PDA

View Full Version : Sgt Bergdahl Charged with Desertion

Mjölnir
03-25-2015, 11:50 PM
ABC News: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/sgt-bowe-bergdahl-describes-brutal-conditions-year-captivity/story?id=29911025

For the first time Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl has described in his own words the brutal conditions he endured as a Taliban prisoner for five years, a time during which he said he was kept in constant isolation. Bergdahl also claims he attempted to escape about a dozen times including once where he was able to evade his captors for nine days before being recaptured.

Bergdahl walked away from his unit's outpost in eastern Afghanistan in June, 2009 and was held captive by the Taliban until last May when his freedom was secured in a controversial prisoner swap for five former Taliban leaders being detained at Guantanamo.

On Wednesday the Army charged Bergdahl with desertion and misbehavior before the enemy; he could face life in prison for the latter charge.

garhkal
03-26-2015, 07:11 AM
About damn time! This should have happened within 60 days of him coming back from Afgan.

Rollyn01
03-26-2015, 11:52 AM
About damn time! This should have happened within 60 days of him coming back from Afgan.

Yes, yes definitely yes. I mean, I understand they wanted to get all the facts and give him a fair trial, but I be damn if this thing took longer than it should have.

MitchellJD1969
03-26-2015, 12:36 PM

But...But he served with honor and distinction didnt he?

Rainmaker
03-26-2015, 01:16 PM
Yes, yes definitely yes. I mean, I understand they wanted to get all the facts and give him a fair trial, but I be damn if this thing took longer than it should have.

Any of you Barracks Lawyers know, When does the speedy trial clock start?

Couldn't have that and admit before the mid-term elections that the GOTUS (Golfer of the United States) traded 5 known Killers for a traitor who deserted his post.

In a perfect world this treasonous shit-bag and his (pro-jihadi Old man) would've been lined up in front a firing squad and sent to visit the 72 virgins by now. But, if we ever even see a trial, it won't be till years down the road ( and long after the Muslim Brotherhood gets out of office).

Rollyn01
03-26-2015, 03:12 PM
Any of you Barracks Lawyers know, When does the speedy trial clock start?

Couldn't have that and admit before the mid-term elections that the GOTUS (Golfer of the United States) traded 5 known Killers for a traitor who deserted his post.

In a perfect world this treasonous shit-bag and his (pro-jihadi Old man) would've been lined up in front a firing squad and sent to visit the 72 virgins by now. But, if we ever even see a trial, it won't be till years down the road ( and long after the Muslim Brotherhood gets out of office).

I'm just saying, what took so long to get the process started? I've seen people get art. 15s faster than this for stupid shit. I would think that they would want this to happen as fast as possible regardless of the president's involvement. It's a military issue, not a political call to arms.

By the way, I took a peek in your bunker. You want to explain why there's an empty MP-5 rack? I thought you was stocked. I'm already bring claymores, do I need to bring MP-5s too?

Rainmaker
03-26-2015, 03:44 PM
I'm just saying, what took so long to get the process started? I've seen people get art. 15s faster than this for stupid shit. I would think that they would want this to happen as fast as possible regardless of the president's involvement. It's a military issue, not a political call to arms.

By the way, I took a peek in your bunker. You want to explain why there's an empty MP-5 rack? I thought you was stocked. I'm already bring claymores, do I need to bring MP-5s too?

Seems like an open and shut case. Hell, Rainmaker once even had an NJP read to him over the TACSAT less than an hour after he'd dropped an "item" into the muck below, out the back of PAVE LOW flyin Nape...only dummy cord your shit you don't want to lose .and That was you?? Death waits in the dark.. Man, I Thought I was just Hallucinatin after Uncle-Rastas man had got me all sentimental talking bout his DI days and so, I'd broke out the Ripple and Taylor's Pink Champaign. We Called it Pink-Cham-pipple....Nomsayin?

CYBERFX1024
03-26-2015, 05:36 PM

I thought they did the bulk of the investigation 5 years ago when his ass went "missing". At least that's what I gathered from the all the information that I have gleaned from different sources. So why would they have waited this long to come out and charge him? If they did the bulk of the investigation back then, all they would have to do is get his side of the story and maybe a few other things as well to fully complete the investigation.
Don't tell me that they went to the Haqqini network and was like "Can we get your side of the story to complete our investigation".

Rollyn01
03-26-2015, 06:36 PM
I thought they did the bulk of the investigation 5 years ago when his ass went "missing". At least that's what I gathered from the all the information that I have gleaned from different sources. So why would they have waited this long to come out and charge him? If they did the bulk of the investigation back then, all they would have to do is get his side of the story and maybe a few other things as well to fully complete the investigation.
Don't tell me that they went to the Haqqini network and was like "Can we get your side of the story to complete our investigation".

Now that you said it, as stupid as that sounds, it would be the only explanation of why it took so long. "Yeah, before we formally charge him, we need officially vetted statements from the enemy. Because, you know, fair is fair." Seriously, and these are the same kind of people who think adding more SHARP classes helps. ""Cause it's not like it's a failure to teach servicemembers to respect each other from BCT to unit assignment. Not like respect covers all of that automatically." I swear, I used to resist the whole notion that the military was going weak, stupid and bad. I guess I'm the stupid one for having a vision of a better version of the military.

garhkal
03-26-2015, 06:42 PM
But...But he served with honor and distinction didnt he?

Only in the minds of Obozo and his cronies did he serve with distinction and honor..

It MAY be a mil issue, but the president being the CiC has all the authority he needs to have caused this to be delayed etc..

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
03-27-2015, 01:04 PM
Great, so will the verified supporter of Marxism who is currently living in the White House apologize on MS-LSD for misleading the American public about this so-called "hero?" How about an apology from the leftist, progressive media for ignoring, and in some cases, attempting to discredit the factual claims of desertion by Birdshit's platoon mates?

sandsjames
03-27-2015, 02:26 PM
Seems to me that all the Constitutional lawyers on this forum would be pretty happy that they waited until they had all the evidence before charging someone. You know, freedom, liberty, all that stuff.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
03-27-2015, 03:17 PM
Seems to me that all the Constitutional lawyers on this forum would be pretty happy that they waited until they had all the evidence before charging someone. You know, freedom, liberty, all that stuff.

I know I am. I just wish the leftists in gov and the media equally shared my desire for facts, and respect for the constitution. You and I both know they don't.

garhkal
03-27-2015, 09:36 PM
Great, so will the verified supporter of Marxism who is currently living in the White House apologize on MS-LSD for misleading the American public about this so-called "hero?" How about an apology from the leftist, progressive media for ignoring, and in some cases, attempting to discredit the factual claims of desertion by Birdshit's platoon mates?

Don't hold your breath waiting for it to come.

Stalwart
03-30-2015, 01:57 AM

Sgt Bergdahl does deserve his due process; and whatever consequences result from it.

I don't envy the position he was in for 5 years; but can't help but say that it appears he put himself in that position.

Whether or not the Administration made a good or bad choice in trading people to get Sgt Bergdahl returned is one thing (it did without question violate the 2014 National Defense Authorization Act.) I think they should have just made his return low key - not invited his parents to the White House, not made (possibly premature) statements that he served with honor and distinction etc. and brought him back, got him medically checked out and then let the investigation run its course.

sandsjames
03-30-2015, 10:43 AM
Sgt Bergdahl does deserve his due process; and whatever consequences result from it.

I don't envy the position he was in for 5 years; but can't help but say that it appears he put himself in that position.

Whether or not the Administration made a good or bad choice in trading people to get Sgt Bergdahl returned is one thing (it did without question violate the 2014 National Defense Authorization Act.) I think they should have just made his return low key - not invited his parents to the White House, not made (possibly premature) statements that he served with honor and distinction etc. and brought him back, got him medically checked out and then let the investigation run its course. They definitely did it wrong, making it a production and all.