PDA

View Full Version : Used 55 Gallon Metal Barrels

Mjölnir
07-30-2015, 06:01 PM
Any idea what kind of businesses I could hit up to buy a couple empty 55 gallon metal barrels?

I make my own charcoal, and the one I have been using for years finally is unserviceable. I have made half a dozen calls to some local auto shops etc. and they are all using plastic ones :(

SomeRandomGuy
07-30-2015, 06:53 PM
My dad a used to work for a company called Able Fiberglass. They made custom sleepers for semi-trucks and other things of that nature. The company would just discard the drums when they were empty. He found out the manufacturer would buy them back if he transported to them. I remember helping him load the drums on a trailer and drive them to the manufacturer.

That was a really long way to say that fiberglass resin is still sold in 55 gallon drums. Or at least I think it is. You might see if there are any companies near you that use fiberglass resin to make things. I'm not sure if they would sell you the drums or not though. I think the drums had to be cleaned out before anything could be done with them otherwise they are considered hazmat.

Mjölnir
07-30-2015, 07:23 PM
SomeRandomGuy, will look at that ... didn't think of it.

As and FYI, making your own lump charcoal is easy, I use two barrels 30 gal inside a 55 gal. cut out a small 18" w x 12" h window at the bottom, make a small stand inside out of bricks, fill the 30 gal with wood cut down to 4 - 6" pieces, close the 30 gallon (with a small hole to let moisture out) put the 30 gal in the 55 gallon and load with kindling on the bottom and progressively bigger wood near to the top, light and forget for about 2 hours, add wood and keep adding for about 6 hours of burn. Let it burn out and cool off and the wood will have charred up really nice.

LogDog
07-30-2015, 08:33 PM
Any idea what kind of businesses I could hit up to buy a couple empty 55 gallon metal barrels?

I make my own charcoal, and the one I have been using for years finally is unserviceable. I have made half a dozen calls to some local auto shops etc. and they are all using plastic ones :(
The only business I've seen with 55-gallon metal barrels is turning them into barbeque grills and smokers.

Kegler
07-30-2015, 08:39 PM
I get mine from a local company that rebuilds the huge electric motors. They get the stuff for coating the windings after they rewind a motor in them

Bos Mutus
07-31-2015, 12:12 AM
Any idea what kind of businesses I could hit up to buy a couple empty 55 gallon metal barrels?:(

I would try a company that makes or sells 55 gallon drums.

http://www.grainger.com/

Mjölnir
07-31-2015, 01:34 AM
I would try a company that makes or sells 55 gallon drums.

http://www.grainger.com/

Was hoping to just get a used one and save some cash.

efmbman
07-31-2015, 11:21 AM

Have you tried a chemical company? Some solvents are transported in metal barrels. A food distribution company may have some as well. Based on your intended use, the former contents may not be a concern. For my uses, I collect the food-grade plastic barrels so I am very concerned about the former contents. Those are getting harder to find too.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
07-31-2015, 12:02 PM
Was hoping to just get a used one and save some cash.

This was is cheap, only $89.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-10759/Drums/Steel-Drum-55-Gallon-Closed-Top-Unlined?pricode=WY228&utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=pla&utm_term=S-10759&utm_campaign=Drums%2C%2BPails%2B%26%2BContainers

Amazon has 30 gal drums for a little cheaper.

Rainmaker
07-31-2015, 01:26 PM
Folks, It was a slow day and the Commander was trying to get some conversation going....

The man has a Post graduate education from the McCourt school of Public Policy. He really don't need a bunch of hick rubes like us to explain to him how to read a catalog. NomSayin?

Mjölnir
07-31-2015, 01:52 PM
Have you tried a chemical company? Some solvents are transported in metal barrels. A food distribution company may have some as well. Based on your intended use, the former contents may not be a concern. For my uses, I collect the food-grade plastic barrels so I am very concerned about the former contents. Those are getting harder to find too.

Provided the stuff in it wasn't going to poison me when I burned it ... hadn't thought of that.

This was is cheap, only $89.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-10759/Drums/Steel-Drum-55-Gallon-Closed-Top-Unlined?pricode=WY228&utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=pla&utm_term=S-10759&utm_campaign=Drums%2C%2BPails%2B%26%2BContainers

Amazon has 30 gal drums for a little cheaper.

Thanks ... have found some in the 50-60 dollar range ... was kinda thinking (hoping) I would find some cheaper (last one I got for $20.)

Yes, I am cheap .... errrrrr .... frugal.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
07-31-2015, 01:58 PM
Provided the stuff in it wasn't going to poison me when I burned it ... hadn't thought of that.

Thanks ... have found some in the 50-60 dollar range ... was kinda thinking (hoping) I would find some cheaper (last one I got for $20.)

Yes, I am cheap .... errrrrr .... frugal.

You might some in the "hood." I always see 55 gal drums and shopping carts in the hood. Drive there in a Sanford & Son pick-up and nobody will blink an eye.

UncaRastus
07-31-2015, 02:30 PM
Behind a local hardware store? The two local ones in this city have a couple each sitting out back, available to whoever wants them, for free.

Absinthe Anecdote
07-31-2015, 07:43 PM
When you get the 55 gallon drum, it is important to make sure your sauce is vinegar-based.

http://youtu.be/6ubTQfr_tyY