PDA

View Full Version : USNS Mercy Allides with the USS Arizona Memorial

Mjölnir
05-28-2015, 07:36 PM
Honolulu Star Advertiser: 20150527_Tug_boat_damages_Arizona_Memorial_dock_af fecting_tours.html

Military.com: http://www.military.com/daily-news/2015/05/27/witness-us-navy-ship-struck-uss-arizona-memorial-in-hawaii.html?ESRC=todayinmil.sm

from a friend of mine: I just got done leading the Navy chunk of the formation for the ADM Locklear/ADM Harris/ADM Swift CoC/retirement dance. Mercy got underway just before the ceremony took place and we definitely had that "huh, she's awfully close to Ford Island" conversation. Couldn't see anything of worth because she was in-between us and the memorial, but that stern tug most certainly had the throttles to the stops. Seems like they stopped the tour ferries immediately following as well, as two of them were doing donuts for a while prior to heading back to the shore.

Nothing like a possible allision with a national memorial that occurs within sight of the CNO, SecDef, PACFLT, PACOM, House and Senate leaders, and any number of 1-3 star FOGOs a few hundred yards away.

sandsjames
05-28-2015, 08:42 PM
Is "allides" a Navy term? Is it different than "collides"? Hell, it even shows up incorrect in the spell checker. I know you guys like to be different than the rest of us...

Mjölnir
05-28-2015, 10:21 PM
Is "allides" a Navy term? Is it different than "collides"? Hell, it even shows up incorrect in the spell checker. I know you guys like to be different than the rest of us...

If both objects are moving or under propulsion, it is a collision ... an allision is when only one of them is moving.

sandsjames
05-28-2015, 10:33 PM
If both objects are moving or under propulsion, it is a collision ... an allision is when only one of them is moving.

So why doesn't my spell checker show it as a word? I think it's just some made up squid term that came about when one ships Captain didn't want blamed for being involved in a "collision". "No, Sir, it's not my fault...I was just sitting there, he ran in to me...if you write it up as an 'allision' that'll make it clear that I was doing what I was supposed to do."

Next thing you know you'll be calling the bathroom a head...

Mjölnir
05-28-2015, 10:46 PM
So why doesn't my spell checker show it as a word? I think it's just some made up squid term that came about when one ships Captain didn't want blamed for being involved in a "collision". "No, Sir, it's not my fault...I was just sitting there, he ran in to me...if you write it up as an 'allision' that'll make it clear that I was doing what I was supposed to do."

Don't know ... if I google it, the very first link to it is from Webster's dictionary.

The term 'head' I get how it came about, now ... we call a water fountain a 'scuttlebutt' since that is where folks would gather and spread gossip a.k.a. scuttlebutt ... but why scuttlebutt was used for gossip, no idea.

Also, there is a difference between a bulkhead and a wall (watertight integrity), and a door and a hatch (again, watertight integrity), or the deck and a floor. But yeah ... we have a lot of unique terminology.

sandsjames
05-29-2015, 12:25 AM
Don't know ... if I google it, the very first link to it is from Webster's dictionary.

The term 'head' I get how it came about, now ... we call a water fountain a 'scuttlebutt' since that is where folks would gather and spread gossip a.k.a. scuttlebutt ... but why scuttlebutt was used for gossip, no idea.

Also, there is a difference between a bulkhead and a wall (watertight integrity), and a door and a hatch (again, watertight integrity), or the deck and a floor. But yeah ... we have a lot of unique terminology.

Hmmmm...you guys are strange...

TJMAC77SP
05-29-2015, 12:42 AM
Hmmmm...you guys are strange...

I learned something today. I first thought it was an error and Mjolnir was making a joke. Leave it to the Navy to add to it's different vocabulary.

sandsjames
05-29-2015, 03:25 AM
I learned something today. I first thought it was an error and Mjolnir was making a joke. Leave it to the Navy to add to it's different vocabulary.

Yeah, that's the first time I've ever heard that word. It's fun giving him a hard time anyway.

Rollyn01
05-29-2015, 03:58 AM

I thought he meant allusion. I was like, "the hell is he alluding to? The crash?"

Mjölnir
05-29-2015, 01:38 PM
I thought he meant allusion. I was like, "the hell is he alluding to? The crash?"

or maybe ... illusion

https://theteenageoverdose.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/illusion_spinning.png

Rainmaker
05-29-2015, 02:14 PM

Gedunk... WTF?

TJMAC77SP
05-29-2015, 05:51 PM
Gedunk... WTF?

Well, all the services have their weird vocabulary. As I understand it the Army calls the poncho liner a Woobie. I actually think that is appropriate because whoever invented that little piece of heaven (sorry AA) should be sainted (sorry again AA)

LogDog
06-18-2015, 07:27 PM
Gedunk... WTF?
I grew up in a Navy family, which is one reason why I joined the AF, and the term "Gedunk" is a snack bar or canteen.

MikeKerriii
06-18-2015, 07:40 PM

A scuttle but is a but (barrel) of water yhat the crew drank from like a water fountain an place where people gathered and gossiped.

Now what kind of balls does a "brass monkey" hold?

Mjölnir
12-21-2015, 12:53 PM
Update: The Command Investigation on the incident is out.

http://www.sailorbob.com/phpbb/download/file.php?id=2714

The findings of fact and opinions sections are telling.

UncaRastus
12-21-2015, 03:10 PM
Tryd tu inter thet syt tu luk at th ardicle. Sed 'You are not authorised to download this attachment.' Since I ar not a ossifer, ah cain't git nowear.

Ah clames ileagul deskremunayshun!

Kin ah hev mah tryllyun dahlurs naow?

Absinthe Anecdote
12-21-2015, 03:29 PM
Tryd tu inter thet syt tu luk at th ardicle. Sed 'You are not authorised to download this attachment.' Since I ar not a ossifer, ah cain't git nowear.

Ah clames ileagul deskremunayshun!

Kin ah hev mah tryllyun dahlurs naow?

Is the Mercy crewed by Merchant Marines and not the Navy?

I know the medical staff is Navy, but isn't the crew that navigates the ship and keeps it operational Merchant Marine?

Rusty Jones
12-21-2015, 03:39 PM
Is the Mercy crewed by Merchant Marines and not the Navy?

I know the medical staff is Navy, but isn't the crew that navigates the ship and keeps it operational Merchant Marine?

That would be MSC (Military Sealift Command) Civilians.