PDA

View Full Version : New Navy-Marine working group will unleash the F-35's full power

Mjölnir
06-28-2015, 02:05 AM
Marine Corps Times: http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story/military/americas%20military/2015/06/26/marine-working-group-will-probe-transformational-power-f35/29288931/

In one of his final efforts as commandant of the Marine Corps, Gen. Joseph Dunford is working to ensure the Marines' new joint strike fighter achieves its full potential.

Dunford said the F-35B, set to reach initial operational capability for the Marine Corps this summer, had the power to transform Marine operations beyond its function as a cutting-edge new aircraft. He made the comments in a speech at a Washington event hosted by the Congressional Shipbuilding Caucus.

By this fall, Dunford said, a Marine general and a Navy flag officer would convene to form a working group with subject-matter experts to explore ways the fighter could better help the Corps to project power from the sea and to collaborate with Navy counterparts.

UncaRastus
06-29-2015, 02:45 PM
Last year when I was out to the Beaufort SC area for a couple of weeks, my wife and I went onto the MCAS to use the PX. While aboard the Marine Corps Air Station, we went to the flightline, to check out if there were any F35s parked there, or being used.

We got to see a squadron of them all parked out at one end of a hangar.

Seeing as there was a guard nearby, and having been warned about no cameras being allowed to be used on the flightline, we decided that taking pictures would have been imprudent.

What would have been better is if they were all taking off or landing! I hope that next time we see them, they are all being used for training, instead of gathering dust.

Our hotel room was right across some swampland from the runway. We heard many aircraft taking off and landing. Seeing as how we were at the Hunting Island beach during the day, we didn't get to see much of anything, during the days we were there.