PDA

View Full Version : Heroin overdose epidemic..

garhkal
03-31-2016, 06:04 PM
For some months now, CNN, CBS, ABC and Fox have all had snippets of news about the epidemic of heroin overdoses. Today on Fox they even went into FL, where in one county OAP's are falling victim to it as well..

But the thing that got me (made me scratch my head) is one of the Emergency crew (fire) that were talking, mentioned they had to 'do emergency intervention' THREE times in the same day on one person, who after Oding' and being saved/taken to hospital, SELF released himself, OD'ed later in the day, got 'rescued again', self released again, then went back home and OD'ed a third time.

Sorry, but to me that is asinine that the medical responders would waste tax payer money saving this person THREE time in one day. Once i could see. Twice is a major stretch. Three times? WTF.
Why waste money saving someone, when they obviously don't feel they need/want saving? Especially when there are thousands out there who DO but can't afford it?

UncaRastus
03-31-2016, 07:31 PM
Garhkal, I worked at the L.A. Harbor General Hospital, pretty much spending all shift, in the ER, tending to ODs. Some of them, as in the PCP types, I had to babysit them until the staff found a rom on the psych unit for them. Heroins, not too much time, because they would lapse back into reality, and sign out.

A few times, the OD would arrive, and die, before a Dr. could see them.

I do recall Docs telling the heroin ODs that if they went back to their pad and re ODed, that they probably wouldn't make it through the second one.

True or not, at the time, I don't remember seeing someone return, on the same shift. Now? I sort of agree with you. How many times do the staff have to care for the same person that doesn't care enough, not to repeat what they already had done. It almost seems more sane to give the re ODer a kit with some Narcan in it, and let them treat themselves.

How about someone that is injured, and can't be picked up in a timely manner, and they die, just because the ambulance crew is out there, dealing with the ODed patient for the 3rd time that day, and they can't get to the other patient?

On the other hand, like the doctors had to do, a lot of us that were into ER care and ambulance crews had to take either the Hippocratic Oath, or the Aesculapian Oath, where we swore to not causing harm (or death) to any patient.

Sometimes, what we feel, and what we do, are on different paths of reality.

garhkal
04-01-2016, 04:17 AM
I sort of agree with you. How many times do the staff have to care for the same person that doesn't care enough, not to repeat what they already had done.

Sometimes, what we feel, and what we do, are on different paths of reality.

Too true. Too true. One of my female gaming comrades, is married also to an ER Emt.. He has lost count of the # of times he has saved the SAME person who already has OD'ed, but they got called out yet again.. But admittedly that is also up in Chicago (he's on the west side around Joilet)..

Why should they be saved from themselves, when they seem content to NOT save themselves???