PDA

View Full Version : Air Force cancels Tops in Blue's 2016 tour pending review

Bos Mutus
12-21-2015, 08:51 PM
For years, Tops in Blue has been derided by airmen who think it's an outdated waste of money that should be shut down. But those complaints have been ignored — until now.The Air Force announced in a release Monday it is canceling the 2016 season of its traveling song-and-dance troupe to allow "an extended review of the program." The Air Force had directly asked rank-and-file airmen — for the first time — what they think of the group in October. The results were not kind to Tops in Blue.

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/2015/12/21/air-force-cancels-tops-in-blues-2016-tour-pending-review/77707654/

First enlisted pilots, now TIB cancelled? WHAT IS GOING ON!!??

UncaRastus
12-21-2015, 08:55 PM
***snickers***

MikeKerriii
12-22-2015, 01:46 AM
First enlisted pilots, now TIB cancelled? WHAT IS GOING ON!!??

Perhaps someone in senior leadership is becoming connected to reality, I hope they do more good work before that are caught and stopped.

Mjölnir
12-22-2015, 12:37 PM
I saw them once, overseas ... the show seemed dated (and let's face it ... I have drank a lot of kool aid in my time.)

I did see at least that the article discussed the amount of money that the group cost (and also factored the salaries of the performers) vice the standard "costs the government / USAF nothing" argument that was made about TIB a year or so ago.

Shrike
12-22-2015, 12:40 PM
JQPublic did an unscientific survey of 2000 service members. It asked "Which would enhance your morale more, a free taco or a TIB show?" 97% chose the taco.
Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out, TIB. Or do. No one cares.

Mjölnir
12-22-2015, 12:59 PM
JQPublic did an unscientific survey of 2000 service members. It asked "Which would enhance your morale more, a free taco or a TIB show?" 97% chose the taco.
Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out, TIB. Or do. No one cares.

Are we talking one of the cheap regular tacos or a giant double layer taco? Not that it really matters but I am hungry as I read this.

Rusty Jones
12-22-2015, 01:06 PM
...what the fuck is this supposed to be? The Air Force's glee club? I've never heard of these guys and if the Navy has an equivalent, I'm not aware of it. Not sure how well that would work out. I could see a bunch of pissed off Sailors who are on edge on an aircraft carrier that hasn't hit a port in over two months, and whose CO hasn't given them a beer day... being "entertained" by a bunch of happy-looking and happy-acting people who look like they haven't got a single care in the world.

Now being Air Force, I'm deploying to the Deid soon. I'll be on the flight line pushing pallets in the same weather where I wanted to die while standing a five-hour quarterdeck watch. At least I won't have to worry about being "entertained" by those clowns at the expense of what little personal time I may have.

giggawatt
12-22-2015, 01:12 PM
...what the fuck is this supposed to be? The Air Force's glee club? I've never heard of these guys and if the Navy has an equivalent, I'm not aware of it. Not sure how well that would work out. I could see a bunch of pissed off Sailors who are on edge on an aircraft carrier that hasn't hit a port in over two months, and whose CO hasn't given them a beer day... being "entertained" by a bunch of happy-looking and happy-acting people who look like they haven't got a single care in the world.

Now being Air Force, I'm deploying to the Deid soon. I'll be on the flight line pushing pallets in the same weather where I wanted to die while standing a five-hour quarterdeck watch. At least I won't have to worry about being "entertained" by those clowns at the expense of what little personal time I may have.

You should have plenty of off duty entertainment if you choose. TIB came while I was there 2 years ago. Other live music acts go there though so it's pretty cool. They had live band karaoke there a couple times. That was pretty cool.

Mjölnir
12-22-2015, 01:13 PM

I think the closest thing the USN has is the Sea Chanters; but there more formal (even do opera) than a WWII style USO show.

I staged out of AUAB a couple of times, there is a nice exchange now and the pool (MANtanastan.) AUAB was where I saw them ... it was ... meh.

Absinthe Anecdote
12-22-2015, 01:18 PM
They were even dated dated back in the 1980s when they came to put on a show at a remote radar site I was at.

I was 20-years-old and resented the hell out of my flight chief for making me go to the club to see them until he said that he didn't want to go either, but we had to.

The subject came up at a commander's call about a week later and the commander actually said something along the lines that it was important for us to help keep TIB's morale up by going to their show.

Just think how bad they'd feel if nobody went to their show.

Bos Mutus
12-22-2015, 01:50 PM
I will say that I always enjoyed the shows...can't say they really raised my morale or anything, but a pretty good show, IMO.

Probably not worth the cost from an AF perspective....

Absinthe Anecdote
12-22-2015, 02:04 PM
I will say that I always enjoyed the shows...can't say they really raised my morale or anything, but a pretty good show, IMO.

Probably not worth the cost from an AF perspective....

I remember that watching a pretty girl sing a song in a glittery blue dress did stir up some feelings in me.

It reminded me how much I liked pretty girls and just how much I hated that radar site I was stationed at.

From the perspective of a young troop, it was added torture.

Admittedly, I had a Sandsjames whiner mentality as an A1C.

I don't think anything would have placated me short of letting me join their tour so I could be with the pretty girl in the glittery blue dress.

Rainmaker
12-22-2015, 10:02 PM
No love for Tops in Blue?....... Say it ain't so...

Can't say I'll miss em either.

But, if Uncle Sugar hadn't WASTED $383 MILLION on the Syrian "Train And Equip" cluster-fuck trying to arm up a bunch of "moderate" jihadists (that wandered off into the desert with all the kit we bought them, on the first week of the deployment) we'd still have the $300K laying around for a little morale.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/11/05/pentagon-isil-syria-train-and-equip/75227774/

Mjölnir
12-22-2015, 11:27 PM
No love for Tops in Blue?....... Say it ain't so...

Can't say I'll miss em either.

But, if Uncle Sugar hadn't WASTED $383 MILLION on the Syrian "Train And Equip" cluster-fuck trying to arm up a bunch of "moderate" jihadists (that wandered off into the desert with all the kit we bought them, on the first week of the deployment) we'd still have the $300K laying around for a little morale.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/11/05/pentagon-isil-syria-train-and-equip/75227774/

Nah ... Totally different pots of money. ;)

Airborne
12-24-2015, 07:18 AM

If you think you are going to be swamped with work "hacking the mish" at Al Udeid, you are highly mistaken. It's one of the most derided "deployments" in the USAF. You will have plenty of free time.

Over time I dont think TIB, was hated because it was a waste of money. It's literally fiscal dust in the grand scheme of things. I think people were growing weary of being on what is possibly now their 3d, 4th, or 5th deployment and being forced to see this cheesebag performance from the 70s.

AERYCK13
12-30-2015, 08:24 PM
Over time I dont think TIB, was hated because it was a waste of money. It's literally fiscal dust in the grand scheme of things. I think people were growing weary of being on what is possibly now their 3d, 4th, or 5th deployment and being forced to see this cheesebag performance from the 70s.

Jackpot!!!

Salty Old Dog
01-29-2016, 12:23 PM
Personally, I'd rather see more USO shows, especially for overseas locations. Service branch bands were the norm, back in my day, but it seems you don't see them touring too much (at least, to bases) anymore.