05-20-2015, 08:38 PM
Any old fogies still around?

sandsjames
05-20-2015, 08:45 PM
Holy shit....

Bos Mutus
05-20-2015, 09:02 PM

Crank up the band, we're back in business!

Shrike
05-20-2015, 09:08 PM
Here I was scratching my head thinking "Bos Mutus? I know I haven't been on here in a while but I don't rememb..." and then I saw your sig block. :)

Shrike
05-20-2015, 09:08 PM
Holy shit....

What's up, SJ? How are you enjoying your retirement?

sandsjames
05-20-2015, 09:14 PM
What's up, SJ? How are you enjoying your retirement?It's the greatest thing ever. Got myself a sweet GS9 position (Tech school instructor) and am loving being a civilian in a military shop.

Rollyn01
05-20-2015, 09:21 PM

I don't know who you are, but your avatar hilariously rocks.

Shrike
05-20-2015, 09:40 PM
It's the greatest thing ever. Got myself a sweet GS9 position (Tech school instructor) and am loving being a civilian in a military shop.
I have so far avoided the lure of post-military employment; I've been waiting for my wife to retire before I started looking. Well she's gearing up to retire in a few months and I'm not sure I'm interested in going back to work. Being gone from the USAF this long has made me realize a few things about working a job: I will not put up with unnecessary BS, I will not partake in any workplace drama, I don't want to supervise anyone, and I can't work for d-bags. Basically, if I'm not going to be 100% happy in my place of work then screw 'em. So unless a night-watchman or work-from-home opportunity arises, I'm not a good fit. Unless, of course, a cigar shop or liquor store is hiring. :)

sandsjames
05-20-2015, 09:55 PM
I have so far avoided the lure of post-military employment; I've been waiting for my wife to retire before I started looking. Well she's gearing up to retire in a few months and I'm not sure I'm interested in going back to work. Being gone from the USAF this long has made me realize a few things about working a job: I will not put up with unnecessary BS, I will not partake in any workplace drama, I don't want to supervise anyone, and I can't work for d-bags. Basically, if I'm not going to be 100% happy in my place of work then screw 'em. So unless a night-watchman or work-from-home opportunity arises, I'm not a good fit. Unless, of course, a cigar shop or liquor store is hiring. :)

I wasn't looking at all. We moved back to Texas in order to fix up our house so we can sell it before moving back to California. I got a phone call a couple months later to take a look at USA jobs and there was an instructor position in my old shop so I applied. We're gonna stay here for a couple more years (have set a date of 1 May 2018 to leave) to get bills paid off and save up enough for a good down payment back home. Then I'll be back home and done for good. It was a tough decision because I love this job and it's the only one I would have done.

How is the cigar/scotch life treating you?

Shrike
05-20-2015, 10:03 PM
I wasn't looking at all. We moved back to Texas in order to fix up our house so we can sell it before moving back to California. I got a phone call a couple months later to take a look at USA jobs and there was an instructor position in my old shop so I applied. We're gonna stay here for a couple more years (have set a date of 1 May 2018 to leave) to get bills paid off and save up enough for a good down payment back home. Then I'll be back home and done for good. It was a tough decision because I love this job and it's the only one I would have done.

How is the cigar/scotch life treating you?

That sounds lucky for you. Any time you can get paid to do something you love is a good time; it's not "working" at all.

Life is good. Some days I'm busy with yard work and chores around the house, some days I'm tending the smoker as it's doing its magic on some pork or beef, other days I'm doing nothing but relaxing with a cigar and my Kindle. I have a back log of books to catch up on and I'm enjoying going through them. On the rare occasion I get bored, there are some places I volunteer at. I ran into one of the Os I used to work with and he asked what retiring for good is like and I replied "Every night is a Saturday night, then lo and behold you wake up the next morning and it's Saturday morning." He said "I can't f--king wait!!!" :)

TJMAC77SP
05-20-2015, 10:08 PM
Welcome back Shrike. I am with you on the retirement attitude. I had to slog through the first ten years post-retirement in corporate America but now work for myself. Well, I do some work in my field for other agencies but I get to pick and choose and when their policies blow, I tell'm and pass. I will admit to being a little bored of late. Looking at some volunteer and pro bono work as well.

Shrike
05-20-2015, 10:41 PM
Welcome back Shrike. I am with you on the retirement attitude. I had to slog through the first ten years post-retirement in corporate America but now work for myself. Well, I do some work in my field for other agencies but I get to pick and choose and when their policies blow, I tell'm and pass. I will admit to being a little bored of late. Looking at some volunteer and pro bono work as well.
Thanks, TJMAC! Volunteer work is good for the times when I feel I should be doing something that resembles work :). As far as ACTUAL work, I just have to think back to my last few years of staff work before retirement, shudder, and think "Never again!" Then I light a cigar, pour a little whiskey, and smile. :)

So, you still calmly and rationally disputing JB's posts? Or has he gone and gotten himself perma-banned?

TJMAC77SP
05-20-2015, 11:19 PM
Thanks, TJMAC! Volunteer work is good for the times when I feel I should be doing something that resembles work :). As far as ACTUAL work, I just have to think back to my last few years of staff work before retirement, shudder, and think "Never again!" Then I light a cigar, pour a little whiskey, and smile. :)

So, you still calmly and rationally disputing JB's posts? Or has he gone and gotten himself perma-banned?

Unfortunately he got perma-banned. There is always someone to have 'discussions' with but I do admit I miss Joe.

Zxc
05-28-2015, 08:01 PM
I stopped checking every day and now just check in every week or three now. I moved to reddit.com/r/airforce since its much more active. This place has been on a slow death for a long time and now we have way more subforums than new topics. Hell even the new format of Airforcetimes.com doesn't work on a government computer so I stopped reading the articles too.

sandsjames
05-28-2015, 08:45 PM
I moved to reddit.com/r/airforce Is that where all the AF hipsters hang out?

Rainmaker
05-28-2015, 09:34 PM
Is that where all the AF hipsters hang out?
http://www.washingtonsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Red.jpg

Fuck Reddit. Reddit is a leftist outlet for the deep state to collect and maintain a dossier on everything you think and then assign you with a DHS threat level risk assessment. Rainmaker'll be stickin with Mr. Gannett's (RIP) outfit. Nomsayin?

Mjölnir
05-28-2015, 10:22 PM
http://www.washingtonsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Red.jpg

Fuck Reddit. Reddit is a leftist outlet for the deep state to collect and maintain a dossier on everything you think and then assign you with a DHS threat level risk assessment. Rainmaker'll be stickin with Mr. Gannett's (RIP) outfit. Nomsayin?

Just stay off my lawn.

technomage1
05-29-2015, 07:56 AM
I still check out the site once a week or so.

UncaRastus
05-29-2015, 01:51 PM
Mjölnir,

'Just stay off my lawn'

Finally, you have come to the realization that, indeed, a lawn is something to be treasured and protected!

I would suggest a Claymore anti-personnel device or two as a preventive measure!

BRAVO10000
06-30-2015, 01:01 PM
:: waves to the old dogs ::

It was just on a whim that I stumbled back in here. I gotta say - I just got tired of trying to have a realistic debate instead of a snark war. I miss the interaction sometimes, but not the ugliness. Besides - my online persona was becoming way too self-important.

Good to see you're relaxing, Shrike. As for me - I am retired, but still in the game as a civvy-type. Still in Germany too...The CCM Secret Politics Police never found me. :-)

Rainmaker
06-30-2015, 03:15 PM
:: waves to the old dogs ::

It was just on a whim that I stumbled back in here. I gotta say - I just got tired of trying to have a realistic debate instead of a snark war. I miss the interaction sometimes, but not the ugliness. Besides - my online persona was becoming way too self-important.

Good to see you're relaxing, Shrike. As for me - I am retired, but still in the game as a civvy-type. Still in Germany too...The CCM Secret Politics Police never found me. :-)

The place is not as dead as you think..... There are plenty of people still reading..... But, Thanks to Political Hack ass-hat CCM jerkoffs that opened the door to the current Transgender Eunuch Brigade insanity (by supporting repeal of DADT). The Active duty troops now are mostly afraid to post the truth.....

And Rainmaker still hates you for stealing that fat nurse at the KKMC MASH unit back in WW-Desert Storm, and that will probably never change......But, do hope you old hats posts once in a while just to get things going again.

Emojis are still Gay. Tschuss Out//

crwchf16
06-30-2015, 11:24 PM
I drop in here about once a week to see who is still active. Up until this thread showed up I was wondering if everyone got booted for political incorrectness. Glad to see you guys are still alive

Mjölnir
07-01-2015, 01:12 PM
I drop in here about once a week to see who is still active. Up until this thread showed up I was wondering if everyone got booted for political incorrectness. Glad to see you guys are still alive

No one got booted for political incorrectness. Some of the most prolific & current posters are substantially politically incorrect.

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/003496469/533779194_pilogo_xlarge.jpeg

Rainmaker
07-01-2015, 07:01 PM
No one got booted for political incorrectness. Some of the most prolific & current posters are substantially politically incorrect.

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/003496469/533779194_pilogo_xlarge.jpeg

Aww. I bet you say that to all the girls...

Mjölnir
07-01-2015, 08:06 PM
Aww. I bet you say that to all the girls...

It is my own special way of flirting.