PDA

View Full Version : Lawyer: Officer recommends no jail for Bergdahl

UncaRastus
10-11-2015, 04:05 PM
http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/crime/2015/10/10/lawyer-officer-recommends-no-jail-bergdahl/73726990/

'The officer in charge of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl's Article 32 hearing has recommended that the soldier accused of desertion avoid jail time for his actions, according to Bergdahl's civil defense attorney.

Lt. Col. Mark Visger's report to Gen. Robert Abrams, the head of Army Forces Command who is in charge of the case, also will advise that the matter be decided at a special court-martial, lawyer Eugene Fidell told Army Times on Saturday, confirming reports in other media outlets. Soldiers facing special courts-martial can receive no more than a year in jail and no worse than a bad-conduct discharge; punishments regarding hard labor and pay forfeiture have similar restrictions.

Visger also recommended Bergdahl not face a punitive discharge for his alleged actions, Fidell said. A memo from Bergdahl's defense team to Visger regarding the report — released late Friday by Fidell to media members — said the officer's recommendations didn't go far enough and requested nonjudicial punishment, better known as an Article 15, instead of a special court-martial.'*

* Excerpted from The Military Times

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts?

MikeKerriii
10-11-2015, 10:18 PM
http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/crime/2015/10/10/lawyer-officer-recommends-no-jail-bergdahl/73726990/

'The officer in charge of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl's Article 32 hearing has recommended that the soldier accused of desertion avoid jail time for his actions, according to Bergdahl's civil defense attorney.

Lt. Col. Mark Visger's report to Gen. Robert Abrams, the head of Army Forces Command who is in charge of the case, also will advise that the matter be decided at a special court-martial, lawyer Eugene Fidell told Army Times on Saturday, confirming reports in other media outlets. Soldiers facing special courts-martial can receive no more than a year in jail and no worse than a bad-conduct discharge; punishments regarding hard labor and pay forfeiture have similar restrictions.

Visger also recommended Bergdahl not face a punitive discharge for his alleged actions, Fidell said. A memo from Bergdahl's defense team to Visger regarding the report — released late Friday by Fidell to media members — said the officer's recommendations didn't go far enough and requested nonjudicial punishment, better known as an Article 15, instead of a special court-martial.'*

* Excerpted from The Military Times

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts?
I wonder how this will sit with the politicians advocating that he receive the death penalty?

garhkal
10-12-2015, 04:59 AM
Knew this was coming. Obama can't afford to have bo face time in jail, after all he went through getting bo's release.

Absinthe Anecdote
10-12-2015, 01:07 PM
Knew this was coming. Obama can't afford to have bo face time in jail, after all he went through getting bo's release.

You must think the president is a very busy guy if you believe he is getting involved in court martials.

Is he like Santa Claus? Does he have some magic that comes from an old silk hat he found?

Or is he just on hundreds of video-tele conferences all day?

UncaRastus
10-12-2015, 02:58 PM
Absinthe Anecdote,

Yes.

efmbman
10-12-2015, 04:07 PM
You must think the president is a very busy guy if you believe he is getting involved in court martials.

Courts Martial. The "Martial" is the type of court - descriptive and is not plural. There is more than one court - that can be plural.

MikeKerriii
10-12-2015, 05:59 PM

Is there any evidence to support your allegation criminal corruption and participation in a massive criminal conspiracy against serving officers or just you hatred of the President? Or perhaps your tinfoil is leaking?

TJMAC77SP
10-12-2015, 06:34 PM
Is there any evidence to support your allegation criminal corruption and participation in a massive criminal conspiracy against serving officers or just you hatred of the President? Or perhaps your tinfoil is leaking?

I know this is a pointless question but do you see any irony in your post? Any irony? A little morsel of irony?

Bos Mutus
10-12-2015, 07:12 PM

Absinthe Anecdote,

Yes.

Involvement by the POTUS would be Unlawful Command Influence.

MikeKerriii
10-12-2015, 07:42 PM
I know this is a pointless question but do you see any irony in your post? Any irony? A little morsel of irony?

None at all. Don't you have anything better top do that kibitz and troll? Such as stating what your opinion is on the subject we are talking about?

TJMAC77SP
10-12-2015, 08:37 PM
None at all. Don't you have anything better top do that kibitz and troll? Such as stating what your opinion is on the subject we are talking about?

My opinion is that my asking the question was pointless and it was. Not sure you are using the word Kibbutz correctly (I am not offering any advice....you wouldn't take it in any case) and I am certainly not trolling unless your definition of that word includes pointing out massive hypocrisy.

In fairness though I would venture a guess that Obama has been fully appraised of the findings of the Art 32 officer and was before the news was released. As to pressure he (or his administration) exerted........I doubt it.

Absinthe Anecdote
10-13-2015, 03:03 AM
Courts Martial. The "Martial" is the type of court - descriptive and is not plural. There is more than one court - that can be plural.

Ouch!

Do you know how much getting corrected stings for a guy with an enormous ego like mine?

I'll get over it.

However, since you have your Associated Press Stylebook out, how about correcting a few of these cretins around here who butcher written English on a regular basis.

Especially the clowns who type in uppercase to indicate emphasis.

garhkal
10-13-2015, 04:40 AM

No evidence, just a suspicion.

Looking at it, i feel was it anyone else who had deserted, they would have ALREADY Had their hearing, but this has drug on for months now.
Combined with the rhetoric from some of those doing it, that "no one got injured or killed' looking for Bowe, even though his OWN squad mates testified to it several times, that there WERE casualties.

Absinthe Anecdote
10-13-2015, 06:03 AM

Former TV JAG, Catherine Bell agrees.

http://wallpoper.com/images/00/19/44/79/catherine-bell_00194479.jpg

Bos Mutus
10-13-2015, 02:30 PM

I like her

MikeKerriii
10-13-2015, 04:52 PM

Looking at it, i feel was it anyone else who had deserted, they would have ALREADY Had their hearing, but this has drug on for months now.
Combined with the rhetoric from some of those doing it, that "no one got injured or killed' looking for Bowe, even though his OWN squad mates testified to it several times, that there WERE casualties.
Nobody "testified' to anyone getting killed looking for him! some have stated it unofficially but nobody has said so officially, And most of those "testimonies" have been anonymous and therefor worthless.

You do realize that you are accusing multiple people of major felonies on nothing more than a feeling? It is best to have some rational reason to believe that a crime has been committed before you accuse anyone of committing that crime. Is there any reason but your hatred that leads to you to believe that so many members of the US army are blatant felons? Any hard evidence at all?

MikeKerriii
10-13-2015, 04:57 PM
My opinion is that my asking the question was pointless and it was. Not sure you are using the word Kibbutz correctly (I am not offering any advice....you wouldn't take it in any case) and I am certainly not trolling unless your definition of that word includes pointing out massive hypocrisy.

In fairness though I would venture a guess that Obama has been fully appraised of the findings of the Art 32 officer and was before the news was released. As to pressure he (or his administration) exerted........I doubt it.

I Use the word "Kibbitz" not Kibbutz a different word in a different language, and Kibitz is fits your posting style very well.

kibbitz

kib·bitz

(kĭb′ĭts)intr.v. Variant of kibitz (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/kibitz). (: to watch other people and make unwanted comments about what they are doing)

American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2011

Bos Mutus
10-13-2015, 05:15 PM

What do you mean by "anyone else"? Who exactly is Bergdahl other than, 'that guy who deserted?' This act is the only thing that has made him recognizable...what has made him treated differently than anyone else if they had done the same thing? He was just a run of the mill poor soldier before this.

Who do you imagine him to be that has gotten him special treatment?

Bos Mutus
10-13-2015, 05:42 PM
Don't you have anything better top do that kibitz and troll? Such as stating what your opinion is on the subject we are talking about?

Not sure you are using the word Kibbutz correctly (I am not offering any advice....you wouldn't take it in any case) .

I Use the word "Kibbitz" not Kibbutz a different word in a different language, and Kibitz is fits your posting style very well.

kibbitz

kib·bitz

(kĭb′ĭts)intr.v. Variant of kibitz (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/kibitz). (: to watch other people and make unwanted comments about what they are doing)

American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2011

Gotta call it as I see it...and that there was a pretty good smack-down.

4 points.

Absinthe Anecdote
10-13-2015, 05:53 PM
Gotta call it as I see it...and that there was a pretty good smack-down.

4 points.

Spreadsheet updated.

TJMAC77SP
10-13-2015, 05:58 PM

You do realize that you are accusing multiple people of major felonies on nothing more than a feeling? It is best to have some rational reason to believe that a crime has been committed before you accuse anyone of committing that crime. Is there any reason but your hatred that leads to you to believe that so many members of the US army are blatant felons? Any hard evidence at all?

Still no irony apparent to you ?!?!?!

TJMAC77SP
10-13-2015, 06:02 PM

kibbitz

kib·bitz

Sorry, I thought of the correct word and typed the incorrect (otherwise my comment about advice wouldn't have made sense.....did you miss that?)

I can very well imagine that my opinion of your posts is most unwanted by you. Of course using that as a measuring stick..........the same could be said about your posts by me.

Now, addressing my points.

1. I was correct in my statement that pointing out your hypocrisy would be utterly pointless

2. You have again demonstrated the parochial prejudice that your posts rail against. Hence the hypocrisy label.

TJMAC77SP
10-13-2015, 06:03 PM

That pic reminds me of a scene in the series when she was on the beach in Australia.............Holy Shyte !!!!!!!!!!!

Rainmaker
10-13-2015, 07:14 PM

Sultan Obama does not need to concern himself with rules and details. Those are for the little people to worry about.

Rainmaker
10-13-2015, 07:27 PM
You do realize that you are accusing multiple people of major felonies on nothing more than a feeling?

if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Let's not forget that the GAO already ruled that the executive branch broke the law (Anti-Deficiency Act) when they used a Million supplemental GWOT dollars, to trade 5 hardcore Taliban Prisoners out of GTMO for a worthless Piece of Shit, that just up and left his weapon, body armor, brothers in arms and walked off the COP in the middle of the night.

http://www.gao.gov/assets/670/665390.pdf

With lie after lie and fuck up after fuck up coming out of this administration..... It stands to reason that this pattern of incompetent jackassery is being done by design.

Rainmaker
10-13-2015, 08:00 PM
"Kibbitz"

http://www.jewish-languages.org/jewish-english-lexicon/words/258

TJ, No apology's necessary. We've all been there.....

You see folks @MikeKeriii speaks a very unique language. It's something kind of like English. But, it's not exactly English.

Rainmaker's not really sure what it is that Mike speaks. But, it's probably a mixture of English, Yiddish and Pig Latin.

It's very helpful to have copies of the Yiddish Dictionary, The Hasbara Handbook and The Helen Keller Kids Encyclopedia all at hand, whenever you dare to begin to try and make sense of one of Mike's posts.

MikeKerriii
10-13-2015, 11:44 PM
Still no irony apparent to you ?!?!?! Why are you surprised that I don't share your delusions?

I do find that you having problems with my statement and not Garkal;s hilarious though, you trying to justify a personal beef with me is pure comedic gold.

MikeKerriii
10-13-2015, 11:49 PM
"Kibbitz"

http://www.jewish-languages.org/jewish-english-lexicon/words/258

TJ, No apology's necessary. We've all been there.....

I give that rant a 0.5 out of 5 on a comedic scale and charitable a 2 for trolling artistry, You have to up you game, we all know you can do better than that!

TJMAC77SP
10-14-2015, 01:42 AM
Why are you surprised that I don't share your delusions?

I do find that you having problems with my statement and not Garkal;s hilarious though, you trying to justify a personal beef with me is pure comedic gold.

"Justifying personal beef"

No justifying necessary and certainly not personal.

Exactly what do you view in my posts as 'justifying'?

I do believe however that you find nothing at all funny (or 'comedic gold') about my posts. In that regard, I don't blame you

garhkal
10-14-2015, 05:05 AM

Tell that to the media.. Seems they don't need evidence to slander people. SO why should us common folk?