PDA

View Full Version : MEB - Follow-up thread

fufu
01-12-2015, 04:15 AM
http://forums.militarytimes.com/showthread.php/8639-Facing-MEB-Advice

I started the Review in lieu of(RILO) MEB in May. I was told this process would take 60 days.(ha!) It took until August to get the paperwork to my Commander, another 30 days to get it back to the MedGp.... It finally went to Randolph in Sept and was returned in Oct.

I was retained on active duty but given an assignment availability code of C-2. That means I can only be assigned CONUS, Hawaii and Alaska. Cool....I've been here for 9 years, 10 come May. So, being a MSgt, I called my functional directly. What I found out was disheartening.

I came here in 2005 on a BOP. That prevents me from a move to another CONUS assignment. My career field has no manning slots in Hawaii for MSgts. So, I'm left with Elmendorf. It looks like they are 100% manned and will be until late 2016. I'm ready for a change, but I'm stuck.

My functional said, "you have 3 options":

1) Get promoted - well I missed by 120 last year. I'll miss by more this year. There is no reason for my board score to improve, i.e. no new decs, no deployments, no strat, no PCA, nada

2) Apply for something on the equal plus - Well, most of those assignments require you to be world-wide deployable. I am not, my profile is indefinite. So thats out.

3) Wait for Elmendorf to open. - Not that I don't want to go to Alaska, I do. But, I'm not sure I want to do more than 20. If I have to wait 2 more years to get an assignment, I'll have to stay beyond 20.

Am I missing something? I've tried to talk with my Chief about making those old-school Chief phone calls, but he doesn't seem willing to help. Can/Should I call my CFM directly? Other options?

Mjölnir
01-12-2015, 04:18 AM
Recruiting?

fufu
01-12-2015, 04:28 AM
Recruiting?

Don't have the PT scores for that. All passing, but gotta have 2 over 80 for vectoring. My last one was 79.

Sq Goldn boy
02-05-2015, 03:01 PM
I have been ALC C2 for over 10 years. There is a waiver for everything. I have deployed many times with ALC-C2. Basically, the medical facility at the gaining installation will just need to accept you and sign the waiver. It can be a long process but it can be done.

fufu
02-06-2015, 03:20 AM
Whats been your experience with PCS? Have you even tried something outside the CONUS, AK or HI?

hustonj
02-10-2015, 06:30 PM
Am I missing something?

Because of EFMP, A-76 study freezes, and USAF-wide career field billet reductions (manning to reduce through attrition) I spent the last 11 of my 25 years in one unit, most of it as a MSgt. There was another guy stuck in place with me for the same reasons who out-ranked me (I retired first, actually), and he was in the senior-most MSgt billet for the career field in the unit, so there was no job promotion available.

I tried working a PCA transfer to other units on base. One loved my background and was really interested in having me join them, until they heard my date of rank. Then they said they couldn't afford to bump that many people down their chain to accept me . . .. The other "big" option didn't want me because they were busy trimming the active duty representation of my career field away. They literally had plans to eliminate the billets they COULD have moved me into.

EFMP actually cancelled the few PCS orders I managed to get assigned. Each cancellation made me immune to selection for another year! My desire to move was irrelevant.

It is an unusual set of circumstances that can do this to you, but it is not a unique experience within the USAF.

If you've looked into the PCA options, and those aren't going to work for you either, then it is time to recognize that your promotability is going to approach zero as you don't demonstrate change and/or growth in your duty responsibilities. Accepting that will help you focus on taking steps to secure your post-USAF career. This is something very few people take serious early enough. I didn't, but I got lucky. Learn from my mistake, and take advantage of your stability to improve your employability post-USAF.

How? That depends on what you want to do afterwards. Research it if you need to.