been very successful.

garhkal
05-25-2016, 07:31 PM

The obsession is the LGBTQ community wants to force all groups to not just recognize/tolerate, but actually accept and celebrate their lifestyle...
They do this by forcing more and more groups to have an established masculine/feminine character become gay/lesbian/bi.

Not that I WANT that, but we all know fully well that the ONLY reason they want Steve Rogers to be gay is because he's the rugged alpha male of the group, and they want nothing more than to fuck that up.

Exactly Rusty. They would rather irk off established fans by forcing hte Comics/films to retool a main masculine figure into being gay, than come up with a new one.

Actually i would rather NOT do either of those.. It just would seem to me like both options would only be getting done to appease the LGBTQ lobby. Not for any actual practical reason

If Marvel takes this route (which, again, I'm highly doubting it's anything more than a stunt) then they are going to lose readers.

I've never been a Captain America fan, but he is what he is. He's the boy scout who always does the right thing. A change to that is basically wiping 75 years of his character away.

We can hope its only a hoax/stunt, but if they DO decide to cave in i know a heck of a lot of comic fans who will immediately dump marvel..

DarkHeart
05-26-2016, 02:47 PM
Actually i would rather NOT do either of those.. It just would seem to me like both options would only be getting done to appease the LGBTQ lobby. Not for any actual practical reason

Practical reason = LGBT people exist, some even read comics. Shocking, right?

sandsjames
05-26-2016, 03:08 PM

The key is having new characters, though. Don't retcon popular characters. That's the biggest issue I have with the way comics have been handling the "diversity" issue.

It all comes down to supply and demand and the companies know that sales won't be good with anything other than, for the most part, straight white male superheroes so, in a very patronizing way, they throw in things like (with pretty weak backstories) a female Thor, a female Wolverine, a black Captain America, a black Wally West/Flash, a gay Iceman (though that's probably the easiest one to have "come-out" as he never had a love life at all).

The biggest issue is that, whether right or wrong, the majority of people don't think about the race, or sex, of a white male character. However, when you have a gay, a black, a female, a foreign, character a big part of the plot is that they are (insert group here).

Wonder Woman comes from an island of man-hating women. The first issue of "Sam Wilson: Captain America" focuses on him being black. Kamala Khan becoming Ms. Marvel has a focus on her nationality.

Marvel has done the best job with Iceman. He "came-out" to a past/future version of himself (very weird storyline) just to let the reader know, but they haven't focused on it at all (mostly because he's a minor character anyway.

garhkal
05-26-2016, 06:11 PM

Practical reason to ME is something more than just hitting a wicket for a very small segment of readership. A practical reason, might be something like, they were trying to push capt to be LGBTQ, as he finds the whole 'everyones right' angle more of a truism than keeping the status quo. Or he got mind shanked, and is now thinking he's LGBTQ cause of it...

sandsjames
05-26-2016, 07:08 PM
Practical reason to ME is something more than just hitting a wicket for a very small segment of readership. A practical reason, might be something like, they were trying to push capt to be LGBTQ, as he finds the whole 'everyones right' angle more of a truism than keeping the status quo. Or he got mind shanked, and is now thinking he's LGBTQ cause of it...

Believe it or not, people do like to have characters/heroes/superheroes that they can relate to. There is an absolute necessity for people from all walks of life to be a part of this world. It just needs to be done the right way...organically...for any of those characters to be successful.

sandsjames
05-26-2016, 08:03 PM
Wanted to point out that Tessa Thompson is playing Valkyrie in the upcoming Thor movie. If you aren't aware, there has been much stink made about "whitewashing" of superheroes and other characters in film, yet Valkyrie is a very white, very blonde character being played by Thompson...I guess I'll just wait for Hollywood to point out the change.

garhkal
05-26-2016, 10:24 PM
Believe it or not, people do like to have characters/heroes/superheroes that they can relate to. There is an absolute necessity for people from all walks of life to be a part of this world. It just needs to be done the right way...organically...for any of those characters to be successful.

So one of the most prominent characters should be changed to allow a minuscule minority 'relate' better?

sandsjames
05-27-2016, 12:04 PM
So one of the most prominent characters should be changed to allow a minuscule minority 'relate' better?

Did you read anything that's been said? The point that's been made in this thread is that nobody should be changed...new characters should be created if they want "diversity".

garhkal
05-27-2016, 06:01 PM
Did you read anything that's been said? The point that's been made in this thread is that nobody should be changed...new characters should be created if they want "diversity".

Yes i did read it.. However it SEEMED to me your first point, was counter to your 2nd..

sandsjames
05-27-2016, 10:15 PM
Yes i did read it.. However it SEEMED to me your first point, was counter to your 2nd..

Well, if it was then that's my bad. I'm simply saying if you want diverse characters, create diverse characters, don't change already popular character to fit into diversity categories.

garhkal
05-28-2016, 04:42 AM
Well, if it was then that's my bad. I'm simply saying if you want diverse characters, create diverse characters, don't change already popular character to fit into diversity categories.

No prob mate.
And i agree, create new characters if you want diversity. Better yet, get with the writer/creator and make your OWN stories up (with permission of course) where you can put your own characters in that are LGBTQRS (or what ever other diverse group you want).. Don't demand someone change their own work to fit your mold of what things should be..

DarkHeart
05-28-2016, 02:11 PM
No prob mate.
And i agree, create new characters if you want diversity. Better yet, get with the writer/creator and make your OWN stories up (with permission of course) where you can put your own characters in that are LGBTQRS (or what ever other diverse group you want).. Don't demand someone change their own work to fit your mold of what things should be..

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but are you suggesting that LGBT stories should exist outside existing stories, in their "own stories?" For example, X-Men should never have a gay character?

garhkal
05-28-2016, 07:24 PM
If the writers/creators of it don't want one, then they shouldn't be forced/cajoled into making one.