PDA

View Full Version : Afghanistan Bans Toy Guns

crwchf16
07-27-2015, 06:46 PM
http://www.airforcetimes.com/story/military/2015/07/27/--afghanistan-awash--arms--push--ban-toy-guns/30729751/
I'm actually ok with this. One of the big problems we have is that kids don't always understand that guns are not toys. Hollywood does nothing to help that impression either but that is a whole other topic. I own several real guns and always will but I will never give toy guns to my kids. When they are old enough I will teach them to use and respect the real thing.
Your thoughts?

Rainmaker
07-27-2015, 07:10 PM
http://www.airforcetimes.com/story/military/2015/07/27/--afghanistan-awash--arms--push--ban-toy-guns/30729751/
I'm actually ok with this. One of the big problems we have is that kids don't always understand that guns are not toys. Hollywood does nothing to help that impression either but that is a whole other topic. I own several real guns and always will but I will never give toy guns to my kids. When they are old enough I will teach them to use and respect the real thing.
Your thoughts?

Rainmaker's already used his three free views for the Month..... So, can't comment on the political genius of Afghanistan.... But, FWIW......

I grew up in a rural setting. I was out tagging along with my Father and Older Brothers Hunting since, before I can remember. By the time I was double digits in age my friends and I used to take our single shot .22 rifles out to the woods and shoot squirrels or cans etc.

By the time I was in High School in the 1980s, we'd bring our Deer Rifles to school on the first day of Season and leave them all day unlocked in gun racks in the back windows of pickup trucks, so that we could get a couple hours of hunting in when school let out. Somehow, they never got stolen and no one I knew of ever got shot.

I also recall that as young children, we had toy guns and sometimes used to play "Cowboys and Indians" or "Cops and robbers" around our houses. But, by some unknown, mysterious, esoteric power of the universe we managed to learn to be able to tell the difference between pretending to shoot someone with a toy pop gun and actually shooting them with a .30.06.

MikeKerriii
07-27-2015, 07:15 PM
Your thoughts?

I think banning toy guns in a combat zone is a very reasonable idea. I think banning guns for the reasons given is a pretty silly idea.

crwchf16
07-27-2015, 07:40 PM
Rainmaker's already used his three free views for the Month..... So, can't comment on the political genius of Afghanistan.... But, FWIW......

I grew up in a rural setting. I was out tagging along with my Father and Older Brothers Hunting since, before I can remember. By the time I was double digits in age my friends and I used to take our single shot .22 rifles out to the woods and shoot squirrels or cans etc.

By the time I was in High School in the 1980s, we'd bring our Deer Rifles to school on the first day of Season and leave them all day unlocked in gun racks in the back windows of pickup trucks, so that we could get a couple hours of hunting in when school let out. Somehow, they never got stolen and no one I knew of ever got shot.

I also recall that as young children, we had toy guns and sometimes used to play cowboys and Indians or Manhunt around our houses. But, by some unknown, mysterious, esoteric power of the universe we managed to learn to be able to tell the difference between pretending to shoot someone with a toy pop gun and actually shooting them with a .30.06.

I'm with you and your points. I grew up in a very similar environment too; rural, hunting, target shooting, etc. I agree that if kids are properly taught about guns then there is rarely any problem. The problem today is a combination of a lack of education and parent oversight mixed with far more gratuitous violence on the TV than we saw when we were kids.

crwchf16
07-27-2015, 07:46 PM
I think banning toy guns in a combat zone is a very reasonable idea. I think banning guns for the reasons given is a pretty silly idea.

Just so there's no confusion, I am against banning guns too but guns are not toys and shouldn't ever be presented as such

Rainmaker
07-27-2015, 08:05 PM
The problem today is a combination of a lack of education and parent oversight mixed with far more gratuitous violence on the TV than we saw when we were kids.

Agree, This is most likely the root cause of the problem.

"Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it."

meatbringer
07-27-2015, 09:25 PM
I'm with you and your points. I grew up in a very similar environment too; rural, hunting, target shooting, etc. I agree that if kids are properly taught about guns then there is rarely any problem. The problem today is a combination of a lack of education and parent oversight mixed with far more gratuitous violence on the TV than we saw when we were kids.

I agree with this guy. I was raised around guns, hunting, grew up on 90's action flicks, and had toy guns. Hell, my friends and I had tons of toy guns and even played violent video games, but I have never seen a gun as a toy or as a means of entertainment. I currently own a couple, but could really care less about them. It's all up to how you are brought up and raised.

MikeKerriii
07-28-2015, 02:12 AM
Just so there's no confusion, I am against banning guns too but guns are not toys and shouldn't ever be presented as such toy weapons have exited practically forever , or probably since sonny got a little version of Dad's fire pointed stick. toy swords exist from Mesopotamia. I think banning toy guns is "much ado about nothing" but human nature,