PDA

View Full Version : Wearing unearned medals is 'free speech'?

garhkal
01-13-2016, 10:52 PM
Saw this over lunch on Foxes ticker..
http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/01/12/stolen-valor-court-ruling-wearing-unearned-military-medals-protected-speech

http://www.12newsnow.com/story/30944889/us-court-wearing-unearned-military-medals-is-free-speech

http://www.usnews.com/news/offbeat/articles/2016-01-11/us-court-wearing-unearned-military-medals-is-free-speech

I am sorry, but how is wearing an UNEARNED medal protected via free speech? Does that mean i can start calling myself Senator (Unearned), Detective Schmucatelly (unearned) and so on?

efmbman
01-14-2016, 12:07 AM
This is old news. The Supreme Court struck down the Stolen Valor Act back in 2012. Here is the key element of the new law:

After the Stolen Valor Act was struck down, Congress passed a new law making it a crime to profit financially by lying about military service. President Barack Obama signed it in 2013.
The prosecution would have to prove that someone profited from the lie.

Mjölnir
01-14-2016, 12:15 AM
http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/01/12/stolen-valor-court-ruling-wearing-unearned-military-medals-protected-speech

http://www.12newsnow.com/story/30944889/us-court-wearing-unearned-military-medals-is-free-speech

http://www.usnews.com/news/offbeat/articles/2016-01-11/us-court-wearing-unearned-military-medals-is-free-speech

I am sorry, but how is wearing an UNEARNED medal protected via free speech? Does that mean i can start calling myself Senator (Unearned), Detective Schmucatelly (unearned) and so on?

Yes, as long as you do not materially gain from your claim you can lie about whatever you want.

Rusty Jones
01-14-2016, 12:22 AM
I am sorry, but how is wearing an UNEARNED medal protected via free speech?

Because there's no victim. And before you say anything about disrespect to those who earned the medals, save it. The First Amendment doesn't make exceptions for "disrespect."

Personally, I think that people are attaching too much sentimental value to mass produced pieces of metal and cloth that sell for $15 a piece. Medals don't make the man, and there are plenty of shitbags out there who have Purple Hearts and Combat Action Ribbons.

Does that mean i can start calling myself Senator (Unearned), Detective Schmucatelly (unearned) and so on?

Yes, it does. What, do you think someone should go to jail for that?

Jails and prisons are for people who pose a physical or financial threat to public safety. Not people who bought medals at their local Army Navy surplus store.

MikeKerriii
01-14-2016, 02:49 AM

"Detective" might get you in trouble if you flash a badge and pretend to be a cop,otherwise you are free to lie at will. Otherwise politicians would all be in jail.

garhkal
01-14-2016, 08:23 AM
Yes, it does. What, do you think someone should go to jail for that?

Jails and prisons are for people who pose a physical or financial threat to public safety. Not people who bought medals at their local Army Navy surplus store.

As it stands there are already laws out there against "impersonating police officers or judges".. So how is that ANY different than impersonating a XYZ medal awardee??

Rusty Jones
01-14-2016, 11:58 AM
As it stands there are already laws out there against "impersonating police officers or judges".. So how is that ANY different than impersonating a XYZ medal awardee??

Are you fucking serious? I can't believe people are still using this argument nearly four years after the whole "Stolen Valor" fiasco started.

Okay, this is a false equivalency. Police officers and judges have legal authority. Authority that can used, misused, and abused. And even if used with good intentions by someone who doesn't know what they're doing, people can be hurt or killed. The very presence of a police officer (whether real or perceived) affects how people behave, so that should tell you the potential dangers. Think about how everyone drives slow whenever there's a Crown Victoria around. We don't even have to discuss the bad intentions. This makes it the equivalent of shouting "fire" in a theater.

Someone wears a fucking medal that they didn't earn. Great. Are they pretending to be someone who can arrest you, while intending to rob or kill you? Are they pretending to be someone who knows what they're doing during a bank robbery, and will end up making decisions that will get others hurt or killed?

Think about this: during your military career, did "more medals" really mean shit other than promotion points (if they even had point value to begin with), or making you look more salty?

sandsjames
01-14-2016, 02:00 PM
Are you fucking serious? I can't believe people are still using this argument nearly four years after the whole "Stolen Valor" fiasco started.

Okay, this is a false equivalency. Police officers and judges have legal authority. Authority that can used, misused, and abused. And even if used with good intentions by someone who doesn't know what they're doing, people can be hurt or killed. The very presence of a police officer (whether real or perceived) affects how people behave, so that should tell you the potential dangers. Think about how everyone drives slow whenever there's a Crown Victoria around. We don't even have to discuss the bad intentions. This makes it the equivalent of shouting "fire" in a theater.

Someone wears a fucking medal that they didn't earn. Great. Are they pretending to be someone who can arrest you, while intending to rob or kill you? Are they pretending to be someone who knows what they're doing during a bank robbery, and will end up making decisions that will get others hurt or killed?

Think about this: during your military career, did "more medals" really mean shit other than promotion points (if they even had point value to begin with), or making you look more salty?

I'm with you on this. I'm not sure why, but the "stolen valor" thing has never bothered me, even a little bit.

SomeRandomGuy
01-14-2016, 03:39 PM
I'm with you on this. I'm not sure why, but the "stolen valor" thing has never bothered me, even a little bit.

Same here. I think if people would just remove emotion from it they'd see how stupid it really is to be mad about this.

If you don't believe me hop on Google and search "Super Bowl ring for sale" I bet you can find some athlete who won the Super Bowl that is selling his ring. Buy the ring and wear it around bragging about how you won the Super Bowl with the 1995 Cowboys. First off, no one will believe you, second it doesn't in any way dishonor what the actual 1995 Cowboys did. If you want to wear the ring you certainly can. Troy Aikman doesn't get pissed off when someone else claims they were the QB of the 1995 Cowboys and uses the ring as proof.

Rainmaker
01-14-2016, 04:03 PM
Troy Aikman doesn't get pissed off when someone else claims they were the QB of the 1995 Cowboys and uses the ring as proof.

None of Troy Aikman's teammates ever bled out on the football field.

MikeKerriii
01-14-2016, 04:40 PM

You will find that those laws only cover people who attempt to use, or use, the authority of those offices, there in no authority associated with a medal. you can were a judges robes or a Cops uniform as you please as long as you don't try to act as either.

This buffoon is a great example:

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/01/colorado-man-appoints-himself-judge-for-bundy-militants-bogus-court-against-local-officials/

Until he tries enforce his will against other he can remain a free man, although he is obviously quite insane

Rusty Jones
01-14-2016, 04:48 PM
None of Troy Aikman's teammates ever bled out on the football field.

Bleeding doesn't happen in football? LOL

UncaRastus
01-14-2016, 05:31 PM
I recall talking to this 'gentleman' who told me how he was retired as an Admiral, after having also been promoted to General with the Air Force, and how as to every bit of his retirement was never spent by him, because it was donated to various organizations that help veterans.

He was the first USN SEAL, and also that he flew the SR-71s, back when the SR-71 came into service. Maybe it was the U-2s, that he flew. One or the other.

I wasn't convinced, because he wasn't wearing any medals or ribbons, at all.

I finally got rid of him, by saying how pussified the services are now. That I was the Roman Centurion which pierced some guys side while he was hanging on a cross. And that he was hung for impersonating a king.

I don't know if he believed me or not. I should have worn my Roman Centurion medals. At least, though, from what I can remember, is how he had to go to a nonexistent veteran's rally.

Good riddance. The nerve of some people.

OK, so I will leave off of my remembrances for now. I have to spit shine my hobnailed sandalboots, and I have put that off long enough, already.

Mjölnir
01-14-2016, 05:32 PM

There's no crying in baseball.

Rusty Jones
01-14-2016, 05:41 PM
I recall talking to this 'gentleman' who told me how he was retired as an Admiral, after having also been promoted to General with the Air Force, and how as to every bit of his retirement was never spent by him, because it was donated to various organizations that help veterans.

He was the first USN SEAL, and also that he flew the SR-71s, back when the SR-71 came into service. Maybe it was the U-2s, that he flew. One or the other.

I finally got rid of him, by saying how pussified the services are now. That I was the Roman Centurion which pierced some guys side while he was hanging on a cross. And that he was hung for impersonating a king.

I don't know if he believed me or not. I should have worn my Roman Centurion medals. At least, though, from what I can remember, is how he had to go to a nonexistent veteran's rally.

OK, so I will leave off of my remembrances for now. I have to spit shine my hobnailed sandalboots, and I have put that off long enough, already.

If this happened, it wouldn't be unprecedented. Although mostly known for his role in naval battles in the Civil War, Raphael Semmes was Admiral in the Confederate Navy and a General in the Confederate Army... AT THE SAME TIME at one point.

Rainmaker
01-14-2016, 05:44 PM

Apples and Oranges.....Only dipshits that've never strapped on a pair of shoulder pads on a Friday night or been in a combat zone would make this comparison.

Rusty Jones
01-14-2016, 05:48 PM
Apples and Oranges.....Only dipshits that've never strapped on a pair of shoulder pads on a Friday night or been in a combat zone would make this comparison.

Then why did YOU do it? You must never have done those things.

Rainmaker
01-14-2016, 05:49 PM

It ain't bragging if you done it!

UncaRastus
01-14-2016, 05:56 PM
I think that I need a new laptop ... deleted

UncaRastus
01-14-2016, 05:56 PM
Rusty, yeah, it did happen. I was standing in front of a Walmart with the local Marines from a local Detachment from from the Marine Corps League. We were ringing bells and collecting for the Salvation Army.

This older guy came up and started to crow about his achievements, and after listening, bored and freezing, for about a half an hour, I finally came out and told him my story of having been in the Roman Centurions, and so on. I thought, "Well, hey! If he can lie, why shouldn't I come out with an even more fabulously phony story about soldiering?"

At least, he left, before I got to the next point of my story, about Abraham Simpson and me, winning the 2nd World War, singlehandedly. Before you ask, the 2 of us, winning singlehandedly - intentional obfuscation. Which didn't happen, of course, but I would have probably dropped the sneer and laughed outright, so it was good that my yarn spinning was cut short.

You know how us Roman Centurions always sneer, right?

And you got me. I am not spit shining my famous and obviously false RC sandalboots.

Rainmaker
01-14-2016, 06:01 PM
Then why did YOU do it? You must never have done those things.

Some Random Guy compared the two. Rainmaker said that's Apples and Oranges. Meaning fundamentally different.

Rainmaker's Alma Matter Just won Its 3rd straight state title (5th Overall).

We learned some life lessons there "Where competition means everything"..... Like the value of hard work and Discipline.

But, They ain't the same thing.

Go Big Red

http://www.forthillfootball.net/

Rusty Jones
01-14-2016, 06:03 PM
It ain't bragging if you done it!

I never said you were bragging. I said you were making the comparison.

In any case, whether or not one has "bled" is irrelevant, as only the Purple Heart requires one to be injured and no other medal has that requirement; not even the higher ones. If not even a single injury happened for Dallas that year, the point that was made still remains the same - wearing something that is not earned does not take away from those who've earned it. The Super Bowl ring does not make Troy Aikman. What he has done on the field does. Someone wearing an unearned Super Bowl ring doesn't take anything away from him. Troy Aikman is going to be Troy Aikman, while the guy wearing the Super Bowl ring is going to be... just some guy wearing a Super Bowl ring.

The same is true for medals.

Rainmaker
01-14-2016, 06:10 PM
I never said you were bragging. I said you were making the comparison.

In any case, whether or not one has "bled" is irrelevant, as only the Purple Heart requires one to be injured and no other medal has that requirement; not even the higher ones. If not even a single injury happened for Dallas that year, the point that was made still remains the same - wearing something that is not earned does not take away from those who've earned it. The Super Bowl ring does not make Troy Aikman. What he has done on the field does. Someone wearing an enearned Super Bowl ring doesn't take anything away from him. Troy Aikman is going to be Troy Aikman, while the guy wearing the Super Bowl ring is going to be... just some guy wearing a Super Bowl ring.

The same is true for medals.

We agree (for the most part) Can't see beating anybody up in a mall over it.

Now I'll have you know, Rainmaker is a Good Conduct Medal winner with (6 oak leaf clusters) and Class 2A All State (Honorable Mention) Safety.

ESPN Song......Da na na Da na na.....BOOYAH!!!!!

You clowns just got "Schlonged"!

Acknowledge your defeat and move along "posers".

UncaRastus
01-14-2016, 06:25 PM
Does this mean that I can't be wearing my CMoH anymore? Notice, I said 'my CMoH'. Not the the one that I never received, just because the USMC/USN never saw fit to giving me one. As I recall, it was Abe Simpson and me, winning the 2nd World War, singlehandedly ...

But now, the true story will never be told. Ummm, the truly unbelievable story of derring do, which the like of which was never seen before, or since, since Abe and I won that war.

So, having given myself the CMoH, I am now sad because the other guy's stories will never be known, just because we all rewarded ourselves the CMoH.

The Creamy Meat on Hamburgerbuns Award, also not awarded to the cooks whom shall remain unknown, just because someone else stole the idea, put it on toast or untoasted bread, and called it SoS.

Now it be pill time for Abe and me. If I miss taking my pills, I could go off the deep end, and start really lying. I think that it's a bit late for Abe, though. Such a liar, all of the time!

SomeRandomGuy
01-14-2016, 06:27 PM
We agree (for the most part) Can't see beating anybody up in a mall over it.

But, Rainmaker is a Good Conduct Medal winner with (6 oak leaf clusters) and Class 2A All State (Honorable Mention) Safety.

ESPN Song......Da na na Da na na.....BOOYAH!!!!!

You clowns just got "Schlonged"!

Acknowledge your defeat and move along "posers".

If I buy a letterman jacket from your alma mater and wear it around are you going to be pissed?

"Yo, check this out, I was All-State in Basketball, Football, Golf, Baseball, and Soccer. I have the letters and medals right here on my letterman jacket."

Rainmaker
01-14-2016, 06:32 PM
If I buy a letterman jacket from your alma mater and wear it around are you going to be pissed?

It's a free country. So, You can do what you want.

Just Don't be surprised when Rainmaker Office Linebackers your ass at the 7-11. Gnomesayin?

As I recall, it was Abe Simpson and me, winning the 2nd World War, singlehandedly ...

"REMEMBER THE MAINE, TO HELL WiTH SPAIN!!!!"

garhkal
01-14-2016, 07:43 PM

It does me, as i liken it to having a school where i worked my butt off to gain a degree in XYZ course, then finding out over the past 10 years since i left, they have just handed those same degrees out to any tom dick and harry who enrolled... It waters down my accomplishments... I see the same with awards for valor. If everyone has them, its no longer as 'prestigious'..

Rusty Jones
01-14-2016, 07:58 PM
It does me, as i liken it to having a school where i worked my butt off to gain a degree in XYZ course, then finding out over the past 10 years since i left, they have just handed those same degrees out to any tom dick and harry who enrolled... It waters down my accomplishments... I see the same with awards for valor. If everyone has them, its no longer as 'prestigious'..

You know, I can relate to this. I got my bachelor's degree from Southern New Hampshire University back in 2008. Before anyone from outside of New England had even heard of the school. Then, in 2011 or 2012, I noticed that the school was doing a major overhaul to its website. Like most schools, the website's homepage listed current events, like one of the teams winning the latest game or one of the professors receiving some national award; things like that.

But when the overhaul came... I noticed that it's "Enroll at SNHU" and "We have hundreds of degree programs to choose from," and "designed to fit your schedule," and all this other shit.

It's a not-for-profit school but, as of early 2014, it's now a school that advertises on TV.

However, is that the fault of the people who have gotten their degrees from there since? Absolutely not.

Rainmaker
01-14-2016, 08:05 PM
You know, I can relate to this. I got my bachelor's degree from Southern New Hampshire University back in 2008. Before anyone from outside of New England had even heard of the school. Then, in 2011 or 2012, I noticed that the school was doing a major overhaul to its website. Like most schools, the website's homepage listed current events, like one of the teams winning the latest game or one of the professors receiving some national award; things like that.

But when the overhaul came... I noticed that it's "Enroll at SNHU" and "We have hundreds of degree programs to choose from," and "designed to fit your schedule," and all this other shit.

It's a not-for-profit school but, as of early 2014, it's now a school that advertises on TV.

However, is that the fault of the people who have gotten their degrees from there since? Absolutely not.

Southern New Hampshire University??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q81NnURns6w

Everybody knows if you ain't a graduate of The University of Phoenix Fighting Phoenixes You ain't shit!

Mjölnir
01-14-2016, 10:07 PM
On one hand, folks who make false claims about military service are not taking anything away from anyone who has served or actually earned the medals, titles or devices that many of the 'Stolen Valor' folks claim.

As Rusty Jones pointed out, there are a lot of dirtbags running around with Purple Hearts and Combat Action Ribbons or Combat Infantryman Badges. However, the part of me that sports 4 CAR's has an amount of 'been there and done it' respect for someone who has served in combat (which yes, is really just going where ordered and doing what you are supposed to do) in contrast to the millions of Americans who have not served their country in war.

For people who are not SeALS, Rangers, Recon Marines etc. it is probably hard to understand why it irks those who have earned those titles when someone who didn't earn that badge or title claims to have done so. There is a lot of pain, sweat, sometimes blood and personal sacrifice that go into being a Special Ops operator. I know plenty of people who never went the Special Ops route who possessed the physical ability but they didn't want to deal with the other aspects of that life ... that is part of what makes that community. There is a certain unspoken camaraderie that exists in that community just based on having earned your place within it. It is not "We do something others can't" but more "We have done someone that most won't". Yes, all who do so are volunteers, most who do so do it not for the status but to challenge themselves beyond their limits, few who do so run around beating their chests about it. So someone claiming to have earned it when that haven't angers those who have; and is generally not understood by those who have not.

Having said all that, I don't think it is something that should be against the law, unless people materially gain from their deceit, essentially obtaining goods or services via fraud. As far as impersonating a police officer or judge; for 'officers of the United States' (federal judges, FBI, CIA, military commissioned officers etc.) Section 912 of Title 18 is the Federal Law that makes this illegal. State an local officers (police and local judges etc.) are covered under State and local laws. As Rusty Jones said, this is generally because of the imposition of authority on the public that these officers execute and the ability to render the appearance of legality to otherwise illegal acts (unlawful detention, seizure of property/contraband etc.)

sandsjames
01-15-2016, 12:45 PM

You're analogy is horrible, and I'm the king of poor analogies. Stolen valor isn't like a college handing out degrees to everyone who enrolls...it's like someone printing out their own degree that is useless.

Rusty Jones
01-15-2016, 03:10 PM
You're analogy is horrible, and I'm the king of poor analogies. Stolen valor isn't like a college handing out degrees to everyone who enrolls...it's like someone printing out their own degree that is useless.

I was thinking the same thing. If he was complaining about lowering standards for awarding commendation and achievement medals, then it would be on point. The authority for awarding something lowing its standards for awarding something is a different argument from someone falsely claiming to have been awarded it.

garhkal
01-15-2016, 08:04 PM
I was thinking the same thing. If he was complaining about lowering standards for awarding commendation and achievement medals, then it would be on point. The authority for awarding something lowing its standards for awarding something is a different argument from someone falsely claiming to have been awarded it.

I guess i just see them as being similar.. Your example of them 'being handed out' lowering standards, to me is the same as those who have not even earned them wearing them..
They both have people wearing them who didn't properly earn them.

sandsjames
01-15-2016, 08:30 PM
I guess i just see them as being similar.. Your example of them 'being handed out' lowering standards, to me is the same as those who have not even earned them wearing them..

Who gives a shit unless they try to use it for personal gain?

UncaRastus
01-16-2016, 06:04 PM
If ever I find someone else wearing a Marine Corps Drill Instructor ribbon, we will stand there and shout stuff at one another, until the other gal or guy begins to do pushups, in repentance for wearing the ribbon, when he or she doesn't rate wearing it.

If he or she is still standing there, shouting, and using the 'knife hand' after an hour has gone by, I will give them a free shot of whisky, and welcome her or him as one DI to another DI.

Or, I could just ask her or him what the name used between DIs is, when one DI is greeting another DI, not used by very many people outside of the DIs world.

If the answer is 'hat', that would work work, too. As in, " Good morning, hat!"

Rusty Jones
01-16-2016, 06:13 PM

They're NOT similar, because the AUTHORITY behind the award decided that the person earned. Garhkal is not the authority.

Mjölnir
01-16-2016, 07:20 PM
If ever I find someone else wearing a Marine Corps Drill Instructor ribbon, we will stand there and shout stuff at one another, until the other gal or guy begins to do pushups, in repentance for wearing the ribbon, when he or she doesn't rate wearing it.

If he or she is still standing there, shouting, and using the 'knife hand' after an hour has gone by, I will give them a free shot of whisky, and welcome her or him as one DI to another DI.

Or, I could just ask her or him what the name used between DIs is, when one DI is greeting another DI, not used by very many people outside of the DIs world.

http://14544-presscdn-0-64.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/marine-drill-instructors.jpg

Mjölnir
01-16-2016, 07:21 PM

http://14544-presscdn-0-64.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/marine-drill-instructors.jpg

UncaRastus
01-16-2016, 09:15 PM
The recruit is bitching about not getting enough sleep, and the DIs are left agape at the scumbag thinking that he has the right to be complaining.

This is a recruit, in the first phase of training, noticed by me, because of the un grown-out a bit, high and tight, and his BDU being buttoned up to the top. I recall thinking to myself, while I was in the first phase, 'Oh boy! Yay! 13 weeks more to go? I wish that I could be here, like, forever! This is funtastic!'

OK, I NEVER thought that.

garhkal
01-16-2016, 09:36 PM
Who gives a shit unless they try to use it for personal gain?

That's the thing though, this guy was supposedly using it for gain..

MikeKerriii
01-17-2016, 01:20 AM
That's the thing though, this guy was supposedly using it for gain..

Where did you get that idea from?

It is not in any of the three links you gave, When somebody offered him money he turned them in.

Rainmaker
01-25-2016, 05:26 PM
Speaking of which...... Ladies and Gentleman, Rainmaker proudly presents United States Representative from the great state of Washington...... Graham Hunt.....

Who according to this article "has described himself as having been "wounded in combat" but grows vague when asked for details. He said he was knocked down by explosions but cannot remember where. He also says he cannot remember the names of units he deployed with to Iraq and Afghanistan, and he declined to elaborate on service-related injuries for which he said he is receiving disability benefits"

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/2016/01/24/washington-state-lawmaker-alters-bio-after-questions-raised-war-record/79270912/

So, This clown has the mental wherewithal to serve in congress. But, his injuries are so severe, that he has no fucking recollection of where he even was???

Well. I suppose that could happen..... Let me guess..... Fraudulent PTSD/TBI VA claim surfaces in 3...2...1...

garhkal
01-25-2016, 08:58 PM
Good point Rain. If he is that mentally incapable of remembering what unit he served with, or the like, then how is he mentally competent enough for congress?

sandsjames
01-25-2016, 09:24 PM
Good point Rain. If he is that mentally incapable of remembering what unit he served with, or the like, then how is he mentally competent enough for congress?

Teddy Kennedy...need more be said about mental competence in Congress?

garhkal
01-26-2016, 05:49 AM
My point exactly. Surely there should be some minimum mental capacity laws for our lawmakers..

sandsjames
01-26-2016, 11:45 AM
My point exactly. Surely there should be some minimum mental capacity laws for our lawmakers..

That would only be true if there was some minimum mental capacity for the voters.

MikeKerriii
01-26-2016, 04:54 PM

That would nt be fair, it would decimate the Republican party of Folks Like Steve King, and Gohmert, Not to mention the last Republican President and the last three Governors of Texas.