PDA

View Full Version : What are y'all going to do on Memorial Day?

UncaRastus
05-21-2015, 08:45 PM
Out here in the mid west, a certain cemetery was set up as a Veterans Memorial Cemetery, but somehow lately, that place has mostly gone unfunded.

My wife and I went there last year and cleaned up some of the more neglected grave sites. Hacking out weeds, thorn bushes, etc..

Some of the graves are from the Civil War and onwards from that time, and the families of those vets have either died off or moved to other places of the USA, so no one is around to care for some of those graves.

This year, it looks like it will be raining here, so if the forecasts stay the same, we are going there tomorrow to continue some upkeep of that place.

So? Any of you have any plans for Memorial Day? Barbecues? Something else special?

sandsjames
05-22-2015, 01:23 AM
Out here in the mid west, a certain cemetery was set up as a Veterans Memorial Cemetery, but somehow lately, that place has mostly gone unfunded.

My wife and I went there last year and cleaned up some of the more neglected grave sites. Hacking out weeds, thorn bushes, etc..

Some of the graves are from the Civil War and onwards from that time, and the families of those vets have either died off or moved to other places of the USA, so no one is around to care for some of those graves.

This year, it looks like it will be raining here, so if the forecasts stay the same, we are going there tomorrow to continue some upkeep of that place.

So? Any of you have any plans for Memorial Day? Barbecues? Something else special?

My wife is at her Mom's for a few weeks so I'll be sitting in my back yard with a cooler full of beer (less full as the weekend progresses) hoping that the rain lets up and the tornadoes miss me.

garhkal
05-22-2015, 06:48 AM
On sunday i will be watching the EPL Championship final week of play. Not seen any celebrations/marches here in my neck of the woods to attend.

As a q. For someone like me who is retired, if there WAS a parade could i attend in uniform? I don't remember if we are allowed to do so.

UncaRastus
05-22-2015, 12:58 PM
Garkhal,

I think this would be the DOD Directive that covers this, found herein:

http://militarysalute.proboards.com/thread/721/veterans-wearing-military-uniforms

I do believe that the hair and 'stash must be within regulations. Certain special issue uniform items can not be worn, such as the campaign cover (smoky hat) worn by DIs can not be worn, etc..

Rusty Jones
05-22-2015, 06:56 PM
I think I'm gonna make facebook memes accusing people of not knowing what Memorial Day is about, and shaming them for having barbecues.

I think it'll say something like this: Are having a good ol' time with your buddies eating ribs and drinking beer, while not thinking of those who died in combat in order to defend your ungrateful ass's ability to have that barbecue in the first place? Fuck you!

garhkal
05-22-2015, 09:41 PM
Garkhal,

I think this would be the DOD Directive that covers this, found herein:

http://militarysalute.proboards.com/thread/721/veterans-wearing-military-uniforms

I do believe that the hair and 'stash must be within regulations. Certain special issue uniform items can not be worn, such as the campaign cover (smoky hat) worn by DIs can not be worn, etc..

Many thanks ratus. I tried searching, but i guess my googlefu was not as strong as it should have been..

UncaRastus
05-22-2015, 11:30 PM
Not a problem, Garkhal!