PDA

View Full Version : Charity donations and political/religious affiliation

garhkal
05-06-2015, 06:19 PM
Over on another site where we are discussing charities and who seems to give the most , liberal/conservative, catholic/atheist, and so on, someone mentioned that in their workplace they DID notice that liberals (democrats) were a lot less likely to not only give money to charities, but to volunteer time to work for charities.

I mentioned in response to that, that back in 08 or so i did do a poll on my shop when i was acting as our shop's CFC and NMCRS rep, that of the 18 people we had in it (8 dem, 3 independent, 9 reps) of the republicans, 7 of 9 donated. All 3 independents donated, but only 3 of the 8 dems did..
So to MY observations the statement being made, that democrats/liberals are less likely to donate/give to charity was proven true..

SO in YOUR experience, do you see more donating to charities from those on the left, right or middle politically.
What about when it comes to religion? Do you see more charity work from Atheists or Catholics/Christians?
What of the Married/single divide. Have you seen much of a disparity there?

sandsjames
05-06-2015, 08:20 PM
Over on another site where we are discussing charities and who seems to give the most , liberal/conservative, catholic/atheist, and so on, someone mentioned that in their workplace they DID notice that liberals (democrats) were a lot less likely to not only give money to charities, but to volunteer time to work for charities.

I mentioned in response to that, that back in 08 or so i did do a poll on my shop when i was acting as our shop's CFC and NMCRS rep, that of the 18 people we had in it (8 dem, 3 independent, 9 reps) of the republicans, 7 of 9 donated. All 3 independents donated, but only 3 of the 8 dems did..
So to MY observations the statement being made, that democrats/liberals are less likely to donate/give to charity was proven true..

SO in YOUR experience, do you see more donating to charities from those on the left, right or middle politically.
What about when it comes to religion? Do you see more charity work from Atheists or Catholics/Christians?
What of the Married/single divide. Have you seen much of a disparity there?

Never paid attention, though a lot of it might have to do with the conservatives being more worried about being able to get the tax deductions. But as far as who does it most, never paid attention.

garhkal
05-07-2015, 03:57 AM
The main reason i saw it was brought up was in response from a person who is an outspoken liberal, saying we need more government involvement in the poor neighborhoods cause of the LACK of people giving to charity, and when he was pressed on whether HE ever gives, he replied NO. That's not my job, its the government's.

Rusty Jones
05-07-2015, 09:44 AM
Dropping money in the offering plate at church and doing outreach activities with your church counts toward these numbers, and since conservatives are more religious.... well, there you have it. Take that away, and you're not left with much.

garhkal
05-07-2015, 07:45 PM
Dropping money in the offering plate at church and doing outreach activities with your church counts toward these numbers, and since conservatives are more religious.... well, there you have it. Take that away, and you're not left with much.

True, more conservatives go to church than liberals, but that is not the only charitable donations i see Conservatives make.
Take volunteer days at work, where there was a community support project to do. I'd say most of the conservatives i knew in the work place were up for going. Those who were liberal in outlook, seemed to be the most likely to come up with excuses to get out of it.
Same as when it came time for the annual NMCRS drive or Combined federal campaign.

Bos Mutus
05-07-2015, 07:57 PM
True, more conservatives go to church than liberals, but that is not the only charitable donations i see Conservatives make.
Take volunteer days at work, where there was a community support project to do. I'd say most of the conservatives i knew in the work place were up for going. Those who were liberal in outlook, seemed to be the most likely to come up with excuses to get out of it.
Same as when it came time for the annual NMCRS drive or Combined federal campaign.

I think you are making up facts to suit your purpose.

In fact, I did a poll of my facebook friends...40 people that identify as liberals and 40 that identify as conservatives.

36 of the liberals did community service in the last month....only 22 of the conservatives did.

All 22 of the conservatives had previously posted their community service on their pages so every could see that they did it. 8 of those 22 were doing court-ordered community service.

Liberals did theirs quietly and only reluctantly admitted to it during my poll.

So, that proves it...liberals are better people.