PDA

View Full Version : Senators scold Mabus for causing drama with Marine Corps

UncaRastus
02-02-2016, 09:39 PM
Mabus is going to allow the USMC to keep there segregated boot camps for men and women.

Marine Corps Times:

'Navy Secretary Ray Mabus explained what persuaded him to allow men and women to continue training separately at Marine boot camp a month after he ordered Corps leaders to develop a plan to make its entry-level training coed.

“The Marines did a very good job of showing ... that the way it’s done now sets both men and women up for greater success,” Mabus told reporters Tuesday.

In a Jan. 1 memo, Mabus ordered the Marine Corps to develop a plan to integrate its boot camp and Officer Candidates School. Mabus met with Marine Commandant Gen. Robert Neller about two weeks after the memo was released, and Marine Corps Times learned then that the service would continue training its male and female recruits separately.'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That being said, I do believe that USMC should have something to say about whether they do or do not allow women into the infantry, also.

Marine Corps Times:

'The integrated task force experiment found that as mixed gender teams carried heavier loads, fatigue took a toll on female Marines’ accuracy.' he said.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The women chosen to take part were voluntarily there. They were all at the top physical standards for the USMC. But as of yet, they were below standards on carrying loads, and on accuracy firing their weapons after carrying such loads.

The Marines had a few robotic 'mules' to assist with load carrying, but those 'mules' are being withdrawn, because they wear out too quickly.

The women that participated were likely to get injured. Anything from broken bones to shin splints. Shin splints being the most common injury, it takes 6 months if the trainee is female, before being allowed to participate in physical activity, including marching, running, and gear carrying activities.

I was a corpsman at MCRD Parris Island, SC. I was in charge of one of the sick calls. I saw women come in with shin splints. They were most likely discharged, because of the extra time and money needed to recycle them.

The person affected by shin splints is likely to reinjure themselves.

With the preponderance of those injuries during the testing, it likely would be way too costly time and money wise, for the USMC to be able to afford.

While I was at boot camp, having also been a DI at Parris Island, I was used to picking up recruits that had been injured and hospitalized. Not once did I ever see one recruit return after getting shin splints, and that was back in the day before cammos became common issue for the recruits.

The USMC does with what it has. Right now, it has been cut back to the bone. To be able to allow women Marines to kick back for 6 months, before returning to likely suffer the same injury would be disastrous, in the long run, both to the trainee, and to the USMC.

Accuracy in firing weapons is the one of the trademarks of the USMC. To allow a lessened capacity to fire weapons accurately would be deadly to the other Marines.

It's not about he said/she said. It is about the ability to bring accurate fire on the enemy.

It's not about allowing women to serve with men, when the **** hits the fan. It IS about how many get killed, on the other side, as well as ours. If one of the Marines can't shoot accurately, why should that Marine be up front and personally trying to get the bad guy? It's not a thing about 'trying to be fair', it all boils down to the personal safety of the Marines that are out there, successfully prosecuting their mission.

I don't know how to put this any clearer.

Time spent including time in a hospital or out on light duty + cost of training with over spending + cost of Marines lives = a Marine Corps that has spent itself out of remaining part of our armed forces, both > than the USMC can afford, both monetarily, and human life wise.

To the newer posters in here, I transferred services, from the USMC to the USN.