PDA

View Full Version : Honor guard OK to march in gay pride events, but NOT ok to go to Church?

garhkal
06-12-2015, 08:05 PM
Over the past year and a half, i have seen 3 separate stories in the media and online about the Army (or AF) denying a request for an Honor guard, or other 'military presence' at a church function, EVEN when it was to honor that group. BUT yet we keep seeing Honor guards being sent to LGBT pride events...

How in gods green earth is this right? If according to the rules and regs, you can't send the Honor guard (Or any other uniformed group) to attend XYZ event, cause it might show 'support' for that event, then how is sending an Honor guard to LGBT pride events NOT also showing support for the LGBT cause??

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/06/d-c-gay-pride-parade-will-feature-military-color-guard-for-first-time-103846.html

http://www.localnews7.com/opinion/army-refuses-to-provide-honor-guard-for-churchs-july-4th-celebration-h176836.html

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/military-color-guard-gay-pride/2014/06/06/id/575654/

http://www.ldjackson.net/national-guard-banned-from-vacation-bible-school/

http://www.thenewscommenter.com/news/army-refuses-to-provide-honor-guard-for-churchs-july-4th-celebration/330648

Absinthe Anecdote
06-12-2015, 08:37 PM
Over the past year and a half, i have seen 3 separate stories in the media and online about the Army (or AF) denying a request for an Honor guard, or other 'military presence' at a church function, EVEN when it was to honor that group. BUT yet we keep seeing Honor guards being sent to LGBT pride events...

How in gods green earth is this right? If according to the rules and regs, you can't send the Honor guard (Or any other uniformed group) to attend XYZ event, cause it might show 'support' for that event, then how is sending an Honor guard to LGBT pride events NOT also showing support for the LGBT cause??

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/06/d-c-gay-pride-parade-will-feature-military-color-guard-for-first-time-103846.html

http://www.localnews7.com/opinion/army-refuses-to-provide-honor-guard-for-churchs-july-4th-celebration-h176836.html

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/military-color-guard-gay-pride/2014/06/06/id/575654/

http://www.thenewscommenter.com/news/army-refuses-to-provide-honor-guard-for-churchs-july-4th-celebration/330648

Here is a crazy idea; why don't you try to read all the articles throughly?

When you are done reading, if you have an opinion on how the policy was being applied, then share that with us.

I get the distinct impression that you are just looking at the headlines and then asking us to do all the leg work so we can explain it to you.

That's intellectual laziness, tsk tsk!

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
06-12-2015, 08:46 PM

Unbelievable. In other news, there are uniformed Airmen at the Nellis BX today handing out flyers to advertise the upcoming LGBT Pride 5K Rainbow Run, to be held at the Nellis gym. So, if you feel PRIDE for one's sexual preference, feel free to sign up!

Bos Mutus
06-12-2015, 10:15 PM

Well...it would seem that it's only against the rules and regs if XYZ is a religious event...

Blame it on the founding fathers...they did NOT build a wall of separation between sexual orientation and state.

Absinthe Anecdote
06-12-2015, 10:22 PM
Unbelievable. In other news, there are uniformed Airmen at the Nellis BX today handing out flyers to advertise the upcoming LGBT Pride 5K Rainbow Run, to be held at the Nellis gym. So, if you feel PRIDE for one's sexual preference, feel free to sign up!

I think it is hilarious that you are upset over a Rainbow Run.

You need to go chill-lax at your nearest gay bar, maybe meet some new friends up close and personal.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
06-12-2015, 10:52 PM
I think it is hilarious that you are upset over a Rainbow Run.

You need to go chill-lax at your nearest gay bar, maybe meet some new friends up close and personal.

I never stated that I was "upset." I just find it absurd to have an event that celebrates "pride"in having sex with the same sex, while forbiding events in support of religion.

MikeKerriii
06-13-2015, 12:17 AM
I never stated that I was "upset." I just find it absurd to have an event that celebrates "pride"in having sex with the same sex, while forbiding events in support of religion.

That is simple to explain, one is secular the other is an endorsement of a specific faith. The former is lawful the latter is not sine you can't order someone to participate in a religious ceremony of any knd

Absinthe Anecdote
06-13-2015, 12:18 AM
I never stated that I was "upset."

I'll be the judge of that. If I say you sound upset, then you're upset.

I'm also labeling you anti-gay until you run in two Rainbow 5Ks.

Oh, don't forget to wear your ribbon.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
06-13-2015, 01:35 AM
That is simple to explain, one is secular the other is an endorsement of a specific faith. The former is lawful the latter is not sine you can't order someone to participate in a religious ceremony of any knd

In your opinion, is it ok to order someone to attend a Gay Pride event?

MikeKerriii
06-13-2015, 03:21 AM
In your opinion, is it ok to order someone to attend a Gay Pride event?

Since there is l no legal bar to doing so, unlike a church event, why the hell not? I had to stand in formation once for a POS named Richard Nixon, but that like the rally was a legal order. Ordering someone to a church service is not a lawful order, ask any Chaplain.

garhkal
06-13-2015, 04:29 AM
Here is a crazy idea; why don't you try to read all the articles throughly?

When you are done reading, if you have an opinion on how the policy was being applied, then share that with us.

I get the distinct impression that you are just looking at the headlines and then asking us to do all the leg work so we can explain it to you.

That's intellectual laziness, tsk tsk!

I have read some of the articles (others i just looked for corroboration on the head lines), and it seems the 'reason' they disallow the church side, is that it seems its coming close to 'endorsing' a religion if they do so.. BUT yet they are at damn near every funeral.
And if endorsing a religion is bad, how is it not equally bad to endorse a political statement which is imo what gay pride events are.

MikeKerriii
06-13-2015, 05:14 AM
I have read some of the articles (others i just looked for corroboration on the head lines), and it seems the 'reason' they disallow the church side, is that it seems its coming close to 'endorsing' a religion if they do so.. BUT yet they are at damn near every funeral.
And if endorsing a religion is bad, how is it not equally bad to endorse a political statement which is imo what gay pride events are. Funerals are to honor the dead, what religion if any that is involved is irrelevant. I'm sure that you already Knew that if you think about it. When they bury me, the honor guard will not be participating in an Atheist burial, just that of a veteran.

Endorsing religion is not "bad", it is unlawful in this case.

Gay pride events are not partisan political events, they are social functions. If it was a Democratic or Republican event being ordered to participate would likely be over the line, but its open to all. that is a hair splitting difference but I believe a valid one.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
06-13-2015, 01:39 PM
Since there is l no legal bar to doing so, unlike a church event, why the hell not? I had to stand in formation once for a POS named Richard Nixon, but that like the rally was a legal order. Ordering someone to a church service is not a lawful order, ask any Chaplain.

I don't think it's right to force someone to attend an event that celebrates who you sleep with. This is what gay pride is about...celebrating your pride in having sex with someone of the same sex.

If the military allowed a Heterosexual Marriage Pride event at the base club and "ordered" its gay members to attend (because it's a secular social event), the ACLU, Obama Administration, and just about every liberal on the planet would be up in arms, demanding immediate disciplinary measures against the military leader responsible for the decision.

Absinthe Anecdote
06-13-2015, 02:39 PM
I don't think it's right to force someone to attend an event that celebrates who you sleep with. This is what gay pride is about...celebrating your pride in having sex with someone of the same sex.

If the military allowed a Heterosexual Marriage Pride event at the base club and "ordered" its gay members to attend (because it's a secular social event), the ACLU, Obama Administration, and just about every liberal on the planet would be up in arms, demanding immediate disciplinary measures against the military leader responsible for the decision.

The only way to find out is for someone to organize a Hetrosexual Pride event and request an honor guard to come to the ceremony.

Sounds like a good project for you. If you organize it, I'll come out to Vegas and strut my hetrosexual pride.

I've got to warn you, I'm very hetrosexual and some people are intimidated by just how hetrosexual I am.

I've been know to make women swoon and men cower, so be forewarned.

Seriously, if someone organized a hetrosexual pride event, I think it would be largely ignored. You might attract a few crazies though.

It all depends on how you advertised it.

UncaRastus
06-13-2015, 02:48 PM
Combine the Heterosexual Gay Thingy with a Draw a Cartoon of Mohammed. That might increase the attendance, AA!

Absinthe Anecdote
06-13-2015, 03:20 PM
Combine the Heterosexual Gay Thingy with a Draw a Cartoon of Mohammed. That might increase the attendance, AA!

Use of the word "thingy" would be the key to the event's success.

Everyone likes a good thingy.

MikeKerriii
06-13-2015, 05:38 PM

We have events like heterosexual pride event, every event celebrating spouses is basically such an event. You just haven't noticed becasue it is the norm you are used to.

If they are using the honor guard to promote gay rights in a POLITICAL, that is wrong and is legally forbidden. The military should stay the hell out of politics. It is celebrating pride in something most Americans accept as being acceptable, and is legally acceptable especial in the age brackets of those serving.

If they are using to increase enlistments and give the military positive PR then that is part of their mission.

TJMAC77SP
06-13-2015, 07:48 PM
We have events like heterosexual pride event, every event celebrating spouses is basically such an event. You just haven't noticed becasue it is the norm you are used to.

I suppose in a way you are right but of course that is no longer correct as any event celebrate spouses now will include same sex couples.

garhkal
06-14-2015, 04:46 AM

That assumes they would even have allowed that event in the first place.

UncaRastus
06-14-2015, 04:06 PM
AA,

I am a PR and Branding Expert. The term 'Thingy' is about to become used in every sort of commercial, banners, and naming, from now on.

I will be, anyhow, once the Thingy takes off.

Thanks to Thing, from the Addam's Family, that term is going mainstream in the next couple of days. Luckily, Thing is happy to be the inspiration of the new Thing branding, and he doesn't require payment for the usage thereof!

Rainmaker
06-15-2015, 04:56 PM
Funerals are to honor the dead, what religion if any that is involved is irrelevant. I'm sure that you already Knew that if you think about it. When they bury me, the honor guard will not be participating in an Atheist burial, just that of a veteran.

Endorsing religion is not "bad", it is unlawful in this case.

Gay pride events are not partisan political events, they are social functions.

Comparing Funeral processions to a Military Sanctioned drag show. Disgraceful. You know Mike, We could still disagree. But, It would be so much easier to respect you guys if you just weren't so full of shit.

Demographic warfare is what this is all about. Creating another group of "victims". And then changing the Non-Discrimination policy to create another special group to be singled out for favors because, they're historically disenfranchised....oh the horror!!!boo hoo hoo...

Plain and simple the whole Homo Agenda is political. They are using the military as a vehicle to "norm" the behavior. Homosexual behavior is not normal behavior. It's perverted and it's sick behavior.

Exactly what those of us who spoke out against repealing DADT said was going to happen is happening..... It's never going to be enough, because they don't want equality. They want attention. These people are Narcissists (it goes along with the condition). First it's Gays, then Trans-genders, Up next: pedophilia, bestiality, sadomasochism, incest, and midget clown cross dressing pirates.

"Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter."