PDA

View Full Version : Trump Compare His Prep Academy Days to Serving in the Military

LogDog
09-09-2015, 11:01 PM
Trump never served in the military but he did attend a military-style prep academy and he says that experience made him feel like was in the military. So what do you think, does going to a military prep academy equal serving in the military?

Donald Trump famously did not serve in the military, but in an upcoming book, he says his experience in military school made it so he "always felt like [he] was in the military." The Republican presidential candidate said he had "dealt with those people" in school.

The quotes come from book excerpts and portions of interviews published in the New York Times from the upcoming biography of Trump titled "Never Enough: Donald Trump and the Pursuit of Success," written by Mike D'Antonio. Trump attended New York Military Academy, sent by his parents to correct behavioral issues, which he said allowed him "more training militarily than a lot of the guys that go into the military," according to the Times.
http://www.ibtimes.com/donald-trump-military-service-biography-quotes-presidential-candidate-always-felt-he-2086773

MikeKerriii
09-09-2015, 11:12 PM
Trump never served in the military but he did attend a military-style prep academy and he says that experience made him feel like was in the military. So what do you think, does going to a military prep academy equal serving in the military?

It makes him as military that the kid who went through ROTC summer camp and less to than a basic training graduate. Nothing equals taking the oath and serving but taking the oath and serving. He has said he is the most miltary person around but there are tens of millions of veterans around that have him beat.

UncaRastus
09-10-2015, 12:42 AM
Logdog and Mike,

He must have stayed at a Holiday Inn ... ;)

MikeKerriii
09-10-2015, 06:30 PM
Logdog and Mike,

He must have stayed at a Holiday Inn ... ;)

It says something about how mitary folks and Vets are considered by the media that no one has called him on that BS.

UncaRastus
09-10-2015, 07:37 PM
Mike,

On the one hand, it speaks of a wrongly magnified sense of self being. On the other, he wants to be like us!

LogDog
09-10-2015, 09:51 PM
Mike,

On the one hand, it speaks of a wrongly magnified sense of self being. On the other, he wants to be like us!
Except without the uniforms, without the lower pay, without the deployments, without the danger, without the inspections, without the exercises, without the haircuts, without the saluting, without the decorum, without the PT, without the PSC moves, and much more.

Yep, he wants to be just like us.

MikeKerriii
09-10-2015, 11:00 PM
Mike,

Our profession requires at least a small modicum of honor and integrity, I think even being near those things might cause him to melt like the wet wicked witch

Mjölnir
09-11-2015, 11:41 AM
It was a mistake in trying to compare his time in a military-style prep school to actual military service. If I had to guess it was an effort to establish a bona fide with sections of the electorate that feel that military service is needed to be a legitimate candidate for President ... a poorly thought out statement.

Absinthe Anecdote
09-11-2015, 03:14 PM
Finding out that Trump was shipped away to a military-style boarding school makes me understand him a hell of a lot more.

It even puts his dumb statement about McCain into perspective for me.

"I don't like guys who get captured. I only like guys won't don't get captured."

That is exactly the kind of thing a 15-year-old boy at a military academy would say. It is such a childish statement that it is hard for me to get upset over it.

What gets me upset are the people who are buying into to Trump's narrative on immigration.

UncaRastus
09-11-2015, 03:29 PM
During junior and senior high school, I was threatened several times with going to a military type school. I am not sure about now, but back then, going to military school was indeed a threat not to have been taken lightly.

Back then, at least, there were pretty good academic wise schools with a military type regimen. Also, there were military schools with a very bad reputation for more of an upper class/lower class system that was closer to the 'fresh fish' kind of existence in the prisons.

I do mean like prisons, for some of them, back then. 'Don't drop the soap' was pretty much the credo for a few of the military schools, way back when.

I was threatened with being put into one of the bad type environments. Each time I was threatened with that, I did straighten up, for awhile. By the time I graduated from high school, I did have a straight A report card.

Then my dad told me that I had 2 weeks to get a job, and another 2 weeks to find somewhere else to live.

I enlisted in the USMC immediately, but on the delayed enlistment program, so that I'd have the summer off, until I went to boot camp.

I figured that my dad wouldn't be kicking me out, since he knew that I was going away for a few years, at least. Take that, dad!

Seeing as he was a Marine during WW2, he knew what I was about to be getting into, boot camp wise. He just smiled, and let me slack off all summer. Surfing. Getting laid. Getting drunk.

At the end of the summer, he shook my hand, and stood there smiling, as I left. I looked back at him, and he began to laugh.

Yeah. I got out of going to a military school! I did get my summer off, to do as I pleased!

Then I went to MCRD, San Diego.

Take that, son!

Yeah, I snuck one by my dad, didn't I?

MikeKerriii
09-11-2015, 04:00 PM
It was a mistake in trying to compare his time in a military-style prep school to actual military service. If I had to guess it was an effort to establish a bona fide with sections of the electorate that feel that military service is needed to be a legitimate candidate for President ... a poorly thought out statement.

You are assuming that he doesn't believe what he is saying is true, I think that megalomania explains Trump better than dishonesty.

UncaRastus
09-11-2015, 05:10 PM
I can picture Trump in his past (in my mind), at a military school, planning on how to squeeze the prep school, New York Military Academy, out of money in his plan to becoming a very rich person.

It turns out that NYMA did file for bankruptcy protection, earlier this year.

Holy ripoff, Batman! Will Gotham ever recover?

;) sarcasm

That's a great plot for the next Batman movie. OK, maybe not so great a plot. I do believe that Hollywood would have to change the antagonist's name to The Ronald, just so The Donald doesn't get all butthurt.

I see a drone outside my bay window, with the initials DT emblazoned upon it. It has a missile, pointed at me. I wonder what that's all about?

Donnyboy! How are ya? Just joking! Who does your hair, dude? Or is that a pet squirrel perched on top of your head?

LogDog
09-11-2015, 06:00 PM
During junior and senior high school, I was threatened several times with going to a military type school. I am not sure about now, but back then, going to military school was indeed a threat not to have been taken lightly.

Back then, at least, there were pretty good academic wise schools with a military type regimen. Also, there were military schools with a very bad reputation for more of an upper class/lower class system that was closer to the 'fresh fish' kind of existence in the prisons.

I do mean like prisons, for some of them, back then. 'Don't drop the soap' was pretty much the credo for a few of the military schools, way back when.

I was threatened with being put into one of the bad type environments. Each time I was threatened with that, I did straighten up, for awhile. By the time I graduated from high school, I did have a straight A report card.

Then my dad told me that I had 2 weeks to get a job, and another 2 weeks to find somewhere else to live.

I enlisted in the USMC immediately, but on the delayed enlistment program, so that I'd have the summer off, until I went to boot camp.

I figured that my dad wouldn't be kicking me out, since he knew that I was going away for a few years, at least. Take that, dad!

Seeing as he was a Marine during WW2, he knew what I was about to be getting into, boot camp wise. He just smiled, and let me slack off all summer. Surfing. Getting laid. Getting drunk.

At the end of the summer, he shook my hand, and stood there smiling, as I left. I looked back at him, and he began to laugh.

Yeah. I got out of going to a military school! I did get my summer off, to do as I pleased!

Then I went to MCRD, San Diego.

Take that, son!

Yeah, I snuck one by my dad, didn't I?
A friend of mine parent's sent him away to military school when he was a junior in high school because he was a bit of a troublemaker and needed the discipline the school could provide. I ran into him many years later at a high school reunion and caught up with what happened afterward. He said once he graduated he left all that military crap behind and continued on with his life. He became a welder and after years of building ships he decided to take a job as a trades teacher teaching welding to at a school for adults. Turns out that's what he really likes doing, teaching.

As for Trump, it sees the prep military academy didn't do him much good concerning his ego. It only reinforced his thoughts on his self-worth and arrogance. He was a prick as a kid and now he's a giant prick as an adult.

UncaRastus
09-11-2015, 06:23 PM
You are preaching to the choir, LogDog!

Mjölnir
09-12-2015, 11:47 AM
You are assuming that he doesn't believe what he is saying is true, I think that megalomania explains Trump better than dishonesty.

I would not discount that ... having worked with some politicians at the national level ... some degree of megalomania exists in almost all of them.

Rainmaker
09-14-2015, 05:18 PM
I would not discount that ... having worked with some politicians at the national level ... some degree of megalomania exists in almost all of them.

Sounds a lot like the General Officer corps and the Fed Gov. Senior Executive Service...... A fish rots from the head down.

Salty Old Dog
09-15-2015, 03:16 PM
And yet, as pathetic as Trump's statement was, his experience still blows away the idiotic statement made by Kanye West, comparing being a rap star to being a policeman, or (a military member) at war! SMH

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/kanye-west-compares-work-police-officers-soldiers-war-article-1.1542402

Rainmaker
09-15-2015, 04:39 PM
1964 New York Military Academy:

"What they feature, as one faculty member put it, is “Discipline with a capital D.” It comes from men familiar with it. The sixth, seventh and eighth graders in modern Dingley Hall here, for example, are under the command of Maj. George Mathias Schneider, retired World War II agent of the Office of Strategic Services, whose last Army job was commandant of the post stockade at Fort Hood, Tex."

http://www.nytimes.com/1964/03/03/discipline-with-a-capital-d-is-watchword-for-cadets-at-new-york-military-academy.html?_r=0

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/09/donald-trump-military-school-mentor-213448

2015 Army Strong:

"To my knowledge a group photo to show support of active duty military mommies nursing their little's has never been done"

"Breastfeeding their babies doesn't make them less of a soldier, I believe it makes them a better one."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/09/14/breastfeeding-military-moms-normalize-tara-ruby/72245084/

TRUMP-DEEZ NUTS 2016!!!!

MikeKerriii
09-16-2015, 03:01 PM
1964 New York Military Academy:

"What they feature, as one faculty member put it, is “Discipline with a capital D.” It comes from men familiar with it. The sixth, seventh and eighth graders in modern Dingley Hall here, for example, are under the command of Maj. George Mathias Schneider, retired World War II agent of the Office of Strategic Services, whose last Army job was commandant of the post stockade at Fort Hood, Tex."

http://www.nytimes.com/1964/03/03/discipline-with-a-capital-d-is-watchword-for-cadets-at-new-york-military-academy.html?_r=0

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/09/donald-trump-military-school-mentor-213448

2015 Army Strong:

"To my knowledge a group photo to show support of active duty military mommies nursing their little's has never been done"

"Breastfeeding their babies doesn't make them less of a soldier, I believe it makes them a better one."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/09/14/breastfeeding-military-moms-normalize-tara-ruby/72245084/

TRUMP-DEEZ NUTS 2016!!!!

The first part just proves that Trump played soldier dress up under a real soldier. If the school was supposed to instill self-discipline it failed. since the result was a thin-skinned punk with the maturity of a middle school boy.

The second part is total irrelevant

Rainmaker
09-16-2015, 04:41 PM
. If the school was supposed to instill self-discipline it failed..

What a moronic statement. It takes an incredible amount of self- discipline to have the kind of financial success he's had.

. the result was a thin-skinned punk with the maturity of a middle school boy.

You know Mike, With an attitude like that, it's gonna be a long 8 years for you under our new President Trump.

. The second part is total irrelevant

So anyhow, just for shits n grins last week, Rainmaker put the "TRUMP 2016" bumper sticker on the Pimp Mobile.

Now, Overall the reaction to this has been mostly positive. But, it has run the full gamut, everything from some Prius driving hipster Mf'ers shooting me the bird, to some girls in a 4X4 truck (with a confederate flag) flashing me their titties.

A couple of tatted up, 20 year old, Anchor babies even pulled up next to us at red light in their low rider and started hurling insults in broken Engrish and threatening to kick Rainmakers ass. That is... until a Smith and Wesson .38 snub nose made em calm the hell down. Nomsayin?

MikeKerriii
09-16-2015, 05:15 PM
What a moronic statement. It takes an incredible amount of self- discipline to have the kind of financial success he's had. He has shown no self0-displine sinece he has started running for the nomination. Nothing but thin-skinned rants and idiotic bragging

You know Mike, With an attitude like that, it's gonna be a long 8 years for you under our President Trump. The American people are not that stupid, much of the republican base is but not the general public

So anyhow, just for shits n grins last week, Rainmaker put the "TRUMP 2016" bumper sticker on the Pimp Mobile.

Now, Overall the reaction to this has been positive. But, it has run the full gamut, everything from Prius driving Mf'ers shooting the bird, to girls in a 4X4 truck with confederate flag flashing their titties.

A couple of tatted up, 20 year old, Anchor babies even pulled up next to us at red light in their low rider and started hurling insults in broken Engrish and threatening to kick Rainmakers ass, that is... until a Smith and Wesson .38 snub nose made em calm the hell down. Nomsayin?
With the last line you are saying you need profession mental health help urgently, either that or you are lying again, I think the latter applies is more likely

Rainmaker
09-16-2015, 05:34 PM
With the last line you are saying you need profession mental health help urgently, either that or you are lying again, I think the latter applies is more likely

It's a true story...

Full disclosure though Mike.....The bald one (wearing the wife beater) with the dragon tattoo on his scalp, did look a little menacing..... at first..... But, after he got out of the Impala, Rainmaker realized that he was only about 5'6" tall and already had a serious beer gut going.

The only reason I even still went ahead and brought out the model 15 was that these "dreamers" usually carry knives and I only wanted to diffuse the situation, so that I wouldn't have to curb stomp the little midget in front of my client.... That sort of thing can be bad for business.

MikeKerriii
09-17-2015, 04:12 AM
Trump just held a mitary fund raiser for vetrans, but it turns out the "charity" consists of one sleazy lawyer, does'=t accept people joining and lost it's tax exempt status, automatically for failing to file tax returns fo three years this may. Did Trunp not have anyone on staff smart enough to google or d was the only thing relevent the endorsement

o Trump wants to build up the military to powerfully that they won't have to be used. Folks have tried that since Egypt always fail, Britain and Rome being the most famous failure, he also wants to spend 100s of billions to deport people and build a wall bigger than the great wall of China, So I guess either the deficit is going to skyrocket massively or taxes will do so.

TJMAC77SP
09-23-2015, 03:51 PM
He has shown no self0-displine sinece he has started running for the nomination. Nothing but thin-skinned rants and idiotic bragging

I started reading and thought, "this is a true and cogent thought".

The American people are not that stupid, much of the republican base is but not the general public

Then I read this and think, "well so much for that, back to the moronic tripe".