PDA

View Full Version : Very cold here. Oh so cold ...

UncaRastus
12-16-2015, 10:38 PM
So, I was sitting here, luxuriating in the nice warm inside temperature. Outside tonight, it is forecast to go down to 25 degrees F.

The soft sound of warmed forced air is soothing. Until it starts to sound like 16 inch projectiles from the Mighty Mo traveling close by.

I went to the basement, to check if the inner guts of the heat pump system that we had upgraded a few years was creating the noise. And yes, it was. The inner housing always was just a chunk of metal that I have to change filters on every year, and it always just sat there, being metallic and silent.

It had transmogrified itself into some kind of a monster!

I approached the metal monster, not quite knowing what to expect. It was doing some kind of monster dance. Not vibrating, but it was more like jerking itself back and forth, trying to escape it's wooden base.

I lunged at it, with my certified tank fighting stick outthrust, and I luckily mashed it's malevolent monster eyes, that also so happen to double as it's off switches.

Silence.

No warm air circulating.

I called the guy that upgraded the system, and was told that he'd most likely be here tomorrow morning.

Luckily, I have a few electric heaters in the house, for emergencies such as this.

Silence, though. The kind that monsters also strike out of. I will be going upstairs to the master bedroom, and I will enjoy the sound of a space heater doing it's thing.

Monsters. Everywhere. Do y'all think that Ripley finally made it back to earth?

I really hate Alien monsters.

USN - Retired
12-17-2015, 07:10 AM
It is a little after 10:00 PM out here in Ewa Beach on Oahu. The outside air temperature is 75 degrees F.

Note: Ewa is pronounced eh' vah

UncaRastus
12-17-2015, 01:49 PM
Whoaaa ... 75? At night? In December?

Oh yeah. Ewa. It figures. I picked out where to live by closing my eyes and putting a finger on a map. Why couldn't I have picked Hawaii?

The fixer guy came by this morning, and he took out the blower, from the metal monster. It was like all kinds of wonky jawed. He'll be back this morning with a new one, hopefully. It took about 2 minutes to pull out the blower unit. The motor seems fine, but the blowers fan was like almost free floating. We looked for a mouse, but nothing doing.

The internal unit is older, but it worked fine, until the fan wheel decided it wanted no part in keeping the house warm or cool. The outside unit is newer. I just wonder when that sucker decides to go bad ...

At least, when taken apart, the entire inner unit was so clean that the guy was amazed. I guess that not many people out here pay attention to changing the air filters.

UncaRastus
12-17-2015, 02:52 PM
Since the inner unit wasn't changed when the outer unit was upgraded, I had to pay for the fix.

Total bill was $68.50.

Maybe living out here in the hinterlands isn't so bad, after all.