PDA

View Full Version : Morale Shirts

SomeRandomGuy
02-18-2016, 01:43 PM
Does anyone else think the idea of "Morale Shirts" is the most ridiculous thing ever? For those not familiar with what I mean, a few years ago AFI 36-2903 was updated to allow people to wear "morale shirts" under their ABUs. I separated long before this change, but I still work for the Air Force. From what I understand, they can wear the official unit morale shirts on Fridays.

First of all, they look ridiculous. Every unit picks their own color so you see quite the array of options on base. Even worse, people wear them to events off base and they end up in pictures in the newspaper or on social media.

Check out the Dayton VA's Facebook post

https://www.facebook.com/DaytonVAMC/posts/1300229389991550?pnref=story

Look at the officer and Chief in the front (They are the Base Commander and Command Chief) with blue undershirts. Next to them is someone with a black undershirt and a few others are wearing black as well. Most of the rest of the group is wearing the normal tan undershirt.

Does getting to wear a different color shirt (that you have to buy on your own) really improve morale? Wouldn't a better option be just letting everyone wear civilian clothes on Fridays? I bet that would improve morale 10x more.

sandsjames
02-18-2016, 02:58 PM
Does anyone else think the idea of "Morale Shirts" is the most ridiculous thing ever? For those not familiar with what I mean, a few years ago AFI 36-2903 was updated to allow people to wear "morale shirts" under their ABUs. I separated long before this change, but I still work for the Air Force. From what I understand, they can wear the official unit morale shirts on Fridays.

First of all, they look ridiculous. Every unit picks their own color so you see quite the array of options on base. Even worse, people wear them to events off base and they end up in pictures in the newspaper or on social media.

Check out the Dayton VA's Facebook post

https://www.facebook.com/DaytonVAMC/posts/1300229389991550?pnref=story

Look at the officer and Chief in the front (They are the Base Commander and Command Chief) with blue undershirts. Next to them is someone with a black undershirt and a few others are wearing black as well. Most of the rest of the group is wearing the normal tan undershirt.

Does getting to wear a different color shirt (that you have to buy on your own) really improve morale? Wouldn't a better option be just letting everyone wear civilian clothes on Fridays? I bet that would improve morale 10x more.

Yes, it's ridiculous. I always wonder what's going through the retirees heads at the hospital or commissary when they see people running around with pink/red/blue/etc shirts on.

MACHINE666
05-22-2016, 10:52 AM
Morale shirts are nothing new; when I was stationed at Seymour Johnson in the early 90's, they did morale shirts on Fridays. I rather enjoyed it, since I was proud of the KC-10 squadron I was attached to at the time. It was one of the few times I had an awesome squadron commander and great leadership in my career.