PDA

View Full Version : Girl scouts to allow boys in, as long as those boys 'feel they are girls"..

garhkal
04-23-2015, 06:53 AM
Words can't describe the stupidity imo of this decision.

http://www.standard.net/News/2015/04/15/New-Girl-Scout-troop-starts-at-Utah-gay-pride-center.html

http://www.therainbowtimesmass.com/2015/04/22/trans-lgbt-kids-accepted-in-new-girls-scouts-troop/

http://www.gopusa.com/freshink/2015/04/22/the-latest-downward-slide-for-girl-scouts-girl-is-now-optional/#comment-70041

What i would like to know, is if boys can now join the girl scouts, girls (and gays) can now join the boy scouts etc, WHY the heck even have the organizations separate anymore?

sandsjames
04-23-2015, 10:56 AM
Words can't describe the stupidity imo of this decision.

What i would like to know, is if boys can now join the girl scouts, girls (and gays) can now join the boy scouts etc, WHY the heck even have the organizations separate anymore?

Yep...just have "The Scouts".

It's really a contradiction. "They" want every single person to celebrate their "individuality", yet they take it away by trying to make everyone the same.

I will say this, though. What this has done is taken all of your usual "Why is there a double standard" complaints about girls being allowed in boys groups but not the other way around, and throw them out the door.

Mjölnir
04-23-2015, 11:10 AM
The Scouting movement does have a coed organization (Venture Scouting) that Boy or Girl Scouts can feed into Venturing at age 14 (13 if they have completed 8th grade.)

I am an Eagle Scout & have been an adult leader for Scouting for 22 years; and I think allowing females into the traditionally male units and vice versa are not necessarily a bad thing; the organizations focus on different things:

Citizenship etc is common amongst them.
BSA focuses heavily on the outdoors, conservation, community service etc.
GSA focuses on outdoors (different emphasis from high adventure), community service, social activitiies

sandsjames
04-23-2015, 12:24 PM
I am an Eagle Scout & have been an adult leader for Scouting for 22 years; and I think allowing females into the traditionally male units and vice versa are not necessarily a bad thing; the organizations focus on different things:

Citizenship etc is common amongst them.
BSA focuses heavily on the outdoors, conservation, community service etc.
GSA focuses on outdoors (different emphasis from high adventure), community service, social activitiies

Instead, why not just have the two organizations focus on a couple of the things that the other one does, in addition to the traditional? That way, a girl could still be a girl scout but be able to enjoy some of the other activities. IMO, it's far less "progressive" to allow these organizations to be co-ed then it is make modifications to the current programs. This current change is basically saying "in order to do boy stuff, you still have to be in the boy scouts". Modifications to both organizations would be saying "you can do the same stuff as the boys do while still being a girl". That seems much healthier, IMO.

My biggest problem is that "they" are trying to teach that there is no difference between boys and girls when, even though many of the interests may be the same, the differences are clear.

hustonj
04-23-2015, 06:56 PM
WHY the heck even have the organizations separate anymore?

Because they have slightly different views of the world and employ slightly different methods to try to mold our youth into positive contributors to our society.

I'm not going to say one is better than the other, because they can both accomplish the goal equally as well for different personality types.

You might as well ask why we need more than one athletic activity, ever.

For the record, I am a current volunteer with the BSA and have been a volunteer with the GSA.

sandsjames
04-23-2015, 07:17 PM
Because they have slightly different views of the world and employ slightly different methods to try to mold our youth into positive contributors to our society.

I'm not going to say one is better than the other, because they can both accomplish the goal equally as well for different personality types.

You might as well ask why we need more than one athletic activity, ever.

For the record, I am a current volunteer with the BSA and have been a volunteer with the GSA.

So just change the names of the organizations, then. If it's not "Boy" scouts or "Girl" scouts then quit fooling yourself and fix it. Call it the "Type A" scouts or whatever. It's a freakin' joke and anybody who tries to defend this move is a joke, too.

sandsjames
04-23-2015, 08:38 PM
For those of you who support this boy/girl/whatever you want scout thing, here's the article for you. Way to go LGBTs. I'm so proud of you all for being freaks.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/23/living/transgender-moment-jenner-feat/index.html

I'm done. I give up.

garhkal
04-23-2015, 08:58 PM
Yep...just have "The Scouts".

It's really a contradiction. "They" want every single person to celebrate their "individuality", yet they take it away by trying to make everyone the same.

I will say this, though. What this has done is taken all of your usual "Why is there a double standard" complaints about girls being allowed in boys groups but not the other way around, and throw them out the door.

True, that is one silver lining in all this..

Mjölnir
04-24-2015, 08:53 PM
So just change the names of the organizations, then.

Would be appropriate I think ... "American Scouts", "Scouts" etc.