PDA

View Full Version : Bergdahl lawyers: Trump attacks damage chances of fair trial

sparks82
03-11-2016, 07:08 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/home/3649195-155/bergdahl-lawyers-trump-attacks-damage-chances

"When they get that kind of media attention, it gets information in front of a jury," said Philip Cave, a retired Navy attorney who's not involved in the case. "There is concern that all of this information ... prejudices Bergdahl in getting a fair trial."

I have never heard Trump mention Bergdahl but obviously he has. But I don't think this would affect a jury. Obviously his lawyers have to defend him and do their best in doing so. But I see it as a way to extend this out or try to get him off the charges.

Anyone else?

garhkal
03-12-2016, 07:05 AM
Nope neither can i remember trump mentioning him. And the media has been rather all over trump love him or hate him..

sparks82
03-14-2016, 07:32 PM
Nope neither can i remember trump mentioning him. And the media has been rather all over trump love him or hate him..

There are quotes attributed to him in the article. So I guess he did. But no one really cares about Bergdahl (in the media) so that's probably why.

garhkal
03-15-2016, 07:52 AM
Point taken. Heck i am STILL surprised he has not been through his court martial yet.

sparks82
03-16-2016, 07:38 PM
Point taken. Heck i am STILL surprised he has not been through his court martial yet.

His lawyers are finding every excuse they can to postpone it. This is another one of those delay tactics. Not surprised. It took Manning awhile to get done.

UncaRastus
03-19-2016, 06:08 PM
It seems that the pretrial Sanity Board Evaluation has found that Bergdahl has and did have a schizotypal personality disorder, although, at the time, 'he was able to appreciate the nature and quality and wrongfulness of his conduct.'

'He hoped to trigger an alert and gain the attention of senior military leaders. He wanted to alert them to what he believed were dangerous actions by his commanders.

Bergdahl said he believed his commander hated his unit and could purposely send it out on suicide missions.'

As reported, in:

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/273453-bergdahl-had-mental-disease-when-he-walked-off-post-in-afghanistan

To my best knowledge, he left a guard post, to go through a hostile area, to try to see someone that was superior to his own CO.

If, indeed he did that, his act was almost suicidal, in itself.

What isn't mentioned, claiming his mental disorder to be 'schizotypal', I think that with his paranoia, it might instead be called 'paranoid schizophrenia.' The downgrading of his mental disorder might be a ploy by the US Army to take him to trial. If he was found to be a paranoid schizophrenic, he would have an out, as far as the trial goes.

There is a difference between schizotypal and paranoid schizophrenia, however, whatever authority trying him in the future may not know of the distinction or the severity of paranoid schizophrenia.

I visit the local home for 'those not quite ready for prime time', and I see that type, weekly. To date, this type of mental disorder is not curable, although it can be at least partially contained, if the patient stays on antipsychotic medications.

From having known a couple of paranoid schizophrenics on the outside of the home, I have found it almost impossible to expect these types of people to remain on their medications. They would much rather have their own little world, rather than being drugged into almost catatonia.

To leave a guard post, in a country where there are people were constantly trying to kill US service people, is, in itself, a very serious crime.

The aforegoing is my opinion, only.

garhkal
03-20-2016, 05:04 AM
[QUOTE=UncaRastus;362805
What isn't mentioned, claiming his mental disorder to be 'schizotypal',[/QUOTE]

The thing that makes me call BS on all of this, is this is the first time they are even mentioning this, let alone the first time i have ever heard of this 'mental disorder..

UncaRastus
03-20-2016, 01:24 PM
Garkhal, take a look at this offering by the Mayo Clinic.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/schizotypal-personality-disorder/basics/definition/con-20027949

Then think of some of the people that post in here ...

UncaRastus
03-20-2016, 05:04 PM
If any of you want to check on this, here is the place to see it:

https://bergdahldocket.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/rcm2070620board20conclusions.pdf

UncaRastus
03-20-2016, 05:04 PM
Deleted for repeated.

garhkal
03-20-2016, 06:43 PM
Garkhal, take a look at this offering by the Mayo Clinic.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/schizotypal-personality-disorder/basics/definition/con-20027949

Then think of some of the people that post in here ...

So anyone who is odd or eccentric can be diagnosed with it? Strange.

Seems to me these days, they come up with more and more mental diagnosis that in the past were just considered someone being odd..

UncaRastus
03-20-2016, 08:19 PM
I am now wondering what normal people are going to be called? Will the Normies have to take classes on how to become somehow as messed up as his neighbors are?

Or how to appear to be paranoid, just because someone that is in a gov't vehicle is pointing a ray emitting device at your head, and you don't have your tinfoil chapeau in place ...

I agree with you, Garhkal. Welcome to the Club of Skeptical Fuddy Duddies.

garhkal
03-21-2016, 04:00 AM
At the rate things are going, with people being 'out there' being the norm, it does seem us normal folk might wind up being the outsiders..

UncaRastus
03-21-2016, 02:13 PM
It could be that the generation that wants entitlement could be steering the ship, as to the direction that we Americans are heading off to. They seem to want everyone to fit into some niche, with the titling thereof being somehow important.

Peanut allergy? No one in your school can now bring in a peanut butter sandwich. One person gets angry because the school is flying an American flag? Put up a Mexican flag. Someone hates the USA? Stop using the Pledge of Allegiance. A principal feels that it's their duty to take out the word 'Christmas', when it comes to Christmas vacation days? Change that to Holidays vacation. And so on.

Some kid wants to look out the window, because they are bored? Or someone wants to wisecrack their way through school? Feed that kid ritalin.

Some kid doesn't feel happy? By golly, we'd better make sure that the kid gets special attention, even though every kid reaches a point where that kid doesn't always feel loved, or goes into rebellion, or just hates everything on principle. That is because of the rush of hormones that kids go through.

My daughter's son is going through getting his molar teeth. She was told by someone that using tylenol causes cirrhosis, so she went to buy some wonder over the counter drug that contains belladonna, instead. Which was used to be used by the Medici's, to off their enemies.

And how does any of this get started? Mostly because of the easy use of the internet to find someone else, join a faction of people, and to promulgate changes in society.

Obviously, we all use internet. We, in here, are over 30, maybe 40 years of age. Or 60. We have our own ways set, largely, because of life experiences. Those raised on the internet, though, get their leanings from the internet, it seems.

There are also teachers, that lived through the age of Hippiness, also. They have drummed into their heads how the children ought to think and act. Everyone is special. Yadda yadda yadda ... and that becomes institutionalized.

Except during the Hitler years, kids were taught what to think, and how to act, in Germany.

We might as well face the facts. Society is passing us by. We are not in charge of holding the 'progress' of the world to our way of thinking. For the good or the bad of it all, this IS inevitable.

The one thing that has never changed though, is that kids still get onto my lawn. Maybe I should put up a stone wall, with a drawbridge.

Rainmaker
03-21-2016, 02:58 PM
i am STILL surprised he has not been through his court martial yet.

There's not a snowball's chance in Hell that this treasonous wack job stands trial a day before November 9th 2016.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2015/03/26/obamas_bergdahl_fairytale_has_unhappy_ending_12605 4.html

https://news.vice.com/article/why-was-the-fbi-investigating-michael-hastings-reporting-on-bowe-bergdahl

sandsjames
03-21-2016, 02:58 PM
The one thing that has never changed though, is that kids still get onto my lawn. Maybe I should put up a stone wall, with a drawbridge.

It's not "your" lawn my friend. It belongs to the Earth Mother. And kids would stay off if you would stop mowing it and let it revert to its natural state. Tall weeds and overgrown lawns are great for the ecosystem. It allows bugs and other wildlife to thrive.

Forget having it look nice...just let it go...not only is it natural, it'll keep the kids off...talk about killing two birds with one stone (I'm not saying we should be killing birds...just the opposite, actually).

UncaRastus
03-21-2016, 04:59 PM
Thanks, SJ! I almost did the wrong thing, and Mother Gaia would have been so displeased with me!

garhkal
03-21-2016, 05:12 PM
It could be that the generation that wants entitlement could be steering the ship, as to the direction that we Americans are heading off to. They seem to want everyone to fit into some niche, with the titling thereof being somehow important.

That they do, and when people who are 'sane' rail against these things, they get labeled all sorts of stuff, from haters, to bigots, to sexist/racist etc...

And how does any of this get started? Mostly because of the easy use of the internet to find someone else, join a faction of people, and to promulgate changes in society.

Obviously, we all use internet. We, in here, are over 30, maybe 40 years of age. Or 60. We have our own ways set, largely, because of life experiences. Those raised on the internet, though, get their leanings from the internet, it seems.

And what i hate is how its all called 'social networking' but seems to be making us Less sociable than ever...

There are also teachers, that lived through the age of Hippiness, also. They have drummed into their heads how the children ought to think and act. Everyone is special. Yadda yadda yadda ... and that becomes institutionalized.

Too true. Over on the GOPUSA site, where we are laughing our heads off at all the cuffallow going on, on college campuses, it is all tied into how liberally indoctrinating those places of 'lower education' have become, now its biting them in the butt.

garhkal
03-21-2016, 05:13 PM
It's not "your" lawn my friend. It belongs to the Earth Mother.

I actually thought you were going to say "Its not your lawn, its the governments..."

sandsjames
03-21-2016, 09:29 PM
I actually thought you were going to say "Its not your lawn, its the governments..."

No...I was going all hippy and stuff with this one.

sandsjames
03-21-2016, 09:31 PM
Too true. Over on the GOPUSA site, where we are laughing our heads off at all the cuffallow going on, on college campuses, it is all tied into how liberally indoctrinating those places of 'lower education' have become, now its biting them in the butt.

The irony of this post is interesting...talking about "liberal indoctrination" while pointing out joking about it on a website that's all about conservative indoctrination.

sparks82
03-23-2016, 03:16 PM
I find it odd that his initial story in the videos while he was captured he continually stated that he fell behind while on patrol and got captured. Now suddenly once he's home it's "my command was mean so I was going to go to another base and report them."

He's just going to do what he can to get out of trouble and, honestly, I think a lot of people would do that if they were faced with life in prison. Most people aren't going to trek across Afghanistan either though.

Something is wrong with him that's for sure.

garhkal
03-23-2016, 07:19 PM
I find it odd that his initial story in the videos while he was captured he continually stated that he fell behind while on patrol and got captured. Now suddenly once he's home it's "my command was mean so I was going to go to another base and report them."

He's just going to do what he can to get out of trouble and, honestly, I think a lot of people would do that if they were faced with life in prison. Most people aren't going to trek across Afghanistan either though.

Something is wrong with him that's for sure.

That, along with for someone who was 'held captive' he certainly seemed rather friendly with his captors when he was handed over...

sparks82
03-24-2016, 02:10 PM
That, along with for someone who was 'held captive' he certainly seemed rather friendly with his captors when he was handed over...

Right? I remember seeing that and thought "Who the hell acts like that and hugs their captors before they go home?" I would have been crying once I got on the helicopter and left the place. I definitely wouldn't hug any Taliban. The whole thing is crazy.

UncaRastus
03-24-2016, 03:23 PM
I suppose that Stockholm Syndrome might have come into play, in Bergdahl's case. That's always a possibility.

He might have thought that the devil he knew (his captors) was better than the devil that he didn't know, at that time (the US Army, and his eventual court martial).

He might have been ashamed of what he had done, walking off a guard post, in a combat zone, leaving that sector open to attack.

sparks82
03-28-2016, 03:17 PM
I suppose that Stockholm Syndrome might have come into play, in Bergdahl's case. That's always a possibility.

He might have thought that the devil he knew (his captors) was better than the devil that he didn't know, at that time (the US Army, and his eventual court martial).

He might have been ashamed of what he had done, walking off a guard post, in a combat zone, leaving that sector open to attack.

I don't think he is ashamed at all at what he did. He truly seems to think that he was doing the right thing and he "had" to trek from his base to another to inform higher leadership about the "problems" at his base.

I'm pretty sure no matter how disturbed I got by something on my base while deployed to Afghanistan or Iraq I would not leave that base to go to another to talk to leadership. No way. Also I think we all know this story of his is bullshit considering he initially said he "fell behind" on a patrol. He's just trying to save his ass and that's it.

Although it seems he got kicked out of the Coast Guard for some mental issues or something? Then of course the Army comes along and snatches him up at the time they took nearly anyone with a pulse.