PDA

View Full Version : Phone call from someone that'll help fix my wife's computer!

UncaRastus
07-02-2015, 08:07 PM
My wife just got a telephone call from a landline caller that claimed that my wife's computer IP was being dinged by some hackers. "I will help you to get rid of those hackers. Are you sitting in front of your computer?"

Yes, she was. He asked,"So then, why didn't we get started?"

In the meantime, I was busy checking out the incoming call landline phone number on my laptop. I had typed in his telephone number and I found out that this call was from Seagate Auto Brokers, Inc., located in North Miami.

When my wife asked this heavily accented male voice if he could present her with any ID info over the phone, he stated that "I have your IP right in front of me, so why don't we get started?"

This guy is persistent, I would guess.

When she then asked him to tell her what her IP was, the line went dead.

Do you suppose that there was some kind of a storm induced break in the landline communications? I so want to get this guy to help us to insure that no bad guys could be getting into our computers, you know.

That's OK. I have his telephone number right in front of me. You can all get help by calling 1 305-999-9920.

A call to the North Miami Police Department may be the wise thing to do, also.

Just sayin'.

Mjölnir
07-02-2015, 08:27 PM
http://www.terrariaonline.com/attachments/seems-legit-jpg.130414/

LogDog
07-02-2015, 11:02 PM
I've had these clowns call me before and sometimes I'll play along and ask where they're calling from. I'll enter their city into the weather.com and ask them what the weather there is like. Regardless of their answer I tell them that's not what it is outside there. Either they try to continue or hang up. If they continue then I'll tell them they should get a real job and stop trying to scam people and then I'll hang up.

Lately, what I've been thinking of doing is when the call I'll tell them "Just a moment." Then I'll put my lightly cover the phone and say in a loud voice "I've got one!. Start the trace!"
I'll come back and let them talk and then ask them to hold for a second and then ask "Do you have their location?" I'll go back to them and let them go for a couple of minutes and then ask them to hold for a second and say "Contact the local police and our rapid response team to their location." Then I'll wait to see what they say/do.

Bos Mutus
07-02-2015, 11:07 PM
I've had these clowns call me before and sometimes I'll play along and ask where they're calling from. I'll enter their city into the weather.com and ask them what the weather there is like. Regardless of their answer I tell them that's not what it is outside there. Either they try to continue or hang up. If they continue then I'll tell them they should get a real job and stop trying to scam people and then I'll hang up.

Lately, what I've been thinking of doing is when the call I'll tell them "Just a moment." Then I'll put my lightly cover the phone and say in a loud voice "I've got one!. Start the trace!"
I'll come back and let them talk and then ask them to hold for a second and then ask "Do you have their location?" I'll go back to them and let them go for a couple of minutes and then ask them to hold for a second and say "Contact the local police and our rapid response team to their location." Then I'll wait to see what they say/do.

I tune the TV to a Spanish-language novella and put the phone in front of it.

Most of these callers don't speak English well enough to really understand if they are hearing an accent or a foreign language...and the novelas have enough dramatic pauses to keep them thinking they are having a conversation without really understanding what the guy is saying.