PDA

View Full Version : Maryland Family Investigated for "Free Range Parenting"

Mjölnir
01-19-2015, 11:12 PM
Fox News: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/15/authorities-investigate-maryland-parents-who-let-kids-walk-home-alone/?intcmp=latestnews

Reason: http://reason.com/blog/2015/01/14/cops-and-cps-threaten-parents-whose-kids

I found this interesting

**My opinion is likely skewed since we have adopted and routinely have in-home visits from social workers etc. inspecting child safety locks to how we keep leftovers in our fridge (no shit).

It seems (from the two stories I read) like the police responded to a call, and once they got the kids to their home, the dad kind of got into a pissing contest with the cop on the front porch. Don't get me confused with saying that people should bend over backwards to surrender their rights but at the same time ... he may have not picked the most opportune time to raise his concerns with the officer, the policy or the law. Would this be unfolding differently if the father had just initially shown the police officer his ID answered his questions and the next day gone down to the station to talk about it with someone?

Add on top of that the mother who when CPS says they would like to come check out the home she refuses. I get it again ... stand up for your rights, but you combine the father's initial low-key interaction with the cop, the mother not wanting CPS to enter the home etc. and I would speculate they were not overly bubbly and cheery in the discussions and they are displaying indicators that law enforcement and child protection professionals key on. Yeah, I will agree that I don’t think they likely are just parenting their kids their way.

Once the police are done with the initial contact, they're required by policy to hand the case over to CPS. What should CPS do? If they don't follow their procedures and this home turns out to be a dangerous place, they get sued. How do they know the home is safe without conducting multiple visits and interviews? Take the word of the parents or kids who are known to keep silent about domestic abuse? I'm sure they've been burned in the past for not doing a thorough enough job and now treat every home as a death trap until they can prove otherwise. Like the police, CPS isn't going to wing it with any case for fear of being raked over the coals for one mistake in a thousand.

Ridiculous? Certainly, but we live in a time where so many have begged government to solve all our problems, protect us from all harm, and impose our version of how life should be on others. Then when government fails, we're the first to cry foul and call the lawyers.

sandsjames
01-20-2015, 12:00 AM
I heard about this a couple of days ago. It's hard for me to judge this because I don't know the circumstances as to what else goes on in the area, how "mature" the kids are, and all of that. I can't even count the number of times that I would be off with other kids at that age for hours. Of course "it was a different time" but I've heard of parents being "scolded" for letting their kids play in the front yard by themselves.

Again, I'd need more details. Too hard to judge from the facts given.

Mjölnir
01-20-2015, 12:28 AM
Fair point, the only information I have heard (I am semi local) has been from the family's side / point of view.

Do you think the issue would have progressed as it has had the dad been a little cooperative with the police officer at the outset? Kind of circling back to some other recent issues of civilian interaction with the police -- how does the posture, attitude, hostility of the people involve turn an otherwise non-issue into something it doesn't need to be?

sandsjames
01-20-2015, 10:30 AM
Fair point, the only information I have heard (I am semi local) has been from the family's side / point of view.

Do you think the issue would have progressed as it has had the dad been a little cooperative with the police officer at the outset? Kind of circling back to some other recent issues of civilian interaction with the police -- how does the posture, attitude, hostility of the people involve turn an otherwise non-issue into something it doesn't need to be?

It makes a huge issue. Anyone who gets defensive right away is going to escalate the situation. If the parents had just said something along the lines of "Thanks for letting me know, Officer", etc. then it might have ended different.

Rainmaker
01-20-2015, 03:33 PM
The first question this raises, is why are the Neighbors calling the Cops if they see kids playing outside ? ? After all. I thought Southern MD was supposed to be a Progressive Utopia full of Unicorns shitting Rainbow colored Skittles??

Just more of the Nanny State imposing themselves on the Citizenry Bullshit.

It's now the Patriotic duty of everyone of us to submit to constant Harassment from the Police, because something Bad MIGHT happen if we don't.