PDA

View Full Version : Quality of Life Question

jpeters
07-11-2015, 11:45 AM
Just wondering if anyone out there has run into a problem with the HVAC system breaking in the dorms. Here at base X one of our dorms has had the AC broken for about a month. The HVAC system is under warranty so our HVAC guys can't touch it or it will void the warranty. Next week sometime is the soonest the contractor will be able to come out. My concern is the temperatures in some of the rooms are mid to high 80s already and this weekend/next week the temperatures are going to be higher. Leadership knows but they aren't doing anything to help the dorm occupants. Does anyone have any place I can look to help these guys out?

Mjölnir
07-11-2015, 02:10 PM
Leadership knows but they aren't doing anything to help the dorm occupants.

Are you sure they are not doing anything or have all avenues in dealing with the contractor been exhausted? Case in point, we had a circuit outage that the Commander (4 star) directed be corrected immediately. The contract for support to that circuit did not have 24/7 or weekend support, so despite a 4-star getting excited about it, there was nothing that could be done to force the civilian provider to restore the circuit.

If your command leadership really threw their hands in the air a la "F-it it's Friday and I'm out" that should be addressed. I find that hard to think is the case but can't say it is impossible.

Does anyone have any place I can look to help these guys out?

If your own techs can't conduct maintenance on the AC, I would guess you cannot use TADTAR funds to put these guys in the TLQ so a couple of ideas:

-Can they temp move into another barracks with a functioning AC -- just take linens and a change of clothes etc? Maybe double up with folks? Have you talked to the barracks manager about empty rooms ... even from another unit?

-Do you have a stock of fans anywhere (we had them in the barracks in Cuba? Does the TLQ & would they be willing to loan you any?

-Airman relief society: can they spring for some fans?

Best of luck.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
07-11-2015, 03:26 PM
Just wondering if anyone out there has run into a problem with the HVAC system breaking in the dorms. Here at base X one of our dorms has had the AC broken for about a month. The HVAC system is under warranty so our HVAC guys can't touch it or it will void the warranty. Next week sometime is the soonest the contractor will be able to come out. My concern is the temperatures in some of the rooms are mid to high 80s already and this weekend/next week the temperatures are going to be higher. Leadership knows but they aren't doing anything to help the dorm occupants. Does anyone have any place I can look to help these guys out?

First go to the dorm manager to find out what can be done to keep you guys from burning up in your rooms. Also talk to your Chief or 1st Sgt and find out what they can do for you. If this was my squadron, I'd be in CE's business. I imagine your leadership would also be willing to take action.

garhkal
07-12-2015, 08:13 AM
Exactly. Bring this up to the Barracks manager, i am sure that they should be able to move some of the people around to rooms which DO have working AC>

SomeRandomGuy
07-12-2015, 03:20 PM

You won't find anything in any regulation. Honestly,if it is only 80s you probably won't even get sympathy from leadership. The only thing you can do is see if people would volunteer to house an airman for a few days. When they had massive flooding at Ellsworth a few years ago the shirts sent out emails asking if anyone could take in displaced people. One Airman replied all to volunteer his dorm room if any hot females needed a place. It didn't go over well.

jpeters
07-13-2015, 12:23 AM
You won't find anything in any regulation. Honestly,if it is only 80s you probably won't even get sympathy from leadership.

That's what happened. We got an email from the Command Chief telling everyone in that dorm to close their windows and go to another location on base with working AC, but that's all that was said to address the situation. The rooms ranged from 85-97.2 so far this weekend. The dorm managers know about the situation but aren't giving out any information. Besides putting in the work order they haven't done anything, they just tell you to call HVAC. We had a lot of people just go over and pay for rooms in lodging. The situation has been addressed with our Shirt. We've also got an email from the CE...which was basically a forward email from the Command Chief. Some people have given up on leadership helping with this and are sleeping at work or other places around base. It looks like a refugee camp around here now. There are people walking around with bags of clothes and other stuff for overnight bags.

retiredAFcivvy
07-13-2015, 06:19 PM
Since we don't know your location (might be some remote area where there isn't any manufacturer approved repairmen) I'm really surprised a company would let something like this linger that long. Generally the companies like to keep a good relationship with the the military. Do you know if CE has gotten the contracting office involved? Enforcement of warranty is a contracting responsibility.

SomeRandomGuy
07-13-2015, 06:53 PM
That's what happened. We got an email from the Command Chief telling everyone in that dorm to close their windows and go to another location on base with working AC, but that's all that was said to address the situation. The rooms ranged from 85-97.2 so far this weekend. The dorm managers know about the situation but aren't giving out any information. Besides putting in the work order they haven't done anything, they just tell you to call HVAC. We had a lot of people just go over and pay for rooms in lodging. The situation has been addressed with our Shirt. We've also got an email from the CE...which was basically a forward email from the Command Chief. Some people have given up on leadership helping with this and are sleeping at work or other places around base. It looks like a refugee camp around here now. There are people walking around with bags of clothes and other stuff for overnight bags.

Sounds about right. I'm surprised the Command Chief didn't come back with some story about how "in my day" we didn't even have A.C. in the dorms. Heck, he could have just told a story about some deployment he was on where it was over 100 degrees and they slept in tents. Kids these days have no idea how good they have it.

Rainmaker
07-13-2015, 07:05 PM
. The rooms ranged from 85-97.2

This is an emergency....It's So hot in the barracks that the Transgender's makeup is melting off!

LogDog
07-13-2015, 07:28 PM
Since we don't know your location (might be some remote area where there isn't any manufacturer approved repairmen) I'm really surprised a company would let something like this linger that long. Generally the companies like to keep a good relationship with the the military. Do you know if CE has gotten the contracting office involved? Enforcement of warranty is a contracting responsibility.
CE and the contracting office should be jumping up and down on the company's desk telling them to get someone out there now or risk loss of future business. At some point the HVAC will be fixed and your dorm manager should ask CE to put out a letter stating what will be done and how soon it will be fixed if the HVAC goes out again and it will be up to your dorm manager(s), First Shirts, and commanders to hold CE's feet to the fire to make sure they they're taking care of it. Also, the commanders whose troops are affected should be addressing the problem at Wing Commander's meetings to ensure he knows about it and to put additional pressure on the CE commander.

SomeRandomGuy
07-13-2015, 07:43 PM
CE and the contracting office should be jumping up and down on the company's desk telling them to get someone out there now or risk loss of future business. At some point the HVAC will be fixed and your dorm manager should ask CE to put out a letter stating what will be done and how soon it will be fixed if the HVAC goes out again and it will be up to your dorm manager(s), First Shirts, and commanders to hold CE's feet to the fire to make sure they they're taking care of it. Also, the commanders whose troops are affected should be addressing the problem at Wing Commander's meetings to ensure he knows about it and to put additional pressure on the CE commander.

I just re-read the original post. He said it has been broken for a month and the soonest they will come is next week? That is five weeks of downtime. What the hell kind of warranty is this and how much did it cost? Someone needs to take a look at the contract and see what the terms of the warranty are. It sounds to me like the contractor is in default and the government should threaten to recoup or withhold payment for the warranty.

UncaRastus
07-13-2015, 09:15 PM
What happens if there is a rapid recall for immediate deployment of a squadron, and the people are spread about to who knows where? Or doesn't the AF do rapid recalls for rapid deployment?

Oh, right. Everyone has cell phones now.

Not to say that anyone has it better nowadays, but my first deployment overseas for 13 months got me stuck into a room with E1s through E5s. 35 roommates. Bunkbeds. One of those old time iron radiators stuck between my rack and the wall, with about 10 inches clearance between my rack and the radiator.

That was OK. The radiator didn't work. The window above the radiator was missing panes of glass, but I couldn't put cardboard or anything in it, including glass, because it on the 'We'll get to it when we are ready' list.

No air conditioning, either, in that barracks.

I don't recall how hot it got there in the southern part of Honshu, but I do recall praying that I would go on guard duty pretty quickly, because when I did, that meant that I wouldn't be next to the window from hell, having moved temporarily to another squadbay in the same building. That room got as cold as Niflheim during the winter.

I do remember a blizzard while being stationed there.

And yes, I tried to repair the window, only to have the barracks sergeant tear my temporary fix down, since it wasn't to the USMC standards. Maybe it was just that Barracks sergeant didn't like anyone messing with his building?

I am not saying that anybody has it better now days. I wouldn't want any of you guys to have to live like that! Much less me, ever again.

BadBender
07-18-2015, 11:24 PM
There are a few things to consider. Is the CE unit military or contract? It could be a funding issue but for quality of life issues the dorms typically rank pretty high on the priority list, usually right behind mission critical buildings (control tower, airfield ops). Large dorm HVAC units can be hard to acquire and if broken may need to be ordered, manufactured, shipped and installed, depending what is wrong with it. The best thing for you to do is keep your chain of command informed.

technomage1
07-19-2015, 05:49 AM
My educated guess is the unit is under manufacturers warranty. So they're arranging for the manufacturer to come out and service the unit. This takes time. As such, its illegal for CE to touch it as such because they void the warranty. It sucks but that's the way it happens sometimes.

Buy a fan and open up the window. You will live. I grew up without A/C. It's not fun but doesn't make the place uninhabitable.

garhkal
07-19-2015, 06:11 AM
I just re-read the original post. He said it has been broken for a month and the soonest they will come is next week? That is five weeks of downtime. What the hell kind of warranty is this and how much did it cost? Someone needs to take a look at the contract and see what the terms of the warranty are. It sounds to me like the contractor is in default and the government should threaten to recoup or withhold payment for the warranty.

That assumes we actually would have contracting officers with some spine.