PDA

View Full Version : 31 MDG congratulates breastfeeding mothers

Bos Mutus
08-13-2015, 03:17 PM
8/10/2015 - AVIANO AIR BASE, Italy -- The Aviano Breastfeeding Support Group hosted a ceremony honoring all women who choose to breastfeed their children, Aug. 7, 2015, at Aviano Air Base, Italy. Women who have breastfed consistently for six months received coins from the 31st Medical Group. U.S. Air Force Brig. Gen. Barre Seguin, 31st Fighter Wing commander, and his wife Nancy also spoke at the event.

Thought some might enjoy this...

Absinthe Anecdote
08-13-2015, 03:25 PM
Thought some might enjoy this...

It isn't a big deal, but I'm sure one of our resident dinosaurs will start screaming about it being a harbinger of the end times.

Cue Rainmaker/Flaps/garkhal in 3,2,1...

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
08-13-2015, 04:31 PM
They were coined for breastfeeding? This is a little absurd, if you think about it. Everyone is a winner, and everyone gets a prize! Let's start coining men for sitting on a toilet seat to pee instead of spraying piss on the walls.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
08-13-2015, 04:33 PM
It isn't a big deal, but I'm sure one of our resident dinosaurs will start screaming about it being a harbinger of the end times.

Dinosaurs? Add that to racist, sexist homophobes.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-13-2015, 05:07 PM
They were coined for breastfeeding? This is a little absurd, if you think about it. Everyone is a winner, and everyone gets a prize! Let's start coining men for sitting on a toilet seat to pee instead of spraying piss on the walls.

Or you and some of you Geritol swigging contemporaries could go loot the commissary in response to this atrocity.

Go grab a as many adult diapers as your electric scooter will carry, and if anyone gets in your way give them a solid whack with your grabber stick.

Seriously, what is so absurd about the Medical Group giving coins for this?

It isn't like getting coined is formal recognition, it is just a trinket.

UncaRastus
08-13-2015, 05:50 PM
I have a recipe on how to make Geritol Smoothies, if anyone is interested. ;)

Absinthe Anecdote
08-13-2015, 05:59 PM
I have a recipe on how to make Geritol Smoothies, if anyone is interested. ;)

Geritol is probably a lot cheaper than the ginseng concoction I drink every morning. I shouldn't make fun of it.

LogDog
08-13-2015, 06:29 PM
I don't know why this would be news worthy even if it was just on the Aviano AB website.

As for the coins, were they Commander's Coins or a coin designed for the program? If it was a Commander's Coin then presenting it devalues the coins given to airmen for their mission accomplishments. I'm thinking since both the wing commander and his wife attended this event it was a program his wife was heavily involved with.

Bos Mutus
08-13-2015, 06:33 PM
I don't know why this would be news worthy even if it was just on the Aviano AB website.

As for the coins, were they Commander's Coins or a coin designed for the program? If it was a Commander's Coin then presenting it devalues the coins given to airmen for their mission accomplishments. I'm thinking since both the wing commander and his wife attended this event it was a program his wife was heavily involved with.

I got a coin from the Chairman JCS for, just kind of being there and shaking his hand...he had dozens of them and was just handing them out.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-13-2015, 06:46 PM
Devalues the coins?

That is assuming a commander's coin has any value in the first place.

They are just tokens of thanks and appreciation, we aren't talking about Bronze Stars.

SomeRandomGuy
08-13-2015, 06:55 PM

Here is a fun piece of trivia for you guys. Coins can be purchased with appropriated funds as long as they are not personalized. For example, the coin can say, "Presented by 31AW Commander" but it can't say, "31 AW Commander Lt. Gen Smith"

The only exceptions are SAF, Chief of Staff, CMSGT of AF, 4-Stars, and SES 4-Star equivalents.

4.31.2. Mission Accomplishment Awards. Air Force activities may use appropriated funds to purchase special trophies and awards authorized by those AFI 36-XXXX series instructions which pertain to mission accomplishment or a MAJCOM/Base/FOA/DRU supplement thereto. Included are trophies, plaques, emblems, certificates, organizational coins, and similar items that are designed for display purposes. For organizational coins, do not personalize them by stamping the presenter’s name on the coin and the presenter’s name is not to be added after the coin is cast (EXCEPTION: Secretary of the Air Force, Chief of Staff of the Air Force, Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force, four (4) star general officers and four (4) star civilian equivalents are authorized to personalize coins). The coins are to be presented as cast from the die without further embellishment, i.e. presenter’s name engraved. They are organizational coins, not personalized mementos. Use only the organization’s name and the position of the presenter (e.g. Commander 33rd FW Eglin AFB, FL). The prohibition against personalizing stationery in AF Supplement to DoDI 5330.03, is applicable to organizational coins for the same reasons – it creates frozen stock (waste) when personnel change and requires an additional expenditure to change the die from which these items are cast. Appropriated funds are not legally available to procure “commemorative” coins. Merchandise items such as belt buckles with a nominal cost, as determined by local Command authorities, and which display the activity logo, insignia or other inscription that clearly identifies its purpose meet Comptroller General criteria for mission accomplishment awards. Air Force activities may use such items for mission accomplishment awards to the extent authorized by agency directives or instructions. The authority for merchandise-type items for mission accomplishment awards for civilians is 5 U.S.C. 4501-4507 (see Comptroller General Decision B-243025) and for military, 10 U.S.C.

If you ever get a coin that is personalized it was actually paid for directly by the person who gave it to you. With that said, I wonder what type of coins they gave to these ladies.

Bos Mutus
08-13-2015, 07:43 PM
Here is a fun piece of trivia for you guys. Coins can be purchased with appropriated funds as long as they are not personalized. For example, the coin can say, "Presented by 31AW Commander" but it can't say, "31 AW Commander Lt. Gen Smith"

True...and the commander has to keep a log book on his appropriated fund coins...they have to write down the date, who he gave them to and for what purpose...I don't remember what all exactly has to be in the log, but it is auditable and they have to account for all the coins.

The only exceptions are SAF, Chief of Staff, CMSGT of AF, 4-Stars, and SES 4-Star equivalents.

I have a lot of coins.

If you ever get a coin that is personalized it was actually paid for directly by the person who gave it to you. With that said, I wonder what type of coins they gave to these ladies.[/QUOTE]

garhkal
08-14-2015, 05:24 AM

Someone summoned???

IMO the only thing i dislike about this is the giving out a coin for something that should be done anyway (Breast feeding newborns).. That's like giving someone a coin cause they shaved their face every day for 90 days.. Or came into office with their boots polished..

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
08-14-2015, 12:39 PM
Seriously, what is so absurd about the Medical Group giving coins for this?

It isn't like getting coined is formal recognition, it is just a trinket.

Whether a 24K gold coin or paper airplane, it's an "everyone gets a prize" mentality. Breast feeding is normal, not something to be recognized for. Perhaps ESPN should give them the Courage Award, like they did for the cross dresser, Bruce Jenner, who chooses to pretend he's a woman named Caitlyn.

UncaRastus
08-14-2015, 01:16 PM
Maybe this General was caught checking out a breastfeeding woman, and he came up with the coin idea, to whitewash his pervertedness?

;)

garhkal
08-15-2015, 04:26 AM
Maybe this General was caught checking out a breastfeeding woman, and he came up with the coin idea, to whitewash his pervertedness?

;)

Being usually when i have seen women in public Breast feed, they usually pop out the teet, and cover up, he was not (more than likely) going to see much.

Bos Mutus
08-15-2015, 05:03 AM
Being usually when i have seen women in public Breast feed, they usually pop out the teet, and cover up, he was not (more than likely) going to see much.

I can't even remember the last time I saw a woman breastfeed in public....I miss all the fun

Bos Mutus
08-15-2015, 05:04 AM

;)

Coins for Titties....now we're talkin'

Absinthe Anecdote
08-15-2015, 06:02 AM
Coins for Titties....now we're talkin'

I'd like to see you try that at a strip club.

Bos Mutus
08-15-2015, 07:56 AM
I'd like to see you try that at a strip club.

Works in Europe or the Philippines