PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento Marine Vet Says He Was Beaten Over Mistaken Case Of Stolen Valor

Rusty Jones
10-30-2015, 08:17 PM
[quote] A Marine Corps vet who served his country in combat says he was attacked by someone who believed he was lying about his military service.

It happened over the weekend at The Long Shot, an Arden-area bar. Michael Delfin says the man was looking for a fight, saying Delfin had never served.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2015/10/28/sacramento-marine-vet-says-he-was-beaten-over-mistaken-case-of-stolen-valor/

Rusty Jones
10-30-2015, 08:21 PM
Okay, I don't know what the fuck is happening. It's not letting me paste this.

In any case, I think that most of us knew that this was eventually going to happen. What's surprising is that it took this long.

UncaRastus
10-30-2015, 08:24 PM
Rusty,

I'll let Bourne know about your problem. Don't know when he will respond, though.

Rusty Jones
10-31-2015, 12:40 PM
Rusty,

I'll let Bourne know about your problem. Don't know when he will respond, though.

Thanks. Is this something only he's able to fix?

Mjölnir
10-31-2015, 01:50 PM
There was a recent update and the site has been acting a bit goofy since.

What were you trying to paste? I see the link you posted.

UncaRastus
10-31-2015, 02:57 PM
Rusty, I had the same problem when the site was updated. A few days went by, and the problem disappeared, for me. If the problem does continue, Bourne will be the guy to fix it. Hang in there, bud!

Rusty Jones
11-19-2015, 10:21 PM
Here's another incident of this happening, this time, to a Vietnam vet: http://popularmilitary.com/vietnam-veteran-humiliated-and-assaulted-by-active-duty-marines/

TJMAC77SP
11-19-2015, 11:22 PM
Here's another incident of this happening, this time, to a Vietnam vet: http://popularmilitary.com/vietnam-veteran-humiliated-and-assaulted-by-active-duty-marines/

I saw this on the local news. I was troubled by the story but to be completely honest, I was also troubled by the vet's refusal to accept the apologies of the guys who accosted him. They did act like asshats but they are willing to say that and in the end it was the Vietnam Vet's honor they were ultimately defending (they just didn't know it because of the earlier cited asshattery).

Rainmaker
11-20-2015, 12:23 AM

Shameful. Rusty you've been on top of this trend for awhile now.

Since I've retired I've encountered more than one of these millennial dweebs that think they 're the first people in the country to have ever deployed.

I believe you're correct that this is getting out of hand.Keep it coming. Rainmaker out//

TJMAC77SP
11-20-2015, 01:14 AM

Since I've retired I've encountered more than one of these millennial dweebs that think they 're the first people in the country to have ever deployed.

I believe you're correct that this is getting out of hand.Keep it coming. Rainmaker out//

I suppose that is one way to look at it. I think maybe there are more people pretending to be 'warriors' because now it's 'cool'. Maybe in the information age there's more access to the incidents as well.

Also, and more importantly I am not going to denigrate the 'millennials'. In my opinion those that have served and deployed have certainly paid a bigger price than I did

MikeKerriii
11-20-2015, 03:22 AM
I saw this on the local news. I was troubled by the story but to be completely honest, I was also troubled by the vet's refusal to accept the apologies of the guys who accosted him. They did act like asshats but they are willing to say that and in the end it was the Vietnam Vet's honor they were ultimately defending (they just didn't know it because of the earlier cited asshattery).

How can mitary/veterans honor be defended by thugs beating up the weak? Why take a apology from someone who is only sorry he picked the wrong elderly person to beat up

They are not "asshats", they violent criminals who disgraced their uniforms by this action

MikeKerriii
11-20-2015, 03:25 AM

Yes, all those millennial dweebs, thousands of them who killed and maimed while played pocket pool with your snub-nose "revolver".

TJMAC77SP
11-20-2015, 03:56 AM
How can mitary/veterans honor be defended by thugs beating up the weak? Why take a apology from someone who is only sorry he picked the wrong elderly person to beat up

They are not "asshats", they violent criminals who disgraced their uniforms by this action

Reign it in cowboy. Their 'assault' consisted of grabbing his ribbons off his chest. No one was beat up and I can only assume they are truly sorry since it appears his Purple Hearts now appear to be earned. Do you have any contrary information?

I don't condone their actions but like to think had I been in the (older) vets position and knowing that there are many slugs doing what these two young men thought he was doing he might be inclined to at least understand what motivated them.

While he is certainly entitled to travel while displaying ribbons as he did, I don't do that, do you? Might have that contributed to the situation?

Let's have a show of hands, who does that?

Of course ultimately it is his decision to accept the apology or not. I for one hope he does.

Rusty Jones
11-20-2015, 12:41 PM
Reign it in cowboy. Their 'assault' consisted of grabbing his ribbons off his chest. No one was beat up and I can only assume they are truly sorry since it appears his Purple Hearts now appear to be earned. Do you have any contrary information?

I don't condone their actions but like to think had I been in the (older) vets position and knowing that there are many slugs doing what these two young men thought he was doing he might be inclined to at least understand what motivated them.

While he is certainly entitled to travel while displaying ribbons as he did, I don't do that, do you? Might have that contributed to the situation?

Let's have a show of hands, who does that?

Of course ultimately it is his decision to accept the apology or not. I for one hope he does.

This is strange. I see victim-blaming and vindication for these two guys.

What I want to know is this: what do they think gives them the right? And not just these two, but in all cases... even if it's a legit faker?

sandsjames
11-20-2015, 01:22 PM

What I want to know is this: what do they think gives them the right? And not just these two, but in all cases... even if it's a legit faker?

Agree completely. It's because of the over-inflated praise placed on the military since 9/11. Sure, these people who do "steal valor" are no different than any other criminal. If someone shoplifts, it's not the publics job, nor is it legal, to tackle/assault the shoplifter.

Absinthe Anecdote
11-20-2015, 01:34 PM

TJ is definitely blaming the victim and vindicating the bad guys.

I think he loathes the idea of having to agree with you so much that he is petulantly taking up that position.

He is just shooting peas at you from his spot at the kiddie table.

Absinthe Anecdote
11-20-2015, 01:54 PM
Agree completely. It's because of the over-inflated praise placed on the military since 9/11. Sure, these people who do "steal valor" are no different than any other criminal. If someone shoplifts, it's not the publics job, nor is it legal, to tackle/assault the shoplifter.

I don't have a problem with fakers being called out and embarrassed in public, but getting into a physical confrontation is just dumb.

Also, calling someone out comes with a risk of being wrong.

The fakers that speak at events and try to make money off their lies, should be called out, but only after slam dunk proof is obtained.

sandsjames
11-20-2015, 02:01 PM
I don't have a problem with fakers being called out and embarrassed in public, but getting into a physical confrontation is just dumb.

Also, calling someone out comes with a risk of being wrong.

The fakers that speak at events and try to make money off their lies, should be called out, but only after slam dunk proof is obtained.

Sure. People making money off it is one thing. Some dude walking around in a uniform is another, and I couldn't care less.

Absinthe Anecdote
11-20-2015, 02:12 PM
Sure. People making money off it is one thing. Some dude walking around in a uniform is another, and I couldn't care less.

I'm annoyed by those Vietnam-era guys who walk around with gray ponytails and biker clothes with medals on their biker vests.

Thousands of those clowns invade DC every Memorial Day weekend.

I have no idea what percentage are legit, but I'm confident that there are plenty of fakers in that crowd.

I'd have less of a problem with them if they shaved, took a bath, and put on clean clothes.

TJMAC77SP
11-20-2015, 02:52 PM

I am not victim blaming and I am certainly not attempting to vindicate 'these two guys'. How many different ways do I have to say........"They did act like asshats".................."I don't condone their actions"?

I am also not overstating what they actually did vs the hyperbole.

I can't answer your question RJ because I don't know what they were thinking. If you were asking me if I thought they had the right, even though I think I have already answered that, no I don't. That might explain why I have never done such a thing and can't really see myself doing so. All of that is irrelevant to what happened

It's a simple opinion. I would have like to seen the apology accepted. That's it. No other agenda.

AA: Your opinion of my motivation is a bit ironic. I have been thinking the same thing of you in the past few days. Not the first time either.

Absinthe Anecdote
11-20-2015, 03:25 PM

AA: Your opinion of my motivation is a bit ironic. I have been thinking the same thing of you in the past few days. Not the first time either.

The old, "I'm rubber and you're glue" tactic.

Did Mannix teach you that one?

You guys behave over at the kiddie table.

If you shoot one more pea at Rusty there will be no pumpkin pie for you.