PDA

View Full Version : Justice Scalia

sandsjames
12-14-2015, 07:32 PM
This in interesting. Here are two columns from two very intelligent people with differing points of view on Justice Scalia's comments about black students.

What I find interesting is how it shows the logic, supported with facts, for both arguments. These are two people who have studied it and put a lot of time and effort into it. If they can differ this much, how can we as "normal" people have a chance to find a middle ground?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/13/opinions/brown-scalia-mismatch-theory/index.html

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/13/opinions/mcwhorter-antonin-scalia-affirmative-action/index.html

Rusty Jones
12-14-2015, 08:04 PM
I thought about starting a thread like this, but... threads like this give Rainmaker a hard-on. And he's gonna splooge all over the place.

sandsjames
12-14-2015, 08:08 PM
I thought about starting a thread like this, but... threads like this give Rainmaker a hard-on. And he's gonna splooge all over the place.

I think it's a good narrative on why it's important to hear both sides of an argument.

Rainmaker
12-14-2015, 08:23 PM
I think it's a good narrative on why it's important to hear both sides of an argument.

I'd rather hear Justice Scalia explain why it that ,there's not been so much as one white Anglo Saxon protestant male appointed to the supreme court since the Ford Presidency?

We're not going to find any middle ground so long as the majority of the population is being openly discriminated against in the very Nation that their forefather's built.

Rusty Jones
12-14-2015, 08:27 PM
I'd rather hear Justice Scalia explain why it that ,there's not been so much as one white Anglo Saxon protestant male appointed to the supreme court since the Ford Presidency?

We're not going to find any middle ground so long as the majority of the population is being openly discriminated against in the very Nation that their forefather's built.

Damn, Rainmaker is a 19th century style nativist!

Rainmaker
12-14-2015, 08:41 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Enjoy-Decline-Accepting-Living-United/dp/1480284769/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

The "End of America?" Most likely. The "Demise of liberty?" You betcha! The "Destruction of Western Civilization?" Of course! But why let all of the above get you down? Learn to "Enjoy the Decline!" "Enjoy the Decline" is mandatory reading for all conservatives, libertarians, Americans, and lovers of freedom who are mourning the slow, but sure death of their culture and their country. America is over. Freedom will be curtailed. Liberty is dead. And above all else, it is inevitable. But the answer is not to get depressed and give up hope. The answer is to change your attitude and learn how to "Enjoy the Decline."

MikeKerriii
12-15-2015, 01:43 AM
This in interesting. Here are two columns from two very intelligent people with differing points of view on Justice Scalia's comments about black students.

What I find interesting is how it shows the logic, supported with facts, for both arguments. These are two people who have studied it and put a lot of time and effort into it. If they can differ this much, how can we as "normal" people have a chance to find a middle ground?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/13/opinions/brown-scalia-mismatch-theory/index.html

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/13/opinions/mcwhorter-antonin-scalia-affirmative-action/index.html

I think that in this case Scali was partly right, but I don't believe that the racial part of it was accidental, Some kids for various reasons are put in classes they are not prepared for via affirmative action or the rich mans versions called "Legacies". I think Scalia gets his jollies of dancing as close to bigotry as he can just for shits and grins not caring the least who or what it harms.

MikeKerriii
12-15-2015, 01:48 AM

Like Trump his hero, he is try to recreate the "Know-Nothing Party" that failed . I wish him as much success as the people he is trying to emulate.

Bunch
01-05-2016, 02:57 AM
I agree with your assessment about Scalia.. He always trying to stir the pot with his comments when it comes to race and affirmative action... More concerning to me is the line of questioning that CJ Roberts too during the presentation of arguements... Specially when he asked about "what type of benefit diversity brings to a class?". This line of questioning wouldnt be a surprise from some people that wonder around in message boards such as this but its largely surprising for me that he would be the one asking these types of question.

MikeKerriii
01-05-2016, 03:43 AM

White Anglo-Saxon males have not been the majority in the US for a long long time, if ever, males of any kind are a minority.