PDA

View Full Version : Comic books

sandsjames
05-17-2015, 10:09 AM
I've read comic books for awhile, but I just recently got into collecting. Never realized how much fun it could be. With my addictive personality, it seems to be a replacement for smoking (7 weeks without one) and, unfortunately, just as expensive.

I've started with the new stuff as it all seems to be a pretty good jumping off point. Secret Wars is awesome and The New 52 (from Justice League #40 on) is also good (much better than the issues up to and through Convergence). I will fill in the older stuff as I go, but by starting with the new stuff I won't constantly be playing catch up.

Anybody else collecting, and what do you have/recommend? My local comic book store owner got me started on "Saga" and "Pisces" (a couple independents) which are really good and make a good addition/alternative to the normal Marvel/DC stuff.

garhkal
05-17-2015, 04:09 PM
I used to get the Xmen, uncanny Xmen, X force, X factor, Gen X and Wolverine series, along with a smattering here and there of Thor, Iron man and Hulk. But i'd say my biggest block was the old Gen 1 transformers comics (mostly the UK print, with some US prints).

Mjölnir
05-17-2015, 08:39 PM
The new Thor is pretty good :)

Also, there is a series of comics / graphic novels on the Olympians, those are pretty good.

I am also liking where Marvel is going with the new Star Wars line ...

sandsjames
05-17-2015, 08:51 PM
The new Thor is pretty good :)

The female Thor? Haven't picked that up yet.

MikeKerriii
05-17-2015, 09:24 PM
I've read comic books for awhile, but I just recently got into collecting. Never realized how much fun it could be. With my addictive personality, it seems to be a replacement for smoking (7 weeks without one) and, unfortunately, just as expensive.

I've started with the new stuff as it all seems to be a pretty good jumping off point. Secret Wars is awesome and The New 52 (from Justice League #40 on) is also good (much better than the issues up to and through Convergence). I will fill in the older stuff as I go, but by starting with the new stuff I won't constantly be playing catch up.

Anybody else collecting, and what do you have/recommend? My local comic book store owner got me started on "Saga" and "Pisces" (a couple independents) which are really good and make a good addition/alternative to the normal Marvel/DC stuff.

Right now might not be a good time to start collecting Mavrel, they seem to be having a slow motion reboot event,/ that will retcon much of MU history, so the character you like are very likely to be short lived, at least the versions of those character you like

I have been reading Comics as long as marvel has been printing them but I a talking a time-out this year.

sandsjames
05-17-2015, 10:34 PM
Right now might not be a good time to start collecting Mavrel, they seem to be having a slow motion reboot event,/ that will retcon much of MU history, so the character you like are very likely to be short lived, at least the versions of those character you like

I have been reading Comics as long as marvel has been printing them but I a talking a time-out this year.

The "reboot event" is the perfect time to start...Started with all the "Time Runs Out" stuff, (Avengers, New Avengers) then Secret Wars..., Old Man Logan, Punisher, Renew you Vows, Journal, A-Force, etc...It is pretty damn good so far. I think it's great to start with a fresh start.

As I said, I've read in the past so am pretty aware of most of the stories. Not losing anything.

Really, really looking forward to the entire retcon. Ending the Multiverse, at least for the time being, is a good move, IMO.

Mjölnir
05-18-2015, 10:06 AM

They actually restarted about 2 1/2 years ago, using storylines that last about a year. Female Thor is the third storyline (but they did go back to #1 for it). Overall the story is pretty good, original Thor is still in it, but looses the ability to pick up Mjölnir and when she does and uses it he basically says "she is Thor, I am Odinson."

sandsjames
05-18-2015, 10:42 AM
They actually restarted about 2 1/2 years ago, using storylines that last about a year. Female Thor is the third storyline (but they did go back to #1 for it). Overall the story is pretty good, original Thor is still in it, but looses the ability to pick up Mjölnir and when she does and uses it he basically says "she is Thor, I am Odinson."

The new "Thors" during/after Battleworld looks pretty good. Though may be too many Thors for my liking.

Mjölnir
05-18-2015, 12:41 PM
The new "Thors" during/after Battleworld looks pretty good. Though may be too many Thors for my liking.

Yeah, it is getting that way with a lot of characters.

The flip side / good thing that I like about it is how the storylines are running about a year, so it doesn't feel like it is dragging out or if I find one I like a couple issues into it I can easily catch up.

Bos Mutus
05-18-2015, 08:28 PM
I don't read comic books...never have. Other than the odd one at the dentist office or something. I can not get into them.

I also can't get into superhero movies. My coworkers are all into comics and superhero movies and when the conversation steers toward this, they might as well be speaking a foreign language.

sandsjames
05-18-2015, 09:18 PM
I don't read comic books...never have. Other than the odd one at the dentist office or something. I can not get into them.

I also can't get into superhero movies. My coworkers are all into comics and superhero movies and when the conversation steers toward this, they might as well be speaking a foreign language.

It's definitely not for everyone and does have A LOT of people on the bandwagon based on the movies. I like the movies for what they are but have to completely separate them from the movies. I enjoy the comic books (not even necessarily even the big superhero ones) because of the art that goes with the story. I can't get into the "classical art" but it's fun to see something as "simple" as a comic book have pictures that tell a very good story.

There are a lot of good historical comic books, as well. There's no doubt that I'm a nerd and enjoy the superhero stuff but I know a few people who can't handle any of the stereotypical nerdy stuff but really like the historical ones. I think it's a fun way to get a story, whether fiction or non-fiction.

Absinthe Anecdote
05-19-2015, 11:03 AM

What kind of dentist do you go to, is Pee Wee Herman's your dentist? I've never seen a comic book in a dentist office.

Even in a dentist office that I took my kids to.

Absinthe Anecdote
05-19-2015, 11:27 AM

I was picked up by a female Thor once. She was with this really tall lady from the Amazon, which is unusual because people in the Amazon are rather short.

Rusty Jones
05-19-2015, 12:17 PM
I was heavily into them in my early teens and still have my favorite characters. Every now and then in my adulthood, I'll get into them off and on.

My reason for getting out of them during my teens was pretty much the same as getting out of collecting sports cards - the prices were shooting up beyond the point of being "kid friendly."

Once upon a time, the price of a pack of baseball cards was normally pegged to the price of a candy bar (with the exception of Upper Deck, of course). And you got 15 cards and a stick of gum. I remember when Fleer got rid of their gum around 1989/1990 (which I didn't miss, because theirs tasted like Pepto Bismol anyway) and Topps got rid of theirs a year or two later. Around 1992 or 1993; Fleer, Topps, and Donruss started charging the same price as Upper Deck and also put less cards in the pack.

What is it now - five cards, no gum, for the price of an energy drink?

If I remember correctly, it was the Mickey Mantle card that made adults turn sports cards into a "get rich quick scheme," and that's what drove up the prices.

Unfortunately, that carried over to comics. Three to four bucks for one; and the suspense at the end of the issue and the references throughout the issue are prompting you to spend more.

Here's what's weird: I have a love/hate relationship with Batman. I actually hate Batman, the character. I LOVE reading Detective Comics - but I voluntarily had to cut myself off. The last issue I read, not only had me looking to buy the next issue; but also the concurrent and next issue of Justice League and the concurrent issue of Nightwing.

Granted, that's comics and that's how they're supposed to be. But price of comics had FAR outpaced inflation since the late 1980's/early 1990's.

Bos Mutus
05-19-2015, 03:29 PM
What kind of dentist do you go to, is Pee Wee Herman's your dentist? I've never seen a comic book in a dentist office.

Even in a dentist office that I took my kids to.

Just a regular dentist.

When I was a kid in N.J., we went to Dr. Bloom. I think he was outta Carteret, but it's been so long, and I was a kid. He not only had comic books, but he had one of those antique movie machines where you look into and crank the handle as a series of pictures go by making a silent movie...I never forgot that. I also never forgot that he preferred not to use novacaine on kids...not sure if it was for medical reasons or to teach us a lesson about brushing.

I'm sure I've seen them in other Dentists' office over the years...you're in the waiting room bunch of magazines with an odd comic book in there. Yes, I'm sure of it.

sandsjames
05-19-2015, 04:01 PM
I was heavily into them in my early teens and still have my favorite characters. Every now and then in my adulthood, I'll get into them off and on.

My reason for getting out of them during my teens was pretty much the same as getting out of collecting sports cards - the prices were shooting up beyond the point of being "kid friendly."

Once upon a time, the price of a pack of baseball cards was normally pegged to the price of a candy bar (with the exception of Upper Deck, of course). And you got 15 cards and a stick of gum. I remember when Fleer got rid of their gum around 1989/1990 (which I didn't miss, because theirs tasted like Pepto Bismol anyway) and Topps got rid of theirs a year or two later. Around 1992 or 1993; Fleer, Topps, and Donruss started charging the same price as Upper Deck and also put less cards in the pack.

If I remember correctly, it was the Mickey Mantle card that made adults turn sports cards into a "get rich quick scheme," and that's what drove up the prices.

Unfortunately, that carried over to comics. Three to four bucks for one; and the suspense at the end of the issue and the references throughout the issue are prompting you to spend more.

Here's what's weird: I have a love/hate relationship with Batman. I actually hate Batman, the character. I LOVE reading Detective Comics - but I voluntarily had to cut myself off. The last issue I read, not only had me looking to buy the next issue; but also the concurrent and next issue of Justice League and the concurrent issue of Nightwing.

Granted, that's comics and that's how they're supposed to be. But price of comics had FAR outpaced inflation since the late 1980's/early 1990's.

They are pretty pricy, especially if you want to by the "variant covers". One much less expensive way to do it is to wait until the local store (if there's one in your area) has their "back issue" sales. They generally do this every couple months and most stuff is 50% off.

I know for me I've replaced my smoking habit with a comic book habit so I can buy 4 or 5 books a week and still spend half the amount I was spending on cigarettes.

Mjölnir
05-19-2015, 04:36 PM
The shop I frequent let's me maintain a subscription box. They give a discount if you subscribe to more than 7 titles, may want to see if your local place does something like that too.

Mjölnir
05-19-2015, 04:37 PM
And, female Thor's normal identity has been revealed.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20150129232401/marveldatabase/images/8/8a/Thor_(Female)_(Earth-616)_from_Thor_Vol_4_1.jpg

sandsjames
05-19-2015, 04:55 PM
The shop I frequent let's me maintain a subscription box. They give a discount if you subscribe to more than 7 titles, may want to see if your local place does something like that too.Yeah, I've got my "pull list" and a box. For every 10 punches on my card I get $5 credit. Works out to about 10% (a little more because the owner actually rounds up, which is great, so if I spend $42 it counts the same as if I spend $50)

sandsjames
05-19-2015, 04:56 PM
And, female Thor's normal identity has been revealed.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20150129232401/marveldatabase/images/8/8a/Thor_(Female)_(Earth-616)_from_Thor_Vol_4_1.jpg

I see that's from Earth 616. I wonder where the story is gonna go now that there is no more 616. Battleworld already has the Thor Corps and I didn't see her. I'm sure she'll show up at some point.

Bos Mutus
05-19-2015, 05:02 PM

Baseball cards were a big thing when I was a kid. There was none of htat Upper Deck or Fleer that I remember, it was all about Topps...they were the only "real baseball cards"

This was in the 70s before it became a big collector thing to maintain the cards in pristine condition as an investment, etc.

I rarely bought the cards...woudl start out each year either borrowing...or a friend would give me his "doubles" (duplicates of identical cards he had)...or some kids were have "chuck-ups" in which they would take a few cards they didn't want, or just to create chaos would yell "Chuck-Ups" and throw the cards in the air for the rest of us to scramble and get them...great fun.

One you had a few, you could go into Flips. Flips...was when you start with the same number of cards, you could Flip 5 or Flip 10, most commonly. Anyway, you whoevre challenged had to put the first card down, then the next person puts a card on top if it, if the banner was the same color, you win all the cards on the pile. You keep going through until one person is completely out of cards....whatever you win, you get to keep. By regularly playing flips, you could gather quite a collection over time.

We would keep our cards in a shoebox at home, maybe bring in 20-30 to school each day to play flips or trade for favorite players. Being a Reds fan, my goal was always to collect all the Reds...getting Pete Rose and Johnny Bench would cost...sometimes 5 or 10 other cards or more, depending on who the players were... to get that one, but it would become my prized possession.

At home, me and my brothers would play "Flick Baseball"...it amounts to setting up a little baseball field on the floor. You set your players in defensive positions...the offensive team then flicks their cards with a finger...if it lands within one card length of an outfiielder, or touching an infielder card, it is an out...lands between infield and outfield is a single, past the outfield is a double, leaning against the wall is a triple, and of course flicking it over the wall is a home run....we played that game for hours on rainy days. Your favorite players would eventually get worn and soft from the flicking, so you'd have to substitute in a newer stiff card of you wanted to get good flicks.

...but you're right, once they became a "collector item" for adults, all the fun was gone. I probably outgrew them by then...but all those other cards started popping up, Upper Deck, Fleers, that were designed and made as "money making collections"...which, I don't think ever works...to make money on a collection you gotta collect something that no one else thinks is collectable, out of pure hobby/joy... and then have it become collectable by others at a later time.

sandsjames
05-19-2015, 05:46 PM
...but you're right, once they became a "collector item" for adults, all the fun was gone. I probably outgrew them by then...but all those other cards started popping up, Upper Deck, Fleers, that were designed and made as "money making collections"...which, I don't think ever works...to make money on a collection you gotta collect something that no one else thinks is collectable, out of pure hobby/joy... and then have it become collectable by others at a later time.I'm not a "collector" of the comic books. I buy them in order to read them, then I put them in a box. I try to keep them in good shape because, well, you never know, but I've never bought anything specifically for collecting purposes.

Bos Mutus
05-19-2015, 06:24 PM
I'm not a "collector" of the comic books. I buy them in order to read them, then I put them in a box. I try to keep them in good shape because, well, you never know, but I've never bought anything specifically for collecting purposes.

I bought the original proof sets of all the State Quarters when they first started coming out...they would come in a set of 5 each year as they were issues. I bought two copies, one for each daughter...they are still in my closet somewhere...probably not worth anything more than what I paid for them...again, because they were designed and made as collectibles, which is not how you make money on collections.

sandsjames
05-19-2015, 06:51 PM
I bought the original proof sets of all the State Quarters when they first started coming out...they would come in a set of 5 each year as they were issues. I bought two copies, one for each daughter...they are still in my closet somewhere...probably not worth anything more than what I paid for them...again, because they were designed and made as collectibles, which is not how you make money on collections.

Exactly. The stuff that will be worth money won't be the stuff designed to be collected. It's gonna be the stuff that nobody even thought about being a collectible. What makes something worth money is that nobody else has it. If everyone has access to it, it really defeats the purpose. That's why I read my comics. I'm not going to treat them like shit, but I'm also not going to make sure they are stored in a cool, dry, UV protected room. Of course I'll probably regret that 30 years from now when I'm telling my grandkids "You should have seen my comic book collection, it would have been worth a fortune today".

It's funny thinking about the baseball cards. I think most of mine ended up being used in the spokes of my bike to make the motorcycle sound. We also played the baseball game you mentioned with them. Same as marbles. I'd love to have all those back in pristine condition (and Hot Wheels now that I think about) but it was much more fun playing with them.

garhkal
05-19-2015, 08:37 PM
A female thor? Did they do that just to be more 'sexually inclusive"??

Mjölnir
05-19-2015, 08:47 PM

No, they have done it a few times in the past (at least twice), at least once Loki turned him into a female.

The basic storyline is that Nick Fury whispers something (still don't know exactly what) to Thor which makes him 'unworthy' to pick up Mjölnir. He tries for weeks and then along comes a mystery woman who picks it up and gets all the powers of Thor. While she is fighting some baddies Thor shows up to claim Mjölnir but it won't come back to him and he sees her using it and all his powers. He basically says "if the hammer trusts her, I trust her, she is Thor & call me Odinson." The storyline has been going on about 9 months.

sandsjames
05-19-2015, 09:16 PM
A female thor? Did they do that just to be more 'sexually inclusive"??There are many, many Thors...Thor Odinson is the one we are most familiar with...

MikeKerriii
05-22-2015, 04:22 AM

Not really, you should see the alien Thor that looks like a horse or Frog Thor

garhkal
05-22-2015, 06:52 AM
Last comic i remember getting, was one of the Xmen like titles after the Operation: Zero tolerance/Hunt for Xavier storylines..