PDA

View Full Version : CO fired from her command

UncaRastus
09-24-2015, 08:02 PM
From the Navy Times:

Minesweeper CO fired amid misconduct investigation

A Bahrain-based minesweeper skipper was fired Thursday amid an investigation into “alleged misconduct” and “compliance with Navy programs,” the Naval Surface Force Pacific announced.

Mine Countermeasures Squadron 3 head Capt. Keith Knutsen fired Lt. Cmdr. Linda McCauley as commanding officer of the minesweeper Dextrous after “a loss of confidence in her ability to effectively lead and carry out her assigned duties,” the SURFPAC release said.

Knutsen’s deputy, Capt. Jeffrey Cronin, has temporarily assumed command of the Dextrous, the release said.

McCauley has been reassigned to MCMRON 5. Naval Criminal Investigative Service is the leading the investigation, said Lt. Rebecca Haggard, a SURFPAC spokeswoman, but Haggard would not elaborate on the nature of the misconduct.

McCauley, a Florida native, has served on the destroyers Fitzgerald and Momsen, and completed her department head tour as the chief engineer on the destroyer Roosevelt. McCauley graduated from the University of North Florida in 2002 and was commissioned two years later via Officer Candidate School, according to her official bio. She holds a master's degree from the Naval Postgraduate School.

McCauley did not respond immediately to an email seeking comment Thursday.

Doesn't the USN make public knowledge the reason why someone is fired? Or is that posted at a later date?

Comments?

Bos Mutus
09-24-2015, 08:19 PM
Doesn't the USN make public knowledge the reason why someone is fired? Or is that posted at a later date?

Comments?

If it's just a firing, then typically all that is said is the "loss of confidence in her ability to lead" generic statement.

If the investigation progresses to Captain's Mast or court martial, something like that...then the charges seem to be released...but when it's handled administratively, then nothing.

Mjölnir
09-24-2015, 11:01 PM

The Navy will formally announce a Relief for Cause of "senior" personnel (CO, XO, CMC / SEL, Program Managers (command equivalent.) As was said above, if the relief is administrative and no formal charges are filed, then generally ... No, the specific reasoning reason is not made public. If there is a formal command investigation, eventually the result of the JAGMAN investigation is subject to a FOIA request but can be redacted to remove matters that are not part of the public record.'

UncaRastus
09-26-2015, 07:25 AM
Bos Mutus and Mjölnir,\

Thank y'all for clarifying the Navy's modus operandus to me.

Absinthe Anecdote
09-26-2015, 02:17 PM
The Navy will formally announce a Relief for Cause of "senior" personnel (CO, XO, CMC / SEL, Program Managers (command equivalent.) As was said above, if the relief is administrative and no formal charges are filed, then generally ... No, the specific reasoning reason is not made public. If there is a formal command investigation, eventually the result of the JAGMAN investigation is subject to a FOIA request but can be redacted to remove matters that are not part of the public record.'

Former TV JAG, Catherine Bell, agrees.

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Catherine-catherine-bell-271605_1024_768.jpg

Salty Old Dog
10-01-2015, 01:40 PM
While I thoroughly enjoyed Ms. Bell's photo shoots in uniform, I did find it interesting that they did some in both Navy and Marine Corps uniform items, as she was primarily known for portraying a Marine JAG lawyer.

However, true JAG fans might remember that during the 2nd season, when LTjg Meg Austin was still partnered with LT Harmon Rabb, Catherine Bell played a Navy officer, who was found dead. When the show went into its 3rd season (and, I believe, a change in networks?), they replaced Meg with Sarah McKenzie, played by Catherine Bell, who they had been impressed with during her showing in the previous season.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0613358/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_201

UncaRastus
10-01-2015, 03:08 PM
Salty Old Dog,

I didn't watch that tv show, so maybe you could fill me in.

She was picked up by the show for a new season, because she played a corpse so well? Or am I missing something here?

Salty Old Dog
11-09-2015, 01:35 PM
Salty Old Dog,

She was picked up by the show for a new season, because she played a corpse so well? Or am I missing something here?

No, if I recall, there were some parts of the show (flashback memories of Harmon Rabb's) where she actually wasn't yet dead. Got to admit, though, she'd make a rather attractive corpse! ;)

UncaRastus
11-09-2015, 01:45 PM
Salty Old Dog, I suppose so. I have seen my share of corpses, and since they never looked too good, I guess that we all have to have a corpse 'to dig on'. ;)

Absinthe Anecdote
11-09-2015, 02:12 PM
Salty Old Dog,

You are missing a lot. So much that I don't feel like explaining it.

Just go back an look at that picture again. Now imagine you are a TV producer.

UncaRastus
11-09-2015, 02:22 PM
AA, I would do just that, and I could go to my TV next, and try to catch her on JAG, but you know that I must keep my activities to few, because I could fall and break a hip. Then my wife would gripe about me being on the floor, and it being so hard to walk around my body. Then she would tell me that it is trash day, and just because I am busted up doesn't mean that I can't crawl out of the front door, to take the garbage cans to the street.

Women. Um, yeah. What's a guy to do?

Rollyn01
11-09-2015, 11:39 PM
Former TV JAG, Catherine Bell, agrees.

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Catherine-catherine-bell-271605_1024_768.jpg

She can captain my mast any time she wants.