PDA

View Full Version : The Stoplight

Bos Mutus
12-11-2015, 01:30 AM
"On my drive home everday, I get off the "highway" ...at the end of the exit it divides into two lanes before you get to a stoplight.

Both lanes may turn left, onto another two-lane road...

The right lane may also turn right. So...left lane, left only. Right lane, left or right. If you can picture that.

It's a rather long light...so several to many cars can often make a right on red during the redlight.

The "issue" if you haven't seen it...if a car in the front on the right hand land is turning left, he/she has to wait for the light...so none of the cars behind him who are turning right can take advantage of the right on red loophole...they have to wait on the light and the guy in front to turn left.

Rusty Jones
12-11-2015, 02:36 AM
Often times, whenever I plan on turning right but someone who is going straight is stopped in front of me, I'll do one of two things:

1. If there's nothing in the way or if it's not a single family residential property... I'll drive right onto the curb and cross the corner, and be right back in the street. Or:

2. If there's no car in the left lane, I'll get in the left lane and go around. I'll cross over right in front of him.

Yep, I'm gonna get in trouble someday. But ALL right lanes at traffic lights should be right turn only.

garhkal
12-11-2015, 03:30 AM
Often times, whenever I plan on turning right but someone who is goinf straight is stopped in front of me, I'll do one of two things:

1. If there's nothing in the way or if it's not a single family residential property... I'll drive right onto the curb and cross the corner, and be right back in the street. Or:

2. If there's no car in the left lane, I'll get in the left lane and go around. I'll cross over right in dront of him.

Yep, I'm gonna get in trouble someday. But ALL right lanes at traffic lights should be right turn only.

I've actually seen quite a few people ticketed for doing Both of the above.. (2 more than 1 though)..

As for the poll, if i know i am going right, i just stay in the right lane. If i am going left, i Try to get over to the left lane.

sandsjames
12-11-2015, 10:28 AM
I deal with this everyday. It describes the side gate on base. It's a fairly long light with little cross traffic. So what happens is all the cars that could turn right on red are stuck, backing traffic up onto the base. So annoying.

Rusty Jones
12-11-2015, 11:38 AM
I deal with this everyday. It describes the side gate on base. It's a fairly long light with little cross traffic. So what happens is all the cars that could turn right on red are stuck, backing traffic up onto the base. So annoying.

Where this is a big problem here in Norfolk is for people coming out of base housing, the intersection of Diven St and Admiral Taussig Blvd.

It's VERY long red light, and a very short green light. The green light is so short, in fact, sometimes you're not getting out of there until the third green light.

If you're wanting to go straight or turn left, many people will just turn right and then make a turn at the end of the first median strip.

Many people have actually complained to the city about that light.

So how did the city react? By putting a no U-turn sign at the end of that median strip, just last month.

Fuck them!

garhkal
12-12-2015, 03:43 AM
Where this is a big problem here in Norfolk is for people coming out of base housing, the intersection of Diven St and Admiral Taussig Blvd.

It's VERY long red light, and a very short green light. The green light is so short, in fact, sometimes you're not getting out of there until the third green light.

If you're wanting to go straight or turn left, many people will just turn right and then make a turn at the end of the first median strip.

Many people have actually complained to the city about that light.

So how did the city react? By putting a no U-turn sign at the end of that median strip, just last month.

Fuck them!

Sounds like VA... I know when i was stationed on the USS American back in 93-96, there was part of Mil highway going on to VA beach blvd, where one of the exits had a 'stop sign at', but by the time you SAW the sign, you were already 3-4 car lengths past where the stop line is... They supposedly got a hell of a lot of tickets wrote for that. BUT after enough people complained what did they do... MOVE the sign further back into the trees!

Bos Mutus
12-12-2015, 04:03 AM

I'm sure I can think of 1,000 times this is a bridge too far....when left turns have to wait for oncoming traffic....cars going strIght should be in the right lane...or when there is a left turn green arrow...there are too many different traffic patterns to make your absolute statement