PDA

View Full Version : Paris and Boko haram

garhkal
01-12-2015, 08:46 PM
I was watching CNN at around 2:40 (EST) when they had a segment, on why is the media still focused only on Paris and the loss of 17 lives, when 2k+ was taken from the world by Boko Haram in Nigeria last week. Twice i noted a bit on the Fox news ticker about the 10 yr old girl used as a suicide bomber, but NOT one network that i can remember had anything more than that.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/12/africa/boko-haram-deadliest-attack/index.html

Is it cause Nigeria is in Africa, so compared to France in Europe is not seen as much of a publicity swinging spot?
Is it subtle racism?

efmbman
01-12-2015, 09:22 PM
Network news is a business. They will give their customers the expected product, or the customer will go elsewhere. Same reason Telemundo broadcasts in Spanish. There may be an economic aspect as well - our economy is tied to Europe more so than with Africa I would imagine.

Mjölnir
01-12-2015, 11:30 PM
I was watching CNN at around 2:40 (EST) when they had a segment, on why is the media still focused only on Paris and the loss of 17 lives, when 2k+ was taken from the world by Boko Haram in Nigeria last week. Twice i noted a bit on the Fox news ticker about the 10 yr old girl used as a suicide bomber, but NOT one network that i can remember had anything more than that.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/12/africa/boko-haram-deadliest-attack/index.html

Is it cause Nigeria is in Africa, so compared to France in Europe is not seen as much of a publicity swinging spot?
Is it subtle racism?

Racism, no. But a bunch of people dying in Africa has less 'oomf' as people dying in Europe, white or black we are not as closely connected to happenings in Nigeria as we are in France.

sandsjames
01-13-2015, 10:11 AM
The terror that hit France also hit us. It's easier for us to relate. If Boko Haram was to take a bunch of American hostages, we'd focus on it more from that point on.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
01-13-2015, 11:51 AM
I'm curious as to why our POTUS refuses to refer to these terrorists as what they are, Islamic Extremists. Radical Islam has declared war on Western society, yet the leader of the free world consistently wants to deny this. Why continue the appeasement? Even the president of Egypt is being honest as to where this major threat is originating.

sandsjames
01-13-2015, 03:41 PM
I'm curious as to why our POTUS refuses to refer to these terrorists as what they are, Islamic Extremists. Radical Islam has declared war on Western society, yet the leader of the free world consistently wants to deny this. Why continue the appeasement? Even the president of Egypt is being honest as to where this major threat is originating.

Did you hear the CNN reporter, Christiane Amanpour, refer to them as "activists"? It's almost painfully comical.