PDA

View Full Version : Time for a woman to be on the 20 dollar bill?

garhkal
04-23-2015, 07:56 AM
What say you all to this? Is it about time, in the issue of fairness and equality, for one of our bills to feature someone OTHER than a founding father/Former president?

If so, who should it be?

http://www.theblaze.com/blog/2015/04/22/dems-propose-bills-aimed-at-kicking-andrew-jackson-off-the-20-bill-and-replacing-him-with-a-woman/

http://q13fox.com/2015/04/22/making-change-lawmakers-want-a-woman-on-the-20-bill/

http://www.wibw.com/home/nationalnews/headlines/Its-Time-To-Put-A-Woman-On-The-20-bill--295231461.html

http://money.cnn.com/2015/03/05/news/economy/20-bill-women/index.html

sandsjames
04-23-2015, 11:46 AM
What say you all to this? Is it about time, in the issue of fairness and equality, for one of our bills to feature someone OTHER than a founding father/Former president?

If so, who should it be?

http://www.theblaze.com/blog/2015/04/22/dems-propose-bills-aimed-at-kicking-andrew-jackson-off-the-20-bill-and-replacing-him-with-a-woman/

http://q13fox.com/2015/04/22/making-change-lawmakers-want-a-woman-on-the-20-bill/

http://www.wibw.com/home/nationalnews/headlines/Its-Time-To-Put-A-Woman-On-The-20-bill--295231461.html

http://money.cnn.com/2015/03/05/news/economy/20-bill-women/index.html

I say "Who gives a shit?"

I mean, yeah, it's about time. We also need a woman at Mt. Rushmore because it's just a sausage fest up there right now.

Mjölnir
04-23-2015, 12:01 PM
There have already been women on coins (Susan B. Anthony & Sacajawea.)

I do not have an issue with putting a noteworthy female who has made significant contributions to the United States on a bill per se, am curious if the intent is to replace the existing portrait, have multiple versions etc.

sandsjames
04-23-2015, 01:28 PM
I do not have an issue with putting a noteworthy female who has made significant contributions to the United States on a bill per se, am curious if the intent is to replace the existing portrait, have multiple versions etc.I was thinking the same thing. Would it replace someone? Or just add to what is currently there?

Personally, I feel that adding a woman for the sake of it defeats the purpose. Adding a person who warrants it, if it happens to be a woman, is fine.

However, currently everyone on the bills I'm able to spend was a President. We have not had a female President, so it doesn't make sense to have a woman on any bills as it stands.

Mjölnir
04-23-2015, 02:54 PM
However, currently everyone on the bills I'm able to spend was a President. We have not had a female President, so it doesn't make sense to have a woman on any bills as it stands.

Except Ben Franklin & Alexander Hamilton ...

Rusty Jones
04-23-2015, 03:51 PM
Abraham Lincoln was the founder of the Republican party, hence his face on the penny and the $5 bill. Andrew Jackson was the founder of the Democratic party, hence his face on the $20 bill.

If you need a woman on currency, the best thing would be the nickel. Thomas Jefferson is already on the $2 bill, so why does he need to be on the nickel? By the way, I do believe that we need to do away with paper $1 and $2 bills, and go to coins for both of them - and increase the number of $2 pieces in circulation. Most other countries put denominations of similar value on coins. I'd much rather have $1 and $2 coins in my pocket than a bunch of bills bulking up my wallet. Also, if most people are anything like me, it could help the economy. When I've got a bunch of coins in my pockets... I normally try to spend them as fast as I can.

Putting a woman on the penny would be a viable option as well, since Lincoln is already on the $5 bill... but the penny needs to go. The penny became totally useless the day the cheapest "penny candy" started to cost a nickel.

Mjölnir
04-23-2015, 03:55 PM
Abraham Lincoln was the founder of the Republican party, hence his face on the penny and the $5 bill. Andrew Jackson was the founder of the Democratic party, hence his face on the $20 bill.

I don't follow, are you saying there is a correlation between what they did and the denomination?

sandsjames
04-23-2015, 03:57 PM

This probably shows my general American ignorance but I forgot that Hamilton wasn't a President.

Mjölnir
04-23-2015, 04:09 PM
This probably shows my general American ignorance but I forgot that Hamilton wasn't a President.

For what it is worth, Franklin was the "President of Pennsylvania" before the post was renamed as the "Governor" ...

sandsjames
04-23-2015, 04:13 PM
For what it is worth, Franklin was the "President of Pennsylvania" before the post was renamed as the "Governor" ...

Either way, those two had a huge impact on the formation of this country so I think it's pretty warranted. I'm curious to know which woman would be considered at the same level as any of the current faces on our money.

Rusty Jones
04-23-2015, 04:24 PM
I don't follow, are you saying there is a correlation between what they did and the denomination?

Not the specific denominations, no. I'm saying that what they did made them part of the elite few that get to be put on US currency. I really don't think that removing the founder of one of the two major US political parties from US currency makes much sense. What does make sense is looking at those who are on more than one denomination - i.e., Lincoln and Jefferson. Jefferson is really the only viable candidate, since the penny should - and likely will be - done away with.

If a woman MUST be on paper currency, then it makes more sense to replace Ulysses Grant. Grant was one of the greatest generals in US history, no doubt, but he wouldn't have been on the $50 bill had he not been president... and he's ranked as one of the worst presidents. Granted, this was likely due to uncooperative Congressmen from former Confederate states, but still... Andrew Jackson's presidency has had a greater impact on our history than Ulysses Grant's.

sandsjames
04-23-2015, 04:47 PM
For all I care they can take Thomas Jefferson off and replace him with George Jefferson. As long as it still spends the same it makes no difference. Hell, get rid of the faces and put pictures, landmarks, doesn't matter.

I wouldn't recommend getting rid of the $1 though because strip clubs would be a lot more difficult and I'd have to make it hail, which could be painful.

Mjölnir
04-23-2015, 04:50 PM
Either way, those two had a huge impact on the formation of this country so I think it's pretty warranted. I'm curious to know which woman would be considered at the same level as any of the current faces on our money.

Good point, level of impact is probably subjective based on what is important to you / your group / consituency. Many countries have individuals who have contributed to national culture / identity etc. on thier currency (some even with different versions of the same denomination of a bill):

Women's Rights: Susan B. Anthony
Science / Education: Grace Hopper
Lierature: Louisa May Alcott, Emily Dickenson
Humanitarianism: Clara Barton
Civil Rights: Rosa Parks
Exploration: Sally Ride, Sacajawea
Other: Hellen Keller

I think it may make sense if they do change a bill to take Andrew Jackson off the $20 ... he was opposed to paper mnoey and preferred hard currency ... kind of ironic to put him on a bill.

garhkal
04-23-2015, 09:57 PM

True, both Hamilton and Franklin were not Presidents but they were both Founders of our nation.

By the way, I do believe that we need to do away with paper $1 and $2 bills, and go to coins for both of them - and increase the number of $2 pieces in circulation. Most other countries put denominations of similar value on coins.

Egads. me and you see Eye to Eye on that. I know when i lived in the UK, they did away with Pound notes and had 1 and 2 pound coins. Heck someone last year told me that there were rumors flying around they would do the same to the 5 pound note and make it a coin as well.
So i agree, we would do well to remove the 1 dollar bill and go to only dollar coins. As for 2 dollar notes, i have YET to see one though i have heard they are in circulation.

On one site we are discussing this, there are several dozen people calling for Thatcher to be on one, IF she was a US Citizen....
Or Mother Teressa.

USN - Retired
04-23-2015, 10:26 PM
Here are my nominees ...

Ruth Madoff
Leona Helmsley - The Queen of Mean
Deborah Ann "Debbie" Harry - I like her music
Martha Stewart
Kimberly "Kim" Kardashian
Paris Hilton
Anna Nicole Smith - a stripper who married a multi-millionaire.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
04-23-2015, 11:45 PM
Hillary....our next POTUS. Done. Next thread.

Rusty Jones
04-24-2015, 07:03 PM
Here are my nominees ...

Ruth Madoff
Leona Helmsley - The Queen of Mean
Deborah Ann "Debbie" Harry - I like her music
Martha Stewart
Kimberly "Kim" Kardashian
Paris Hilton
Anna Nicole Smith - a stripper who married a multi-millionaire.

Well, we could always put that famous "Heads I win/Tails you lose" coin into circulation. Afterall, that's probably what the Kim Kardashian coin would look like in the first place.

Mjölnir
04-24-2015, 07:20 PM
Well, we could always put that famous "Heads I win/Tails you lose" coin into circulation. Afterall, that's probably what the Kim Kardashian coin would look like in the first place.

Kim Kardashian on a coin sounds more like "heads we lose, tails we lose."

WINTHORP1
04-24-2015, 08:27 PM
Why change it at all? All this talk to change just one bill. Leave well enough alone, unless we are going to completely redo all the bills and start from scratch. In that case, hold a national vote for who should be on what bill.

garhkal
04-24-2015, 08:43 PM
Why change it at all? All this talk to change just one bill. Leave well enough alone, unless we are going to completely redo all the bills and start from scratch. In that case, hold a national vote for who should be on what bill.

Agreed. IMO just changing one bill, JUST cause some feel its "Time we had a woman on the money" is not imo a good enough reason to do so.

USN - Retired
04-25-2015, 12:44 AM
Here's an idea: All denominations of US paper currency should have a picture of a Playboy playmate.

Hillary....our next POTUS. Done. Next thread.

Now be honest - which would you rather look at on our paper currency - a picture of a Playboy playmate or a picture of Hillary Clinton?

sandsjames
04-25-2015, 12:45 PM

No...no...no...not a national vote. Do you see what happens on reality shows?

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
04-25-2015, 01:32 PM
Here's an idea: All denominations of US paper currency should have a picture of a Playboy playmate.

Now be honest - which would you rather look at on our paper currency - a picture of a Playboy playmate or a picture of Hillary Clinton?

Hillary, AFTER she poses for Playboy. Yeah baby!

Mjölnir
04-25-2015, 01:42 PM
Hillary, AFTER she poses for Playboy. Yeah baby!

Well, she wasn't overly unattractive a few decades ago, but it may be a combination of years & mileage at this point.

garhkal
04-25-2015, 09:07 PM
No...no...no...not a national vote. Do you see what happens on reality shows?

Being anyone can vote on those shows and can do so multiple times, i agree. IF we did it have a public referendum where only those LEGALLY registered to vote get to decide.
Now if we can just enforce voting laws, then we would be good!

sandsjames
04-25-2015, 11:49 PM
Being anyone can vote on those shows and can do so multiple times, i agree. IF we did it have a public referendum where only those LEGALLY registered to vote get to decide.
Now if we can just enforce voting laws, then we would be good!

I don't think the public referendum would be any better, unless there were only a select few that people could vote on.

Now, as much as I dislike Obama, I could see him getting a currency. Whether you like him, hate him, or don't care, he is the first black President and that's a huge deal. Plus, he and Thomas Jefferson did more to kill race relations so if it's good enough for Jefferson, it's good enough for Barry.

garhkal
04-26-2015, 10:08 PM
Prob is jefferson is a former (AND DEAD) president. Not a current living one.

Bos Mutus
05-15-2015, 12:18 AM
And, the winner is....

Meet The WinnerHarriet Tubman (c.1822 - 1913)“Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”
Considered by many the “Moses” of her time, escaped slave Harriet Tubman became one of the country’s leading abolitionists before the Civil War. She returned to the South an estimated 19 times to rescue her family and others from bondage as a “conductor” on what was known as the Underground Railroad, an elaborate secret network of safe houses leading to freedom in the North. Later, with her intimate knowledge of the geography and transportation systems of the South, she became a valuable asset to the Union army as a spy and scout. Her Herculean accomplishments were attributed to extraordinary courage, shrewdness and determination. The Quaker Thomas Garrett said of her, “If she had been a white woman, she would have been heralded as the greatest woman of her age.”
Harriet Tubman was born sometime between 1820 and 1825 to enslaved parents in Dorchester County, Maryland. Originally named Araminta, one of nine children, she saw her father freed and many of her siblings sold in the typically fractured slave family dynamic of the time. At 13 she suffered a crippling blow to the head while refusing to help restrain a captured escapee, resulting in a life of seizures, headaches and narcolepsy. She also began at that young age, experiencing visions and vivid dreams that she believed were revelations from God. In 1848, Tubman summoned her defiance and fled to Philadelphia by way of the Underground Railroad.
Soon, Tubman began her forays back into Dixie, rescuing siblings, nieces, strangers and, on her last trip, her aging parents. She frequently outwitted her pursuers, using disguises and evasive tactics, later boasting she never lost a single passenger on the road to freedom. During the Civil War, Union soldiers, who had little knowledge of the country beyond their own small towns, relied on Tubman to guide them when poorly drawn and outdated maps could not. A gifted healer, Tubman also nursed the wounded.
After the war, Tubman continued her service to others. She advocated for education and property for freed slaves in the South and she cared for the elderly and poor. Later, she joined the early campaigners for women’s equality and suffrage. And finally, after retiring to a farm outside of Auburn, New York, she secured a pension for herself of $20 per month for her contributions to the Civil War effort. When she died in 1913, called “General Tubman” by her admirers, she was laid to rest with military honors –- one of the first recorded African American women to serve in the military.
Harriet Tubman’s life serves as an example of triumph over adversity and perseverance in service to others and her country. If you believe she deserves to be honored alongside other great Americans on our paper currency, serving as a wonderful role model for young people everywhere, please show your support by joining our Virtual March to the White House, using the hashtag #DearMrPresident.

Okay, I don't know what she won exactly...but apparently "Women on 20s" is some sort of organization that was heading up this campaign.

They had previous narrowed the search down to 4 finalists. Tubman, Eleanor Roosevelt, Rosa Parks and Wilma Mankiller...with Tubman emerging as the eventual winner. Now they will bug the President and whoever else they need to in order to get it done.

I suppose it could happen. I remember a few years ago there was a big campaign to get Reagan on the $10 bill...guess that died off.

garhkal
05-15-2015, 07:26 AM
What irked me to heck off about that 'campaign' site, was when you went there to vote, you ONLY had the option to vote for one of the 15 gals. NO chance to vote "None of the above, don't change the 20. Or to vote in someone Not on that list". It was effectively rigged.

Rusty Jones
05-15-2015, 11:50 AM
I don't think Andrew Jackson is the one to be replaced. Ulysses Grant on the $50, if someone HAD to be replaced, would be the prime candidate IMO. He's not there because he was a great general. He's there because he was president. And he's ranked near the bottom.

I didn't vote, but the only way I would have is if Mother Jones was an option.

sandsjames
05-15-2015, 12:04 PM
I didn't vote, but the only way I would have is if Mother Jones was an option.So someone many have never heard of? Had to look her up, hoping it would jog my memory as to who she was but no luck. Looks like she did some pretty impressive stuff but it would be tough to get support for someone so obscure.

Rusty Jones
05-15-2015, 12:09 PM
So someone many have never heard of? Had to look her up, hoping it would jog my memory as to who she was but no luck. Looks like she did some pretty impressive stuff but it would be tough to get support for someone so obscure.

She was a major figure in the labor movements in the latter half of the 19th century, and is discussed in most high school and college post-1865 US history courses. There's even a Mother Jones magazine, still in publication. Being an HR professional, I'm probably going to be more familiar with her than most, but most should have some rudimentary knowledge of who she was and what she did.

sandsjames
05-15-2015, 12:11 PM
She was a major figure in the labor movements in the latter half of the 19th century, and is discussed in most high school and college post-1865 US history courses. There's even a Mother Jones magazine, still in publication. Being an HR professional, I'm probably going to be more familiar with her than most, but most should have some rudimentary knowledge of who she was and what she did.

I just read up on her a little bit. Seems pretty interesting and I'm not saying she wouldn't warrant being on the 50. Just saying it would be hard to justify based on the general lack of knowledge about her.

Bos Mutus
05-15-2015, 03:12 PM
I didn't vote, but the only way I would have is if Mother Jones was an option.

I'm sure she was wonderful, but do you really think they're gonna put your Mom on the $20?

Absinthe Anecdote
05-15-2015, 03:23 PM
I'm sure she was wonderful, but do you really think they're gonna put your Mom on the $20?

Does she have red hair and look like this guy?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2c/RustyJoneslogo.jpg

Rusty Jones
05-15-2015, 09:10 PM
Does she have red hair and look like this guy?

Or this guy?

http://5mag.co/5store/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/old-dirty-bastard-legend-770x473.jpg

garhkal
05-15-2015, 09:38 PM
So someone many have never heard of? Had to look her up, hoping it would jog my memory as to who she was but no luck. Looks like she did some pretty impressive stuff but it would be tough to get support for someone so obscure.

If i was to have voted for a woman to be on any bill, i would have voted for Mother Teressa!

Rusty Jones
05-15-2015, 09:41 PM
If i was to have voted for a woman to be on any bill, i would have voted for Mother Teressa!

I would think that the prerequisite for being on US currency is that you have to be, you know, American. I don't think that it's an actual written rule, but it appears to be a rule in practice.

sandsjames
05-15-2015, 09:50 PM
Or this guy?

http://5mag.co/5store/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/old-dirty-bastard-legend-770x473.jpg

Replace "E Pluribus Unum" "Ol' Dirty Bastard". That would be pretty sweet.

garhkal
05-16-2015, 10:08 PM
I would think that the prerequisite for being on US currency is that you have to be, you know, American. I don't think that it's an actual written rule, but it appears to be a rule in practice.

And all those on our currency are (by the rules) former (Dead) presidents, or founders of the nation.
Since this group is already wanting to change the rules to suit their purpose (get a woman on a bill), why not change it whole hock, to allow ANYONE of importance to be on them.

Mjölnir
05-16-2015, 11:56 PM
And all those on our currency are (by the rules) former (Dead) presidents, or founders of the nation.
Since this group is already wanting to change the rules to suit their purpose (get a woman on a bill), why not change it whole hock, to allow ANYONE of importance to be on them.

It isn't so much a rule but a tradition. Congress actually establishes the criteria for the currency via legislation (law) that is specific for each denomination. But there is no law about who can be considered to be on the currency -- it is actually anyone Congress designates (the first U.S. one dollar bill had a portrait of the Secretary f the Treasury.)

Don't forget Sacajawea & Susan B. Anthony -- neither a president, neither a founding father.

garhkal
05-17-2015, 04:42 AM
Weren't those 2 on coins vice bills though?

Mjölnir
05-17-2015, 05:47 AM
Weren't those 2 on coins vice bills though?

Yep. Bills and coinage -- the designs for both are approved by Congress, but no set set of rules on who can be placed on them.