PDA

View Full Version : Why is this surprising?

sandsjames
05-29-2015, 08:18 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/28/living/feat-racist-dr-seuss-drawing/index.html

As distasteful and racist as this painting is, it's from 1929. Why is it being talked about as shocking? 1929 was a far cry from today. I'm surprised that there aren't more pictures like this from that era.

Absinthe Anecdote
05-29-2015, 08:45 PM

As distasteful and racist as this painting is, it's from 1929. Why is it being talked about as shocking? 1929 was a far cry from today. I'm surprised that there aren't more pictures like this from that era.

Because Dr. Suess is a beloved author of children's books.

sandsjames
05-29-2015, 08:49 PM
Because Dr. Suess is a beloved author of children's books.

Oh, that's right...and everyone who works with children are squeaky clean...This reminds me of the shock that takes place every time a Disney child star turns into an alcoholic/druggie.

Absinthe Anecdote
05-29-2015, 08:55 PM
Oh, that's right...and everyone who works with children are squeaky clean...This reminds me of the shock that takes place every time a Disney child star turns into an alcoholic/druggie.

It has to do with not thinking of these personalities as real people.

Dr. Seuss was a persona not a person. I'm used to thinking about Dr. Suess in connection to Green Egg & Ham, and not a racist cartoon.

I was a bit surprised when I saw that too.

garhkal
05-29-2015, 09:01 PM

Maybe there are more paintings, but the liberals have already silenced any chance they had of being auctioned/sold off.

sandsjames
05-29-2015, 09:46 PM
It has to do with not thinking of these personalities as real people.

Dr. Seuss was a persona not a person. I'm used to thinking about Dr. Suess in connection to Green Egg & Ham, and not a racist cartoon.

I was a bit surprised when I saw that too.

Would it lead you to not read his books to your kids? I'd have to think about it...I imagine that every prominent white American writer from that era was equally as racist so books from that time would be pretty limited if the criteria was based on the author's feelings about race.

Absinthe Anecdote
05-29-2015, 09:58 PM
Would it lead you to not read his books to your kids? I'd have to think about it...I imagine that every prominent white American writer from that era was equally as racist so books from that time would be pretty limited if the criteria was based on the author's feelings about race.

Naw, I'd still read them to kids because I love those books.

It was surprising because it was something I didn't know, and didn't expect.

garhkal
05-30-2015, 04:49 AM
If i had kids and they were into Dr Seuss, i wouldn't care about his ethics back then. Just like there are many current singers i can't stand personally but love listening to their music.

Rusty Jones
05-30-2015, 09:09 AM
Was everyone "equally racist" at the time? I don't know. I suspect that the levels of racism between the Emancipation and now has had peaks and valleys. In 1929, it probably would have been a peak... as that was about 15 years after Birth of a Nation was released. For those who may not be aware, the Ku Klux Klan disbanded in the 1870's. This movie depicted the KKK as heroes, and stirred fear of black people. As a result, the KKK was revived. Also, believe it or not, many states didn't have laws banning interracial marriage until this point. Dr. Suess definitely could have been among the many to get caught up in the moment.