PDA

View Full Version : One injured after shots fired outside Little Rock Air Force Base

Bos Mutus
06-15-2015, 03:37 PM
At the gate? Hope the victim is okay.

JACKSONVILLE, Ark. (KTHV) – Emergency personnel are on the scene of a shooting outside the Little Rock Air Force Base.

According to Jacksonville Police Department Police Chief Kenny Boyd, an incident occurred at the gates of the base around 9:20 Monday morning. He said shots had been fired and at least one person was injured.

THV11 Facebook follower wrote, "I'm sitting in line waiting to get out and were on lockdown."

A sergeant at the base added that security forces are currently responding to the incident.

THV11's Laura Monteverdi is on-scene and reports that as of 10:20 a.m., the base is on lockdown. She tweeted, "No one being allowed in or out."
Traffic is currently being diverted at the intersection of Vandenberg and Marshall streets just outside the base's gate.
At the time of this report, little information was available and no names were released.

Posted from:http://www.thv11.com/story/news/2015/06/15/one-injured-after-shots-fired-at-little-rock-air-force-base/71246244/

Rollyn01
06-15-2015, 05:43 PM
At the gate? Hope the victim is okay.

What the fuck? Over. I'm not sure, but there has to be something missing from this report. How did this even take place this close to the gate? What the person injured part of IA or was it just an innocent by-stander? The base may be on lock-down, but I know for certain some heads will roll over this. I just hope this wasn't one of those bases that has civilian gate guards because it's going to look really bad on them. However, I hope the person injured recovers as well.

Bos Mutus
06-15-2015, 06:20 PM
What the fuck? Over. I'm not sure, but there has to be something missing from this report. How did this even take place this close to the gate?

What's to stop some lunatic from driving up to any gate and start shooting?

What the person injured part of IA or was it just an innocent by-stander?

The update below says two people taken to hospital?? One Bystander "not related to incident"...maybe someone had a heart attack or something.?

Sounds like someone fired, SF returned fire and apprehended the shooter. They don't say, but sounds like the shooter is one who was injured, to me.

The base may be on lock-down, but I know for certain some heads will roll over this. I just hope this wasn't one of those bases that has civilian gate guards because it's going to look really bad on them. However, I hope the person injured recovers as well.

I'm not understanding your criticism of security here...what should they have done differently? Anyone can start shooting anywhere, pretty much...how is SF supposed to know that other than to respond when it happens, which is sounds like they did.

Update: Security forces subdued gunman at LR Air Force Base gateStory Highlights

Jacksonville police chief Kenny Boyd said shots were fired outside the gate Monday morning.
Two are said to have been taken to a hospital after the incident.
All gates at the base are closed to inbound and outbound traffic.

5237 CONNECT 148 TWEET (https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=http%3A//on.kthv.com/1ShS8E7&text=Update%3A%20Security%20forces%20subdued%20gun man%20at%20LR%20Air%20Force%20Base%20gate&via=thv11)LINKEDIN (http://www.linkedin.com/shareArticle?url=http%3A//on.kthv.com/1ShS8E7&mini=true) 2 COMMENTEMAILMORE

JACKSONVILLE, Ark. (KTHV) – Emergency personnel are on the scene of a shooting outside the Little Rock Air Force Base (LRAFB).
Officials with the base report that an active threat occurred around 9:15 a.m. at the front gate on Vandenberg Drive.
According to Lt. Col. Christopher Karns who spoke with USA TODAY's Pentagon correspondent Tom Vanden Brook, security forces subdued a gunman who approached the gate and fired a weapon.
Karns said security personnel fired at the shooter to ensure the safety of others.

All of the base's gates were closed to inbound and outbound traffic, with vehicles being diverted at the intersection of Vandenburg and Marshall streets. As of 12:45 p.m., officials said all buildings of the base are now open. The main gate and the Marshall gate remain closed, while Harris and Arnold Drive gates are open.
Officials with LRAFB report that two individuals have been transported to a hospital. A sergeant with the base told THV11 that at least one was injured - a person who is not a member of the military. That individual's condition is unknown.

Chief of Public Affairs Amanda Farr said the other individual was a bystander, not related to the incident.

First responders for the base are on-scene coordinating with Jacksonville police and Air Force Office of Special Investigation.

THV11's Laura Monteverdi is on-scene where she said vehicles near the front gate are being inspected. She said at least one of the vehicles is being inspected by a robotic machine. Follow her tweets here (https://twitter.com/LauraMonteverdi).
Base officials noted in a press release, "The safety of base members and their families are of base leaders' utmost concern."

Rollyn01
06-15-2015, 08:27 PM
What's to stop some lunatic from driving up to any gate and start shooting?
I'm not understanding your criticism of security here...what should they have done differently? Anyone can start shooting anywhere, pretty much...how is SF supposed to know that other than to respond when it happens, which is sounds like they did.

Actually, it wasn't intended on being a criticism on how the gate guards reacted. I was thinking out loud about what kind of situation would allow for something like this to happen so close to the gate. I was more or less wondering if there was maybe a long line of traffic coming in/out of the base, was the shooter shooting from a vehicle or out of it, etc.

As for the civilian security force, it tends to look bad that a military base can't protect its own members and their family without civilian assistance even though the base is full on "professional warfighters". I know it sounds silly, but people have an odd habit of making mountains out of molehills. I don't want to name names, but you and I both know there are some in this very forum that will do that.

All in all, I just want to know all the info to properly and critically analyze it. Damn my scout training.

Bos Mutus
06-15-2015, 08:59 PM
Actually, it wasn't intended on being a criticism on how the gate guards reacted. I was thinking out loud about what kind of situation would allow for something like this to happen so close to the gate. I was more or less wondering if there was maybe a long line of traffic coming in/out of the base, was the shooter shooting from a vehicle or out of it, etc.

As for the civilian security force, it tends to look bad that a military base can't protect its own members and their family without civilian assistance even though the base is full on "professional warfighters". I know it sounds silly, but people have an odd habit of making mountains out of molehills. I don't want to name names, but you and I both know there are some in this very forum that will do that.

All in all, I just want to know all the info to properly and critically analyze it. Damn my scout training.

Okay...sorry, the whole "what the fuck?...How does this happen?...Heads are gonna roll for certain...this will look bad" part threw me off your cautious analytical scout methods...

Rainmaker
06-15-2015, 09:18 PM

Fortunately Rainmaker's local installation is guarded by a 5'1" 145lb Latina lioness with bed room eyes and wearing blue latex surgical gloves, so if al-qada try anything she can grab em by the balls and make em turn they heads and cough. Nomsayin Rollyn?

Bos Mutus
06-15-2015, 10:32 PM
Another update.

By Lisa Maria Garza
(Reuters) - An armed man trying to get into the Little Rock Air Force Base in Arkansas was shot at the gate on Monday and is in critical condition at an area hospital, base officials said.
The incident sent the base into lockdown for nearly three hours while authorities examined the car driven by the man. They believe he was acting alone but did not identify him or release further information. Authorities said he carried a rifle.
"I do not know if the suspect fired rounds out of his weapon, but I do know that he was brandishing a weapon at the time he exited his vehicle," said Colonel Charles Brown the commander of the 19th Airlift Wing at the base.
The man was trying to get through the gate and may have lost control of his vehicle, Brown said at a news conference.
Photos posted on the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette website showed a man wearing a bomb protection suit at the base entrance near a sports utility vehicle linked to the suspect.

Rollyn01
06-15-2015, 10:34 PM
Okay...sorry, the whole "what the fuck?...How does this happen?...Heads are gonna roll for certain...this will look bad" part threw me off your cautious analytical scout methods...

No worries. My brain has a tendency to wrestle with stupid shit on a regular basis. That's what I get for joining the military. Apparently, it's the only way to survive the madness.

Rollyn01
06-15-2015, 10:35 PM
Fortunately Rainmaker's local installation is guarded by a 5'1" 145lb Latina lioness with bed room eyes and wearing blue latex surgical gloves, so if al-qada try anything she can grab em by the balls and make em turn they heads and cough. Nomsayin Rollyn?

So long as she looks good in heels, I'm all for it. :D

Sq Goldn boy
06-19-2015, 08:39 PM

The civilian security forces or "DAFP" are not here because we can't protect our own members. It's simply a matter of manpower and deployments. Perhaps the public could see it that way but that is just ignorance.