PDA

View Full Version : Retirement advice.....GO.

Shaken1976
01-15-2015, 07:51 PM
I punched the button. Last duty day is in October. Can't believe it is so close.

Rainmaker
01-15-2015, 08:15 PM
I punched the button. Last duty day is in October. Can't believe it is so close.

Congratulations and Welcome to the dark side. We've been waiting for you.......

efmbman
01-15-2015, 08:22 PM
If you plan to make a claim with the VA, get your medical records now. All of it. Even print out all the lab work. Nothing is insignificant.

Find the VA Center in your area. They will make copies of everything - that's what they are there for. Get them to assist in writing up the claim - they what it is supposed to look like. It is one of those forms that is easy to make a mistake on. Claims with mistakes go into one pile. Claims that can be processed quickly are processed quickly - that brings up the monthly claims metric.

Take full advantage of the transition briefings (by law, you must be allowed to attend).

To echo Rainmaker... welcome aboard. It only gets better!

sandsjames
Get your VA stuff started ASAP. Make copies of everything, even if you don't think it's relevant. And the final piece of advice is CHILL. The stuff they are going to bug you about between now and then just doesn't matter. And that first day you wake up after your retirement ceremony will be one of the happiest days of your life.

sandsjames
If you plan to make a claim with the VA, get your medical records now. All of it. Even print out all the lab work. Nothing is insignificant.

Find the VA Center in your area. They will make copies of everything - that's what they are there for. Get them to assist in writing up the claim - they what it is supposed to look like. It is one of those forms that is easy to make a mistake on. Claims with mistakes go into one pile. Claims that can be processed quickly are processed quickly - that brings up the monthly claims metric.

Take full advantage of the transition briefings (by law, you must be allowed to attend).

To echo Rainmaker... welcome aboard. It only gets better!

Damn...should have submitted quicker so it didn't look like I was copying you.

LogDog
01-16-2015, 01:26 AM
Concerning the advice about you medical records, I concur. You can request the hospital/clinic to make a copy of your records and they'll do it. I'd suggest you have it done no later than a month before you retire or your terminal leave. Also, if you have any medical or dental procedures needed do it now.

Take advantage of the Transition Assistance Program even if you've already got a job lined up.

When you process through personnel, double check your DD Form 214 and records to make sure they are accurate. I found an error on my records stating I completed maintenance training on jets which was wrong because my entire career was in the medical field.

Don't be surprised if you visit your old shop or friends still on active duty and see their attitude towards you changed. You're not retired and they're not.

Go luck and enjoy your retirement.

technomage1
01-16-2015, 05:23 AM
Where are you planning to retire?

efmbman
01-16-2015, 11:05 AM
Damn...should have submitted quicker so it didn't look like I was copying you.

No worries - besides lessons learned from retiring are best repeated. And to continue with what YOU posted...

The stuff between now and then truly does not matter. You may feel the pressure to ensure that your job will be accomplished after you are gone, but guess what? People retire every day and the military keeps on running. You may be missed, and you may miss some things, but bottom line: you need to worry about yourself and your family now. The AF can worry about how your void will be filled.

Mjölnir
01-16-2015, 11:11 AM
Congratulations

I suggest you get this shirt and wear it around

http://gearsandshifts.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/are-you-ready-for-retirement.jpg

Rollyn01
01-16-2015, 11:54 AM
Hop on in, the water is warm and the sun is shining bright. Like others said, bring your papers with you plus any receipts you may have saved in your junk draw. You'd be surprised what you can claim on your taxes as a business expense during your term of service (even if you have already got compensated for it by the military).

Shaken1976
01-16-2015, 02:20 PM
Where are you planning to retire?

I will stay here in San Antonio. My husband has a good job with USAA. His kids are close by. My family is in Houston, Austin, and Corpus.

I plan to just go to school full time for two years to finish my degree. Maybe do some substitute teaching between now and then.

I figure my first few months after retirement will be crazy busy. My daughter dances competitively and next year steps up to a tougher level....plus wants to do the Nutcracker. I figure this will be the best time to get both done.

technomage1
01-17-2015, 06:13 AM
I,
I will stay here in San Antonio. My husband has a good job with USAA. His kids are close by. My family is in Houston, Austin, and Corpus.

Sounds good. I'm looking at Wsiconsin myself. They don't tax military pensions, but do tax everyone else, so my pension will go further, plus there are a couple of military I stallions around and a decent VA.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
01-17-2015, 02:14 PM
Congrats on retirement. While you may miss the camaraderie with your former friends/co-workers, the new sense of freedom you will now experience is indescribable. The best advice to give you at this stage is all VA related, which you've already received. Even at a 40% rating, the $600+ tax free income I receive is nothing to sneeze at. It definitely helps!

One additional piece of advice I will give you is to (politely) ask about military discounts. I was surprised to learn how many businesses, at least in Vegas, treat retirees the same as active duty. Of course, I don't expect discounts...but it doesn't hurt to ask. Just don't ask for one at a national park. Active duty only.

Mcjohn1118
01-17-2015, 03:32 PM
Shaken, congrats on your retirement! It's well deserved. I've been retired since May 2014. Here's a few things I've learned. I don't know about San Antonio, but when filing your VA claim, don't do it on your own. Use a DAV rep or other rep to help you. Here at Wright-Patt, our DAV rep only does fully developed claims which can be prepared prior to your official retirement but can't be submitted until after. I don't know about filing the early claims while still active but patience is key in anything. I filed my claim Sept 2nd, received my appointment schedule from the VA in October, attended all my appointments in November and had my rating December 2nd. I'm still waiting on the back pay, but no issues with that. I know you're headed to school and that's great. If you decide to get back in the work force, never be afraid to ask for help: help to write, edit, review your resume or help with networking. I took about three weeks off after my ceremony to just relax and then started looking for employment. I was trying it on my own and it was a kick to my satchel that I wasn't hearing back from anyone. By July, I was nervous so I called a few folks, with my hat in hand and asked just to meet them for advice in getting employment. In August, I landed a gig. Finally, Contractor work is a great gig. Yes, there are drawbacks like contract renewals, etc, but for the most part, you make decent cash, very little stress unless you're supervisor, no recalls, no mandatory fun BS, no EPRS, etc. Again, congrats on your retirement. Welcome to the club!

SergeantJack
02-09-2015, 06:43 PM
I retired a year and a half ago, and I don't miss the Air Force at all. Retirement rocks.

sandsjames
02-09-2015, 07:58 PM
I retired a year and a half ago, and I don't miss the Air Force at all. Retirement rocks.

My job has me around the military guys as a civilian. The morning meetings that I used to hate are the highlight of my day...hearing all the BS things they have to do that day, etc. It's not that I take joy in their suffering. It's the joy I get from knowing I never have to deal with that crap again.

LogDog
02-09-2015, 09:10 PM
I retired 12 years ago and I really don't miss the work and I was a bit of a workaholic. Being able to get up in the morning when I want to, go wherever I want when I want to, not being tied to someone else's schedule or timetable, and not having to "report" to anyone is great.

You're right; retirement rocks.

CrustySMSgt
03-08-2015, 02:17 PM
CONGRATS!!

I'm rolling out at the same time! Though I don't have a choice, as it'll put me at 30 years 22 days!

Start your VA stuff 6 months out; if you delay until you retire, it'll take longer. Use the Veteran's Service Org that briefs your TAPS; they will know how best to deal with your local VA to set you up to make the best case for your disability claim.

Being lucky enough to be married to my lovely wife who retired as a SMSgt 3 years ago (and hasn't worked), I don't plan on working any harder than letting the tax payers pay me to grow a beard. Not a silly little goatee... I'm going full on Grizzly Adams!

I also have all but one semester of my GI bill, so I can take some fun classes like photography, geology, and stuff I WANT to do. I gave my daughter one semester, made her take all the classes she'd need to get her CCAF and then sent her off to get her own damn GI bill! :cool:

Shaken1976
04-10-2015, 03:25 PM
CONGRATS!!

I'm rolling out at the same time! Though I don't have a choice, as it'll put me at 30 years 22 days!

Start your VA stuff 6 months out; if you delay until you retire, it'll take longer. Use the Veteran's Service Org that briefs your TAPS; they will know how best to deal with your local VA to set you up to make the best case for your disability claim.

Being lucky enough to be married to my lovely wife who retired as a SMSgt 3 years ago (and hasn't worked), I don't plan on working any harder than letting the tax payers pay me to grow a beard. Not a silly little goatee... I'm going full on Grizzly Adams!

I also have all but one semester of my GI bill, so I can take some fun classes like photography, geology, and stuff I WANT to do. I gave my daughter one semester, made her take all the classes she'd need to get her CCAF and then sent her off to get her own damn GI bill! :cool:

My husband works for USAA and does pretty good there. If he gets this next promotion then I will not have to worry about work at all. As of now my plan is to collect retirement, go to school, and possibly do some substitute teaching. I would like to have the summers off to hang with my munchkins.