PDA

View Full Version : Minimum wage

sandsjames
05-11-2015, 08:21 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/11/opinions/owens-lathrop-minimum-wage-debate/index.html

Apparently, there are no single white males currently working for minimum wage. Just parents, women, and minorities.

The impact of the bolder proposal for America's workforce would be widely felt. According to recent estimates by the Economic Policy Institute, the new wage rate of $12 per hour will boost earnings for some 10 million parents, 21 million women and nearly 18 million workers of color.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
05-11-2015, 08:44 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/11/opinions/owens-lathrop-minimum-wage-debate/index.html

Apparently, there are no single white males currently working for minimum wage. Just parents, women, and minorities.

Well, what did you expect to read from a leftist? The Hillary/Barack/Al Sharpton camp want nothing more than to perpetuate the equality/sexist/racist myth.

sandsjames
05-11-2015, 08:53 PM
Well, what did you expect to read from a leftist? The Hillary/Barack/Al Sharpton camp want nothing more than to perpetuate the equality/sexist/racist myth.

I'm just happy that there aren't any white guys working shitty jobs. Our plan is working.

sandsjames
05-11-2015, 09:02 PM
Just seems counterproductive to me. Do they realize that by posting stats like this they are alienating a very large portion of the voting population? Seems like it would make more sense to mention overall numbers (though I guess it's more important to keep up the kayfabe that all white men are rich).

Absinthe Anecdote
05-11-2015, 09:13 PM
Just seems counterproductive to me. Do they realize that by posting stats like this they are alienating a very large portion of the voting population? Seems like it would make more sense to mention overall numbers (though I guess it's more important to keep up the kayfabe that all white men are rich).

Who is they? CNN or the Economic Policy Institute?

Either way, why would either be concerned with alienating voters since neither is running for an office.

I'm single and white, and not the least bit offended by that citation. Why are you?

Why not ask CNN why they omitted the stats for single while males?

I expect that kind of commentary from garkhal and Rainmaker, but not you. Did you turn into a hypersensitive white victim in my absence?

sandsjames
05-11-2015, 09:21 PM

Either way, why would either be concerned with alienating voters since neither is running for an office.

I'm single and white, and not the least bit offended by that citation. Why are you? I'm not offended by it. I'm extremely happy that the white man is still able to keep the minorities in the low paying jobs while we sore to new heights with no concerns of earning a living wage.

Absinthe Anecdote
05-11-2015, 09:35 PM
I'm not offended by it. I'm extremely happy that the white man is still able to keep the minorities in the low paying jobs while we sore to new heights with no concerns of earning a living wage.

If your arms start hurting while you soar to new heights, try putting some Absorbine Junior on them. I'm sure that flapping hurts after a while.

Now off to the white BBQ thread that garkhal just started!

Quickly! You don't want to be late and miss out on all the fun.

sandsjames
05-11-2015, 09:50 PM
If your arms start hurting while you soar to new heights, try putting some Absorbine Junior on them. I'm sure that flapping hurts after a while.

Now off to the white BBQ thread that garkhal just started!

Quickly! You don't want to be late and miss out on all the fun.

Oh, dear...got me on the homophone error.

Mjölnir
05-11-2015, 11:34 PM
http://img.studyin-uk.com/images/blog/homophones.jpg

TJMAC77SP
05-12-2015, 04:46 AM

I'm single and white, and not the least bit offended by that citation. Why are you?

Why not ask CNN why they omitted the stats for single while males?

I expect that kind of commentary from garkhal and Rainmaker, but not you. Did you turn into a hypersensitive white victim in my absence?

Maybe not offensive but curious choice of cherry picking which stats to highlight.

Absinthe Anecdote
05-12-2015, 12:41 PM
Maybe not offensive but curious choice of cherry picking which stats to highlight.

Maybe not so curious when one considers the demographics of the groups that such a decision would be the most relevant to.

At least not to me.

How raising the minimum wage to $15 per hour would be most relevant to this white-boy, is what it would do to the price of a Happy Meal.

Also, it might even prompt fast food chains to develop robotic burger flippers and destroy even more unskilled jobs.

Heck, that might be a good thing. I'd rather eat a burrito or a burger made by a robot, than I would one the was made by a 17-year old kid with dirty hands.

efmbman
05-12-2015, 12:49 PM

In this age of corporate owned news sources, I would suspect that any and all stats are cherry picked to reinforce the theme of the article. The theme (storyline) is what the viewer wants to see. A news program is no more than a favorite sitcom these days. These news organizations feed their customers with news and stats they know will be believed - this is what the customer expects, so the customer tunes in to watch.

Absinthe Anecdote
05-12-2015, 01:53 PM
In this age of corporate owned news sources, I would suspect that any and all stats are cherry picked to reinforce the theme of the article. The theme (storyline) is what the viewer wants to see. A news program is no more than a favorite sitcom these days. These news organizations feed their customers with news and stats they know will be believed - this is what the customer expects, so the customer tunes in to watch.

I would argue that it isn't necessarily a bad thing either. In the age of the internet, media outlets have become more segmented than ever before.

There are far more niche markets to satisfy a consumer's desire for a particular editorial slant today, than 20 years ago.

If we rolled back the clock to pre-1995, there would be no garkhal ranting about white appreciation days at BBQ joints. There would be no SJ starting threads about white folks getting snubbed by CNN either.

We can easily satisfy our desire for a particular type of information in 2015.

Bitching about an editorial lockdown in the news media is absurd in this day and age. All one has to do is spend a few seconds clattering away at a keyboard, and a few clicks later, they can easily find an alternative to CNN.

Not only that, we have a much easier means to make our voices heard today, than in years past.