PDA

View Full Version : Wow

Shrike
04-28-2016, 04:21 PM
A few years ago this used to be the busiest section of what was a thriving, diverse internet community. Sometimes dozens of threads would be active each day in the Air Force section with hundreds and hundreds of comments from numerous members. Now, it's been two months since the last post. What the heck happened to this place?

Seriously, what happened that killed this forum?

Rusty Jones
04-28-2016, 04:27 PM
A few years ago this used to be the busiest section of what was a thriving, diverse internet community. Sometimes dozens of threads would be active each day in the Air Force section with hundreds and hundreds of comments from numerous members. Now, it's been two months since the last post. What the heck happened to this place?

Heavy moderation. That's what drove you and everyone else away.

Mjölnir
04-28-2016, 04:50 PM

Most of the threads in the Air Force section, were not related to the Air Force, most were social commentary, general news etc. There was an effort to organize the forum as a whole better & keep threads in their appropriate areas. This was a bit hard for some to do.

Also, in banning Pickyourbattles, Tak & JoeBonham that killed off some of the more prolific posters. Also, don't know if you know but RobotChicken died about 2 years ago.

Tak has a group he created on Facebook, he posts a lot of content there.

And moderation, the mods suck.

WILDJOKER5
04-28-2016, 04:59 PM
Most of the threads in the Air Force section, were not related to the Air Force, most were social commentary, general news etc. There was an effort to organize the forum as a whole better & keep threads in their appropriate areas. This was a bit hard for some to do. Wasn't "she who shall not be named" thread in the AF section while it had to do with Navy? Oh, good times when I started.

Also, in banning Pickyourbattles, Tak & JoeBonham that killed off some of the more prolific posters. Also, don't know if you know but RobotChicken died about 2 years ago.Sad to hear about Robot, I don't remember many of his posts, but I do remember him.

The other 3 though, lol, I thought Rusty was JB alter ego?

Mjölnir
04-28-2016, 05:02 PM
Wasn't "she who shall not be named" thread in the AF section while it had to do with Navy? Oh, good times when I started.

I have heard many reference to "she" ... don't really know who she is though or what that was all about. It was just before my time here.

Sad to hear about Robot, I don't remember many of his posts, but I do remember him.

Indeed.

Nope, JB & Rusty are two distinct people ... or the best at hiding/masking IPs I have seen that weren't cyber warfare people.

Rusty Jones
04-28-2016, 05:03 PM
Wasn't "she who shall not be named" thread in the AF section while it had to do with Navy? Oh, good times when I started.

Sad to hear about Robot, I don't remember many of his posts, but I do remember him.

No, Yddrasil, Punisher, YankYankSplat, and Wereldboom were. JB was another person. Though I believe he tried to come back under a different account that got permabanned when the mods found out it was him.

WILDJOKER5
04-28-2016, 05:04 PM
I have heard many reference to "she" ... don't really know who she is though or what that was all about. It was just before my time here.Yeah, the craziest poster I'd ever seen and I joined in the middle of it. That thread went for like a year.

WILDJOKER5
04-28-2016, 05:05 PM
No, Yddrasil, Punisher, YankYankSplat, and Wereldboom were. JB was another person. Though I believe he tried to come back under a different account that got permabanned when the mods found out it was him.
Im just messing. Trying that "lighter side" you were referring me to earlier this week.

Mjölnir
04-28-2016, 05:09 PM
Though I believe he tried to come back under a different account that got permabanned when the mods found out it was him.

He came back as GeoDude and a name that was after one of the Watership Down characters and I figured out it was him after about a week. I let him know I knew it was him and that being all for second, third and forth chances I wouldn't ban him if he followed the rules. He didn't then he was banned again.

sandsjames
04-28-2016, 05:40 PM

Pretty much is the fact that new people don't stick around because they get bombarded with BS when they try to get involved, old people left because they got permanent bans, and the mods have a conflict of interests by either banning, or threatening to ban, individuals that they have a personal conflict with. Very unprofessional, if you ask me, but that's the price you pay.

Also, there hasn't been much exciting stuff happening in the AF. The last couple years have been pretty steady. New EPR system but most people seem ok with it.

I do what I can to keep this place running as I'm the only one (other than Rusty) who says anything even remotely accurate and not wholly based on conspiracy theory.

WILDJOKER5
04-28-2016, 06:08 PM
Also, there hasn't been much exciting stuff happening in the AF. The last couple years have been pretty steady. New EPR system but most people seem ok with it.

I do what I can to keep this place running as I'm the only one (other than Rusty) who says anything even remotely accurate and not wholly based on conspiracy theory.

Hey now, I take exception to the last part. My stuff is accurate and loosely based on conspiracy theory, like debunking them. :P

Mjölnir
04-28-2016, 06:17 PM
If telling a user who brings a mod's family into a sensitive discussion after being told not to do it or they will be banned is unprofessional ... color me guilty. If you don't like it, you are welcome to take your mentality to another forum.

Mjölnir
04-28-2016, 06:28 PM

I think that is a secondary effect of most of the users here being retired (not a ding on the blue cards mafia ... just an observation). Less concern about issues with the AF (or Army, Navy or USMC) and more concern, interest in discussing social topics, politics or the news.

sandsjames
04-28-2016, 06:31 PM
If telling a user who brings a mod's family into a sensitive discussion after being told not to do it or they will be banned is unprofessional ... color me guilty. If you don't like it, you are welcome to take your mentality to another forum.

I was talking about Unca Rastus...why such a guilty conscience? He banned me because I made the point that his elderly female neighbor was still probably able to get sexually aroused during a discussion about asexuals. He said that elderly could be considered asexual, I said that they still get moist, and he banned me.

Mjölnir
04-28-2016, 06:36 PM
I was talking about Unca Rastus...why such a guilty conscience?

None, it sounded like you were belly aching.

SomeRandomGuy
04-28-2016, 08:00 PM
Honestly, I think the issue with the Air Force Forum is that what people used to post on here is being posted on social media instead.

There was a time when the things that John Q. Public blogs about would have been really popular threads here. Instead he's posting them on his blog, people are sharing on Facebook, and the discussion is happening there without moderation.

sandsjames
04-28-2016, 08:25 PM
Honestly, I think the issue with the Air Force Forum is that what people used to post on here is being posted on social media instead.

There was a time when the things that John Q. Public blogs about would have been really popular threads here. Instead he's posting them on his blog, people are sharing on Facebook, and the discussion is happening there without moderation.

Very true. Those of us who still come here, I think, come here because we know what to expect from the conversations. We know what we're going to get from pretty much every poster and we play to that. It's fun, and it's really not about the topic itself as we all now each other's stance on almost everything.

Those who are looking for more interesting and free conversations are hitting social media because they don't need to worry about being banned...people can speak their minds. On social media, I get to choose who I block...and they can block me...but some random person can't decide whether I'm allowed to keep posting or not depending on their mood that day.

Mjölnir
04-28-2016, 08:27 PM

JQP is a blog, this is a forum. They are different.

For a blog, the blog owner posts a topic, comments discuss the topic.

For a forum, the users start their own topics, comment & discuss on those topics.

I concur that the discussion topics on JQP are more professionally oriented than those here, he chooses what to discuss, he discusses active USAF topics.

MTF has turned into a spot for mostly retired military folks to discuss politics, racism, news etc.

Rainmaker
04-28-2016, 08:29 PM

If a picture's worth a 1000 words, then your avatar says it all. Just read the headlines of this very site for only a couple of days and you'll quickly come to the conclusion that things which even just a few years ago would've been thought to have been a sick joke or absurd (tranny restrooms, Queer pride events in the Pentagon, Male ROTC troops being encouraged to march around campus in women's heels, Remaking The draft for being 'too sexist', chicks posing for media pictures while breastfeeding in uniform, Moslems wearing Hijabs in uniform, Indians wearing Turbans, Gangbangers with Tattoos on necks and I could go on for days) are all ops normal nowadays and no one even much bats an eye about it.

Because, With 250K members leaving the Military every year (and no actual opposition party), It didn't take long for the ACORN Community Organizer posing as a Commander in Chief to tear down 230 + years of Proud American Military Tradition, Standards and Core values.

So, The Military today is mostly led and made up of SJW's who are unable to consider the opinion of others without constantly crying it's racism or demanding that the entire fucking world be turned into a "safe space". Basically EVERYTHING they've done for the last 8 years has been a Big Fuck You to Normal Straight Males.

Of course there is the inevitable and necessary right wing back lash, by those of us who come from the long tradition and refused to cave in to the insanity & most people got tired of debating issues & with everything polarized to the extremes they've simply tuned out. However, This too will pass.

Mjölnir
04-28-2016, 08:34 PM
Those who are looking for more interesting and free conversations are hitting social media because they don't need to worry about being banned...people can speak their minds. On social media, I get to choose who I block...and they can block me...but some random person can't decide whether I'm allowed to keep posting or not depending on their mood that day.

True, the conversations here usually are people talking past each other with no real 'dialouge' anywhere.

Sorry you feel that you feel you were recently banned unfairly.

This isn't directed at sandsjames, but my biggest disappointment in being a mod here has been how truly immature some folks with the experience and time under their belts have been. I mod for tow other sites as well, one that is a military site and for it being one that is more ground (infantry) and specops related the conversation there is generally much more intelligent that the usual screaming matches that go on here. I have been really surprised by that.

sandsjames
04-28-2016, 08:45 PM
True, the conversations here usually are people talking past each other with no real 'dialouge' anywhere.

Sorry you feel that you feel you were recently banned unfairly.

This isn't directed at sandsjames, but my biggest disappointment in being a mod here has been how truly immature some folks with the experience and time under their belts have been. I mod for tow other sites as well, one that is a military site and for it being one that is more ground (infantry) and specops related the conversation there is generally much more intelligent that the usual screaming matches that go on here. I have been really surprised by that.

Conversations usually start out with good intent and good dialogue, then get derailed because someone gets offended over something stupid. You see it quite often between Rusty and RM. Whether either of them are truly pissed off is hard to tell at this point. They take comments to be personal when they are only meant to make a point. Once someone gets pissed of, then there's no talking them down and they'll continue to overreact for quite some time.

The hard part, as a poster, is the fact that putting something in text makes it very difficult to establish context and emotion. So one person may make an innocent comment and another takes it as an insult, then things snowball. Emoticons only go so far and putting LOL after everything is gay...so a lot is lost in translation.

I truly believe that if the majority of us were to sit down in a bar, or whatever social setting, that we'd get along pretty well. I think we all have much more in common then we think. But having things in common doesn't make things interesting on a forum. That's why it's so boring to listen to WJ5 and Garhkal have a conversation...they agree on everything. If someone who dissents doesn't get involved, we'll all just start dozing off and drooling all over ourselves.

Rainmaker
04-28-2016, 08:58 PM
I truly believe that if the majority of us were to sit down in a bar, or whatever social setting, that we'd get along pretty well. I think we all have much more in common then we think.

Stop it. I'm getting all misty.

Mjölnir
04-28-2016, 11:26 PM
Stop it. I'm getting all misty.

Just don't start sitting to tinkle.

WILDJOKER5
04-29-2016, 01:11 PM
Very true. Those of us who still come here, I think, come here because we know what to expect from the conversations. We know what we're going to get from pretty much every poster and we play to that. It's fun, and it's really not about the topic itself as we all now each other's stance on almost everything.

Those who are looking for more interesting and free conversations are hitting social media because they don't need to worry about being banned...people can speak their minds. On social media, I get to choose who I block...and they can block me...but some random person can't decide whether I'm allowed to keep posting or not depending on their mood that day.For me, its easier to type on a keyboard for discussions than my phone. I don't have FB at work, so I just post memes on FB and let the fun begin between others.

Z1911
05-02-2016, 05:37 PM
Ahh, yes. I, too miss those heady, epic days when this forum was fun to read. Like the CMSgt Blutarski saga...

Whatever happened to him, anyway?

Rusty Jones
05-02-2016, 07:13 PM
I remember when Bruwin stopped by once, and said something to the effect of being disgusted at the large influx of Navy members after being used to only dealing with Air Force members (dude seemed to have a strong hate for Sailors that goes beyond mere "service rivalry.")

SailorDave, Greg, and most of the others are gone and I'm Air Force now - not that I have an affinity for insularity or anything - but it's back to being mostly Air Force again.

WILDJOKER5
05-02-2016, 07:18 PM
I remember when Bruwin stopped by once, and said something to the effect of being disgusted at the large influx of Navy members after being used to only dealing with Air Force members (dude seemed to have a strong hate for Sailors that goes beyond mere "service rivalry.")

SailorDave, Greg, and most of the others are gone and I'm Air Force now - not that I have an affinity for insularity or anything - but it's back to being mostly Air Force again.

I am civilian now and couldn't be happier. :D

Rainmaker
05-02-2016, 07:33 PM

Actually Bruwin is responsible for Rainmaker initially creating his Forum Account. Now, At the time , He was an SEL on the I Saw Americans Fight (ISAF) staff in Kabul, HQ Asscrackistan, we shared an office and he was always reading it and chuckling. I'd never heard of it & he suggested reading it as good way to keep up with the pulse of current events and to have a couple of cheap laughs on a Saturday night.

We had plenty of Navy guys working for him there and I don't recall him having a particular dislike for them. See, Bruwin was one of them Chief Master Sergeants and not just a political hack E9. For my money, He & 'Smarge' were 2 of the all-time greats at shit stirring.

sandsjames
05-02-2016, 08:15 PM
Actually Bruwin is responsible for Rainmaker initially creating his Forum Account. Now, At the time , He was an SEL on the I Saw Americans Fight (ISAF) staff in Kabul, HQ Asscrackistan, we shared an office and he was always reading it and chuckling. I'd never heard of it & he suggested reading it as good way to keep up with the pulse of current events and to have a couple of cheap laughs on a Saturday night.

We had plenty of Navy guys working for him there and I don't recall him having a particular dislike for them. See, Bruwin was one of them Chief Master Sergeants and not just a political hack E9. For my money, He & 'Smarge' were 2 of the all-time greats at shit stirring.

Absolutely...all of his cracks about Navy were purely tongue in cheek.

ConfusedAirman
05-18-2016, 05:33 PM
Sorry to see that things have changed so much but I guess it's MT's show so they get to have it the way they want.

MACHINE666
05-22-2016, 10:46 AM
We all retired and moved on with our lives! It's a great feeling when you no longer have to choke down the Blue Kool-Aid, and can be yourself once again. ;)

Mr. Happy
07-11-2016, 12:25 PM
Dropped in to check out the forum since it's been at least several years since I've been on here, and was surprised to see a few of you old timers checking in as well. Really hated to see this place go down hill so quickly as it did. I used to enjoy popping in here daily to read up on the latest and greatest and vent a little from time to time. Plus, it seemed like most of the posters here were around my same TIS. The reason this place went downhill was the over zealous mod that came in here a few years ago, and ran everyone off. Hard to imagine the AFTs wanted that outcome since this place was once a treasure trove of knowledge and pulse of the AF for their own stories.

Anyways, now-a-days, I think most are hanging out in the Air Force section of REDDIT. Although that crowd seems to be of the younger generation. There was a camaraderie that was once here that I miss sometimes.