PDA

View Full Version : Colleges and Universities. The thing about them being protected zones.

UncaRastus
02-04-2016, 04:56 PM
So, just thinking about that. What are the colleges or universities that have ROTC programs doing?

I can see it now. Here comes an ROTC graduated Marine. He is assigned to boot camp, where he becomes a series commander.

Series commanders are in charge of each series. A series is a set of 4 platoons, which train together.

He sees a DI taking the varnish off a recruit. He becomes enraged, and goes over to the DI and the recruit and tells the DI to treat the recruit kindly, and that he doesn't want any more of the DIs yelling at their recruits. Also, putting anyone in the rose garden (the obligatory sand pit, on either side of each barracks), and making those recruits do something as awful as pushups (or other delightful ways to pass the time), as punishment, would be to strip those recruits of their self esteem, and that is to stop, immediately.

Yeah. Am I just thinking negative thoughts? Am I allowed to have negative thoughts, about how that crap might affect the USMC?

I can see it now. "Everybody in the pool! The last guy has to bring us all some soda pops! Come on, buds!" As proclaimed by a DI.

Say it ain't so!

sandsjames
02-04-2016, 05:08 PM
So, just thinking about that. What are the colleges or universities that have ROTC programs doing?

I can see it now. Here comes an ROTC graduated Marine. He is assigned to boot camp, where he becomes a series commander.

Series commanders are in charge of each series. A series is a set of 4 platoons, which train together.

He sees a DI taking the varnish off a recruit. He becomes enraged, and goes over to the DI and the recruit and tells the DI to treat the recruit kindly, and that he doesn't want any more of the DIs yelling at their recruits. Also, putting anyone in the rose garden (the obligatory sand pit, on either side of each barracks), and making those recruits do something as awful as pushups (or other delightful ways to pass the time), as punishment, would be to strip those recruits of their self esteem, and that is to stop, immediately.

Yeah. Am I just thinking negative thoughts? Am I allowed to have negative thoughts, about how that crap might affect the USMC?

I can see it now. "Everybody in the pool! The last guy has to bring us all some soda pops! Come on, buds!" As proclaimed by a DI.

Say it ain't so!

What a nice story...and you tell it so well...with such enthusiasm.

The military used to make everyone the same by exposing everyone to the same hardships and humiliations. Now they've apparently found it easier to bypass the hardships and humiliations and just tell everyone they are the same.

Rusty Jones
02-04-2016, 05:10 PM
If I recall correctly, the equivalent position in the Navy ("Ship's Officer," I believe it's called) is an LDO billet, so the likelihood of that happening in the Navy is pretty nil. In any case, I have doubts that that will ever happen in any other service either. First, that officer will have to answer for telling his people not to do their jobs; second, these are young cocky butterbars we're talking about here, who would probably be eager to join in on the DI'ing (assuming they're allowed to. I'm not sure if they are in the Navy... as I've never seen it happen, but I do know that they are in the Army).

Rainmaker
02-06-2016, 02:16 PM
https://vimeo.com/125515628

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

UncaRastus
02-06-2016, 03:02 PM
RJ, at least way back when, the Series Commanders were, indeed, butter bars. Although being placed in charge of each series, series = 4 platoons, they were not allowed to get into the business of DIing.

As a matter of fact, each new series that I was assigned to, during the training, the SC showed up at different training events, but they kept to the background. Seeing as they were newbies, they tried to stay out of the way of the DIs.

When the series set off on their route step march out to ITS (back then, we had to teach them a bit about infantry life), which included orienteering, night maneuvers, the gas chamber, and so on, was the only time that the SC gave the first movement commands.

That was about the only time that the SCs got to be heard by everyone in the series, all at once.

Times may have changed from back in the old Corps.

The one thing that could happen, was when a DI was really really really being overboard with 'correcting' a recruit. That was very rare, though.

So, the 2Lt SC was rarely seen. They always hung around the back of the buildings or out on the field. They never came with us for PT.