PDA

View Full Version : Woman in florida arrested cause she wanted to live off the grid??

garhkal
06-16-2015, 07:58 PM
Someone brought this to my attention in a chat about people who live the 'preppers lifestyle'..
I am surprised its the first time i am even hearing about it..

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/24790572/cape-woman-living-of-the-grid-challenged-by-city#.VYB9FuHCZk4

In this article, the court (well a special magistrate) ruled though she was not guilty of breaking any laws concerning living off the grid for sewage or power, she Was guilty of not using 'approved water sources'.

http://offgridsurvival.com/evicted-for-living-off-the-grid/

This site mentions that its not just in Florida this is happening. Almost sounds to me like since these people are living off the grid, the state can't hit them up for taxes etc FOR the grid's usage, that's why they are going after them..

http://www.offthegridnews.com/current-events/florida-city-evicting-woman-for-living-off-the-grid/

This link made it sound like cause she spoke out to the news about her success in living off the grid, that she got targeted. Which if is true, is imo outlandish as heck.

http://www.wnd.com/2014/03/battle-escalates-over-woman-living-off-grid/

This link makes mention that cases like Ms Speroni's are getting more common place, and remind the article writer of the old colonial days, where one didn't have much rights IN YOUR OWN homes..

SO what say you all?

UncaRastus
06-17-2015, 01:08 PM
I watched a few TV shows with preppers being what the shows were about. On some of them, the preppers stated that they were not only prepared for a collapse of the USA's gov't, zombies, etc, some of them are also prepared to move off of their compounds, to raid other people, either regular people or compounds, to gain foodstuffs, etc..

I don't think that all of the preppers have raiding in their plans, but be aware that some of them do indeed have raiding as part of their survival plans.

I have my motor scooter with extra tankage for raiding other people's cars for gasoline. I am thinking about copying Mad Max, at least from his old movies, right down to having my wife scouting for me in a wacky little gyro copter!

Mjölnir
06-17-2015, 03:04 PM
I could see the point of mandating being at least connected to city water, sewage etc. when living in the city (limits) of a particular municipality; for purposes of maintaining minimum levels of sanitary living conditions. Whether a home owner used the services would lessen their cost.

I have heard of this done in more rural areas which I think is asinine; have never heard of it done in truly remote areas.

Ironically, I live on 6 acres a rural part of MD (very blue state) and they have no requirement for me to be on city water, sewer or electrical. We have a well and septic, but do connect to the power grid.

garhkal
06-17-2015, 07:19 PM
My whole 'head scratching' is you would think municipalities would be all FOR more people moving off the grid, so as to lessen the strain on their resources.

efmbman
06-18-2015, 01:17 AM
My whole 'head scratching' is you would think municipalities would be all FOR more people moving off the grid, so as to lessen the strain on their resources.

I think those municipalities are more concerned about fees and revenue than strains. In fact, the more strain on their resources they can quantify the more they can raise fees to improve the infrastructure. At least that's what they claim when the fees go up.

garhkal
06-18-2015, 08:39 PM
I think those municipalities are more concerned about fees and revenue than strains. In fact, the more strain on their resources they can quantify the more they can raise fees to improve the infrastructure. At least that's what they claim when the fees go up.

Very true. They do always seem to raise the fee's to help "Pay for needed Infrastructure improvements", but you never SEE any of those improvements.

Bos Mutus
06-18-2015, 08:51 PM
Very true. They do always seem to raise the fee's to help "Pay for needed Infrastructure improvements", but you never SEE any of those improvements.

You are so full of shit.

Really? You never see road work, bridge work, school improvements, electrical improvements, sewer work, new police vehicles, fire vehicles...you never see any of that?

Maybe try going to a city council meeting and listen in....maybe go meet some of these people "in government" and learn that they aren't all evil liberals out to control you, that they actually do shit that you count on every day....maybe go try to hold a spot yourself and see what it takes to keep a town or city running...

What improvements are you expecting that you don't see? Do you have running water at your house? Electricity? Natural Gas maybe? How do you think it gets there and stays there?

garhkal
06-19-2015, 06:06 AM
You are so full of shit.

Really? You never see road work, bridge work, school improvements, electrical improvements, sewer work, new police vehicles, fire vehicles...you never see any of that?

What improvements are you expecting that you don't see? Do you have running water at your house? Electricity? Natural Gas maybe? How do you think it gets there and stays there?

Work. YES to replace stuff that breaks. Rarely to improve them.

Bos Mutus
06-19-2015, 02:18 PM
Work. YES to replace stuff that breaks. Rarely to improve them.

So your city, town..or wherever you live is still using 1970s technology? 1960s? 1980s? You live in Columbus? I bet if I googled it I could find you many improvements Columbus has made...but you can do that instead of just whining about it.

You just have no idea what goes on in the infrastructure of your city/town, so you;d sit there and bitch about it just cuz "govt is always bad"...your city council is one of the most accessible government bodies you have...show up to 2 or 3 meetings and you'll be on a committee before you know it. Waah, waah waah...govt govt blah blah blabh...

This entire schtick is getting old...not sure about where you live, but here, the water company has an elected board of directors...it's not that hard to get on...my neighbor is on ours, and another friend of mine ran, but fell just short.

You should try it...see what really goes on.

I'll warn you though..it's a thankless job...only a dozen people come to the meetings and contribute, but the rest sit at home in their rocking chair and bitch about it.