PDA

View Full Version : Asking questions of those using mobility scooters??

garhkal
10-13-2015, 03:51 AM
Back on labor day last month, while on my security guard job at a Jo-Ann fabrics, i was asked by a female customer about our 'mobility scooter' that the store provides as a courtesy to customers. I informed her someone else had it, and had been in it for around 30 min so far if memory served me correctly.
She waited for around 20 min, then asked if i would inquire from the current user how much longer she would be.
I did just that, and reported back to the lady who asked me to inquire, that the current user cause they were having a lot of shopping to do, would just hold off and come back later.
This evening at work, the store manager showed me an Email from corporate, where that lady who gave UP the cart after my 'irritant questioning and hassling of her' had ranted to corporate and after getting no joy, supposedly took it to social media to rant about her 'abusive' treatment and feeling of being profiled (Cause though she only looked fat and not disabled, she supposedly is)..

No reprimands came my way, but the manager did inform me in future if something like that comes up, to refer it to one of the MODs (managers on duty), to handle it, rather than helping a customer directly. One of the 2 night MODs, also had to get ont he phone to chat to the lady in question (and her friend who was with her the night of the incident) to 'smooth things over'..
During that chat, the MOD mentioned the lady was inquiring about whether the store would be providing her with some sort of VIP coupon to 'compensate her for her suffering', which triggered the MODs' radar that something was hanky with the whole situation.

Now the lady who was 'supposedly offended by my act' has been in the store at least twice since that day, and has on both occasions spoken to me cordially. So if she was so offended, why didn't she bring it up to ME or the MOD? Was her attempt to take it to social media, an attempt to 'fleece' us?

Now in some of the convo's i have had with that lady since (on one of those 2 aforementioned days) as well as with a few other scooter users, it has been brought up that when someone IS physically disabled, they not only get a placard for their car, but in some states supposedly get a 'disability card'.. So should those scooters be held BY staff in stores and only issued to those who HAVE those cards (so the truly needy get them)??
Should stores HAVE them?
If someone is disabled enough to need one, shouldn't they have one of their own?

Absinthe Anecdote
10-13-2015, 05:12 AM
I think it was your fault, and that you need to keep the hell off the sales floor from now on.

Go guard the trash cans in the alley and stop bothering the customers.

Bos Mutus
10-13-2015, 01:40 PM
Back on labor day last month, while on my security guard job at a Jo-Ann fabrics, i was asked by a female customer about our 'mobility scooter' that the store provides as a courtesy to customers. I informed her someone else had it, and had been in it for around 30 min so far if memory served me correctly.
She waited for around 20 min, then asked if i would inquire from the current user how much longer she would be.

This woman sat and waited for 20 mins for the scooter? Yeah, if she needed it that bad, she should have her own.

I did just that, and reported back to the lady who asked me to inquire,

Here's where you went wrong, IMO. You should have told the waiting lady that scooters are not guaranteed, they are a courtesy only and available on a strict first come, first serve basis...and it would be inappropriate to ask another customer to hurry along.

that the current user cause they were having a lot of shopping to do, would just hold off and come back later.
This evening at work, the store manager showed me an Email from corporate, where that lady who gave UP the cart after my 'irritant questioning and hassling of her' had ranted to corporate and after getting no joy, supposedly took it to social media to rant about her 'abusive' treatment and feeling of being profiled (Cause though she only looked fat and not disabled, she supposedly is)..

No reprimands came my way, but the manager did inform me in future if something like that comes up, to refer it to one of the MODs (managers on duty), to handle it, rather than helping a customer directly. One of the 2 night MODs, also had to get ont he phone to chat to the lady in question (and her friend who was with her the night of the incident) to 'smooth things over'..
During that chat, the MOD mentioned the lady was inquiring about whether the store would be providing her with some sort of VIP coupon to 'compensate her for her suffering', which triggered the MODs' radar that something was hanky with the whole situation.

Now the lady who was 'supposedly offended by my act' has been in the store at least twice since that day, and has on both occasions spoken to me cordially.

So, she's a regular customer, that's the best kind...Did you apologize for the misunderstanding and get her a Jo-Ann's VIP coupon? You should have.

So if she was so offended, why didn't she bring it up to ME or the MOD? Was her attempt to take it to social media, an attempt to 'fleece' us?

Now in some of the convo's i have had with that lady since (on one of those 2 aforementioned days) as well as with a few other scooter users, it has been brought up that when someone IS physically disabled, they not only get a placard for their car, but in some states supposedly get a 'disability card'.. So should those scooters be held BY staff in stores and only issued to those who HAVE those cards (so the truly needy get them)??
Should stores HAVE them?
If someone is disabled enough to need one, shouldn't they have one of their own?

I think it's a nice thing for stores to have them...but controlling them strictly for disabled card holders would make it more hassle than it's worth...and is unnecessary micromanagement.

Courtesy scooters...first come, first serve...leave it at that.

Tell the waiting customer it's up to her...she can either wait or go to Waffle House for an hour and come back later, but you won't be asking another customer to hurry it up...she got it first and is entitled to use it until she is done.

UncaRastus
10-13-2015, 02:37 PM
There are some people that have been injured recently, and they need to use the mobility cart, but they can't get the disability license or the card, because they are going to improve in a short time.

Also, many people don't even think about the possibility of getting a disability card, probably because they don't see themselves as being all that disabled.

My brother is, um,rather large. He has gout, permanently. The one time that he, at my urging, used a mobility cart, he was so embarrassed in using it, that he has never again used it, although he spends 2 hours in the market, for what should be a 20 minute visit.

Out here in the midwest, there are a lot of poor older people that can't seem to think that they can get their own mobility scooters, even though the gov't would be paying for them. I see a lot of elderly people doing about 1/10 of a mile per hour, trying to walk unaided, even by a cane or a walker.

I guess that they think that they are independant type people, who don't need help. And I guess that they truly are independant people. Just really slow independant people.

What gets to me is the fact that a few of these are really slow, in their reaction times. Reaching for a bottle of Geritol takes about 30 seconds. They are very slow in their walking, and in their responses to someone talking to them. Then they check out, after dumping their money on the counter, because they can't count out the correct amount for the cashier.

Then they finally get to their vehicle, spend some time trying to figure out where to put that bottle of Geritol, then they sloooowly get into the vehicle.

Then they drive off. They usually go off at about 10 mph, cutting corners, using the center of the road going around blind turns, and stopping at every intersection, even though there are no stop signs. And there they sit, until someone finally honks their horn at them. At least 3 times.

There is the problem. If an elderly person can't drive their car correctly, do you think that they could pilot a mobility cart, without placing their fellow shoppers at risk?

I stay up at night, worrying about this.

;)

Almost forgot. I use my John Deere Lawn Tractor as my mobility scooter. I don't see why the manager at Walmart is always mad at me for using it inside his store. Some people just don't understand how the BED (binge eating disorder) affects so many of us, causing us to be morbidly obese.

Well, all right. 200 pounds at 6' is not morbidly obese. I stuff pillows under my shirt, so that I can putt about in Walmart, using my JD.

Yeah. Like none of you have ever done this?

Absinthe Anecdote
10-13-2015, 04:21 PM
Security guards, need I say more?

http://youtu.be/OdKa9bXVinE

garhkal
10-14-2015, 04:01 AM
This woman sat and waited for 20 mins for the scooter? Yeah, if she needed it that bad, she should have her own.

That was the though of both me and the MOD who got the 'nasty email' from corporate. But she also said the same of the gal ON the scooter as there has been many an instance where she came in say at 6.50 and stayed on it till close (9pm).. so is known by management as being a hog of it.

Here's where you went wrong, IMO. You should have told the waiting lady that scooters are not guaranteed, they are a courtesy only and available on a strict first come, first serve basis...and it would be inappropriate to ask another customer to hurry along.

Perhaps.. Or as management advised me, just refer any questions in future to them.

So, she's a regular customer, that's the best kind...Did you apologize for the misunderstanding and get her a Jo-Ann's VIP coupon? You should have.

I am contracted security, not a store employee. So any coupons or such would have to come FROM the store (and the manager felt that how she was pushing THAT issue, it seems that's the only reason she seemed to have griped like she did). Much like some people seem to delight in going places, and willfully try to find things to bitch and moan about so they can complain to "Higher up" just so they can get gift cards/discounts etc as compensation for their "Bad time".

I think it's a nice thing for stores to have them...but controlling them strictly for disabled card holders would make it more hassle than it's worth...and is unnecessary micromanagement.

It might be a hassle, but it would make it easier for those needing them to actually get them. I can't count the # of times i have been in stores and seen someone walk in from the parking lot, plop down on one, and use it, while someone who just pulled up to the handicap spot, struggles to get into the store, can't as they are in use..

Tell the waiting customer it's up to her...she can either wait or go to Waffle House for an hour and come back later, but you won't be asking another customer to hurry it up...she got it first and is entitled to use it until she is done.

That was one of the suggestions given by higher ups..

Someone also said 'put in a bench or a few chairs' up front for those sorts of people to sit down on while they wait..

Security guards, need I say more?

http://youtu.be/OdKa9bXVinE

So IYO, store security guards are just dumb??

Absinthe Anecdote
10-14-2015, 01:18 PM
garhkal

As a former Security Policeman (Security Guard) I have no trouble answering yes to that question.

Most guards as dumb as a box of hammers.

Rainmaker
10-14-2015, 03:38 PM
I usually see the younger (under 60) types riding around in them.....If you're truly disabled that's one thing. But, I think it's time to start publicly "Fat Shaming" these lazy, 300lb behemoths motoring around in these scooters. They've become a real menace to society. One of them almost backed over my 3 year old niece at Disney last week.

UncaRastus
10-14-2015, 04:02 PM
Doesn't Disney World have their scooters equipped with those backup horns that automatically sound off when the scooters are being reversed?

I would sue the Disney Corp. for the mental pain and anguish of almost seeing your niece being run over by one of those heartless scooters.

Bos Mutus
10-14-2015, 04:49 PM
That was the though of both me and the MOD who got the 'nasty email' from corporate. But she also said the same of the gal ON the scooter as there has been many an instance where she came in say at 6.50 and stayed on it till close (9pm).. so is known by management as being a hog of it.

Again...what I read here is "Regular customer"

Perhaps.. Or as management advised me, just refer any questions in future to them.

Well, sure...but as a grown man, don't you find it just a little embarrassing that they don't think you can handle yourself in these situations?

I am contracted security, not a store employee. So any coupons or such would have to come FROM the store (and the manager felt that how she was pushing THAT issue, it seems that's the only reason she seemed to have griped like she did). Much like some people seem to delight in going places, and willfully try to find things to bitch and moan about so they can complain to "Higher up" just so they can get gift cards/discounts etc as compensation for their "Bad time".

I'm sure she is reaching for a free knitting needle or something....so what? She's the customer. Customers are not always right, but you were a little out of line there...a little bit. She's not only a customer, but a regular customer that shops at Jo-Ann's for hours...so, she gets more than a benefit of the doubt...give her a bone, it'll be a small token and a worthwhile investment in her good feelings, even if you both know she is getting one over on you. There is Michael's too, you know.

It might be a hassle, but it would make it easier for those needing them to actually get them. I can't count the # of times i have been in stores and seen someone walk in from the parking lot, plop down on one, and use it, while someone who just pulled up to the handicap spot, struggles to get into the store, can't as they are in use..

Yeah, again...I see it as a simple courtesy, when available. If someone is truly dependent on the scooter, they should have their own. First come, first serve, they can hog it all they want.

That was one of the suggestions given by higher ups..

Someone also said 'put in a bench or a few chairs' up front for those sorts of people to sit down on while they wait..

Wonderful idea...maybe some coffee and a some craft magazines while they wait...maybe a sales associate can come ask what they're looking for and upsell them in the meantime

Who knew Jo-Ann's had so much drama? I thought people go there, go in go out to get something specific, not spend all day there, but what do I know?

Rainmaker
10-14-2015, 04:56 PM
Doesn't Disney World have their scooters equipped with those backup horns that automatically sound off when the scooters are being reversed?

Yeah. But, It was nearly impossible to hear with that Damn Moog Synthesizer blasting the " Baroque Hoedown" at 200+ Decibles over the loudspeakers during the Frozen Electric Night Parade...

garhkal
10-15-2015, 03:55 AM
Again...what I read here is "Regular customer"

And? From what i remember, the MOD said the lady on the crutches is also a regular customer, who's she has known for more than 3 years.

Well, sure...but as a grown man, don't you find it just a little embarrassing that they don't think you can handle yourself in these situations?

I think its more they would rather not create another incident that garners any bad publicity..

I'm sure she is reaching for a free knitting needle or something....so what? She's the customer. Customers are not always right, but you were a little out of line there...a little bit. She's not only a customer, but a regular customer that shops at Jo-Ann's for hours...so, she gets more than a benefit of the doubt...give her a bone, it'll be a small token and a worthwhile investment in her good feelings, even if you both know she is getting one over on you. There is Michael's too, you know.

So what? I am sorry, but scammers like that when NOT stopped just continue scamming people.

Yeah, again...I see it as a simple courtesy, when available. If someone is truly dependent on the scooter, they should have their own. First come, first serve, they can hog it all they want.

IMO the simpler solution is to remove it.. If they want one, just have them bring in their own.

Wonderful idea...maybe some coffee and a some craft magazines while they wait...maybe a sales associate can come ask what they're looking for and upsell them in the meantime

Who knew Jo-Ann's had so much drama? I thought people go there, go in go out to get something specific, not spend all day there, but what do I know?

You'd be surprised how long some have been in the store..

Absinthe Anecdote
10-15-2015, 01:01 PM
I think its more they would rather not create another incident that garners any bad publicity..

Which is why they don't want you trying to handle customer service issues. Do your guard job and just stand there to act as a deterrent and stop being a busy body.

So what? I am sorry, but scammers like that when NOT stopped just continue scamming people

Is it your job to investigate people trying to get coupons from customer service?

If you want to be a cop, try getting hired by a police department. Until then, you aren't a cop, stop pretending you are one.

IMO the simpler solution is to remove it.. If they want one, just have them bring in their own.

Maybe you should confiscate it and make it your "police vehicle."

Better yet, just chill out and don't get involved with that aspect of the store.

Bos Mutus
10-15-2015, 01:14 PM
And? From what i remember, the MOD said the lady on the crutches is also a regular customer, who's she has known for more than 3 years.

...but, she wasn't there first.

i get that....just suggesting from a personal improvement standpoint, you might ask yourself 'why can a manager handle this, but not me?'

So what? I am sorry, but scammers like that when NOT stopped just continue scamming people.

she may be overdoing it, but you were outta line

the simpler solution is to remove it.. If they want one, just have them bring in their own.

simpler in that you don't have to handle any more high stress situations....but doesn't improve the shopping experience for the customer.

You'd be surprised how long some have been in the store..

Bos Mutus
10-15-2015, 01:17 PM
Maybe you should confiscate it and make it your "police vehicle."

There goes my coffee!

Rainmaker
10-15-2015, 01:44 PM
Absinthe Anecdote. I know you think that you

Anybody else Having problems editing posts? Is the new update buggy?
Or did the NSA launch a Stuxnet Trojan horse worm onto Rainmaker's tablet lass night, when he was researching
The White Dragon Society's covert turf war with the Kazarian-Babylonian Mafia?

Absinthe Anecdote
10-15-2015, 01:52 PM
@absinthe antidote. I know you think that ....

I think he has a horribly boring dead end job. If he has to work there, he should do as little as possible, which isn't hard for a security guard.

If he wants some excitement, he should try talking one of the more attractive store clerks into having a tryst with him.

The last thing he should be doing is trying to mete out justice in the usage of the store's mobility scooters, or launching investigations into counterfeit coupons.

It is none of his business.

UncaRastus
10-15-2015, 01:55 PM
Here's the solution for Garhkal to get about doing his bidness, while looking very suave, debonaire, and sophisticated. And also it would look professional.

Rainmaker
10-15-2015, 01:58 PM
Absinthe Anecdote. I know you think that you’re trying to be funny. But, you’re not and this is not a joking matter. As a former Intelligence Officer/ Homeland Security Expert, you of all people should know, that Our On-site security guards are our Nation’s first line of defense in the long war against the Islamo Fascist Jihadist Terrorist Network.

Thanks to the Modern day Gutenberg press, It’s become common knowledge that the Khazarian Mafia Cabal has seized control of Global fabric distribution industry.
Joann Fabrics could be the “ground zero” for this sinister threat.

In a perfect world, we’d have the highly professional Behavior Detection analysts of the TSA on site (to keep us safe).

It hasn’t been announced yet. But, insiders say, that the Marines have seized control of the Federal Reserve board of Directors and Nationalized the Banks, so the huge Orwellian style police state we all love, is no longer going to be possible to maintain (in this resource constrained environment we now live in).

It’s a real paradigm shift, I know……But, (unfortunately) We’re all just going to have to learn to do “more with less”.
BT//

garhkal
Rainmaker not sure about the rules in your state. But, if possible recommend Garhkal carry a .357 snub-nosed revolver (unholstered) in your pocket or butthole, just to be on the safe side. Nomsayin? Rainmaker Out//

Absinthe Anecdote
10-15-2015, 02:12 PM
Here's the solution for Garhkal to get about doing his bidness, while looking very suave, debonaire, and sophisticated. And also it would look professional.

I think I just might build a fleet of security drones for use in retail stores.

I'm sure that I can program them with enough intelligence to perform the duties of a fabric store security guard.

Plus, I can guarantee that they'd never pester customers over mobility scooters or overstep their authority.

Sorry garhkal, you are out of a job soon.

My security robots will be replacing you.

UncaRastus
10-15-2015, 02:51 PM
Absinthe Anecdote,

I have heard from a confidential source, that 'undocumented aliens' are soon to replace all security guards within this country.

For when we call the differing companies to get help with our computers, soon everybody in the USA must learn to speak Hindi, just as we have to learn to speak Spanish.

We all need Hindi in our toolchest of the mind, to actually understand what these nice IT people are speaking about. If we don't learn to speak Spanish, soon we will all be handcuffed for snickering at the guard's sombrero, without being able to talk the guard out of beating us.

Be sensitive, is what I am trying to stress here. How would you feel, if you had to spit shine your Tijuana Retreads every day, to comply with the securidad company's rules? I would think, pretty much exhausted and a bit put out.

Ese, vato. It is what it is.

I lived in Las Playas de Rosarito, in Baja California, for two years. My Espanol is pretty fragmented, but... just say "No tasio, hermano! Yo loveio tacos!"

;)

Absinthe Anecdote
10-15-2015, 03:26 PM
Absinthe Anecdote,

I have heard from a confidential source, that 'undocumented aliens'* are soon to replace all security guards within this country.

For when we call the differing companies to get help with our computers, soon everybody in the USA must learn to speak Hindi, just as we have to learn to speak Spanish.

We all need Hindi in our toolchest of the mind, to actually understand what these nice IT people are speaking about. If we don't learn to speak Spanish, soon we will all be handcuffed for snickering at the guard's sombrero, without being able to talk the guard out of beating us.

Be sensitive, is what I am trying to stress here. How would you feel, if you had to spit shine your Tijuana Taxis** every day, to comply with the securidad company's rules? I would think, pretty much exhausted and a bit put out.

Ese, vato. It is what it is.

My robots are what you have to worry about, and not people from Central America and India.

My robots will make illegal immigrants obsolete, since they will be taking all the low-skill, low-wage jobs.

I'll have Laundroids doing your laundry, and Lawndroids cutting your grass. I'll have Burgerbots working at McDonalds and flame broiling Whoppers at Burger King.

I'll program my bots to replace cops and the even the army. I'll even make a special line of robotic Jihadis and future wars will be fought in a battle-bot arena.

Then they will start taking better jobs. I'll program them to be accountants, stock brokers, bankers and even politicians.

There will be no more Trumps, Clintons, or Bushes. My Politidroids will efficiently manage Washington with robotic precision.

No silly human emotions to gum up the works. You'll get what you like, and like what you get.

One day in the future, when your great grandchildren ask what started this robot utopia.

One of my robotic baby sitters will tell them the story of garhkal being a dick to a fat lady on a mobility scooter.

UncaRastus
10-15-2015, 03:53 PM
Mexico is considered to be part of north America. At least it was, back when I was in grammar school. I bet the Mexicans will be glad that they aren't included.

Absinthe Anecdote
10-15-2015, 04:39 PM
Mexico is considered to be part of north America. At least it was, back when I was in grammar school. I bet the Mexicans will be glad that they aren't included.

Fewer Mexicans illegally immigrate to the U.S. than people from Central American countries. That has been the trend for about 10 years.

If you had one of my robot assistants, they could have told you that.

Rainmaker
10-15-2015, 05:53 PM
Fewer Mexicans illegally immigrate to the U.S. than people from Central American countries. That has been the trend for about 10 years.

If you had one of my robot assistants, they could have told you that.

The promise is always that technology will make life easier. By now, We were supposed to have been living the Jetson's type lifestyle. Working maybe 20 hours a week tops. Instead we're slaving away like dogs working more hours than ever.

Because, The reality is that the Owners can't have us proles sitting around with idle hands, so we'll either be made into slaves to service your fucking robots or they'll kill us off.

Most people don't realize that the battle of Armegeddon is already underway in the currency markets and in cyberspace.

But, fortunately we are witnessing a sea change and Rainmaker's vision is different from yours.....

Years from now (after the dust clears and the troubles are over), Rainmaker's as of yet unborn Grandchildren will say to him "Tell us the story about "The Donald" Grandpa" and ask "What did he do?"....And with a knowing look and a tear in his eye....Old man Rainmaker will say......" Son, He made America Great Again"

Trump 2016!

UncaRastus
10-15-2015, 07:42 PM
Absinthe Anecdote,

All of the robots will be made in Mexico.

Rainmaker,

That sounds so crazy, it just might work!

garhkal
10-15-2015, 08:14 PM
Which is why they don't want you trying to handle customer service issues. Do your guard job and just stand there to act as a deterrent and stop being a busy body.

Other than this one issue, they have seemed to be very interested (and thankful) in having me handle customer service issues, such as walking customers to where they need to go, answering questions etc..

she may be overdoing it, but you were outta line

Bos. Exactly how was i out of line asking a customer how much longer she might be using the device?

The last thing he should be doing is trying to mete out justice in the usage of the store's mobility scooters, or launching investigations into counterfeit coupons.

AA, exactly how was i "metting out justice" by simply asking a customer a simple question??

Absinthe Anecdote
10-15-2015, 08:45 PM
The promise is always that technology will make life easier. By now, We were supposed to be living the Jetson's type lifestyle. Working maybe 20 hours a week tops. Instead we're slaving away like dogs working more hours than ever.

Because, The reality is that the Owners can't have us proles sitting around with idle hands, so we'll either be made into slaves to service your fucking robots or they'll kill us off.

Most people don't realize that the battle of Armeggeddon is already underway in the currency markets and in cyberspace.

But, fortunately we are witnessing a sea change and Rainmaker's vision is different from yours.....Years from now (after the dust clears and the troubles are over), Rainmaker's as of yet unborn Grandchildren will say to him "Tell us the story about "The Donald" Grandpa" and ask "What did he do?"....And with a knowing look and a tear in his eye....Old man Rainmaker will say......" Son, He made America Great Again"

Trump 2016!

Technology has made life easier.

Make up your mind, are we working like slaves are being lazy slobs living off government checks?

You've complained dozens of times about people being distracted by TV, Instagram and using EBT cards to get fat.

Don't bother answering, you will be made obsolete too. I'm replacing you with a paranoid-droid.

I envision it as a stationary droid with no chat capability that can be used as a beehive or a nesting box for opossums.

Absinthe Anecdote
10-15-2015, 08:46 PM
Other than this one issue, they have seemed to be very interested (and thankful) in having me handle customer service issues, such as walking customers to where they need to go, answering questions etc..

Bos. Exactly how was i out of line asking a customer how much longer she might be using the device?

AA, exactly how was i "metting out justice" by simply asking a customer a simple question??

Dude, find another job. You've already told us that your security company is screwing you out of overtime, and if you can't guard a fabric store without causing problems, you need to move on to another job.

That's right, you caused a problem, you sure didn't solve a problem or help anyone by jumping into the middle of that.

From what you've described, every party involved came away unhappy because of your actions.

Fat lady 1 = unhappy

Fat lady 2 = unhappy

Corporate = unhappy

Store management = unhappy

garhkal = unhappy

Why?

Because you tried to mete out justice to someone you called a "hog of the mobility scooter."

LogDog
10-15-2015, 08:53 PM
After this incident, it should be obvious that your job is a security guard so you should leave customer problems to the stores' staff. You can still be pleasant to customers and direct their questions to the manager or staff.

Bos Mutus
10-15-2015, 09:03 PM

It's just inappropriate. She was shopping, she had the cart, let her be. If another customer asked her, that's between them...but as a quasi-employee of the store you shouldn't be hassling customers for them to hurry up. Whether or not you actually said "hurry up" doesn't matter...when you go up to someone and say, "Hey, how much longer are you gonna use that?"...while "only a question" by the letter of it, it certainly carries with it the implication that you are asking them to hurry up with it.

"how much longer are you gonna be in the bathroom?"

"are you gonna finish that?"

"how many times do I have to ask?"

LogDog
10-16-2015, 12:28 AM
It's just inappropriate. She was shopping, she had the cart, let her be. If another customer asked her, that's between them...but as a quasi-employee of the store you shouldn't be hassling customers for them to hurry up. Whether or not you actually said "hurry up" doesn't matter...when you go up to someone and say, "Hey, how much longer are you gonna use that?"...while "only a question" by the letter of it, it certainly carries with it the implication that you are asking them to hurry up with it.

"how much longer are you gonna be in the bathroom?"

"are you gonna finish that?"

"how many times do I have to ask?"
I agree with what you said and I'd add that as a security guard, presumably wearing a uniform, he would come across as an authority figure. A uniformed security guard asking a person if they're about finished using the scooter could be perceived as intimidating them to hurry up. This was something that should have been left up to the store staff.

Rusty Jones
10-16-2015, 12:09 PM
Should stores HAVE them?

If stores are not legally required to provide mobility scooters then, whether or not a store should provide them, is up to store management.

As far as asking to see someone's handicapped card in order to use the scooter... that could put you in violation of HIPAA. When I drove taxis, I was allowed to ask customers bringing a dog if it was a working dog; but I wasn't allowed to ask what their medical condition was or to show proof that it was a working dog as a condition of providing service to that customer. It looks like asking for that card in order to let someone use a mobility scooter would be the same thing.

Parking spaces are different, because they're enforced by law enforcement and not the store.

Rainmaker
10-16-2015, 01:57 PM
garhkal The bottom line is this.... By Politely asking this Inconsiderate, Disability scamming, Fat tub of Lard, how much longer she was going to be trolling around in the store's "scooter", you have unknowingly committed a "Micro-Aggression".

This is common for those suffering with your condition (White privilege)

You must immediately report to the nearest chemical castration center for your treatment.

Absinthe Anecdote
10-16-2015, 02:19 PM
garhkal The bottom line is this.... By Politely asking this Inconsiderate, Disability scamming, Fat tub of Lard, how much longer she was going to be trolling around in the store's "scooter", you have unknowingly committed a "Micro-Aggression".

This is common for those suffering with your condition (White privilege)

You must immediately report to the nearest chemical castration center for your treatment.

It is funny that you are accusing others of being hyper-sensitive and paranoid about being discriminated against, while being hyper-sensitive and paranoid about it too.

UncaRastus
10-16-2015, 02:28 PM
Rainmaker, I have run out of the 'chemical agent', and I have also run out of the castrating bands. Doing that old school, with a knife and a bit of raw alcohol* is the last step, other than letting a badger doing the work.

You know that I already have patients complaining. It seems that the line, "Shut your head! You are such a baby," is no longer politically correct.

I can only do what I can do.

And it would help if you sent on the government money for me doing this. I don't want to use my stock of moonshine for this surgical procedure.

So, please. Put Garhkal on the bottom of the list. He is one of us, you know!

* As taught to me by my father. A mean dog, a knife doing the work, and a slap of raw alcohol. Worked wonders in dog training!

UncaRastus
10-16-2015, 02:35 PM
Absinthe Anecdote,

Put Rainmaker on the list for a prefrontal lobotomy.

I just got a new surgical kit, which has in it the ever popular ice pick. So, this should turn out nicely.

Rainmaker! Why don't you come on over? We'll sit around and talk about conspiracies! And don't mind the straps on the recliner. They are there for when there are earthquakes.

My house is the one with the sign 'Castrations and Prefrontal Lobotomies Clinic' in front of it.

See you soon!

Bos Mutus
10-16-2015, 02:49 PM
a bit of raw alcohol*!

Prefrontal Lobotomies Clinic' !

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"~Fred Allen

Rainmaker
10-16-2015, 04:05 PM
It is funny that you are accusing others of being hyper-sensitive and paranoid about being discriminated against, while being hyper-sensitive and paranoid about it too.

You guys are right. garhkal shouldn't bother trying to help anyone out anymore or do anything whatsoever that's not in his job description.

In-fact, He should just take your advice and quit his job and hop on the disability train himself.....Hell, Why bother working in the mall all day, when you can just hover around the Duncan Doughnuts in your "free mobility scooter" instead?

Does anyone know if Joann's Fabrics takes SNAP?

There once was a time when people would be ashamed to participate in such sloth. Then the Commie traitors turned the concept of Protestant Work Ethic into the concept of White Privilege.

Absinthe Anecdote
10-16-2015, 04:29 PM
You guys are right. garhkal shouldn't bother trying to help anyone out anymore or do anything whatsoever that's not in his job description.

He shouldn't bother fat person 1 in order to help fat person 2.

He sure as hell shouldn't get involved in trying to change store policy or customer service issues as a contracted security guard.

Rusty Jones
10-16-2015, 04:49 PM
Does anyone know if Joann's Fabrics takes SNAP?

There once was a time when people would be ashamed to participate in such sloth. Then the Commie traitors turned the concept of Protestant Work Ethic into the concept of White Privilege.

"Protestant Work Ethic?" Yep, still up to the same ol' shit. With the exception of the government employees and the self-employed, we all work for peanuts to make rich people richer. We can call people who don't whatever we want and brag about our situation, but the joke is on us.

Rainmaker
10-16-2015, 04:58 PM
With the exception of the government employees

Maybe Rainmaker missed something..... When did government employees start working?

Rusty Jones
10-16-2015, 05:00 PM
Maybe Rainmaker missed something..... When did government employees start working?

At least you don't deny what I'm saying...

Rainmaker
10-16-2015, 05:08 PM
At least you don't deny what I'm saying...

Yes, Rainmaker agrees with you..... we have shipped our labor abroad in search of profit and now we have no economic base for growth, which is why we have so much government (to service the welfare state).

And you can't deny that all the great inventive societies are in temperate zones with multiple seasons.

garhkal
10-16-2015, 07:44 PM
If stores are not legally required to provide mobility scooters then, whether or not a store should provide them, is up to store management.

As far as asking to see someone's handicapped card in order to use the scooter... that could put you in violation of HIPAA. When I drove taxis, I was allowed to ask customers bringing a dog if it was a working dog; but I wasn't allowed to ask what their medical condition was or to show proof that it was a working dog as a condition of providing service to that customer. It looks like asking for that card in order to let someone use a mobility scooter would be the same thing.

Parking spaces are different, because they're enforced by law enforcement and not the store.

So you could ask if it's a working dog/service dog(animal), but not for actual proof it IS One? That is imo Stupid as anyone can lie and say their animal is a 'service animal'..

Bos Mutus
10-16-2015, 08:03 PM
So you could ask if it's a working dog/service dog(animal), but not for actual proof it IS One? That is imo Stupid as anyone can lie and say their animal is a 'service animal'..

Yes, it is unfortunate that some people will lie about their "service animal." Legit service animals are awesome and it's a shame that people bring a bad name upon the good ones by abusing the restrictions in the rules.

From the ADA guidelines:

[quote]
When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions:
(1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and
(2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform.
Staff cannot ask about the person

Bos Mutus
10-16-2015, 08:09 PM
Not sure why my previous post gets cut off...even edited it and it cuts off the same:

When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited
inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a
service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or
task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the
person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special
identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that
the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.

Rainmaker
10-16-2015, 08:22 PM
Not sure why my previous post gets cut off...even edited it and it cuts off the same:

Seems you've exceeded the 5000 words per post limit, that they had to impose (after you referenced the entire encyclopedia Britannica in full text in one thread).

Absinthe Anecdote
10-16-2015, 10:00 PM

That's the way the cookie crumbles in the big city, Mannix.

When you are patrolling the mean aisles of Jo Ann's Fabrics you've got to keep on your toes for disability scammers.

I'm sure you've seen it all, thread snatchers, bobbin droppers, thimble flippers. It's enough to make a streetwise guard's blood run cold.

garhkal
10-16-2015, 10:59 PM
Yes, it is unfortunate that some people will lie about their "service animal." Legit service animals are awesome and it's a shame that people bring a bad name upon the good ones by abusing the restrictions in the rules.

Strange my reply also got cropped.
I find it stupid that since service animals SHOULD be certified, that you can't ask for proof OF that certification..

Bos Mutus
10-17-2015, 12:22 AM
Strange my reply also got cropped.
I find it stupid that since service animals SHOULD be certified, that you can't ask for proof OF that certification..

Seems strange to me...wonder what the reason is? Maybe the cert has private information regarding the person's disability?

I dunno...service dogs are a wonderful thing, but like every good thing, it's been abused.

We just have to be careful that in our zeal to catch the abusers, we don't restrict the rights of the rest of us.

TJMAC77SP
10-17-2015, 12:44 AM
That's the way the cookie crumbles in the big city, Mannix.................

Mannix...........a blast from the past

Bos Mutus
10-17-2015, 03:02 AM

Wow...I didn't even catch that...that. Is going wayyyyyyy back

Absinthe Anecdote
10-17-2015, 04:08 AM

You are creating an imaginary problem.

I live in a damn big metropolitan area, and I also travel to NYC frequently. I can't remember the last time I saw someone with a service dog.

Where are all these people with fake service dogs?

You just want another little thing to have power over the old fat women who shop on your beat at the fabric store.

I know it is boring in there, Mannix, but aren't you going overboard?

Absinthe Anecdote
10-17-2015, 04:33 AM

Mannix drove a Dodge Dart, and also a 1972 Cuda. In the last season there is a great car chase scene where Mannix uses his Cuda to run down a villain who attempts a getaway on a mobility scooter.

Mannix forces the mobility scooter off the road and it goes over a cliff and explodes in a massive fireball at the bottom of a canyon.

garhkal
10-17-2015, 05:46 AM
We just have to be careful that in our zeal to catch the abusers, we don't restrict the rights of the rest of us.

True.. But often it seems that so we don't restrict the rights of those who truly need stuff, we Don't do enough to track down and crimp on those abusing it..

Absinthe Anecdote
10-17-2015, 06:53 AM
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/reviews/190/1344548270_1.jpg

Mannix was a true crime fighter, he was a guy's guy, and a man's man. He also had a way with the ladies at the fabric store who made him a nifty sport coat out of leftover plaid.

The cops liked him personally and put up with him professionally. But he was never on their payroll. He was on the payroll of a security firm that screwed him out of overtime, but off-duty Mannix was his own man doing his own job.

Be it at a smoky cocktail lounge, a bowling alley or a rowdy bingo parlor, Mannix was ready to pounce on scammers of all types.

Miscreants with sham service dogs knew better than to run their hustle around Mannix.

I once asked Mannix exactly what these con artists had to gain by going around town with uncertified service dogs, Mannix never said anything.

He calmly finished his drink and walked out of the bar. He was on the trail of a fat lady who tried to fleece the fabric store out of a VIP coupon.

UncaRastus
10-17-2015, 03:30 PM
From what I seem to recall, some guy has this flock of ducks that make him happy. Therefor, they are service ducks. Next time you hear about some guy and a flock of ducks walking into a bar, don't dismiss this as a joke.

You wouldn't want to have an unhappy man in a bar, do y'all?

Happy, happy, joy, joy! Give me a bottle of whisky, kind barkeep! And a bowl of bugs, for my service ducks!

Bos Mutus
10-17-2015, 10:05 PM
From what I seem to recall, some guy has this flock of ducks that make him happy. Therefor, they are service ducks. Next time you hear about some guy and a flock of ducks walking into a bar, don't dismiss this as a joke.

You wouldn't want to have an unhappy man in a bar, do y'all?

Happy, happy, joy, joy! Give me a bottle of whisky, kind barkeep! And a bowl of bugs, for my service ducks!

According to the ADA, only dogs may be service animals...your state may vary.

garhkal
10-18-2015, 02:15 AM
According to the ADA, only dogs may be service animals...your state may vary.

But he's right. That happened here earlier this year in Ohio..

Bos Mutus
10-18-2015, 04:41 AM
But he's right. That happened here earlier this year in Ohio..

What happened? A guy with service ducks?

Bos Mutus
10-18-2015, 04:47 AM
Where are all these people with fake service dogs?

?

I've seen a ton, actually. There is a thriving Internet industry to get your dog certified as a service animal....complete with official looking vest. They are everywhere here and businesses are afraid to inquire for fear of not going about it exactly right and getting sued.

you see a 'service animal' that is pulling, jumping and begging...you know good and well it's just a poorly trained pet, but the risk of getting dragged into court is too great.

like a lot of things now...I see a 'service dog' in the store, I assume it's bullshit because there are 100 BS ones to every legit one....but those legit dogs are amazing

Absinthe Anecdote
10-18-2015, 06:28 AM
I've seen a ton, actually. There is a thriving Internet industry to get your dog certified as a service animal....complete with official looking vest. They are everywhere here and businesses are afraid to inquire for fear of not going about it exactly right and getting sued.

you see a 'service animal' that is pulling, jumping and begging...you know good and well it's just a poorly trained pet, but the risk of getting dragged into court is too great.

like a lot of things now...I see a 'service dog' in the store, I assume it's bullshit because there are 100 BS ones to every legit one....but those legit dogs are amazing

Oh my!

Sounds like we have a real problem.

Better get Bookman the library cop from Seinfeld to help you and Mannix.

Maybe you guys can join forces to create a special task force?

I know Mannix prefers to work alone, but maybe you can convince him to work with you and Bookman.

garhkal
10-19-2015, 05:18 AM
What happened? A guy with service ducks?

Yup. An Iraq war vet is embroialed in a dispute with his county/township, cause he is using ducks as his 'service animals' to help with PTSD..

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2015/02/05/coshocton-ohio-former-ohio-guardsman-fights-to-keep-pet-ducks-to-help-with-ptsd.html

Rusty Jones
10-19-2015, 11:40 AM
That's why, when I drove taxis, I simply let people bring their dogs if they wanted to. With the questions that you are allowed to ask, they're going to lie anyway and you can't ask for proof. It's definitely a... "pick your battles" scenario.

UncaRastus
10-19-2015, 03:38 PM
I wonder what happens if one goes further and asks more questions? Do the dogs/ducks get a free bite?

What if the human is a service animal for a rescued dog, trying to heal the canine's mind from the bad previous owner's mistreatment?

I could see elderly people getting their dogs certified for helping them with depression, if their mate has died.

Either way. Service dog or service human. Because human/dog mates do die. Loneliness can be crippling.

How about cat hoarders? Their collection of cats would mean that they wouldn't be collecting people. Would you want to be kept in a cage?

I happen to have some groundhogs that live on my property which I will not trap or kill, because they are friendly, and lived here before I moved in. They make me laugh. I can't think of anything to qualify them as service whistlepigs, but if ever someone tries to eradicate them, I will claim them as to be being the animals that tell me if spring is coming sooner or later.

On Phyllis and family being friendly, they come up to within 5 feet, looking to see if I am going to be feeding them. Phyllis, I am pretty sure that she has gone on to groundhog heaven, but the family keeps on producing cubs, so it's not like I am ever going to run out of newbies to admire, and to tell the new Phyllis how cute they are.

Oh! Yeah! How about people that really feel that they were born at the wrong time? I think that guys that want to be cowboys should be allowed to say that their horse keep them from lighting up the nearest saloon, although parking horses can be a problem. Tie them off to parking meters? We would have to remind the 'cowboys' not to leave their horse parked for too long, or their horse would be towed off.

And people that hallucinate because of a problem in their minds? Make sure that you have imaginary food bowls, water bowls, a watering trough, and a bale of hay, or you might make their problem even worse that it is.

I have to go now. The weather is getting cold at nights, and I have to drop off some blankets and jackets by the underground manor of Phyllis and Company. And some corn nuts.

Phyllis says "Hi, wassup," to all of you, by the way.

Bos Mutus
10-19-2015, 07:59 PM
I wonder what happens if one goes further and asks more questions? Do the dogs/ducks get a free bite?

Staff are not required to provide care or food for a service animal.

Oh! Yeah! How about people that really feel that they were born at the wrong time? I think that guys that want to be cowboys should be allowed to say that their horse keep them from lighting up the nearest saloon, although parking horses can be a problem. Tie them off to parking meters? We would have to remind the 'cowboys' not to leave their horse parked for too long, or their horse would be towed off.

Maybe if you're a small cowboy

[quote]
[B]In addition to the provisions about service dogs, the
Department

Bos Mutus
10-19-2015, 08:01 PM
Cropped again...

In addition to the provisions about service dogs, the
Department’s revised ADA regulations have a new, separate provision
about miniature horses that have been individually trained to do work
or perform tasks for people with disabilities. (Miniature
horses generally range in height from 24 inches to 34 inches measured
to the shoulders and generally weigh between 70 and 100 pounds.)
Entities covered by the ADA must modify their policies to permit
miniature horses where reasonable. The regulations set out four
assessment factors to assist entities in determining whether miniature
horses can be accommodated in their facility. The assessment factors are
(1) whether the miniature horse is housebroken; (2) whether the
miniature horse is under the owner’s control; (3) whether the facility
can accommodate the miniature horse’s type, size, and weight; and (4)
whether the miniature horse’s presence will not compromise legitimate
safety requirements necessary for safe operation of the facility.

More answers at: http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Rainmaker
10-19-2015, 08:34 PM
cropped again...

CONTROL RADIO TRAFFIC DURiNG THE MINIMIZE.....ACP 121.....GNOMESAYIN??......

UncaRastus
10-19-2015, 08:41 PM
Back when, after I retired, my cousin and I decided to take our horses into a bar, in Idaho. The sheriff of that town was not all that enthralled with our horses being in that bar. He did let them stay for a short while, then he told us not to take them back in. It was not so much the thought of a horse in a bar, but more to the fact that the bar was old, and he was afraid that the horse would break through the floor and end up in the basement.

I asked him if we could take one of our cows into the bar, and he kind of gave me the 'cowboys belong outside with their cows, you idiot' look. Since I really didn't want to ride outside of town to fetch a cow, I let that thought go.

People are just too picky, now. More picky than back then. But not that much.

Rainmaker
10-19-2015, 08:47 PM
Back when, after I retired, my cousin and I decided to take our horses into a bar, in Idaho. The sheriff of that town was not all that enthralled with our horses being in that bar. He did let them stay for a short while, then he told us not to take them back in. It was not so much the thought of a horse in a bar, but more to the fact that the bar was old, and he was afraid that the horse would break through the floor and end up in the basement.

I asked him if we could take one of our cows into the bar, and he kind of gave me the 'cowboys belong outside with their cows, you idiot' look. Since I really didn't want to ride outside of town to fetch a cow, I let that thought go.

People are just too picky, now. More picky than back then. But not that much.

So, a duck walks into a bar and orders a cream dementhe...

UncaRastus
10-19-2015, 08:50 PM
Tell the duck to pour it on Yossi, my horses back. Then Yossi will say, "It's on me!"

Bos Mutus
10-19-2015, 09:12 PM
[quote]
[h=2]Man in wheelchair cited for DUI at Kroger[SIZE=2]CONYERS

UncaRastus
10-19-2015, 09:35 PM
It does appear that the man drove his motorized wheelchair over some plants, while being observed by a police officer. He stated that he was on valium and had done a pint of alcohol. He had a warrant out for non appearance on a count of public drunkenness. He was taken to a medical center for treatment for high alcohol content. He has been cited this time, for public drunkenness and combination of other drugs.

http://www.rockdalecitizen.com/news/2015/oct/19/man-in-wheelchair-cited-for-dui-at-kroger/