PDA

View Full Version : You have a virus ...c all this number ...

UncaRastus
03-30-2016, 05:47 PM
A couple of weeks ago, a friend, who is the towns tattooist, had a popup screen that told him that he had a virus, and that he had to call a number to receive the remedy, supposedly at a 'Microsoft place'.

He checked around, and found that he would be missing his 'puter for a few days to a week, if any of the computer fixers around here were to do his computer.

He ended up calling the number, and his 'puter was magically fixed.

From what I thought, was that someone might have done the good old ransomware thingy to him, and I told him how nice it was, to allow some nogoodnik into his computer. Maybe his computer is now a relay for the same 'virus'?

We do not contact each other, via our computers. The computer that was infected is basically his business computer. If I want to talk to him, I go to his tattoo parlor, a couple of blocks away from my house.

Yesterday, I was online, as usual, and I sat down to come into here. I opened up the Chrome browser on my Windows 10 computer, and there it was. The same screen that he got. I tried to ctrl/alt/del. That did nothing. I tried to exit from Chrome. I couldn't. I tried the Escape key. Nothing. I also hit the all of the 'xs' possible. Nothing.

I tried to threaten my computer. It sat there, with the voice droning on, telling me what was written in the pop up box. I tried cursing at it. Nothing.

I couldn't get off of Chrome, with the pop up, and the voice. Nothing worked. I was stuck. I hit the on/off switch. My computer turned off, which I let stay off for a minute, then I came back, turned it back on, entered back into Chrome, and I looked up the info on this certain bit of bad. Everybody says to purchase this malware getter ridder, or that bit of maladware getter ridder.

I won't call that number. It's not showing up anyway, since I turned this beast off and then on, again. I don't want to put something else on here. Those mal removers load up other things, such as advertisement gateways onto our computers.

Since I also don't want to pay $250 to this 'Microsoft place', as my bud did, and I don't want any more on my computer than it has to have, does anyone else have any ideas about what to do?

Anything short of blowing my computer, or tossing it out of the window, that is.

retiredAFcivvy
03-30-2016, 05:57 PM
A couple of weeks ago, a friend, who is the towns tattooist, had a popup screen that told him that he had a virus, and that he had to call a number to receive the remedy, supposedly at a 'Microsoft place'.

He checked around, and found that he would be missing his 'puter for a few days to a week, if any of the computer fixers around here were to do his computer.

He ended up calling the number, and his 'puter was magically fixed.

From what I thought, was that someone might have done the good old ransomware thingy to him, and I told him how nice it was, to allow some nogoodnik into his computer. Maybe his computer is now a relay for the same 'virus'?

We do not contact each other, via our computers. The computer that was infected is basically his business computer. If I want to talk to him, I go to his tattoo parlor, a couple of blocks away from my house.

Yesterday, I was online, as usual, and I sat down to come into here. I opened up the Chrome browser on my Windows 10 computer, and there it was. The same screen that he got. I tried to ctrl/alt/del. That did nothing. I tried to exit from Chrome. I couldn't. I tried the Escape key. Nothing. I also hit the all of the 'xs' possible. Nothing.

I tried to threaten my computer. It sat there, with the voice droning on, telling me what was written in the pop up box. I tried cursing at it. Nothing.

I couldn't get off of Chrome, with the pop up, and the voice. Nothing worked. I was stuck. I hit the on/off switch. My computer turned off, which I let stay off for a minute, then I came back, turned it back on, entered back into Chrome, and I looked up the info on this certain bit of bad. Everybody says to purchase this malware getter ridder, or that bit of maladware getter ridder.

I won't call that number. It's not showing up anyway, since I turned this beast off and then on, again. I don't want to put something else on here. Those mal removers load up other things, such as advertisement gateways onto our computers.

Since I also don't want to pay $250 to this 'Microsoft place', as my bud did, and I don't want any more on my computer than it has to have, does anyone else have any ideas about what to do?

Anything short of blowing my computer, or tossing it out of the window, that is.
I'm not a computer whiz, but I've gotten that message (once with an alarm)and just shut it down as that was the only way to get out of the screen. I figure that since I've got anti-virus installed anything like that is a scam.

garhkal
03-30-2016, 07:13 PM

Periodically create a restore point, that way if you get this sort of thing, you can just 'restore' to a prior known good level..

UncaRastus
03-30-2016, 09:56 PM
The laptop started to having my pointer arrow doing the jitterbug as I was just finishing the last sentence for my post. I submitted it, and shut the laptop down.

I came back, a couple of minutes ago, and I noticed that spillage from a bottle of Mountain Dew had gotten onto the laptops keyboard. Duh!

I reentered Chrome, anyhow, and I came here, and the laptop is doing just fine. Thanks for the input, guys!