PDA

View Full Version : LAUSD closed due to thread

Bos Mutus
12-15-2015, 08:01 PM
In case you didn't hear this morning... Los Angeles Unified School District closed all schools today based off a threat that was emailed in.

Which, from what I'm picking up....second largest school district in the U.S. Some 900 schools serving near 600,000 students...lots of chaos in the city this morning.

"The preliminary assessment is that it was a hoax or something
designed to disrupt school districts in large cities. The investigation
is ongoing as to where the threat originated from and who was
responsible," Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Burbank) said in a statement.

Another local congressman, Brad Sherman, said the person who sent
an email threat to several Los Angeles Unified School board members
claimed to be "an extremist Muslim who has teamed up with local
jihadists," according to Congressman Brad Sherman.
"The email
makes relatively specific and wide-ranging threats to Los Angeles
schools," said Sherman (D-Los Angeles), a senior member of the House
Foreign Affairs Committee.

"The text of the email does not demonstrate that the
author has studied Islam or has any particular understanding of Islam,"
he added. The only thing known, Sherman said, was that the email was
"sent by an evil person."
The email also mentioned explosive
devices, assault rifles and pistols and was traced to an IP address in
Frankfurt, Germany, according to law enforcement sources.
All
campuses were closed Tuesday morning after receiving what officials have
called a "credible threat" of violence involving backpacks and packages
left at campuses. Still, one law enforcement source familiar with the
evidence said there was no sign that "this individual is actually
capable of carrying out the threat."

If you work in a DOD office at all...you probably have one of those "Bomb Threat" cards near your phone that tells you what information to try and get if a bomb threat is called in.

So, I have a question:

Do real bombers/terrorists ever call in their attack beforehand...and do extremist Mulsims say "I am an extremist Muslim"? Or are all phoned in threats hoaxes...why go through all the trouble of planting a bomb and then call it in to avoid the damage you intended to begin with? If you don't want anyone hurt, just bomb an empty warehouse or something.

I never quite understood the phoned in bomb threat scenario. Have there been actual cases where the bomber saved lives by calling it in before his bomb went off?

I can appreciate the school board's position...I mean, no one wants to be the guy that ignored a threat that turns out to be real....but who doesn't think some high school kid didn't finish his report last night?

sandsjames
12-15-2015, 08:12 PM
In case you didn't hear this morning... Los Angeles Unified School District closed all schools today based off a threat that was emailed in.

Which, from what I'm picking up....second largest school district in the U.S. Some 900 schools serving near 600,000 students...lots of chaos in the city this morning.

If you work in a DOD office at all...you probably have one of those "Bomb Threat" cards near your phone that tells you what information to try and get if a bomb threat is called in.

So, I have a question:

Do real bombers/terrorists ever call in their attack beforehand...and do extremist Mulsims say "I am an extremist Muslim"? Or are all phoned in threats hoaxes...why go through all the trouble of planting a bomb and then call it in to avoid the damage you intended to begin with? If you don't want anyone hurt, just bomb an empty warehouse or something.

I never quite understood the phoned in bomb threat scenario. Have there been actual cases where the bomber saved lives by calling it in before his bomb went off?

I can appreciate the school board's position...I mean, no one wants to be the guy that ignored a threat that turns out to be real....but who doesn't think some high school kid didn't finish his report last night?

The only reason is to create fear and chaos. As you said, the school board had no choice.

Rainmaker
12-15-2015, 08:36 PM

So, I have a question:

Trump's fault

efmbman
12-16-2015, 03:36 PM

My first thought was that someone might have sent the threat to either:
1) distract the LEOs from something else, something bigger (they had to search and clear 900 schools in a day - I have my doubts that this task was even accomplished).
2) test the response and procedures for use in future operations. A threat was made in NYC as well, but was blown off.
3) just plain old puppetmaster stuff. Pull the strings and watch them dance. I'm sure it freaked out many parents in the area.

MikeKerriii
12-16-2015, 03:43 PM
The only reason is to create fear and chaos. As you said, the school board had no choice.

As NYCs actions prove, the School Board did have a choice.

sandsjames
12-16-2015, 03:53 PM
As NYCs actions prove, the School Board did have a choice.Well, there's always a choice, but I think LAUSD made the right move. Of course hindsight is always 20/20, but imagine if they had thought it was a hoax, kept kids in school, and a bomb went off somewhere. Then people would be bitching about LAUSD taking chances with children's lives. So I'm ok with the decisions made in both LA and NY.

sandsjames
12-16-2015, 03:54 PM
1) distract the LEOs from something else, something bigger (they had to search and clear 900 schools in a day - I have my doubts that this task was even accomplished).
2) test the response and procedures for use in future operations. A threat was made in NYC as well, but was blown off.
3) just plain old puppetmaster stuff. Pull the strings and watch them dance. I'm sure it freaked out many parents in the area.

Makes me think of Diehard 3...

garhkal
12-16-2015, 06:42 PM
Well, there's always a choice, but I think LAUSD made the right move. Of course hindsight is always 20/20, but imagine if they had thought it was a hoax, kept kids in school, and a bomb went off somewhere. Then people would be bitching about LAUSD taking chances with children's lives. So I'm ok with the decisions made in both LA and NY.

Exactly. Damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of situation. They are getting flack now for over responding. BUT had they not, and like NY did, considered it a hoax and something DID happen, they would imo be getting even MORE flack.

MikeKerriii
12-16-2015, 10:01 PM
Well, there's always a choice, but I think LAUSD made the right move. Of course hindsight is always 20/20, but imagine if they had thought it was a hoax, kept kids in school, and a bomb went off somewhere. Then people would be bitching about LAUSD taking chances with children's lives. So I'm ok with the decisions made in both LA and NY.
fifty times it happens, The people that did this now know they can get a large amount of disruption at very low cost and at low risk. Anyone else watching got the same message

TJMAC77SP
12-17-2015, 07:35 PM

So, I have a question:

The IRA used to phone in their bomb threats. They had a prearranged code they gave the authorities so that it could be confirmed as real. The Brits would then evacuate the premises. Of course they didn't always call, sometimes it didn't work (Omagh), and not all factions did this but it did save some lives.

TJMAC77SP
12-17-2015, 07:39 PM

Absinthe Anecdote
12-17-2015, 08:00 PM
The IRA used to phone in their bomb threats. They had a prearranged code they gave the authorities so that it could be confirmed as real. The Brits would then evacuate the premises. Of course they didn't always call, sometimes it didn't work (Omagh), and not all factions did this but it did save some lives.

You IRA bastards really did some horrendous shit.

Good thing there were heroic Ulstermen around to put you in your place.

Rainmaker
12-17-2015, 08:07 PM

it's a common tactic....

http://www.historycommons.org/context.jsp?item=a800silversteindoctors&scale=0#a800silversteindoctors

TJMAC77SP
12-17-2015, 08:13 PM
it's a common tactic....

http://www.historycommons.org/context.jsp?item=a800silversteindoctors&scale=0#a800silversteindoctors

Sorry RM, you lost me on this one.

Absinthe Anecdote
12-17-2015, 08:41 PM
Sorry RM, you lost me on this one.

More of his 9/11 Truther bullshit about the Jews being responsible for it.

Rainmaker
12-17-2015, 08:46 PM

So, You're saying that the people at History commons.org (and the sources they cite) are making it all up?

And that Larry Silverstein and his 2 kids and the other 66% of his company staff (that were reported as being absent) were actually in the North Tower that day?

And who said anything about "Jews"? Why is it always necessary for you to immediately default to that response?

TJMAC77SP
12-18-2015, 12:48 AM

Ok, I see that now but still don't get the tie in to the IRA (or anyone) phoning in bomb threats.

Aw shit, the Hell with it.

Rainmaker
12-18-2015, 01:33 AM
Ok, I see that now but still don't get the tie in to the IRA (or anyone) phoning in bomb threats.

Aw shit, the Hell with it.

The First rule about 9-11 club is you do not talk about 9-11 club.

UncaRastus
12-18-2015, 03:10 PM
About 10% of those killed on 9/11 were Jewish.

http://www.politicsforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=131543

Rainmaker
12-18-2015, 08:27 PM
About 10% of those killed on 9/11 were Jewish.

http://www.politicsforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=131543

Moslem Terrorists did 9-11.

But, Never said a word about "The Jews". Who the fuck are "The Jews"? There is no country on Earth called "The Jews".

However There is one called "Israel".

Israel. Not "the Jews"

There are so many holes and executive branch interference with the 9/11 Commission's official story and anybody with any critical thinking skills can prove it to themselves in less than an hour of research.

Everyday Americans don't buy the Government's 9/11 Story. Which is a big part of why trust in Government is way down.

Being a Patriotic American does not mean submit to lies and propaganda

UncaRastus
12-18-2015, 08:45 PM
Not sure. What is someone with 'Alpine heritage'?

An Alpo?

MikeKerriii
12-19-2015, 04:01 AM

Everyday Americans don't buy the Government's 9/11 Story. Which is a big part of why trust in Government is way down.

Being a Patriotic American does not mean submit to lies and propaganda The tin-foil hat set doesn't believe the government story on 9/11, they also"think" that Sandy Hook was a sham, Vaccines are harmful, and that the President was born in Kenya, thankfully that is just a few people on the fringes of society with a low level of connection to reality.

Everything that government says is not propaganda and lies, violating "Occam's Razor" because the government said something is just being silly. The mental knots and twisted logic requited to believe all that silly BS is astounding. Why anyone would listen to people not savvy enough to realize that Alex Jones and his Ilk are con-artists is a mystery to me.

Absinthe Anecdote
12-19-2015, 01:11 PM

But, Never said a word about "The Jews". Who the fuck are "The Jews"? There is no country on Earth called "The Jews".

However There is one called "Israel".

Israel. Not "the Jews"

There are so many holes and executive branch interference with the 9/11 Commission's official story and anybody with any critical thinking skills can prove it to themselves in less than an hour of research.

Being a Patriotic American does not mean submit to lies and propaganda

What's wrong?

Getting sensitive about being accused of being a Jew hater?

Well if you didn't constantly blame them for everything you wouldn't get that from me.

If it isn't Jews, then you complain about blacks, and Hispanics.

If you can't take being called a race baiter, then stop doing it.

And yes, your Truther conspiracy site History Commons is a crock of shit.

Rainmaker
12-19-2015, 03:59 PM
What's wrong?

Getting sensitive about being accused of being a Jew hater?

Well if you didn't constantly blame them for everything you wouldn't get that from me.

Clever comment. Thank you for proving my point again.... that there is a difference between "The Jews" and "Israel".

I haven't blamed "The Jews" for anything.

You are simply upset because, I've dared to question the motives of your self-chosen masters in "Israel".

And I've repeatedly pointed out your hypocrisy, with the way you've constantly attacked Christianity, while remaining absolutely silent on Judaism.

so , all you can ever offer is resorting to the same tired old "anti-semitism" red herring. Which, no one really gives a shit about anymore. But, don't worry, it's all kosher!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_Commons

Rainmaker
12-19-2015, 04:52 PM

My first thought was it's probably just a kid trying to get out of semester exams.