PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10

UncaRastus
07-10-2015, 02:35 PM
Good? Bad? What are your thoughts on the new platform?

I have seen that Windows 10 beta has been available. I am not sure if it is available to anybody, or if it is available to a small test crew.

I have finally gotten used to using Windows 8.1. Does anyone see any reason to want to switch out to 10?

Also, does anyone know about whether the new platform will be covered by any of the anti virus programs already being used if we do switch over?

LogDog
07-10-2015, 07:05 PM
Good? Bad? What are your thoughts on the new platform?

I have seen that Windows 10 beta has been available. I am not sure if it is available to anybody, or if it is available to a small test crew.

I have finally gotten used to using Windows 8.1. Does anyone see any reason to want to switch out to 10?

Also, does anyone know about whether the new platform will be covered by any of the anti virus programs already being used if we do switch over?
Windows 10 will start rolling out to users at the end of July. The first ones to get it will be those who signed up to be Window's Insiders. They are usually tech savvy and if there are any problems they'll be the first to report it.

I follow the advice of Kim Komando most things dealing with computers and she thinks Windows 10 will be better than Windows 8 and 8.1. Of all the advice on recommending computer programs she hasn't let me down. If you've installed updates to your Windows 8.1 then you'll most likely be automatically be getting the Windows 10 installed automatically. There are seven features that you'll likely lose and you can view them at the this link: http://www.komando.com/happening-now/310826/windows-10-worries-7-things-that-wont-work-after-you-upgrade/all

UncaRastus
07-10-2015, 09:27 PM
LogDog,

Thanks for the info!

I received something in my email about reserving a copy of Windows 10 about a week ago, and a few days ago, I received word that it will be downloaded automatically, and that they will send me a notification for when it is ready to install.

I have read the Kim Komando entry on Windows 10. I hope that it is as good as I am led to believe.

On the other hand, after finally becoming Windows 8.1 savvy, I do wonder if it'll be worth the trade.

garhkal
07-11-2015, 03:47 AM
Windows 10 will start rolling out to users at the end of July. The first ones to get it will be those who signed up to be Window's Insiders. They are usually tech savvy and if there are any problems they'll be the first to report it.

I follow the advice of Kim Komando most things dealing with computers and she thinks Windows 10 will be better than Windows 8 and 8.1. Of all the advice on recommending computer programs she hasn't let me down. If you've installed updates to your Windows 8.1 then you'll most likely be automatically be getting the Windows 10 installed automatically. There are seven features that you'll likely lose and you can view them at the this link: http://www.komando.com/happening-now/310826/windows-10-worries-7-things-that-wont-work-after-you-upgrade/all

I hope they don't automatically force that update on me. It was bad enough after they did the 8.1 forced update..

If so, i just might have to turn off my automatic update feature again, and go back to "Notify me of any update to install..

LogDog
07-11-2015, 04:19 AM
I hope they don't automatically force that update on me. It was bad enough after they did the 8.1 forced update..

If so, i just might have to turn off my automatic update feature again, and go back to "Notify me of any update to install..
I'd suggest you turnoff your automatic update feature. If you get a notification of "additional updates" then chances are one of those updates is to automatically update you to Windows 10. Before updating any file, check to see if this file is one of them: KB3035583. That is the file to automatically update you to Windows 10. If you've already updated this file you can uninstall it by going to your Control Panel, Under Windows Update, click "View installed updates. Find KB3035583, right click it and then click uninstall.

Bos Mutus
07-11-2015, 08:01 AM

I heard that updating to windows 10 makes you gay....not validated, but better safe than sorry

I'm pretty sure it's a liberal thing either way

Mjölnir
07-11-2015, 01:13 PM
I heard that updating to windows 10 makes you gay....not validated, but better safe than sorry

I update once a year just to see if I like it ... wait ... what?

UncaRastus
07-11-2015, 03:49 PM
I shall be the experimental hamster for y'all. When the time comes, if I don't survive this new thing, tell my wife that I loved her.

Also, tell her that the rack of clickers are not just toys, after all, but that they are actually there to activate the claymore anti personnel mines that I have have emplaced and camoed up in the front yard.

Thank y'all in advance, brahs!

PS It would be nice if you could tell her not to mess with the garden elves that I have placed strategically.

UncaRastus
07-11-2015, 04:08 PM
Here is what was emailed to me on Windows 10 from Microsoft:

"Windows will automatically take care of the download in advance. Then you’ll get a notification when your upgrade is ready to install. That way you can start using Windows 10 immediately – or schedule a time to install that’s convenient for you."

So, it does sound as if I will have the choice as to when or whether I want to install. I do believe that I will wait a couple of weeks, to see if there are any complaints as to the usage thereof.

Mjölnir
07-11-2015, 04:44 PM
Be sure to create a restore point on your computer BEFORE you upgrade ...

just sayin'

UncaRastus
07-11-2015, 05:42 PM
Mjölnir,

What is this 'restore point'? Where may I purchase one?

Do I just pour a restore point into my laptop? When I tried to pour my anti virus into my laptop, it seemed that I must have purchased the wrong anti virus CD, which I did boil down into soup for installation.

I had to get a new laptop.

Do you know how long it takes to boil a CD until it is ready? No, really. I must have boiled it for too short a period of time.

And what is it with the 'hotspots' that one can get from electronic aisles?

I purchased one, and I have yet to see any babes approaching my house.

Oh, and don't try to make your computer run faster by putting a time flattened dead gopher into your DVD tray, at midnight, then run the DVDed gopher. That causes many problems, also.

Yeah. A friend told me that. Yes. A friend.

My friend had to buy a new computer. It seems af it smelled up my, oops, I mean my friend's house badly.

And don't worry. I have looked at my keyboard, and I didn't see an 'install' key, anyhow.

garhkal
07-12-2015, 07:20 AM
I'd suggest you turnoff your automatic update feature. If you get a notification of "additional updates" then chances are one of those updates is to automatically update you to Windows 10. Before updating any file, check to see if this file is one of them: KB3035583. That is the file to automatically update you to Windows 10. If you've already updated this file you can uninstall it by going to your Control Panel, Under Windows Update, click "View installed updates. Find KB3035583, right click it and then click uninstall.

Thanks for the heads up on which update i need to remove to stop the automatic forced migration to WIN10.
I have also gone back to "Check for updates but ask me before downloading and installing them".

Here is what was emailed to me on Windows 10 from Microsoft:

"Windows will automatically take care of the download in advance. Then you’ll get a notification when your upgrade is ready to install. That way you can start using Windows 10 immediately – or schedule a time to install that’s convenient for you."

So, it does sound as if I will have the choice as to when or whether I want to install. I do believe that I will wait a couple of weeks, to see if there are any complaints as to the usage thereof.

Supposedly the same thing was done with the win 8.1 from 8.0 update. Eventually though it just force updated itself..

Be sure to create a restore point on your computer BEFORE you upgrade ...

just sayin'

Will do.
Heck from now on, i will do a restore point every other week.

UncaRastus
08-06-2015, 04:33 PM
Windows 10. Installed. Up and running.

Right now, I am still using Chrome, although the wonks seem to be pushing Edge.

So far, no problems. Give me a day or two, and I may be using this laptop as my backyard target for shooting.

Coming from 8.1, this seems to be a better system. Seems being the operative word, for now.

As to something that was bothering me?

It wouldn't install, using the normal way of installation. I had to go to a different route with the laptop.

Normal way? It seemed as if the updates for Microwave kept failing for Windows 10. I had to go Search, type in explorer, then find Windows 10 in the offerings column. After that, it was about as easy as could be.

It does take awhile. About 1 1/2 hour on my laptop.

Tomorrow, I will offer an update on whether it was worth doing.

Remember, I am about as proficient at computers as I am at knitting yogurt. So, if anyone asks any questions about anything deeper than punching a few keys, good luck. I will report on the usability by the general population. I can't offer any geektalk.

garhkal
08-07-2015, 04:55 AM
I have heard it mentioned (elsewhere) that sometime possibly as soon as next year, it won't matter if you WANT the upgrade or not, MS will push it out. Sort of a "we tried using Carrots, now we will use the Stick".
Part of that stick, is that they will (supposedly) no longer DO any more security updates for Win 8.1...

MikeKerriii
08-07-2015, 01:29 PM
I have heard it mentioned (elsewhere) that sometime possibly as soon as next year, it won't matter if you WANT the upgrade or not, MS will push it out. Sort of a "we tried using Carrots, now we will use the Stick".
Part of that stick, is that they will (supposedly) no longer DO any more security updates for Win 8.1...

From what I understand they are g just going to stop supporting upgradable versions 7-8.1 early not forcing upgrades. I have now upgraded all three PCs in the house and am very glad I did, especially the low-end laptop that now seems to run much faster

garhkal
08-07-2015, 01:41 PM
From what I understand they are g just going to stop supporting upgradable versions 7-8.1 early not forcing upgrades. I have now upgraded all three PCs in the house and am very glad I did, especially the low-end laptop that now seems to run much faster

But if they no longer support those 'platforms' with security updates, how can that NOT be seen as a covert way of forcing you to upgrade..?

UncaRastus
08-07-2015, 02:37 PM
My 1 day experience with Windows 10;

It has speeded up my computer. Very much speeded it up.

I can use either Edge or Chrome. I have stuck with Chrome, for now.

It seems to use much less of the C drive. This laptop went from about 1/4 to 1/10th being used by 10 and other stuff. That is for now. With strange cookies, downloads, etc, I expect it to use more of C.

Being a non geek, 10 is about as simple as breathing.

Kaspersky has as of yet to become fully 10 covering.

Cortana does answer some questions, but refers other questions to Bing, on Edge, which runs alongside of Chrome.

Some questions, Cortana seems to convey a sense of humor. When I asked 'her' what 'her' age is (trying to see if 'she' could even answer something like that), she answered with, "That is kind of tricky. I'm not sure how to carbon date the internet."

I put some pictures into this laptop, and I couldn't find or retrieve them with the 8.1. Not all of my pics, just some seemed to disappear. With 10, all of my pictures are retrievable.

The start section is back, lower left part of the screen. In that section, it is much less time consuming, to access different programs than using 8 or 8.1.

I never did get all that comfortable with 8. 8.1 was an improvement, but still, it was still 8 with a few improvements. Not enough for me to sit back and think that it was that great an improvement.

All that being said, and me being a non geek, 8 was kind of trashy, and 8.1 was 8 with a little lipstick applied.

10 is just way more user friendly.

And having Cortana here, I sit down, say good morning to 'her', and 'she' answers back with a nice friendly, "Good morning to you too!"

Much better than sitting here, cursing my computer every morning.

If anything new pops up at me, I will continue this report on 10s usability and functioning as time goes by.

MikeK? You mentioned that you upgraded your computers. You did a 10 upgrade, I take it? If I may ask, what kind of anti virus do you use? Is it 100% compatible with the 10? Thanks for whatever you may bring to this thread!

Bos Mutus
08-07-2015, 02:59 PM

It seems to use much less of the C drive. This laptop went from about 1/4 to 1/10th being used by 10 and other stuff. That is for now. With strange cookies, downloads, etc, I expect it to use more of C.

Cortana does answer some questions, but refers other questions to Bing, on Edge, which runs alongside of Chrome.

Some questions, Cortana seems to convey a sense of humor. When I asked 'her' what 'her' age is (trying to see if 'she' could even answer something like that), she answered with, "That is kind of tricky. I'm not sure how to carbon date the internet."

I put some pictures into this laptop, and I couldn't find or retrieve them with the 8.1. Not all of my pics, just some seemed to disappear. With 10, all of my pictures are retrievable.

The start section is back, lower left part of the screen. In that section, it is much less time consuming, to access different programs than using 8 or 8.1.

I never did get all that comfortable with 8. 8.1 was an improvement, but still, it was still 8 with a few improvements. Not enough for me to sit back and think that it was that great an improvement.

All that being said, and me being a non geek, 8 was kind of trashy, and 8.1 was 8 with a little lipstick applied.

And having Cortana here, I sit down, say good morning to 'her', and 'she' answers back with a nice friendly, "Good morning to you too!"

If anything new pops up at me, I will continue this report on 10s usability and functioning as time goes by.

MikeK? You mentioned that you upgraded your computers. You did a 10 upgrade, I take it? If I may ask, what kind of anti virus do you use? Is it 100% compatible with the 10? Thanks for whatever you may bring to this thread!

I've had 10 for a few days now...so far so good.

I use Avast! antivirus...seems to still be working.

UncaRastus
08-07-2015, 03:12 PM
Bos,

I have tried AVG. McAfee. Norton. Kaspersky. So far, Kaspersky seems to be the best of that lot.

On the other hand, Norton and Kaspersky are of Russian origin. I am kind of leery about using Russian based anti virus platforms. Call me old fashioned.

With the Russian Federation being sometimes at odds with the USA, who know what might happen, someday?

Thanks for the input, Bos! I am just looking for an anti virus that won't be slowing down my laptop, but still holds up to a high standard of effectiveness. Being a non geek, and seeing those advertisements on TV, I don't know what to believe, anymore.

Oh, and my Kaspersky does seem to be working, but I did get a notice that it wasn't as of yet fully covering 10. Maybe that'll work out.

Bos Mutus
08-07-2015, 03:16 PM
Bos,

I have tried AVG. McAfee. Norton. Kaspersky. So far, Kaspersky seems to be the best of that lot.

On the other hand, Norton and Kaspersky are of Russian origin. I am kind of leery about using Russian based anti virus platforms. Call me old fashioned.

With the Russian Federation being sometimes at odds with the USA, who know what might happen, someday?

Thanks for the input, Bos! I am just looking for an anti virus that won't be slowing down my laptop, but still holds up to a high standard of effectiveness. Being a non geek, and seeing those advertisements on TV, I don't know what to believe, anymore.

Oh, and my Kaspersky does seem to be working, but I did get a notice that it wasn't as of yet fully covering 10. Maybe that'll work out.

I've used McAfee and Norton before...it's been awhile, but I seem to remember them constantly bugging you to upgrade to a higher version...and never being able to get them off the computer if you go in another direction...then they constantly pop up warning you that the world is gonna end of you don't send them 39.99...

I'm pretty sure Norton has a basement operation of guys who write and distribute viruses that their legit department can then protect you from.

UncaRastus
08-07-2015, 03:30 PM
Bos,

McAfee kept on harping at me, until I consigned their email notifications to junk mail. Norton never said a word, but switching to Kaspersky might have been a 'Well, he IS using a product from the other half of our company, so let's not bother him,' kind of thing.

AVG was good, in the beginning. Then it just slowly began to become more and more of a 'Let's slow this bad boy down' kind of thing.

Right now, I am being being held on the tip of a Russian sword, kind of, sort of. I like Kaspersky. But for how long? I have been using it for a year and a half, so far.

The real thing that is bothering me is if Cortana starts speaking with a Russian accent ... ;)

Not really.

Rainmaker
08-07-2015, 03:57 PM
Bos,

The real thing that is bothering me is if Cortana starts speaking with a Russian accent ... ;)

Not really.

Windows 10 should be renamed to "The Big Brother Spyware OS" brought to you by our Industry partner, Micro$$oft.

Why do you think they called it "Windows" in the first place?

UncaRastus
08-07-2015, 04:21 PM
Rainmaker,

Yes. It is.

Luckily for me, there has never been any unscrupulous doings from here.

And if you think that the government doesn't have some kind of 'spyware' implanted on your computer, I think that you have really underrated the government in it's Big Brotherness. No matter how well you may think that the platform that you are using is government proof, I congratulate you on your Pollyanna view.

No matter what the company that sold you your platform may have promised you, I am pretty sure that you are being tracked, watched, whatever, even if whatever you say online might be innocuous.

Or maybe you don't believe in the government's inherent lockdown on everybody? Maybe you have a bullet proof encryption system. Maybe.

Good luck on all of that.

See? I am with you on the 'Don't Tread on Me' thing!

Of course, I may be wrong, and the government has no interest in whatever we do. There is always that scenario.

Am I right? Can I get an amen?

Absinthe Anecdote
08-07-2015, 04:37 PM
Rainmaker,

Yes. It is.

And if you think that the government doesn't have some kind of 'spyware' implanted on your computer, I think that you have really underrated the government in it's Big Brotherness. No matter how well you may think that the platform that you are using is government proof, I congratulate you on your Pollyanna view.

No matter what the company that sold you your platform may have promised you, I am pretty sure that you are being tracked, watched, whatever, even if whatever you say online might be innocuous.

Or maybe you don't believe in the government's inherent lockdown on everybody? Maybe you have a bullet proof encryption system. Maybe.

Good luck on all of that.

See? I am with you on the 'Don't Tread on Me' thing!

Of course, I may be wrong, and the government has no interest in whatever we do. There is always that scenario.

What the hell are you doing that the government would even care about?

UncaRastus
08-07-2015, 04:41 PM
Recording whatever is not like it's very interesting. At least not from here. Unless the government is interested in my request for 'thermonuclear triggering devices for sale'.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-07-2015, 04:52 PM
Recording whatever is not like it's very interesting. At least not from here. Unless the government is interested in my request for 'thermonuclear triggering devices for sale'.

You don't need a nuke. Do like Rainmaker does and carry a hand-me-down .38 from the 1950's and then brag about how you are packing heat.

You'll be badder than Leroy Brown and a legend in your own mind.

Bos Mutus
08-07-2015, 04:54 PM
Windows 10 should be renamed to "The Big Brother Spyware OS" brought to you by our Industry partner, Micro$$oft.

Why do you think they called it "Windows" in the first place?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/messages-from-pope-francis/9wzdncrcs4ml

UncaRastus
08-07-2015, 05:02 PM
AA,

I carry hand grenades, disguised as baseballs.

Collateral damage? What collateral damage? Pshaw ...

Rainmaker
08-07-2015, 05:14 PM
Rainmaker,

Yes. It is.

Stalin didn't care if what people did was unscrupulous or not.

I'd say you're right. AMEN.

and Personally, I'd be more concerned about the internationally owned corporations misusing/abusing our information than the government.

But, The point is that unless the government has probable cause, to collect everyone's information, then it should be none of the government's business either.

For the same reason the post office can't read your mail just because, they delivered it.

You basically can't conduct any business in this country today without using a computer.

But, In order to do that you have to consent to giving up your 4th amendment rights. By agreeing to 45 pages of BS terms and conditions . Saying they can steal your information and then give it to whoever they please.

A government treating all of its Citizen's as if they're potential terrorists is UnAmerican.

A government that allows a cartel of mega corporations to abuse its Citizen's is also UnAmerican

MikeKerriii
08-07-2015, 05:18 PM

I did the Windows 10 upgrade on all three computers, it went flawlessly much to my surprise. The first really smooth install I have done since Window 2.0

I use AVG free for anti-virus, I have been using it for years and it has not let me down

LogDog
08-07-2015, 06:14 PM
Kaspersky is coming out with a patch to support Windows 10 in early September.

Agree. The start section (windows icon) you reference in the lower left allow you to access apps and programs. I have a "house" icon in the middle of my task bar that is listed as the "Start Menu." It's also show in the start menu you mentioned but having it on the task bar saves me a step. I prefer the "house" icon over the "windows" icon.

Windows 8 and 8.1 was a pain in the butt. The thing I hated most about it was if you moved the cursor to too far to the right edge of the screen the Windows menu, with all your programs, come up.

Rainmaker
08-07-2015, 07:28 PM
I did the Windows 10 upgrade on all three computers, it went flawlessly much to my surprise. The first really smooth install I have done since Window 2.0

Well Done Mike... And, I know that we sometimes give you a hard time on here about your atrocious typing.

But, we probably don't say it enough..... it really is remarkable that a blind deaf-mute (that's lacking opposable thumbs) is even able to load the operating system.

Folks, It just goes to show you, Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve.

garhkal
08-08-2015, 06:34 AM
Bos,

On the other hand, Norton and Kaspersky are of Russian origin. I am kind of leery about using Russian based anti virus platforms. Call me old fashioned..

Nornton is russian based/owned?? Never knew that.

UncaRastus
08-08-2015, 03:09 PM
I may has misspoken about Norton. Sorry about that. I was informed awhile ago that Kaspersky and Norton were owned by Russians. Kaspersky is Russian. Norton, not Russian.

If you want to read something interesting, read up on Symantec, the Chinese company that did some strange things, who does Norton, but was handed off to later ownership.

MikeKerriii
08-08-2015, 06:45 PM
But if they no longer support those 'platforms' with security updates, how can that NOT be seen as a covert way of forcing you to upgrade..?

Nothing covert about it. Public announcements are not attempts to be convert.

Supporting the older systems cost them money the publicly admit that they don't want to do so anymore. The free upgrade frees them form the responsibility to do so. this is a business decision and Microsoft is amazing upfront about their reasons for making it. The don't want to pay for supporting three systems when they can support one.

Why would you not want to upgrade? It is a far better system than 7-8.1

garhkal
08-08-2015, 08:52 PM
Nothing covert about it. Public announcements are not attempts to be convert.

Supporting the older systems cost them money the publicly admit that they don't want to do so anymore. The free upgrade frees them form the responsibility to do so. this is a business decision and Microsoft is amazing upfront about their reasons for making it. The don't want to pay for supporting three systems when they can support one.

Why would you not want to upgrade? It is a far better system than 7-8.1

Cause it has been barely a year since i got forced to update to 8.1 (the new laptop i had to buy had 8.0 on).

MikeKerriii
08-09-2015, 03:29 AM
Cause it has been barely a year since i got forced to update to 8.1 (the new laptop i had to buy had 8.0 on).

So what? It is a good upgrade and your laptop will work far better after it is installed and it costs absolutely nothing. Why complain about getting something better for free?

Would you please explain the covert comment? I can't see what was covert about this

INGUARD
08-09-2015, 11:28 AM
If the upgrade has not hit your machine, you can always download Win 10 direct at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 I did it on my computers. I kept one with Windows 8, just in case. But here is the link if you want to revert.

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/dont-like-windows-10-heres-how-to-get-rid-of-it-11363996318375

UncaRastus
08-09-2015, 12:59 PM
Let me put it this way. 8.0 was such a flop that they had to come up with a semi fix for it. 8.1 is better than 8, true. But 10, so far, has taken the 8.1 and done a pretty big improvement on that.

As to whether MSN can spy on us, there is a box to check on whether you do or don't want to have your stuff recorded to Cloud. That being said, Cloud, at least for me, contains only Documents, Pictures, and Public.

I am not a compugeek. Getting around on 8 or 8.1 almost drove me to heroin use. 10 is much more user friendly.

Now excuse me. Cortana and I are about to get busy, picking out the place for our honeymoon. Please don't tell the wife. Angie just wouldn't understand. ;)

I guess that maybe I should call Raj Koothrappali for advice.

garhkal
08-09-2015, 06:43 PM
S
Would you please explain the covert comment? I can't see what was covert about this

When a company says "we just got this newer product out, less than a year after the last one, its better so we just won't bother supporting it any more' that to be is covert coercion to FORCE you into buying/getting the new product.

What ever happened to keeping something till it wore out?

MikeKerriii
08-09-2015, 07:02 PM
When a company says "we just got this newer product out, less than a year after the last one, its better so we just won't bother supporting it any more' that to be is covert coercion to FORCE you into buying/getting the new product.

What ever happened to keeping something till it wore out? Again you don't seem have any understanding about what the word Covert means. there is nothing covert happening here it is all in the open

. the sold a faulty product and are now replacing that product with a better one. Microsoft will let you keep your POS operating system if you choose to do so, but you can't expect them to pay the support costs for the very few that chose to do so. They are supporting 7, 8.0 and 8.1 users by offering the a fix, if you choose not to accept that fix is is your problem not theirs.

What about keeping things until they wore out, If that was the case many of US would be using 8-bit MS_DOS machines running MS-dos 3.1 or so. There is no waste to replacing software we will not be running out of ones and zeros any time soon. Even the electricity involved in the upgrade would probably not round up to a nickle.

UncaRastus
08-09-2015, 08:50 PM
garhkal,

The first day that I tried to use 8 and 8.1, my patience was worn out. It's not really like it's a 10, it's like 8.2 on nice steroids. Or maybe an 8.9 with a extra shot of user friendliness.

8 was bad. 8.1 was a bit better. Still not that user friendly. 10 is 8 + what it should have been in the first place.

hustonj
08-10-2015, 02:08 PM
What ever happened to keeping something till it wore out?

Back in the old days, people didn't BUY a software license, they leased it. Microsoft has been quite clear they want to return to that model.

Under that model, when your software provider had a release patch, you HAD to accept and install the patch when they told you to, unless you paid them extra for custom support in order to allow you to make the decisions about when your applications could survive the patch. If there was an experimental patch, you could choose to test it or not. Sound familiar?

Purchased licenses solved a couple of issues that aren't really problems for Microsoft at this point. Inability to track all of their customers (when the company was basically two guys selling punched tape copies of a language compiler), which is a hard requirement if you are going to impose patches on them. Lack of an accounts receivable process, which is a hard requirement if you're going to be billing people on a recurring basis. Today's resistance to the old model is far more customer based, as the customers have developed this pesky notion that they OWN their copy of the software . . ..

There's nothing new under the sun, right? Old mainframe software was the first ransom-ware, since if you failed to renew your leased license, it stopped working. Your business got to deal with the cost of losing access to the software (even the mainframe OS) if you didn't pay the annual ransom, err, licensing fees.

UncaRastus
08-10-2015, 02:51 PM
hustonj,

Thank you very much! At last, you have explained that which I had largely ignored, probably because if there is a bunch of legalistic terms, I, like so many, go to the bottom of that, and click accept.

Now, you seem to be computer savvy, much more than most. Have you switched to 10? If so, have you found any problems with 10 programming?

If not, if you will, what prompted you not to grab onto your nose and step off of the high dive board, to download Windows 10?

And to the rest of the members (Rainmaker, et al.), there is a way of getting something to not have the spying eyes on their computer, using the new Windows 10. Different ways, but go to Google, type in Windows 10 disable spying. Then do what you want to do.

This is one of the sites:

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/How-Stop-Windows-10-From-Spying-You-75467.html

MikeKerriii
08-10-2015, 03:32 PM
Back in the old days, people didn't BUY a software license, they leased it. Microsoft has been quite clear they want to return to that model.

Under that model, when your software provider had a release patch, you HAD to accept and install the patch when they told you to, unless you paid them extra for custom support in order to allow you to make the decisions about when your applications could survive the patch. If there was an experimental patch, you could choose to test it or not. Sound familiar?

Purchased licenses solved a couple of issues that aren't really problems for Microsoft at this point. Inability to track all of their customers (when the company was basically two guys selling punched tape copies of a language compiler), which is a hard requirement if you are going to impose patches on them. Lack of an accounts receivable process, which is a hard requirement if you're going to be billing people on a recurring basis. Today's resistance to the old model is far more customer based, as the customers have developed this pesky notion that they OWN their copy of the software . . ..

There's nothing new under the sun, right? Old mainframe software was the first ransom-ware, since if you failed to renew your leased license, it stopped working. Your business got to deal with the cost of losing access to the software (even the mainframe OS) if you didn't pay the annual ransom, err, licensing fees.

You have never been able to buy more than a license to use for any Microsoft OS.

garhkal
08-10-2015, 06:22 PM
Again you don't seem have any understanding about what the word Covert means. there is nothing covert happening here it is all in the open

Overt then...

the sold a faulty product and are now replacing that product with a better one. Microsoft will let you keep your POS operating system if you choose to do so, but you can't expect them to pay the support costs for the very few that chose to do so. They are supporting 7, 8.0 and 8.1 users by offering the a fix, if you choose not to accept that fix is is your problem not theirs.

With all the privacy setting chop ups i see mentioned about elsewhere, i will gladly stay with 8.1 Though i would have preferred to keep XP (at least IT recognizes most of the games i have)..

hustonj
08-10-2015, 08:58 PM
You have never been able to buy more than a license to use for any Microsoft OS.

Where did I claim otherwise? Where I said the customer base had developed this notion that . . ? That's not a claim otherwise. It is a reflection of the difference between common perceptions and reality.

hustonj
08-10-2015, 09:04 PM
Now, you seem to be computer savvy, much more than most. Have you switched to 10?

Nope. The only reason I have to switch from 7 is as other software that I want to use becomes available in versions that don't support 7 anymore, and the old versions go unsupported. Since my box is basically towards the end of expected life already, I'll end up switching when I buy a replacement, to whichever is available (and compatible with the other software I want to run).

I don't like being the product to be sold. I'll avoid becoming the product while I can, and will minimize my footprint as product once I fall into the trap. Ain't nuthin' free.