PDA

View Full Version : Ship name controversy

sandsjames
12-10-2015, 04:20 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/10/politics/uss-jackson-littoral-combat-ship/index.html

I guess the era of his actions don't come into play. Should we remove the name of every President who was in office based on things that would now be considered bad?

UncaRastus
12-10-2015, 04:57 PM
I thought that the ship was named to honor Action Jackson.

My bad.

I think that we should have a ship named Tinkerbelle. And another named Cruella DeVille. And another one should be named Negative Carbon Footprint, if it is nuclear powered. A missile frigate should be named Pow! Bam! Ziff!, so that it can honor not only Batman, but also what it is there for. But not the current Batmen, just the '60s Batman.

And whatever kind of announcement, even when general quarters is sounded, should be done with the NananananaBatman song.

If we ever build a new battleship, it should be named Steven Seagal, because of the movie where he was on a battleship.

The generations of ships, as to the different classifications should be done more artfully. I think that all of the new carriers should be in the Hello Kitty class.

All of the boomer subs should be in the Pooh Bear class.

All of our cruise missiles should have a big smiley face on the warheads.

And lastly, all of the non nuclear ships should have their exhaust fumes rose scented.

Rusty Jones
12-10-2015, 05:04 PM
Considering the fact that ships have been named after Confederate Admirals and other officers, or Civil War battles that the Confederacy had one (the Army does the same thing with their installations), I think it's a little too late to be worried about this. Just my thought.

MikeKerriii
12-10-2015, 05:07 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/10/politics/uss-jackson-littoral-combat-ship/index.html

I guess the era of his actions don't come into play. Should we remove the name of every President who was in office based on things that would now be considered bad?

Not everything that would now be considered bad but mass murder of Americans, murderous betrayal of allies, and genocide are lines that we should perhaps not cross. That is like the Germans naming a ship after Himmler.

Perhaps out of international good will we should name a ship after the guy responsible for the Bataan death march? that guy killed fewer Americans than Jackson murdered.

Ever heard the term "Trail of tears"?

MikeKerriii
12-10-2015, 05:15 PM
Considering the fact that ships have been named after Confederate Admirals and other officers, or Civil War battles that the Confederacy had one (the Army does the same thing with their installations), I think it's a little too late to be worried about this. Just my thought.
What ship is named after someone that committed mass murder of American civilians, mostly women and children?

UncaRastus
12-10-2015, 05:18 PM
What is the SS Minnow, Alex!

OK, I could be wrong.

Rusty Jones
12-10-2015, 05:46 PM
Not everything that would now be considered bad but mass murder of Americans, murderous betrayal of allies, and genocide are lines that we should perhaps not cross. That is like the Germans naming a ship after Himmler.

Whether we agree with it or not, they were considered to be of a hostile nation - not American citizens. With that said, Jackson would be on the same level as Truman - a man that we do have a ship named after.

I'm not really sure that we can really compare that to naming a ship after Himmler. The United States has the world's second oldest active constitution (after San Marino), and Jackson was President under the same US Constitution that we're under.

Himmler did not serve under Germany's current constitution, so there's really never going to need for a push to recognize him on any of their ships.

MikeKerriii
12-10-2015, 07:14 PM
Whether we agree with it or not, they were considered to be of a hostile nation - not American citizens. With that said, Jackson would be on the same level as Truman - a man that we do have a ship named after.

I'm not really sure that we can really compare that to naming a ship after Himmler. The United States has the world's second oldest active constitution (after San Marino), and Jackson was President under the same US Constitution that we're under.

Himmler did not serve under Germany's current constitution, so there's really never going to need for a push to recognize him on any of their ships.

They were not hostile, they fought with other Americans in the war of 18122, some with the Rebels in the revolution, they were as American as Jackson was, even to their loyalties and military service. Even if you considered them foreign nations they were a loyal allies.

Jackson for the most past ignored the Constitution and his historical most significant Quote is “John Marshall has made his decision, now let him enforce it.” as he openly violated the Constitution for reasons of political payback. the vile SOB thought the Constitution was something he could ignore at will. He did so to allow his supporters to steal the property of others.

Rainmaker
12-10-2015, 08:43 PM

Rainmaker's FAVORITE President of all time! Old Hickory. The inspiring MAN'S MAN that Saved the Republic (as the HERO of the Battle of New Orleans) and first president to come from the common people and SHOVE IT UP THE ARISTOCRACY'S ASS!!!.

The European Central BANKSTER'S TRIED TO KILL HIM TWICE, but guess What?? HE BEAT BACK THOSE BASTARDS TOO!!!....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_War

LET'S MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN..... WHAT DO YOU SAY?? USA.... USA....USA!!!!

MikeKerriii
12-10-2015, 09:16 PM
Rainmaker's FAVORITE President of all time! Old Hickory. The inspiring MAN'S MAN that Saved the Republic (as the HERO of the Battle of New Orleans) and first president to come from the common people and SHOVE IT UP THE ARISTOCRACY'S ASS!!!.

The European Central BANKSTER'S TRIED TO KILL HIM TWICE, but guess What?? HE BEAT BACK THOSE BASTARDS TOO!!!....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_War

LET'S MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN..... WHAT DO YOU SAY?? USA.... USA....USA!!!!

That is a new order of ignorance of history even from you, the war technically and the Peace treaty signed when that battle was fought. A great "American victory' that served no useful end at all.

Bos Mutus
12-10-2015, 09:44 PM

Meh...I don't care too much about this.

I'm not for going back and changing all history and tradition...yeah, this is a new ship and named recently...don't know how or why they came up with Jackson.

I'm a little burned out on the whole "Controversy" thing anyway...

Rusty Jones
12-10-2015, 09:48 PM
Meh...I don't care too much about this.

I'm not for going back and changing all history and tradition...yeah, this is a new ship and named recently...don't know how or why they came up with Jackson.

I'm a little burned out on the whole "Controversy" thing anyway...

If they reject this name based on the controversy, wouldn't it only stand to reason that Fort Jackson would have to be renamed?

Bos Mutus
12-10-2015, 09:52 PM
If they reject this name based on the controversy, wouldn't it only stand to reason that Fort Jackson would have to be renamed?

I think one could reasonably say, "Okay, we're going to stop naming things after that guy" without being compelled to remove his name from everywhere that was already so named.

Rainmaker
12-10-2015, 10:47 PM
That is a new order of ignorance of history even from you, the war technically and the Peace treaty signed when that battle was fought. A great "American victory' that served no useful end at all.

"You are a den of thieves and vipers, and I intend to route you out, and by the Eternal God, I will route you out"- ANDREW JACKSON!!! AMERICAN HERO!!!

UncaRastus
12-10-2015, 11:00 PM
Did he use a regular router, or was he more of a plunge router kind of guy?

Rainmaker
12-10-2015, 11:14 PM
Did he use a regular router, or was he more of a plunge router kind of guy?

I DEMAND WE BLOWUP MOUNT RUSHMORE!!! all those white guys carved in Granite could be hurting someone's feelings!!!