PDA

View Full Version : Ca to start providing Interpreters for Civil court?

garhkal
08-18-2015, 06:24 AM
I scratched my head when i first read this.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/17/california-moves-to-provide-interpreters-in-all-court-cases/

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/08/16/california-court-interpreters-civil-cases/

So as per the first link, "Under pressure from the U.S. Department of Justice, California's Judicial Council this year approved a plan to extend free interpretation services to all cases by 2017.

The state has about seven million residents with limited English proficiency who speak over 200 languages."

First off, Why if you are here in the US legally, can't you speak English? Yes i realise we have done away with the requirement that you speak/read/write it fluently to become a citizen (still don't know WHY), but if you are here for a # of years, why have you not learned the language?
2ndly, how does the DOJ have sway for CIVIL proceedings?
Lastly, doesn't CA have a lot more (IMO) pressing needs for what they spend their monies on such as the DOZENS of forest fires, Drought etc??

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
08-18-2015, 12:48 PM

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/17/california-moves-to-provide-interpreters-in-all-court-cases/

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/08/16/california-court-interpreters-civil-cases/

So as per the first link, "Under pressure from the U.S. Department of Justice, California's Judicial Council this year approved a plan to extend free interpretation services to all cases by 2017.

The state has about seven million residents with limited English proficiency who speak over 200 languages."

First off, Why if you are here in the US legally, can't you speak English? Yes i realise we have done away with the requirement that you speak/read/write it fluently to become a citizen (still don't know WHY), but if you are here for a # of years, why have you not learned the language?
Lastly, doesn't CA have a lot more (IMO) pressing needs for what they spend their monies on such as the DOZENS of forest fires, Drought etc??

What did you miss about "free?" Won't cost a thing, which is what is so great about California! Everything is free, as long as you are willing to climb over a fence to get there, sacrifice by not having a job, and willing to break some laws here and there. Oh yeah, the fence jumpy thing doesn't count.

MikeKerriii
08-18-2015, 03:52 PM

I know many people who are here legally that don't speak enough English to represent themselves in court. There is a difference between "limited proficiency' and not speaking the language enough to get by in normal life.

DOJ has some a say in all court proceeding because the FEDERAL Constitution requires due process,

efmbman
08-18-2015, 04:07 PM
DOJ has some a say in all court proceeding because the FEDERAL Constitution requires due process,

Yes, indeed. That would be that pesky 14th Amendment that keeps popping up here lately.

Bos Mutus
08-18-2015, 04:22 PM

My maternal grandparents never learned to speak English very much...couple broken words here are there maybe.

They were born in 1900...I think they immigrated maybe in the late 50s or so...not sure they exact date. Anyway, they were older when they immigrated...not sure if either of them ever worked here or not...I don't remember them working, but I came along later. They owned a house and lived on their own, so must've had something for income I guess....never really dawned on me to ask at that time.

Of course, back in the glorious 50s, there were a lot of people who didn't speak English...we had lots of ethnic communities in the cities... Little Italy, Chinatown, Germantown, Spanish Harlem, etc. You did not need English to get by in those places.

This myth that "back in the day, immigrants assimilated to American culture" is complete BS...I grew up in NJ where there were a LOT of immigrants...many many of my friends had parents and especially grandparents with limited to no English ability. It was extremely common. People that immigrated younger learn the language...and within a generation the family does...but many of those older folks don't.

There are still plenty of communities still that predominately or at least widely speak other languages, that one could get by on without English...and it's not just Spanish speaking communities...there are towns that are primarily Vietnamese, Indian, Chinese, etc.

Anyway, it's not as uncommon as you think. Take a trip to NY City some day...soon as you get off the train in Penn Station, Boom, you are in Koreatown.

Rainmaker
08-18-2015, 04:59 PM
This myth that "back in the day, immigrants assimilated to American culture" is complete BS

What's complete BS is your post.

It's not a myth.

America as a nation was built by immigrants.... primarily White European
immigrants who came here LEGALLY and risked everything and then assimilated as quickly as possible, because there was no safety net available for immigrants.

Much different than this current group of takers that comes here ILLEGALLY to suck off the tit of the American Taxpayer and get on the dole in a system they did not create and do not appreciate.

Bos Mutus
08-18-2015, 05:05 PM

It's not a myth.

immigrants who came here LEGALLY and risked everything and then assimilated as quickly as possible, because there was no safety net available for immigrants.

I'm just saying...then and now...many LEGAL immigrants did not and do not speak English....even white ones who built things.

Much different than this current group of takers that comes here ILLEGALLY to suck off the tit of the American Taxpayer and get on the dole in a system they did not create and do not appreciate.

Wildly overstated rhetoric.

There are also many immigrants in our hospitals, universities, research centers...doing great work.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-18-2015, 05:10 PM
I'm just saying...then and now...many LEGAL immigrants did not and do not speak English.

There are also many immigrants in our hospitals, universities, research centers...doing great work.

Can you say xenophobia?

It reminds me of Sean Hannity saying that the lifeboat is full. One more immigrant might sink us!

Rainmaker
08-18-2015, 05:23 PM

Yes, And those are the ones being sponsored in here legally by Fortune 500 companies on H1B visas to undercut the American worker and further suppress wages.

http://www.myvisajobs.com/Reports/2014-H1B-Visa-Sponsor.aspx

Absinthe Anecdote
08-18-2015, 05:25 PM

It's not a myth.

So are you and Trump going to have a Crystal Nacht?

Bos Mutus
08-18-2015, 05:30 PM

Interesting read...

Study: Latinos Learn English Faster Than Past Immigrants

Many who oppose high levels of Latino immigration argue that (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/10/jason-richwine-resigns-heritage-foundation_n_3254927.html) these new immigrants don't learn English as quickly as prior waves of European immigrants did. A series of new studies, however, reveals a different picture. Latinos are doing pretty well at learning English, especially when compared to many German immigrants of the 19th century, who were considerably slower to acquire the language.
The research (http://www.escholarship.org/uc/item/5vn092kk), conducted by Joseph Salmons of the University of Wisconsin-Madison and Miranda E. Wilkerson of Columbia College, indicates that a significant portion of second and third-generation descendants of immigrants in Wisconsin did not learn English, and spoke only German. The difference doesn't quite have to do with geographical isolation or lack of educational resources. It seems in such communities there was not as much of a cultural emphasis or need placed on learning English.
Today, 92 percent of the Latino second generation (children of immigrants) speak English "very well," and by the third generation nearly one hundred percent of Latinos are either English dominant or fully bilingual, according to a Pew study from last year. (http://www.pewhispanic.org/2012/04/04/iv-language-use-among-latinos/)
In the late nineteenth century, in contrast, more than a third of all residents of Wisconsin were native German speakers, and in some counties, like Hustisford, Wisconsin, 35 percent of American-born (second generation) immigrants spoke only German.
Salmons says there are no Latino communities in the U.S. that mimic these patterns.
"I challenge anybody to show me a third generation person in this country who speaks Spanish and no English, whereas we can find in the Census records, we can find those people in German speaking communities," said Joseph Salmons, who studies language acquisition in immigrant communities. "Find me a place where you have a third of the community speaking only Spanish, and over half of them are born in the U.S. I don't believe it, and I don't know of any evidence to suggest as much."
Their findings are based on an analysis of Census data from 1910 as well as more qualitative research of community records.
Much like today, many in the 19th and early 20th centuries feared that immigrants would threaten the prosperity of the nation as a whole. Even founding father Benjamin Franklin wrote in 1753: (http://abcnews.go.com/ABC_Univision/fear-immigrants-america/story?id=19177944)
"Few of their children in the country learn English... The signs in our streets have inscriptions in both languages ... Unless the stream of their importation could be turned they will soon so outnumber us that all the advantages we have will not be able to preserve our language, and even our government will become precarious."
But turns out, we were alright and today, more Americans (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-06/u-s-ethnic-mix-boasts-german-accent-amid-surge-of-hispanics.html) say their ancestry traces back to Germany than to any other foreign nation.
Salmons believes looking at history is a good way to shape how we think about the present immigration debate.
"In a country like ours where immigration has been going on for hundreds of years, the rhetoric has remained almost the same for those hundreds of years," Salmons said.
"It's really useful for people to consider the history, even their own family's history, and their own community's history as they consider the current debate."

http://abcnews.go.com/ABC_Univision/News/study-latinos-learn-english-faster-german-immigrants/story?id=19428225#.UcG0Gfnvtyy

Rainmaker
08-18-2015, 05:33 PM
Can you say xenophobia?

Xenophobia defined- an intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries.

Expecting and Demanding that our representatives in government enforce our presently existing laws (all of which were legally passed by our congress and signed into law by our past presidents) is not Xenophobia.

Bos Mutus
08-18-2015, 05:34 PM
Yes, And those are the ones being sponsored in here legally by Fortune 500 companies on H1B visas to undercut the American worker and further suppress wages.

http://www.myvisajobs.com/Reports/2014-H1B-Visa-Sponsor.aspx

Oh, the poor oppressed white man...if ain't them illegals jumping the fences and living off welfare...it's the imported Doctors suppressing our wages.

No, I don't think Associate Professors of Oncology are suppressing the American worker...

I stated hospitals, universities and researchers...and you post a link with tech jobs...irrelevant and they are not "the ones."

Bos Mutus
08-18-2015, 05:40 PM

Xenophobia defined- an intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries.

Expecting and Demanding that our representatives in government enforce our presently existing laws (all of which were legally passed by our congress and signed into law by our past presidents) is not Xenophobia.

H1B visas are legal...and you're still whining...

What are the historical numbers and shares of immigrants in the United States?
Data on the nativity of the U.S. population was first collected in the 1850 decennial census. That year, there were 2.2 million foreign born in the United States, 9.7 percent of the total population.
Between 1860 and 1920, immigrants as a percentage of the total population fluctuated between 13.0 and 15.0 percent, peaking at 14.8 percent in 1890 mainly due to European immigration. By 1930, immigrants' share of the U.S. population had dropped to 11.6 percent (14.2 million individuals).
The share of foreign born in the U.S. population continued to decline between the 1930s and 1970s, reaching a record low of 4.7 percent in 1970 (9.6 million individuals). However, since 1970, the percentage has risen rapidly, mainly due to large-scale immigration from Latin America and Asia.
In 1980, according to the Census Bureau, the foreign born represented 6.2 percent (14.1 million individuals) of the total U.S. population. By 1990, their share had risen to 7.9 percent (19.8 million individuals) and, by the 2000 census, they made up 11.1 percent (31.1 million individuals) of the total U.S. population.
As of 2009, immigrants comprised 12.5 percent (38.5 million) of the total U.S. population.

Rainmaker
08-18-2015, 05:47 PM
Oh, the poor oppressed white man...if ain't them illegals jumping the fences and living off welfare...it's the imported Doctors suppressing our wages.

First of all I'm not poor. I made $24,000 last month selling coastal real estate. More than half of my sales were to foreigners from countries where the politicians haven't sold out their constituents for the proverbial 30 shekels of silver.

Secondly, I guess they didn't teach you in your MBA class at UMUC how to understand that a wage is a price for labor.

Now, when the government sets conditions that encourage the market to be flooded with subsidized cheap labor, then the prices for labor (wages) go down.

They've been doing this for 40 years and It's essentially price fixing. Price fixing is always Communistic in nature.

We need to Deport Every illegal Alien that's here immediately, starting with the 350,000"Dreamers" currently taking up air in United States prisons.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-18-2015, 05:51 PM

It's not a myth.

Seriously, you post crap like this and you wonder why I lampoon you.

It really does sound like you are calling for a Latino Crystal Nacht.

Rainmaker
08-18-2015, 05:59 PM
H1B visas are legal...and you're still whining...

Yes, I said it was legal. Something can be legal and still not be in the best interest of the Nation.

So, you're posting historical immigration statistics from the industrial revolution in 1850, when we had a manpower shortage and no welfare whatsoever and comparing that to now when we have tens of millions of people sitting on the dole and a generous welfare state.

How many Illegal and Legal immigrants are going to be enough to satisfy your retarded liberal need for "fairness" and "diversity", why do we need take in more people?

Absinthe Anecdote
08-18-2015, 06:01 PM
First of all I'm not poor. I made $24,000 last month selling coastal real estate. More than half of my sales were to foreigners from countries where the politicians haven't sold out their constituents for the proverbial 30 shekels of silver.

Secondly, I guess they didn't teach you in your MBA class at UMUC how to understand that a wage is a price for labor.

Now, when the government sets conditions that encourage the market to be flooded with subsidized cheap labor, then the prices for labor (wages) go down.

They've been doing this for 40 years and It's essentially price fixing. Price fixing is always Communistic in nature.

We need to Deport Every illegal Alien that's here immediately, starting with the 350,000"Dreamers" currently taking up air in United States prisons.

You need some theme music for this post. Let me suggest this.
http://youtu.be/9s5zcXccNMYhttp://youtu.be/9s5zcXccNMY

Absinthe Anecdote
08-18-2015, 06:03 PM

No, I don't think Associate Professors of Oncology are suppressing the American worker...

I stated hospitals, universities and researchers...and you post a link with tech jobs...irrelevant and they are not "the ones."

Have you google searched the SSPX position on immigration?

I wonder what it says?

Rainmaker
08-18-2015, 06:05 PM
Seriously, you post crap like this and you wonder why I lampoon you.

It really does sound like you are calling for a Latino Crystal Nacht.

OMG!!! Rainmaker's talking about enforcing the law!!! What a radical idea!!!! KRISTALLNACHT!!!!.....SSPX!!!.....HITLER!!!!.....T HAT'S RACIST!!!

Bos Mutus
08-18-2015, 06:07 PM

Snobbery....and once again, I never attended UMUC. So, you're obviously trying to pick at me personally thinking my degree is not of some elitist pedigree...unfortunately, like everything else you post...loudmouth rhetoric not based on a single fact.

H1B are not for "cheap subsidized labor" by design...not saying some greedy corporations haven't abused them...i.e. Disney.

I have no problem deporting illegal alien prisoners...sounds good to me...providing the serve some time at home, as well. I don't wanna take one of your criminals and simply release them in their home country, that's insane..

That's completely a different animal from the highly skilled professionals that are recruited to our best hospitals, universities and research centers...to keep us on the cutting edge of research and technology.

Rainmaker
08-18-2015, 06:12 PM
You need some theme music for this post. Let me suggest this.
http://youtu.be/9s5zcXccNMYhttp://youtu.be/9s5zcXccNMY

Bos Mutus....May we sing that as a duet?

Bos Mutus
08-18-2015, 06:18 PM
Yes, I said it was legal. Something can be legal and still not be in the best interest of the Nation.

So, you're posting historical immigration statistics from the industrial revolution in 1850, when we had a manpower shortage and no welfare whatsoever and comparing that to now when we have tens of millions of people sitting on the dole and a generous welfare state.

How many Illegal and Legal immigrants are going to be enough to satisfy your retarded liberal need for "fairness" and "diversity", why do we need take in more people?

Let me recap for you:

Garkhal: Why don't these immigrants speak English

Me: it's not that uncommon for first generation immigrants to not speak English...and it's been going on as long as we've had immigrants

You" That's a lie...the old immigrants were white people who built things..and then assimmiliate nearly immediately.

You: (insert namecalling, perceived insult on educational attainment, more unsubstantiated rhetoric)

Me: (post reference showing old immigrants did not learn English faster than new immigrants)

You: That's a statistic comparing old immigrants when we needed them...why do we need them now?

To sum up...my involvement here was answering Garkhal's question, which I did...and provided a reference study...and I'm done playing your baseless rhetoric game. errrr.. BM Out///

Rainmaker
08-18-2015, 07:35 PM
Let me recap for you:

Garkhal: Why don't these immigrants speak English

Me: it's not that uncommon for first generation immigrants to not speak English...and it's been going on as long as we've had immigrants

You" That's a lie...the old immigrants were white people who built things..and then assimmiliate nearly immediately.

You: (insert namecalling, perceived insult on educational attainment, more unsubstantiated rhetoric)

Me: (post reference showing old immigrants did not learn English faster than new immigrants)

You: That's a statistic comparing old immigrants when we needed them...why do we need them now?

To sum up...my involvement here was answering Garkhal's question, which I did...and provided a reference study...and I'm done playing your baseless rhetoric game. errrr.. BM Out///

Thanks for the synopsis. But, unfortunately I must give you an "F" for full of shit.

For now you need to Stick to the hiding behind your partner's skirt over in the "yelling out loud at Jesus" thread.

@absinthe antidote. Fail. Dude's not ready to disinfo troll solo yet. Get your shit together. Rainmaker out//

MikeKerriii
08-18-2015, 08:53 PM
So are you and Trump going to have a Crystal Nacht?

That only works when the victims can't shoot back. So all they will do is secretively wish and publicly babble

Bos Mutus
08-18-2015, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the synopsis. But, unfortunately I must give you an "F" for full of shit.

For now you need to Stick to the hiding behind your partner's skirt over in the "yelling out loud at Jesus" thread.

@absinthe antidote. Fail. Dude's not ready to disinfo troll solo yet. Get your shit together. Rainmaker out//

oh, snap...top notch...well done....you are really really good at this.

bad words to demonstrate intensity...condescending tone....an assault on masculinity....I think you've covered it, no need for a thoughtful substantive comment from you, true to form indeed.

grow up already,

garhkal
08-19-2015, 05:43 AM
What did you miss about "free?" Won't cost a thing, which is what is so great about California! Everything is free, as long as you are willing to climb over a fence to get there, sacrifice by not having a job, and willing to break some laws here and there. Oh yeah, the fence jumpy thing doesn't count.

How is it really free though. Since every tax payer is forking out higher taxes for it?

I know many people who are here legally that don't speak enough English to represent themselves in court. There is a difference between "limited proficiency' and not speaking the language enough to get by in normal life.

Which brings me back to the question, of when did we STOP requiring fluency in English to become a citizen?

Due process is one thing. BUT where is the responsibility for the COURT to provide interpreters for civil proceedings?

Interesting read...

Thanks for that link. Yes it WAS interesting to read it. BUT personal experiences and other incidences (such as someone who served jury duty mentioning a kid (14) who had lived here and graduated both Elementary and Jr High, barely speaking English in his court appearance for vandalism), make me wonder WHERE they went to do that study, and how many people they checked?

Exactly Rainmaker. I am NOT against Immigrants. Far from it. If you want to come here, do the RIGHT THING and do it legally.
Its only those who are here ILLEGALLY i am up in arms against.

That's completely a different animal from the highly skilled professionals that are recruited to our best hospitals, universities and research centers...to keep us on the cutting edge of research and technology.

Bos. Those who are here on those 'visas' are here LEGALLY though. What me and RM are saying, is get rid of the ILLEGALS here.. Not those legally here.

RM< i had NO Problem with Bos and AA pointing out their personal accounts of how things are/were BY their perspective. So its NOT an F for full of shit.
There are times i often wonder if you only post here, just to be argumentative..

MikeKerriii
08-19-2015, 04:06 PM
Which brings me back to the question, of when did we STOP requiring fluency in English to become a citizen? As someone whose spouse went through that process and someone that was interested in the process and researched it a bit. I can tell you that fluency, about the most basic level, has never been a requirement. Why do you think that full fluency was every a requirement?

Due process is one thing. BUT where is the responsibility for the COURT to provide interpreters for civil proceedings? It is the courts responsibility to ensure the proceedings are fair to all involved..

Rainmaker
08-19-2015, 04:15 PM
RM< i had NO Problem with Bos and AA pointing out their personal accounts of how things are/were BY their perspective. So its NOT an F for full of shit.
There are times i often wonder if you only post here, just to be argumentative..

Ok, Garhkal..... Only Because, I like you and you've made a good case for them and in order to demonstrate My Merciful and benevolent Christian Spirit toward my Conquered former enemies, Rainmaker has decided to raise the grade for Bos Mutus up to a "D" for Dumbass.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
08-19-2015, 04:23 PM
How is it really free though. Since every tax payer is forking out higher taxes for it?

EXACTLY! People like Obama like to tout free this, free that...just vote for me! He knows there is no such thing as FREE. Someone has to pay for it.

Bos Mutus
08-19-2015, 04:35 PM
Thanks for that link. Yes it WAS interesting to read it. BUT personal experiences and other incidences (such as someone who served jury duty mentioning a kid (14) who had lived here and graduated both Elementary and Jr High, barely speaking English in his court appearance for vandalism), make me wonder WHERE they went to do that study, and how many people they checked?

Go read the study. You have limited personal experience...and would assume you have zero personal experience at the turn of the 20th Century.

That's why people study things...singular personal experience does not always illustrate reality.

Bos. Those who are here on those 'visas' are here LEGALLY though. What me and RM are saying, is get rid of the ILLEGALS here.. Not those legally here.

YOU asked how someone LEGAL could not speak English....I assume by this question, you are implying that these services provided by California courts are pretty much serving only ILLEGAL aliens...correct?

I was attempting to open your eyes to the idea that many LEGAL immigrants and LEGAL residents do not speak English or not very well....also somewhat implying that these services are also for LEGAL immigrants who may not speak English.

TJMAC77SP
08-19-2015, 04:59 PM
.................I was attempting to open your eyes to the idea that many LEGAL immigrants and LEGAL residents do not speak English or not very well....also somewhat implying that these services are also for LEGAL immigrants who may not speak English.

I run into that all the time in my work. Often it isn't a matter of complete lack of English skills but a lack of the fluency needed for complex discussions.

garhkal
08-19-2015, 05:10 PM
As someone whose spouse went through that process and someone that was interested in the process and researched it a bit. I can tell you that fluency, about the most basic level, has never been a requirement. Why do you think that full fluency was every a requirement?

Like you, it comes from several family members (and friends of the family) recounting their stories of when THEY got naturalized over here, after moving from the UK.

EXACTLY! People like Obama like to tout free this, free that...just vote for me! He knows there is no such thing as FREE. Someone has to pay for it.

5 stars for you for getting it.

YOU asked how someone LEGAL could not speak English....I assume by this question, you are implying that these services provided by California courts are pretty much serving only ILLEGAL aliens...correct?

I was attempting to open your eyes to the idea that many LEGAL immigrants and LEGAL residents do not speak English or not very well....also somewhat implying that these services are also for LEGAL immigrants who may not speak English.

IMO It does strain credability to see 7 million Legal residents in just ONE State, not understanding English enough they need for the courts to provide Interpreters. And since CA is one of the larger "Sanctuary states", it does make some sense to see a good % of that number, being the illegals there.

Bos Mutus
08-19-2015, 05:17 PM
IMO It does strain credability to see 7 million Legal residents in just ONE State, not understanding English enough they need for the courts to provide Interpreters. And since CA is one of the larger "Sanctuary states", it does make some sense to see a good % of that number, being the illegals there.

Did you know California has more people than Canada?

Rainmaker
08-19-2015, 05:54 PM
Did you know California has more people than Canada?

Only because they've been overrun with Mexican Immigrants.