PDA

View Full Version : Light Bulbs

Absinthe Anecdote
12-17-2015, 02:39 PM
I bought a desk lamp from Ikea in the early 1990s that had one of the early versions of those curly fluorescent bulbs in it.

I knocked it over and broke it this morning while dusting. It was still going strong at nearly 25 years old, not bad.

However, I have another lamp with one of them purchased recently that burned out in little over a year.

I guess they figured out it didn't make sense to make them last that long.

MikeKerriii
12-17-2015, 04:54 PM
I bought a desk lamp from Ikea in the early 1990s that had one of the early versions of those curly fluorescent bulbs in it.

I knocked it over and broke it this morning while dusting. It was still going strong at nearly 25 years old, not bad.

However, I have another lamp with one of them purchased recently that burned out in little over a year.

Or it was a shoddy product that you bought.:)

Absinthe Anecdote
12-17-2015, 05:31 PM
Or it was a shoddy product that you bought.:)

I think it would be harder to turn a steady profit if manufactures made light bulbs that lasted 25 years, as opposed to two or three year light bulbs.

There is a light bulb in California that has been burning near continuously since 1909. The company that made it went out of business even though their bulbs were better than the ones made by Edison and GE.

They sold less of them and couldn't keep their production line going.

Sometimes it doesn't make sense to make a durable product.

Bos Mutus
12-17-2015, 05:37 PM

The money is in the re-buy.

Was talking with someone about this the other day...

How Diet Sodas actually make you fatter...keep you coming back thinking you need more diet in your life.

My ex-mother-in-law had a theory that deodorant caused body odor later...and if you never used deodorant, you would never need it. I don't recall her ever having bad B.O.

I'm suspicious of a lot of products this way...that they actually delay-cause what you think they are correcting/preventing so as to keep you coming back...

efmbman
12-17-2015, 05:38 PM

Same experience here. When I moved into my new house I figured I should start off with replacing all the old bulbs with those high efficiency, long lasting bulbs. I've been here less than a year and have had to replace almost all of them. These are much more expensive than the traditional bulbs (which I am in the process of transitioning back to).

Rainmaker
12-17-2015, 07:01 PM
CFL bulbs are just another of the endless examples of .gov inserting itself into the private market place and fucking it up Under the guise of "saving the planet".

We've been using the proven, safe, cheap Incandescent bulbs without an issue for a century, and all of a sudden the Utopian good idea fairies show up and start lecturing us to use CFLs that cost 10 times as much, burn out 10 times faster than they said they would, and if you inadvertently drop one, the God damn things blow up like a bomb and leak toxic mercury all over your house.

What a Scam.

garhkal
12-18-2015, 02:44 AM
The money is in the re-buy.

Was talking with someone about this the other day...

How Diet Sodas actually make you fatter...keep you coming back thinking you need more diet in your life.

My ex-mother-in-law had a theory that deodorant caused body odor later...and if you never used deodorant, you would never need it. I don't recall her ever having bad B.O.

I'm suspicious of a lot of products this way...that they actually delay-cause what you think they are correcting/preventing so as to keep you coming back...

Just like a lot of modern medicine. They give you more side effects making you sicker than what they are supposed to cure/suppress..

Rainmaker
12-18-2015, 03:20 AM
Just like a lot of modern medicine. They give you more side effects making you sicker than what they are supposed to cure/suppress..

How bout .gov mandated ethanol, another green energy scam to "save the planet"?

reduces performance, so you get shitty gas mileage. attracts water, so it eats up all your small engines. increased food prices in America and caused mal nutrition all over the third world contributing to the Central American refugee crisis.