PDA

View Full Version : Batman v Superman **SPOILERS**

Mjölnir
05-04-2016, 01:17 PM
It has probably been long enough that if you haven't seen it, you have had it sufficiently spoiled.

Any thoughts on the movie?

I liked it, thought it could have been better, more character development. Thought the 1 hour long fight scene kicked a lot of ass (note to self, don't live in Metropolis -- ever). Thought they did Wonder Woman well. I was disappointed after all the hype how little the Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg were actually in the movie. Ben Afflek did a good job on a pissed off / jaded Batman (seems like he had some serious PTSD).

https://67.media.tumblr.com/e06ea5cbf9f26d9f6886c0656aa33b64/tumblr_nysf2byKY71qb6v6ro4_500.gif

Max Power
05-04-2016, 01:34 PM
It sucked. Captain America Civil War is a much better movie all around. They really wasted the Doomsday character.

Mjölnir
05-04-2016, 01:42 PM
It sucked. Captain America Civil War is a much better movie all around. They really wasted the Doomsday character.

Did you already see Civil War?

I thought how they incorporated Doomsday was interesting ... that way they didn't have to spend too much time on what Doomsday is/where he came from (in the comics it was really drug out -- for a couple of years to answer that stuff).

sandsjames
05-04-2016, 01:45 PM
Batman v Superman was awesome. Haters gonna hate. People want to expect the same format for DC as they do for Marvel. They just aren't the same.

Batfleck is the best so far and portrayed the "Dark Knight Returns" Batman perfectly.

My only problem, and DC always has this, is they haven't given me a reason to care about, or root for, Superman. It's difficult because people get bored with an overpowered superhero who is always "good", then they get pissed off when he gets violent. Can't have it both ways.

Civil War will be better than BvS but I'm not a "one or the other type". To me it's like comparing Lethal Weapon to Se7en. They aren't meant to be the same.

Mjölnir
05-04-2016, 01:48 PM
Batman v Superman was awesome. Haters gonna hate. People want to expect the same format for DC as they do for Marvel. They just aren't the same.

Batfleck is the best so far and portrayed the "Dark Knight Returns" Batman perfectly.

My only problem, and DC always has this, is they haven't given me a reason to care about, or root for, Superman. It's difficult because people get bored with an overpowered superhero who is always "good", then they get pissed off when he gets violent. Can't have it both ways.

Civil War will be better than BvS but I'm not a "one or the other type". To me it's like comparing Lethal Weapon to Se7en. They aren't meant to be the same.

Based on the future Flash scene ... I expect to see an Injustice storyline for the JLA coming our way.

sandsjames
05-04-2016, 01:52 PM
Based on the future Flash scene ... I expect to see an Injustice Storyline for the JLA coming our way.I'm with you on this. I'm also expecting The Flash to be the best of all of these movies, besides maybe Suicide Squad, which has a ton of potential. Injustice is awesome all the way through.

I just hope to see Zack Snyder put his ego away for a little while with a lot of this stuff. He has the potential. He made one of the top 2 superhero films of all time with "Watchmen" so he's very capable.

I hate to say this, because it's such a bandwagon thing and he already has Star Trek and Star Wars, but I'd love to see JJ Abrams get involved with DC.

sandsjames
05-04-2016, 01:53 PM
Can I just say thank you for starting this thread. It's the first thread in a long time I've actually been really interested in.

sandsjames
05-04-2016, 01:59 PM
This isn't related to Batman v Superman but what needs to happen next is they need to make Captain Britain. I think it would be easy to tie it in now that they have Psylocke (Brian Braddock's sister) in X-Men. For those who don't know, Captain Britain is the only character who exists in every single universe within the Marvel Multiverse and in a heads up battle with a version of Thor (in the latest Secret Wars series) a version of Captain Britain cut Mjolnir in half using Excalibur.

sandsjames
05-04-2016, 02:01 PM

It opened overseas last week.

Rusty Jones

To be honest, I hate Batman for the exact opposite reason: he can beat ANYBODY, and he has no powers. Honestly, I believe that if DC wasn't worried about losing readers, we'd see issue where Batman single-handedly kicks God's ass in order to prevent Jesus's Second Coming.

Mjölnir
I'm with you on this. I'm also expecting The Flash to be the best of all of these movies, besides maybe Suicide Squad, which has a ton of potential. Injustice is awesome all the way through.

I just hope to see Zack Snyder put his ego away for a little while with a lot of this stuff. He has the potential. He made one of the top 2 superhero films of all time with "Watchmen" so he's very capable.

I hate to say this, because it's such a bandwagon thing and he already has Star Trek and Star Wars, but I'd love to see JJ Abrams get involved with DC.

I have never been a huge fan of Flash, but the costume looked cool.

I really liked how 21st century both Man of Steel and BvS made the situation, the world is very uncertain about Superman & what he can do ... seems like a good plot device.

I like Snyder, good at bringing a comic to life. Did well with 300 & Watchmen. I really liked the queues to Miller's The Dark Knight Returns ... I was hoping to hear Batman say the line about him beig the one man to beat Superman (yeah ... he beat that ass).

Mjölnir
05-04-2016, 02:06 PM
... in a heads up battle with a version of Thor (in the latest Secret Wars series) a version of Captain Britain cut Mjolnir in half using Excalibur.

Don't like him already.

sandsjames
05-04-2016, 02:11 PM
To be honest, I hate Batman for the exact opposite reason: he can beat ANYBODY, and he has no powers. Honestly, I believe that if DC wasn't worried about losing readers, we'd see issue where Batman single-handedly kicks God's ass in order to prevent Jesus's Second Coming.

I can see that. I wish they would do a movie that focuses on him as a detective, since he's the "worlds greatest..."

sandsjames
05-04-2016, 02:13 PM
Don't like him already.Yeah, Excalibur is badass.

Rusty Jones
05-04-2016, 02:20 PM
I think that they still do a good job of that in the comics (though, the last time I picked one up was back in 2011). I think that Penguin, Riddle, and the Tweeds bring the "detective" out of him the best; so we'd need a new Batman with them in it.

sandsjames
05-04-2016, 02:52 PM
I think that they still do a good job of that in the comics (though, the last time I picked one up was back in 2011). I think that Penguin, Riddle, and the Tweeds bring the "detective" out of him the best; so we'd need a new Batman with them in it.

Agree...DC is doing another "reboot" (though they aren't calling it that) this month. They aren't getting rid of the New 52 stuff, they're just moving past it. Batman Year One was an awesome story, one of the best IMO. Hopefully that's what it's going to return to.

Mjölnir
05-04-2016, 06:09 PM
Agree...DC is doing another "reboot" (though they aren't calling it that) this month. They aren't getting rid of the New 52 stuff, they're just moving past it. Batman Year One was an awesome story, one of the best IMO. Hopefully that's what it's going to return to.

Batman: Year One was outstanding. Did you read the Superman: Year One (2 separate books)? It is really good too.

I have a whole long box filled with DC Elseworlds titles:

-What if Kal El landed in Gotham and was adopted by the Waynes?
-What if Kal El landed in Medieval England
-Red Son: What if Kal El landed in Soviet Russia instead of the USA?
-What if Superman landed on Apokolips
-What if Superman landed in the USA in the 1800's, fights as a Union soldier in the Civil War.

Those are some really good books in the 'what if' category.

garhkal
05-04-2016, 06:22 PM
It has probably been long enough that if you haven't seen it, you have had it sufficiently spoiled.

Any thoughts on the movie?

I liked it, thought it could have been better, more character development. Thought the 1 hour long fight scene kicked a lot of ass (note to self, don't live in Metropolis -- ever). Thought they did Wonder Woman well. I was disappointed after all the hype how little the Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg were actually in the movie. Ben Afflek did a good job on a pissed off / jaded Batman (seems like he had some serious PTSD).

I liked Afleck as Bats.. But i agree, it could have done with a little more character development, and appearances by the others..

Mjölnir
05-04-2016, 06:25 PM
Can I just say thank you for starting this thread. It's the first thread in a long time I've actually been really interested in.

Tks. I needed a bit of distraction from the normal gibber jabber.

sandsjames
05-04-2016, 06:32 PM
I liked Afleck as Bats.. But i agree, it could have done with a little more character development, and appearances by the others..Character development for who? We're going to get the character development for Wonder Woman in her solo movie. We have all sorts of development for Superman in "Man of Steel" and they did a great job of explaining why Batman and Superman didn't like each other.

sandsjames
05-04-2016, 06:37 PM
Batman: Year One was outstanding. Did you read the Superman: Year One (2 separate books)? It is really good too.

I have a whole long box filled with DC Elseworlds titles:

-What if Kal El landed in Gotham and was adopted by the Waynes?
-What if Kal El landed in Medieval England
-Red Son: What if Kal El landed in Soviet Russia instead of the USA?
-What if Superman landed on Apokolips
-What if Superman landed in the USA in the 1800's, fights as a Union soldier in the Civil War.

Those are some really good books in the 'what if' category.

I don't do much with the "What If's" but I did really like the Soviet Union one.

I do enjoy a lot of the Earth 2 stuff, though. I like the different backgrounds/origins of known characters, as well as different personalities.

My collection is up to about 2000 books now, and I do a lot of action figures, too. I've only been collecting for a couple years and love it. It does get expensive pretty quick but it's fairly safe investment (especially since I'm no good at saving actual money).

sandsjames
05-04-2016, 07:00 PM
One of my favorite stories is one I just read. Original Sin. If you haven't read it, it's an awesome Nick Fury storyline that covers about 8 books.

retiredAFcivvy
05-04-2016, 07:08 PM
I don't do much with the "What If's" but I did really like the Soviet Union one.

I do enjoy a lot of the Earth 2 stuff, though. I like the different backgrounds/origins of known characters, as well as different personalities.

My collection is up to about 2000 books now, and I do a lot of action figures, too. I've only been collecting for a couple years and love it. It does get expensive pretty quick but it's fairly safe investment (especially since I'm no good at saving actual money).
I don't know anything about these newer books but sure wish I still had some of those comic books I had as a kid.

sandsjames
05-04-2016, 07:15 PM
I don't know anything about these newer books but sure wish I still had some of those comic books I had as a kid.Yeah, we've all got some stories like that. However, if everyone had kept everything they had as a kid then nothing would be worth money.

It's amazing how many newer comics you can get that end up being worth quite a bit. For instance, Batgirl #12, from about 13 years ago, goes for several hundred dollars right now. That's about 100 times the value. That was the first appearance of Harley Quinn. That's what make collecting so fun. You just never know.

Mjölnir
05-04-2016, 07:53 PM
I don't know anything about these newer books but sure wish I still had some of those comic books I had as a kid.

I have every issue of Spawn that has been printed (1-261 or 262). Not all of them are worth money ... but when I told the guy at my comic shop he offered me $1,800 on the spot. They still sit in my basement collecting dust.

sandsjames
05-04-2016, 08:40 PM
I have every issue of Spawn that has been printed (1-261 or 262). Not all of them are worth money ... but when I told the guy at my comic shop he offered me $1,800 on the spot. They still sit in my basement collecting dust.

Great series...do you have the variant covers as well, cuz those are what's worth money in that set. #216 regular cover is worth about $30, $150 is worth about $20...other than that they're worth $2 to $3 each. $1800 right now is an excellent deal for you...though depending on what they do with movies in the future they could jump in price. Do you have them in bags and boarded, standing up in a box?

Mjölnir
05-04-2016, 09:29 PM
Great series...do you have the variant covers as well, cuz those are what's worth money in that set. #216 regular cover is worth about $30, $150 is worth about $20...other than that they're worth $2 to $3 each. $1800 right now is an excellent deal for you...though depending on what they do with movies in the future they could jump in price. Do you have them in bags and boarded, standing up in a box?

Most of the ones that had a variant I have the variant. All are bagged, boarded and boxed. I also have most of the offshoots (Both DC & Image versions of Batman vs Spawn, Angela series, Sam & Twitch). My favorite was Medieval Spawn. Badass outfit

Mjölnir
05-04-2016, 09:45 PM
Another good book that seems to have been canx'd (production problems) was the Dying and the Dead (Image) ... first three were really interesting but #3 came out 3 months behind schedule, the author has had issues with deadlines in the past and it looks like it may die on the vine.

sandsjames
05-04-2016, 10:09 PM
Another good book that seems to have been canx'd (production problems) was the Dying and the Dead (Image) ... first three were really interesting but #3 came out 3 months behind schedule, the author has had issues with deadlines in the past and it looks like it may die on the vine.

Have those. Very good.

Also have Pisces from Image. They seem to be consistent with their problems. First 3 Pisces came out last summer. Number 4 won't release until next month some time. It's about an Air Force pilot who ends up in outer space with aliens, etc. Great story, really good art...just the usual Image delays. When your focus is all on The Walking Dead I suppose it's easy to let everything else get behind.

garhkal
05-04-2016, 10:28 PM

You sound like one of my gaming buds still living in the UK.. He has around 4k or so comics all sitting in boxes. Doesn't even break them out periodically to read one or two now and then>>

Max Power
05-05-2016, 12:44 AM

Yup, they had a free showing on base last weekend. There were things I did like about Batman vs Superman but the movie didn't seem to have a good flow to it. I liked Batman, Wonder Woman, Alfred and Lex Luthor. I didn't like Superman (in this movie or the last one), Lois Lane and Doomsday. I didn't expect it to be a Marvel movie and I'm definitely not a fan boy of either one. I'm really hoping that Suicide Squad and Jared Leto's Joker is as good as it looks in the previews.

garhkal
05-05-2016, 03:26 AM
Yup, they had a free showing on base last weekend. .

Which base?

WILDJOKER5
05-05-2016, 12:27 PM
https://youtu.be/pTuyfQ5CR4QAll I have to say is DC comics aren't that great.

sandsjames
05-05-2016, 01:27 PM
https://youtu.be/pTuyfQ5CR4QAll I have to say is DC comics aren't that great.

DC comics are awesome. Far better than Marvel. The movies just haven't caught up yet and since most movie goers think they are experts on the comics people like to jump on the bandwagon. Let us not forget Iron Man 3 and Thor 2...

As far as all the hate for the "mother's name" stuff, the entire point of that is it's a moment where they both realize that they have backgrounds and families and lives away from the superhero stuff.

The Flash cameo made perfect sense to the storyline.

Personally, I rate BvS just below "Winter Soldier"...so it goes Iron Man 2, Capt America: Winter Soldier, then BvS.

The rest of the movies are great...and I enjoy watching them, but they are really just cookie cutter plotlines.

That being said, just purchased my tickets for 7PM tonight for Civil War...very optimistic.

I do love all the HISHE stuff...

WILDJOKER5
05-05-2016, 01:45 PM
DC comics are awesome. Far better than Marvel. The movies just haven't caught up yet and since most movie goers think they are experts on the comics people like to jump on the bandwagon. Let us not forget Iron Man 3 and Thor 2...

As far as all the hate for the "mother's name" stuff, the entire point of that is it's a moment where they both realize that they have backgrounds and families and lives away from the superhero stuff.

The Flash cameo made perfect sense to the storyline.

Personally, I rate BvS just below "Winter Soldier"...so it goes Iron Man 2, Capt America: Winter Soldier, then BvS.

The rest of the movies are great...and I enjoy watching them, but they are really just cookie cutter plotlines.

That being said, just purchased my tickets for 7PM tonight for Civil War...very optimistic.

I do love all the HISHE stuff...
Well, I don't think the suck, I am just not a fan. They just haven't grasped my interest.

sandsjames
05-05-2016, 01:48 PM

Something else, if you haven't already checked it out, that you need to read is Huck (another Image comic book). One of the best superhero stories in a long time, IMO.

sandsjames
05-05-2016, 01:50 PM
Well, I don't think the suck, I am just not a fan. They just haven't grasped my interest.

Are you talking about reading or watching? Curious as to which ones you've read? I think the recent Superman storyline has been by far DCs best in a long time. They found a way to make him an underdog. I was actually able to root for him. That's what they need to find for the movies.

WILDJOKER5
05-05-2016, 02:18 PM
Are you talking about reading or watching? Curious as to which ones you've read? I think the recent Superman storyline has been by far DCs best in a long time. They found a way to make him an underdog. I was actually able to root for him. That's what they need to find for the movies.

Just watching. So I am one of those true viewers who don't know the whole back stories to the movies. Like people who watch the walking dead or game of thrones without reading the books and comparing them to the visuals.

sandsjames
05-05-2016, 02:59 PM
Just watching. So I am one of those true viewers who don't know the whole back stories to the movies. Like people who watch the walking dead or game of thrones without reading the books and comparing them to the visuals.

I try not to do that too much. I actually enjoy the movies being different from the comics. My only problem are the people who bitch about the movies because "Superman/Batman killed someone and he wouldn't do that" which just isn't true. They have and do kill, several times throughout their history.

As far as characters being different, I'm fine with that.

As far as Game of Thrones, I'm so glad that the show has caught up with the books because I agree...the smugness of the book fans was ridiculous.

DC kills Marvel with the animated stuff by a long shot.

I really think that Suicide Squad is going to kick off a very popular run for DC movies because that's what people want. They want the quippy interaction between smartass characters. I don't necessarily like the fact that DC is caving to that because I like them being different than Marvel, but I can definitely see why they are doing it.

WILDJOKER5
05-05-2016, 03:25 PM
I try not to do that too much. I actually enjoy the movies being different from the comics. My only problem are the people who bitch about the movies because "Superman/Batman killed someone and he wouldn't do that" which just isn't true. They have and do kill, several times throughout their history.Michael Keaton killed a ton of people.

As far as Game of Thrones, I'm so glad that the show has caught up with the books because I agree...the smugness of the book fans was ridiculous.Some parts they have, other parts they haven't. And they have gone way off topic on some story lines. Plus, for the books, I think it was 4 and 5 ran the same time line, just from different points of views, so that helped the show catch up.

DC kills Marvel with the animated stuff by a long shot. I am sure DC is more "dark" than Marvel. I don't know what it is about DC though, their shows/movies are just not capturing my attention. But its the same with Dare Devil on Netflix, I don't care for him either.

I really think that Suicide Squad is going to kick off a very popular run for DC movies because that's what people want. They want the quippy interaction between smartass characters. I don't necessarily like the fact that DC is caving to that because I like them being different than Marvel, but I can definitely see why they are doing it.
But they can still be dark AND quippy.

sandsjames
05-05-2016, 04:11 PM
I am sure DC is more "dark" than Marvel. I don't know what it is about DC though, their shows/movies are just not capturing my attention. But its the same with Dare Devil on Netflix, I don't care for him either. I hate the word "dark". I just think that DC is more "dramatic". Again, I compare it to buddy cop movies...Lethal Weapon vs Se7en. Both awesome movies and shouldn't really be compared to each other. Lethal Weapon is Marvel and DC is Se7en.

But they can still be dark AND quippy.Sure, but a serious movie is good once in awhile. I like them both immensely, for different reasons.

Here's the things that bugged me most about Marvel fanboys ragging on DC. A huge complaint was that Superman pretty much destroyed Metropolis...such a big deal was made of it. However, in Avengers, they never once tried to get the aliens out of the city...New York was totaled...fans didn't even mention it. As I said before...haters gonna hate.

sandsjames
05-06-2016, 12:31 PM
Saw Civil Was night. Best Marvel movie yet. So much good about the way it was made.

On a side note, just saw an article that back in the early 2000s Thor and Captain America almost had their rights sold to Warner Brothers and Sony...which would have changed the current pop culture landscape a great deal. Glad that didn't happen.

Mjölnir
05-08-2016, 04:34 PM
Saw Captain America: Civil War

Wow. Best comic book movie I have seen.

sandsjames
05-08-2016, 05:44 PM
Saw Captain America: Civil War

Wow. Best comic book movie I have seen.

Yep...We went Thursday night, then again Saturday morning. Loved it, though I did find the first part a bit draggy the 2nd go around.

Mjölnir
10-07-2016, 03:26 PM
Late to the show, just got done with the extended cut ... it did flesh out a lot of the plot ...

"You're letting them kill Martha" still seems odd ... I never call my mom "Thelma".

Edit: When Batman pins the bad guy to the wall with the knife, takes care of someone else and then comes back to the pincushion ... does he punch him in the junk?

And most of Smallville has to know Clark is Superman ... just sayin' ... how the government never figured that Superman and Zod, Faora and the big ass Kryptonian fighting in Smallville may point to his identity ... C'MON!

Do you think that Lex is a clone of the original Lex?